MJ
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
El Gunner
Sri
37 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Chumlum Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:28 pm

After Xhaka, if we get RicRod and Vardy, my initial reaction isn't one of tactics or judgment about whether it's a good/bad set of decisions, it's ...

Spoiler:

I mean, damn, who would have seen this coming? Laughing

Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by El Gunner Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:44 pm

Chumlum wrote:
RealGunner wrote:What a player

Reminds me of Gerd Muller with a hint of Platini.

He's more like a goalscoring Pele, I think. I call him the English Rooney.

Rooney is English as well hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Not sure if srs.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:53 pm

this Antonio Čolak guy looks beast on youtube. Lets sign him.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:23 am

Was genuinely surprised to read the news when I woke up. Came in here for reactions, not disappointed.

While buying the top scorer is SAF-last-season-esque, AW is not a man to prioritize short term thinking. For the same reason, the short-term-striker-while-Welbz-injured theory also doesn't hold.

And 4 year, 140k contract for a soon-to-be-30-y.o. possibly-one-season-wonder player?

All this screams smokescreen to me. hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:43 am

Wenger on Vardy back in december.

“Yes he is worth £30m, because he is the best goal-scorer in the league. You have many players under him who have been paid much more, and who don’t score that number of goals. Without a doubt, he is worth that money today.”

“The mystery behind Vardy, at 28 years old, is why nobody bought him before. And why did he not have that success before? But today, of course, nobody would dispute [his worth].”

“If you put that in the context of the financial power today of the top clubs, £30m is not that massive for a striker. Just compare it to Anthony Martial"

“The society today always wants something new. We have news every half an hour, or every minute. But football is as well about cohesion, about stability. Cohesion is an underrated factor in our society.”
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:44 am

We're signing the best striker in the league guys.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:22 am

Signing Vardy makes sense on a number of levels even if it isn't perfect.

The comparisons to RVP are shallow. Comparing him to Ian Wright makes more sense except, in that regard, he has a lot ahead of him if he wants to prove he's a quality striker.

£20m for Vardy, a 24 goal POTY award and league winner seems a low risk investment, even if he's 29, compared to our other targets.

We've all discussed our doubts about Alvaro Morata's goalscoring record. How much do RM want for him? €50m +

Lukaku, who, statistically, is actually inferior to Giroud in terms of non-penalty goals per 90, would cost even more than that and seems keen on Chelsea.

Higuain is an obvious upgrade but he'd be the most expensive of them all. Aubameyang would also be ridiculously pricey.

So, maybe Vardy is Wenger's last throw of the dice. Xhaka and possibly Rodriguez + Vardy this early on in the summer makes me happy. Just glad to see us active and if Wenger thinks he can make a player like Vardy who thrives on quick, counter attacking football work at Arsenal then maybe he's even seeing the virtue in playing that style at times, as we tend to do in big games sometimes.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:43 am

No vardy is not a risky signing, he's just a bad one.

Wenger doesn't want Lacazette lmao. He's lost the plot then. Put in 30-35 million and Aulas sells him no doubt. Wenger needs to go tbh
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:02 am

EL Patron wrote:Arsene hasn't made any attempt to sign Lacazette because he knows Aulas will hold out for at least 40 mill which is a ridiculous price for him to be honest. If Vardy flops, we will be stuck with Giroud, Vardy and Wellbeck so no space for an upgrade :facepalm:

So 40m is a ridiculous price for a 25 year old striker who averages 20+ league goals and can play in multiple positions, yet 20m for 29 year old one season wonder Vardy who stumbled upon a perfect storm season after playing lower divisions all his career is a steal?
And 50m for Morata who averages 4 goals or something..

Why not get Christian Fuchs as Gibbs replacement while you're at it? I'm sure he will be cheaper than RicRod.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:24 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:
yet 20m for 29 year old one season wonder Vardy who stumbled upon a perfect storm season after playing lower divisions all his career

I have mixed feelings about it but this is pretty dismissive. Might as well write the 2015/16 season off as a fluke for the whole team and forget about it just because it doesn't make sense on paper.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:31 am

This is not at all about dismissing or writing Leicester's title win off.

Leicester's title win is sensational, and Vardy's performance in it was sensational as well, along with other improbable players like Kante, Fuchs, Mahrez, everyone.

Improbable, sensational EXACTLY because you wouldn't have expected it from players signed for a couple of hundred thousand from lower divisions, or like Fuchs, having been mediocre, and having grown old, in a German upper midtable club.

It's sensational and improbable to sign Kante and Mahrez from some small clubs for peanuts and win the league with them.

It' not sensational and improbable to win the league with certified top talents and world class players.

What is Arsenal aiming for with their squad building? An improbable, or a probable, league title?

You get what I mean?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:41 am

Maybe I'm being optimistic but signing Vardy for less than £20m allows us to also sign someone creative to play on the wing. One of Götze/James Rodriguez/Mahrez/Mkhitaryan. That'd be significantly better than just signing Lacazette.

Mkhitaryan - Özil - Alexis
Vardy

Is better than

Alexis - Özil - Iwobi
Lacazette

Right?
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:43 am

If we sign someone like Gotze, Hulk, James, Mkhi along with Vardy then thats ok

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:47 am

As if you weren't filthy rich.

As if you had to cut corners at CF to save money for RW lol.

Wenger can buy and afford anyone he wants. It's the 'wants' part that the crux.

As for Mkhi, if he doesn't extend at BVB (which would be ridiculous from him tbh), he'll have to stay his last year.

BVB won't sell him.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:14 am

Important to note that though Vardy scored 24 goals last season, he also went on two lengthy periods without scoring (7 games and 6 games respectively). It's not quite as bad 14 league games without a goal, but does suggest he's a very streaky goalscorer.

So if he is to be our forward next season, it'd be useful to have a good amount of goals coming from midfield, which is something we really lacked last year when Giroud stopped scoring. Alexis we know can get close or above 20 on his own. If we can get another wide player capable of 15+ we'd be set in attack.

Now that I've slept on this, I'm still not sure what to make of it all. But it does appear as if Wenger is looking at a certain type of character. Xhaka and Vardy are the fiery, prickly type of player who aren't going to win awards for being nice on the pitch, and I know Wenger in the past has likened Vardy to Alexis, in terms of the hunger shown on the pitch. I think he wants more fighters in his squad now.

In other news, some paper reckons we're preparing ourselves for Man City bids for Bellerin and Wilshere.

Pep pls go.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:42 am

Let's all remember who Vardy had last season as creators behind compared to Ozil, Santi & Alexis. Also he was heavily marked at the tail end of the season and still shown up. Now I'm not a huge fan of his but 20 mil in this market is not bad, all things considered. He could offer something different than what we have atm, and more importantly I feel this opens up for Wengers to go out and get 1 more signing.

-------

http://www.goallegacy.net/viewtopic.forum?t=39455
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40