Vibe
Myesyats
The Demon of Carthage
Zagadka
Robespierre
44 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Coronavirus Thread - Part 1 - Page 18 Empty Re: The Coronavirus Thread - Part 1

Post by Freeza Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:05 am

So why exactly is this virus apparently more deadly for Italians than other countries that test a lot?

https://time.com/5798168/coronavirus-mortality-rate/

Maybe this hysteria about a basically non-lethal virus is actually good. Since it would prepare us for an actually bad one in the future.

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

The Coronavirus Thread - Part 1 - Page 18 Empty Re: The Coronavirus Thread - Part 1

Post by El Gunner Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:19 am

Myesyats wrote:Hey guys so i just woke up 1,5 hours ago and I've been feeling a certain numbness in the hands, wouldnt call it "muscle pain" but numbness and tingling? Also I've been a little tired like I'm carrying something on my shoulders (haven't been to work or to the gym in the last 3 days)

No shortness of breath, no cough, no headache, no temperature.

Could it be something or just nerves playing tricks with me? I'm staying isolated

could be paranoia. Maybe still talk to friends and families, honestly dude you don't have to isolate yourself. You're young so it won't kill you but related psychological affects might shake you up a lot.

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I don't think people here are necessarily worried about themselves. We're all in the age group that is virtually guaranteed to make it.

But if, through us, our older loved ones got it, that is cause for concern. I think that would definitely weigh on me.

pretty much this. This is my only concern as well. I'm in Namibia at the moment and I've been thinking about going to back to Joburg because i want to find a job there and i still have possessions there at the place i'm still paying rent for. However, i've been thinking twice a lot about it since yesterday. What if i catch it going to Joburg and pass it back to my family and community (here in Namibia i live with my mum's grandparents) if i inevitably have to come back (in case of nationality deportation if the virus worsens and it comes to that, or just because my visitor visa expires).

I think the wisest thing is to stay with my family for now.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:24 am

El Gunner wrote:
Myesyats wrote:Hey guys so i just woke up 1,5 hours ago and I've been feeling a certain numbness in the hands, wouldnt call it "muscle pain" but numbness and tingling? Also I've been a little tired like I'm carrying something on my shoulders (haven't been to work or to the gym in the last 3 days)

Could it be something or just nerves playing tricks with me? I'm staying isolated

could be paranoia. Maybe still talk to friends and families, honestly dude you don't have to isolate yourself. You're young so it won't kill you but related psychological affects might shake you up a lot.

I'm still keeping in touch, just from a distance for at least a day or two. I'm calm that it's nothing and I won't be affected, its probably nerves.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:51 am

sportsczy wrote:The death rate is 3%.  It's very high in comparison to other things OF COURSE...  but I also think that the % is skewed up because most people who don't feel really ill aren't getting tested.

At the end of the day, it will probably land around 1%.

Stay safe...  but you have 97-99% chance of pulling through.

It's not the end of the world.

The mortality rate is more in line with 3.8% for the general population, almost 5% for men and around 2.8% for women. WHO representants flew to Wuhan and did lots of antibody tests among the general population to recognize the amount of people who were ill but weren't admitted ( antibodies are developed in response to the sickness and remain for the time being in the blood plasma). They also considered dead bodies which were cremated without testing for the Covid-19 because logisticaly and for disease prevention, it wasn't possible at that time. For that they compared the amount of the deceased with the yearly average in Wuhan to pinpoint the extra deaths due to Covid-19. They still arrived at 3.8%.
South Korea does the most extensive amount of indiscriminate testing, even the mild cases. There you have 54 fatalities compared to 247 recovered. Assume that the recovery lags by 1-2 weeks behind the diseased, we could take a factor of 4, 8 or 16 (depending on the infection rate, right now slowing down considerably in S.Korea) for recovery then:
54/(54 + 4 * 247) * 100% = 5.18%
54/(54 + 8 * 247) * 100% = 2.66%
54/(54 + 16 * 247) * 100% = 1.35%
As you see, the rate is always over 1%. The Chinese doctor who discovered the first cases died in his thirties, his chief weeks later in his fifties. I don't think there is enough evidence to estimate the mortality rate for people under 50. The reason is that elder people and peeps with preconditions are weaker so they die faster. In a healthy adult, it can take up to 40 days for an outcome. The Chinese numbers suggest the outcome is grossly positive for the ones below 50 but China had an agenda. Helpers from all of the country would't go to Wuhan if they knew their lives would be at risk. I don't trust their numbers in that spectrum. I'd rather watch Italy for 3 more weeks to assume what the outcome really is for the people below 50.
So hold your horses and keep yourself safe until we know more about the sickness.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:04 am

Freeza wrote:So why exactly is this virus apparently more deadly for Italians than other countries that test a lot?

Maybe this hysteria about a basically non-lethal virus is actually good. Since it would prepare us for an actually bad one in the future.

Italians are only testing symptomatic cases whereas countries with lower mortality are pre emptively testing, if I understand correctly. Ie the true number of cases in Italy is higher and the number we get is limited by how much testing they can do.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:11 am

Freeza wrote:So why exactly is this virus apparently more deadly for Italians than other countries that test a lot?

maybe this one was man made to test the worlds response to a bad one. hmm
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 am

Thought this was a good article on putting the virus in context:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-03-05/how-bad-is-the-coronavirus-let-s-compare-with-sars-ebola-flu
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:30 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Thought this was a good article on putting the virus in context:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-03-05/how-bad-is-the-coronavirus-let-s-compare-with-sars-ebola-flu

Bookmarked to show the dumbfucks. Thanks
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:53 am

what is that little machine they use to scan people's foreheads at airports and places of public gathering?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:58 am

El Gunner wrote:what is that little machine they use to scan people's foreheads at airports and places of public gathering?

Thermometers?
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:01 am

Thermometers
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:07 am

El Gunner wrote:what is that little machine they use to scan people's foreheads at airports and places of public gathering?

It's a speedometer, you're not allowed to walk too fast at airports and public gatherings, it's to prevent stampedes.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:36 am

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/18294343.second-confirmed-coronavirus-case-greenwich-found-gallions-reach-gp-practice/

this is less than half a mile from my house.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 am

Art Morte wrote:

It's a speedometer, you're not allowed to walk too fast at airports and public gatherings, it's to prevent stampedes.

This is pretty funny, well played
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:08 am

The Coronavirus Thread - Part 1 - Page 18 Simpsons-coronavirus

Is there anything The Simpsons haven't predicted?
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:35 am

Pretty sure that last photo is doctored. So that's one of the lesser incredible predictions they've made.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:09 am

El Gunner wrote:

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I don't think people here are necessarily worried about themselves. We're all in the age group that is virtually guaranteed to make it.

But if, through us, our older loved ones got it, that is cause for concern. I think that would definitely weigh on me.

pretty much this. This is my only concern as well. I'm in Namibia at the moment and I've been thinking about going to back to Joburg because i want to find a job there and i still have possessions there at the place i'm still paying rent for. However, i've been thinking twice a lot about it since yesterday. What if i catch it going to Joburg and pass it back to my family and community (here in Namibia i live with my mum's grandparents) if i inevitably have to come back (in case of nationality deportation if the virus worsens and it comes to that, or just because my visitor visa expires).

I think the wisest thing is to stay with my family for now.

Joburg Proud

I like that place because of my boys Cristopher and Chappie
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:41 am

Vibe wrote:The Coronavirus Thread - Part 1 - Page 18 Simpsons-coronavirus

Is there anything The Simpsons haven't predicted?

The original had the "Osaka virus" from Japan. This is fake news
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:41 am

373 cases in the UK now. 6th person has died.

We are going to go beyond Italy in terms of cases very soon.

Went to get handwash in one of the big stores today (genuine reason and not panic buying) and every shelf was empty.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:59 am

Jesus Greenwich is like 30 minutes on the train from me Shocked
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:59 am

Hope your work has working from home option mole.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:00 pm

Also i really can't see Euro2020 happening. Probably moved to next year or have it in winter
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:01 pm

RealGunner wrote:Hope your work has working from home option mole.

I do a lot of the time anyway, probably why nothing has really changed for me.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Zagadka Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 pm

RealGunner wrote:Also i really can't see Euro2020 happening. Probably moved to next year or have it in winter

I can't see this season's CL completed to be honest.

having 4 of this weeks' matches with no fans just kills the tournament tbh.

Guess I won't be as gutted if we went out tomorrow.

just want to PL sealed and done before international break (what's the point btw, all games are cancelled???)
Zagadka
Zagadka
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Been sick for a week. Its turned to difficulty breathing, chest pain, sore throat, headache, was in Italy in february.

Called the local hospital in Brussels. Put me through to a doctor, in a very quick dismissive way asked me where in italy I had come from, said Rome, she replied "rome is not a dangerous zone"... Ok. Told me to call my GP, told her I dont have one since I have never been sick in belgium, "find one near you"

Called and left a voicemail to a GP, no reply.

What a response by the Belgian health system. No one has told me, a person arriving from Italy exhibiting symptoms, to stay home and avoid contact with others.

If I was less mindful I wouldn't care and just continue my life as normal, infecting everyone around in the case that it is coronavirus
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:07 pm

Hope you get better soon @rincon
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next