The Movie House - Part 11

+35
Babun
elitedam
rincon
Robespierre
Sina
Zagadka
Young Kaz
Lucifer
Kick
Blue
Warrior
Nishankly
Thimmy
Onyx
Hapless_Hans
Vibe
jibers
CBarca
Harmonica
Firenze
The Demon of Carthage
Arquitecto
Great Leader Sprucenuce
futbol
Glory
Kaladin
McAgger
M99
McLewis
BarrileteCosmico
Myesyats
RealGunner
Unique
Freeza
El Gunner
39 posters

Page 17 of 42 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29 ... 42  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Freeza Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:39 pm

RealGunner wrote:Right. I don't want this discussion in this topic. Take it to the racism thread.



Literally every thread on here is a racism thread at this point.

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Posts : 23356
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by CBarca Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:43 pm

El Gunner wrote:Hell Snowpiercer, a previous film of Bong Joon-ho, delivers better commentary on class dynamics, alas it doesn't have the stylish technicality and comedic writing of Parasite. But i suppose Parasite just found itself in the right time and place in film history to cater to the average modern day cinegeek who hasn't listened to a hint of conscious hip hop, or haven't read any Marxist inspired tales across different mediums or enough on general economic structures in their life thus they were so blown away by it, and hence its critical success.


I mean, sure, Parasite isn't the greatest movie of all time, we know this.

But what do you say to those who have "listened to conscious hip hop" or have read "Marxist inspired tales" or "general economic structures" (whatever you mean by that) and ALSO thought that Parasite was fucking brilliant? I certainly identify with that group.

I also believe that, while the commentary of Parasite is insightful and important, it's simply the story itself, the directing, the acting, and more than anything, the suspense, that is highly deserving of this award.

You don't have to even analyze the movie and critique it's message to see that it's easily one of the best films of the year (if not the best, which I would argue)
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao
Posts : 20219
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by CBarca Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 pm

I think you're being really presumptuous to assume that people are blown away by the film because they haven't read anything on "class warfare" before
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao
Posts : 20219
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Unique wrote:I will have to suffer the Intense boredom of watching some random film from South Korea just so I can satisfy my own mind that it was indeed a better film than the Irishman what was a great film made by some of the greatest film makers in history because I would hate to think parasite got the awards over the Irishman because they don't want to be called racist. If I think it's a better film than the Irishman I will hold my hands up and admit it. So we will see.

Imagine thinking parasite will give you intense boredom, especially compared to the Irishman where the main "twist" of the ending is so predictable you see it coming 2.5 hours ahead Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 27567
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Freeza Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:34 pm

What about The Irishman is a twist? Can’t really think of anything.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs
Posts : 23356
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 pm

Of the titles that I watched (once upon, marriage story, little women & the Irishman) I thought Parasite was a worthy winner. Suspenseful throughout, fresh, funny, timely and relevant. But it was a weak year (again).
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 27567
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by CBarca Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:06 am

It was a weak year, but Parasite is definitely better than Green Book and The Shape of Water, so the best film of this year was at least well deserving of the last couple years.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao
Posts : 20219
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Freeza Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:21 am

CBarca wrote:It was a weak year, but Parasite is definitely better than Green Book and The Shape of Water, so the best film of this year was at least well deserving of the last couple years.


Is it weak though?

I think it has been pretty good from the films I've watched so far. Still have to catch up with a lot though, since it's hard to form a total opinion on any year (American schedule) before summer of the following year.

Still feel like 2011 and 2012 are the only weak years of the last decade.

Paraside, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Marriage Story. Those are three films I think will stay with me for a long time. Can't really ask for more than that from any year.

Then there's plenty other movies that will only grow over time for me like High Flying Bird (still feel like it's been criminally undiscussed. Really terrible release from Netflix who bet on the wrong Soderbergh movie this year. Also think Long Shot, John Wick 3, Knives Out will have great rewatch value. Also the first half of Triple Frontier.

Also a great year from Danish film, which is usually not my cup of tea. There was Dronningen (Queen of Hearts), Ser Du Månen Daniel (Daniel), and Cold Case Hammarskjöld. All three are great movies in their own right.

I really think a lot of you guys on here would love the latter. It's a documentary entirely in English by the Danish filmmaker Mads Brügger, who investigates what happened when Dag Hammerskjöld suddenly died in a planecrash back in the 1960s. It's a really riveting experience and the documentary really swings for the fences.

Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs
Posts : 23356
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Unique Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:22 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Unique wrote:I will have to suffer the Intense boredom of watching some random film from South Korea just so I can satisfy my own mind that it was indeed a better film than the Irishman what was a great film made by some of the greatest film makers in history because I would hate to think parasite got the awards over the Irishman because they don't want to be called racist. If I think it's a better film than the Irishman I will hold my hands up and admit it. So we will see.

Imagine thinking parasite will give you intense boredom, especially compared to the Irishman where the main "twist" of the ending is so predictable you see it coming 2.5 hours ahead Laughing
I suppose it comes down to taste. The Irishman was based on a true story and was made by some of the greatest film makers in history and I like the style of the film and the topic. Sitting there listening to koreans waffle on for 2 Hours would give me a headache.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 18138
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 47

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:39 am

Freeza wrote:
Is it weak though?

Still feel like 2011 and 2012 are the only weak years of the last decade.

Paraside, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Marriage Story. Those are three films I think will stay with me for a long time. Can't really ask for more than that from any year.

Honestly haven't thought about Once or Marriage Story much at all like 2 days after watching either. Definitely don't feel what you do about them.

Film in general feels weak for the past few years. Only the blockbusters survive and TV is syphoning off more talent into it. But maybe I just don't know where to look, I'm sure there's much greatness I'm missing out on.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 27567
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by M99 Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:13 am

Completely disagree on this being a weak year. I thought it was a great year and far better than 2018. OUTAIH, Irishman, Marriage Story, Endgame and I Lost My Body will I am pretty sure stick with me for a long time.

Yet to watch 1917, Little Women, Jojo Rabbit, Weathering With You, The Lighthouse, Two Popes, Uncut Gems, Midsommar.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 30238
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 99

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by El Gunner Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:22 am

CBarca wrote:I think you're being really presumptuous to assume that people are blown away by the film because they haven't read anything on "class warfare" before

That part of my post was mostly sarcasm to my astonishment of it being Letterboxd's #1 film of all time per user ratings. Honestly, in my right mind i can't see how that could ever be the case.
But i already explained what Letterboxd has turned into.

I have no problem with Parasite winning the Oscar, like i said i don't care about the Oscars anymore.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 20417
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by El Gunner Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 am

And also CB or anyone that loves Parasite so much pls explain how Parasite's commentary on capitalism and class dynamics are so "insightful and important"?
That the poor are confined to being poor even if a small section violently revolts and the rich are confined to stay rich and there's nothing that can be done to eradicate that structure?

Is that your flag waving commentary on capitalism that you're so proud of? Seems like nothing original to me with no stand taken by the artist. Simple capitalism, we know that's how it works.
Also if a film concerns itself with a political topic, it opens itself to critical political analysis, there's no two ways about it. You can't just rate and review the film on it's technical aspects of film storytelling then.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 20417
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by CBarca Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:21 pm

El Gunner wrote:
CBarca wrote:I think you're being really presumptuous to assume that people are blown away by the film because they haven't read anything on "class warfare" before

That part of my post was mostly sarcasm to my astonishment of it being Letterboxd's #1 film of all time per user ratings. Honestly, in my right mind i can't see how that could ever be the case.
But i already explained what Letterboxd has turned into.

I have no problem with Parasite winning the Oscar, like i said i don't care about the Oscars anymore.


Most online rating sites are, by their nature, overreacting. That's what the online world is like. You're taking its rating on letterboxd way too seriously.

I don't think anyone on there seriously considers it the greatest film of all time. And I think you're just hating because of that.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao
Posts : 20219
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 26

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Freeza Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:30 pm

CBarca wrote:
El Gunner wrote:
CBarca wrote:I think you're being really presumptuous to assume that people are blown away by the film because they haven't read anything on "class warfare" before

That part of my post was mostly sarcasm to my astonishment of it being Letterboxd's #1 film of all time per user ratings. Honestly, in my right mind i can't see how that could ever be the case.
But i already explained what Letterboxd has turned into.

I have no problem with Parasite winning the Oscar, like i said i don't care about the Oscars anymore.


Most online rating sites are, by their nature, overreacting. That's what the online world is like. You're taking its rating on letterboxd way too seriously.

I don't think anyone on there seriously considers it the greatest film of all time. And I think you're just hating because of that.


Exactly. Also ratings on those sites can only accurately compare films released while the platform has been popular really. Movies before the internet will naturally have fewer ratings and the ratings will reflect that.

Also never films who are higher rated will likely fall as time passes and more people watch or re-watch them. Opinions and taste will change or stay the same.

Godfather has also had 50 years of opinions and narrative talked about and it’s to guess and compare current movies to that, when they haven’t had the same chance to build a culture impact yet.

Parasite is well on its way. It’s hard to understate how monumental its win last night was for the future of film.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs
Posts : 23356
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by El Gunner Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:24 pm

CBarca wrote:
El Gunner wrote:
CBarca wrote:I think you're being really presumptuous to assume that people are blown away by the film because they haven't read anything on "class warfare" before

That part of my post was mostly sarcasm to my astonishment of it being Letterboxd's #1 film of all time per user ratings. Honestly, in my right mind i can't see how that could ever be the case.
But i already explained what Letterboxd has turned into.

I have no problem with Parasite winning the Oscar, like i said i don't care about the Oscars anymore.


Most online rating sites are, by their nature, overreacting. That's what the online world is like. You're taking its rating on letterboxd way too seriously.

I don't think anyone on there seriously considers it the greatest film of all time. And I think you're just hating because of that.

If it continues to hold that position, future generations will think of it that way. That's how it works, such film culture clubs are influential to adding to a film's culture and legacy. Just a shame that it had to be a film like Parasite.

And no I'm not just hating because of that, it's a combination of various factors and I've made myself clear already on those factors. So I'll just leave it at that.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 20417
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Unique Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Freeza wrote:
CBarca wrote:
El Gunner wrote:

That part of my post was mostly sarcasm to my astonishment of it being Letterboxd's #1 film of all time per user ratings. Honestly, in my right mind i can't see how that could ever be the case.
But i already explained what Letterboxd has turned into.

I have no problem with Parasite winning the Oscar, like i said i don't care about the Oscars anymore.


Most online rating sites are, by their nature, overreacting. That's what the online world is like. You're taking its rating on letterboxd way too seriously.

I don't think anyone on there seriously considers it the greatest film of all time. And I think you're just hating because of that.


Exactly. Also ratings on those sites can only accurately compare films released while the platform has been popular really. Movies before the internet will naturally have fewer ratings and the ratings will reflect that.

Also never films who are higher rated will likely fall as time passes and more people watch or re-watch them. Opinions and taste will change or stay the same.

Godfather has also had 50 years of opinions and narrative talked about and it’s to guess and compare current movies to that, when they haven’t had the same chance to build a culture impact yet.

Parasite is well on its way. It’s hard to understate how monumental its win last night was for the future of film.
whats so monumental about it
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 18138
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 47

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Freeza Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:43 pm

It’s going to be a gateway movie that will introduce international cinema to more people from English speaking countries.

A best picture win is monumental in the way that it forces people to watch it if they want to engage in movie discussion.

Today at my work it got a huge boost in sales and all shows have been sold out. It was about to fade in ticket sales before the win. This helped.

It just makes me so happy that it’ll force more people to expand their view horizon and actually watch movies with subtitles now.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs
Posts : 23356
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:06 pm

El Gunner wrote:And also CB or anyone that loves Parasite so much pls explain how Parasite's commentary on capitalism and class dynamics are so "insightful and important"?
That the poor are confined to being poor even if a small section violently revolts and the rich are confined to stay rich and there's nothing that can be done to eradicate that structure?

Is that your flag waving commentary on capitalism that you're so proud of? Seems like nothing original to me with no stand taken by the artist. Simple capitalism, we know that's how it works.
Also if a film concerns itself with a political topic, it opens itself to critical political analysis, there's no two ways about it. You can't just rate and review the film on it's technical aspects of film storytelling then.

I mean, it's not, but is anyone saying this here? This seems to me like the narrative the progressive media chose to "explain" the victory, but I haven't talked to anyone that said that's the reason they liked the movie.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 27567
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Arquitecto Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:48 pm

Sidenote: EG and CB have grown so much from what I remember in my prime posting days. Keep it up my brothers.

As for Oscars

"BREAKING: Oscar viewership hits All-Time Low with 23.6 million viewers."


Colour me surprised Laughing
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Sociedad
Posts : 11632
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by M99 Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:00 pm

Arquitecto wrote:Sidenote: EG and CB have grown so much from what I remember in my prime posting days. Keep it up my brothers.

As for Oscars

"BREAKING: Oscar viewership hits All-Time Low with 23.6 million viewers."


Colour me surprised Laughing


I have been reading this headline annually for the past five years. Traditional TV itself is dying. People don't want to take the time out of their day t watch an award show for hours when they can get relevant videos from Twitter and Youtube immediately after.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 30238
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 99

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by El Gunner Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Thanks Arq
Growing up isn't all that fun though, it comes with having to face a few hard truths along the way.

M99 makes a good point above.
Still think though there is a general relevancy to the view that the people are not taking the Oscars as seriously anymore
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 20417
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 25

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Freeza Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:31 pm

M99 wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:Sidenote: EG and CB have grown so much from what I remember in my prime posting days. Keep it up my brothers.

As for Oscars

"BREAKING: Oscar viewership hits All-Time Low with 23.6 million viewers."


Colour me surprised Laughing


I have been reading this headline annually for the past five years. Traditional TV itself is dying. People don't want to take the time out of their day t watch an award show for hours when they can get relevant videos from Twitter and Youtube immediately after.


It's literally every fucking thing except live sports. Only thing that is't plummeting ratings is that.

Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs
Posts : 23356
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Freeza Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:38 pm



This movie is back on schedule after it was pulled due to republicans being offended they were being hunted.

Always found the outrage over this one wild as it's so fucking obvious it's against the rich/elites.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs
Posts : 23356
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by RealGunner Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 pm

Someone book iMax tickets for Unique for that film ffs
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 89381
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Unique Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:47 pm

23.6million viewers dont sound bad tbh. i would have thought it would have been much less than that.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 18138
Join date : 2015-01-19
Age : 47

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 11 - Page 17 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 11

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 42 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29 ... 42  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum