nasir6371
rwo power
RealGunner
46 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

UEFA Champions League Revamp - Page 8 Empty Re: UEFA Champions League Revamp

Post by rwo power Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:29 am

Wasn't it always an uphill task considering up to 3 or 4 rounds of qualifying before getting into the group stage?

rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:37 am

Honestly though from a viewers perspective, just look at the amount of the 'lesser' teams this year :

Rostov
Ludogorets
Legia Warsaw
Dinamo Zagreb
Club Brugge
Copenhagen

I might have excluded a few more but these teams hardly ever get out of the groups when given the opportunity.

People who are saying this is in justifiable are the same people who will be moaning months later about the quality of the group stages and how shit the groups are. The overall quality of the competition is being improved and likewise the viewership. It all boils down to that.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:40 am

Not so long ago this clown Hans was moaning about how shit the expanded Euro's are but now he conveniently comes to defend the 'smaller' teams trying to sound like some hero or something. Stfu with the hypocrisy. And don't tell me it's not the same.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:49 am

S wrote:Honestly though from a viewers perspective, just look at the amount of the 'lesser' teams this year :

Rostov
Ludogorets
Legia Warsaw
Dinamo Zagreb
Club Brugge
Copenhagen

I might have excluded a few more but these teams hardly ever get out of the groups when given the opportunity.

People who are saying this is in justifiable are the same people who will be moaning months later about the quality of the group stages and how shit the groups are. The overall quality of the competition is being improved and likewise the viewership. It all boils down to that.

This is a Uefa competition. UEFA is the European football asociation, not the West European one.
These teams are teams viewers and fans from Russia, Bulgaria, Croatia etc can follow or root for.
Not sure what's the problem with that? If I want to see Juve vs Milan, I could watch Serie A.
These teams are always good for surprises, and increase the diversity of the competition.

Last season we had 5 Spanish clubs and it was annoying. In the future, this kind of sight will increase.

It's a pity UEFA will give more to the big teams and leagues, instead of giving underdog teams and nations a fair chance and seat at the table.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:51 am

S wrote:Not so long ago this clown Hans was moaning about how shit the expanded Euro's are but now he conveniently comes to defend the 'smaller' teams trying to sound like some hero or something. Stfu with the hypocrisy. And don't tell me it's not the same.

It's not the same.

I've reached the end of my patience with you, Sugar. I'm done. I'll mess you up bad you little *bleep*
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:53 am

These teams qualified for cl ...I know teams who hardly ever qualifies when put in a qualifier system.

As if Roma and Fiorentina are going to improve the quality of group stage. The 3rd and 4th placed teams from Italy and many 4th placed teams from other leagues are proven EL teams as shown by their inability to even crack the qualifier.

Guess, more teams getting scrubs with historic names next season.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:58 am

Those who fears meritocracy are those who are untalented, in this case serie Z Laughing

Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:00 am

I'm sure now that you don't understand how the qualifying and coefficients work. Teams are split in the playoffs to make it easier for competitors of smaller leagues. You can like or not. But thats how it is.

Its the reason why you have Roma, Porto, Ajax, Monaco, Villareal, BMG, Manchester City, etc. on one bracket. While the other bracket has Be'er Sheva, Legia, Red Bull, Dundalk, Ludogorets, Plzen, etc.

If you were really up for pure sporting merit then you'd want the seeding system to be same across the board instead of separating the teams from bigger leagues to play with each other. And guess what the outcome would be then? more teams from big leagues would be in the group stage.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nivash Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:33 am

S wrote:Honestly though from a viewers perspective, just look at the amount of the 'lesser' teams this year :

Rostov
Ludogorets
Legia Warsaw
Dinamo Zagreb
Club Brugge
Copenhagen

Truth be told, the 'historical merit' teams aren't any more watchable. They're not in the CL because they're generally shit. Increased fan bases don't change that.

Nivash
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Adit wrote:Those who fears meritocracy are those who are untalented, in this case serie Z Laughing

The burro league's coefficient is similar to Serie A's. Therefore, the burro league is similarly situated.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Adit wrote:Those who fears meritocracy are those who are untalented, in this case serie Z Laughing

I do not fear meritocracy. I welcome it.

I do not support this revamp, even if it will probably end up benefiting my club down the road. I think it drives down the competitiveness that comes with having fewer CL spots, which drives down motivation and incentive for teams like Roma and Fiorentina to make the extra needed pushes to ensure they get in and stay in the CL. Just handing out a 4th automatic group spot takes away from that because now these clubs don't have to work anywhere near as hard.

So no I'm not in favor of this move. I prefer teams who earn there passage into the CL to represent their leagues. I feel for the fans of smaller clubs who are now disadvantaged by this.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:50 pm

Official: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2398899.html

Not sure why people are blaming Serie A for this, the real reason for this is that England is in danger of dropping to 4th and UEFA can't let that happen or miss out on tons of revenue. If it were for Serie A this would have happened years ago.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:00 pm

I didn't really have a problem with the "historical" coefficient boost until I read that one of the 4 criteria for payout will be the coefficient. That's some high grade bull shit. So historical teams get more money simply because of past success AND a higher likelihood of progressing and making more money off that as well?!
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:04 pm

I was reasonably confident that Serie A would have overtaken the EPL this or next year but I did not believe the EPL should lose a place. This new format solves the problem. Thanks for posting the confirmation of the new format.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:08 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I didn't really have a problem with the "historical" coefficient boost until I read that one of the 4 criteria for payout will be the coefficient. That's some high grade bull shit. So historical teams get more money simply because of past success AND a higher likelihood of progressing and making more money off that as well?!

It is only one of the pillars, and we don't know how much weight it will be given, i.e. the same, less or more than the others. Hopefully, it was a small negotiation concession to the historical clubs and will not represent a large part of the calculation.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:11 pm

My suggestion would be; if any team is given access to CL due to their past successes, they should, at the very least, appear in qualifying play-off.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:12 pm

It could help clubs like Ajax, Porto, Benfica, Red Star etc. Even a small amount more would be more beneficial to those kind of clubs who have far smaller budgets.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Europe always makes me laugh with their "regulations"...  UK, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany are the only exceptions.

All the other trade groups or governments pass such blatantly stupid or corrupt (often both) regulations, rules, laws, etc. that all you can do is laugh Laughing

And then when everything falls apart and they are overtaken and passed by a competing party, they cry as if there's an injustice to it Laughing

UEFA is lucky that it's a monopoly and doesn't face any threats because the stuff they pull is outrageous. This new CL format is the most elitist and anti-competition utter crap that I have ever seen.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Really dislike this revamp. Instead should give the #1 ranked League an extra CL spots as a rewarded. No reason why 2nd/3rd/4th league should have the same # of teams of the top league.

This would actually force Leagues to get better. No argument against it except for "Muh Historic team" and "Muh Money Grab" :coffee:

Top 5 Leagues
1. 4+.5*
2. 4
3. 3+.5
4. 3
5. 2+.5

.5*= Starts in the last qualification round to get into Group Stages
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:34 pm

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:43 pm

People can criticise UEFA but the alternative is the big boys pull away and form a super league. TBH I'm happy with this. The group stages will draw more viewership = more sponsorship money, which is the whole reason for this. It's all about money at the end of the day whether people like it or not.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:47 pm

breva wrote:It could help clubs like Ajax, Porto, Benfica, Red Star etc. Even a small amount more would be more beneficial to those kind of clubs who have far smaller budgets.

At what cost? Take Ajax for example. We won't have enough money to compete with the big clubs and participating in the CL won't change that. It's great for us but the gap is several 100m without CL and it's several 100m with CL.

It would be a problem for the other dutch clubs however, because you can't give us the spot if you don't take it away from someone else. The dutch league currently has 1 team in the group stage and 1 qualification spot. Giving Ajax a locked place in the CL groups would mean the rest of the dutch league can only fight for a qualification spot.

What if the league falls down a bit further and loses the 2 spots in the CL? We are in the CL no matter what we do and even the champion of the league has to play EL? It would destroy the league because compared to the other dutch top clubs the CL money is huge and they couldn't even challenge us regardless of how they perform.

Of course it would be the same or even worse for some other leagues. Sure Ajax or Red Star would benefit from the rule. But imo it would only make them pretty much unchallangable in their own league while changing (next to) nothing internationally.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Well the rule has been made, so all we can do is see what happens.
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:07 pm

Actually just my mistake. I thought you were still talking about a potential future CL spot based on historical merit.

But we'll get more money from Europe. Depending on how much they weigh past success it might be a lot more actually.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:15 am

@Zigra

I just wonder why Ajax does comparatively bad when compared to, say, Basel. The Swiss league is probably very comparable to the Dutch league, but still it appears as if the Dutch top clubs give a worse account of themselves than the Swiss clubs. And mind you, Ajax has an exemplary academy, so they should be able to generate quite some income that way!
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:28 am

Average/bad coach and worse board. It's that simple really.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next