Lucifer
Sina
urbaNRoots
EL Patron
RealGunner
50 posters

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

#WengerOut - This is definitely the definitive opinion - Page 10 Empty Re: #WengerOut - This is definitely the definitive opinion

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:12 pm

RealGunner wrote:Ian Wright tells @bbc5live that he met with Wenger last night, who told him his time at @Arsenal is "coming to the end".

Chaka

urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

#WengerOut - This is definitely the definitive opinion - Page 10 Empty Re: #WengerOut - This is definitely the definitive opinion

Post by Jay29 Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Ian Wright's exact words:

"I was with the boss last night. I'm going to be totally honest, I get the impression that's it. I was with him a few hours last night. He didn't say to me 'I'm leaving at the end of the season'. But I just get the impression that's it. He actually mentioned when we were talking last night that it's coming to the end. I've never head him say that."

I'm not sure we can place much stock in this. Firstly, I don't know how close Wenger and Wright actually are and whether Wenger would confide in Wright like that. Secondly, if he did confide in Wright, he surely wouldn't have done so knowing Wright would talk about it on TV and radio Laughing

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Could be that Arsene was quite emotional since all of this is hurting him a lot.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:00 pm

"Coming to an end" is ambiguous wording, what I believe this means is that his next contract will be his last.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:13 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:"Coming to an end" is ambiguous wording, what I believe this means is that his next contract will be his last.

I believe he was talking about top 4 "Coming to an end". hmm :coffee:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:47 am

Wenger vs the fans is about to become something big it seems like.

Last edited by El Gunner on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:55 am

[quote="El Gunner"]
urbaNRoots wrote:
RealGunner wrote:Ian Wright tells @bbc5live that he met with Wenger last night, who told him his time at @Arsenal is "coming to the end".

Chaka

If mans want more reinforcement behind this.

https://twitter.com/Cav_Gunner/status/829272940688633858
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:00 am

El Gunner wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:

Chaka

If mans want more reinforcement behind this.

https://twitter.com/Cav_Gunner/status/829272940688633858

Only need Ben Fairthorne to confirm and it's a done dealio cheers
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Wenger just said he didn't say anything to anyone about his future.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Jay29 wrote:Wenger just said he didn't say anything to anyone about his future.

I had a dream, though.

Spoiler:
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:23 am

Would take Lucho in a heartbeat imho hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Sri wrote:Would take Lucho in a heartbeat imho hmm

No way. Guy is like the shit version of Arsene.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:35 pm

If Luis Enrique is the alternative to Wenger then I might switch camps to #WengerIn
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Arsene is the shit version of Arsene tbf :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Depending on how Monaco does against City and their season in ligue 1, Leonardo Jardim is another good option to consider.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:14 am

I can't bring myself to dislike Wenger.

But man do I wish, at this point, he could close out his tenure this season with a cup trophy, maybe a 2nd place finish, and let the club shift over to the next manager. Bonus would be if we kept Mesut & Alexis.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:58 am

I love the man. Forever grateful. He can't tarnish the beautiful things he's done for this club no matter how bad it gets. Rename the Emirates the Wenger Dome, sing his name at every game and treat him like the royalty that he is every time he shows his face in the director's box. Let him inaugurate every game with a NBA-style toss at midfield instead of kickoff, do it all for the man.

But, and I say this as gently and respectfully as possible, please see the writing on the wall.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:33 am

Any decision on Wenger's future won't be made until the end of the season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38991573

Which isn't news, per se, but does suggest something remarkable has to happen in the last three months of the season for Wenger to justify staying on.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:58 am

Debating which manager to bring in is one thing.

Another thing is that you will ABSOLUTELY need some kind of DoF too and who are the candidates for that?

Don't make Man United's mistake of ignoring and underestimating the huge space filled up by Wenger (and Fergie) between the coaching position and the (anonymous, absent) board.
Tuchel, Allegri, etc have never been 'running' a club, like executives in a DoF role.

Who's doing the job now, Gazidis?
Is he profiled enough to carry more creative and conceptual responsibility?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:15 am

I would like to have a football man as our DoF, as opposed to Gazidis who is more familiar with the financial side of managing a club. Maybe someone like Robert Pires or Overmars.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:15 am

We don't have a DoF. Wenger didn't want one so he didn't get one. Gazidis is CEO.

But yes, we absolutely need one because asking a manager to come in and take over everything Wenger has control over would be madness.

There are lots of DoF's out there. It just depends on availability. Monchi is definitely leaving Sevilla but seems Roma is his destination so we might be too late. Maybe we could prise Ragnick from RB Leipzig, especially if we're going for a German manager.

Alternatively we put someone who "knows the club" in that position. Not sure who though. Overmars is doing a poor job at Ajax from what I've heard. Not sure if Bergkamp would want the role since he seems to enjoy coaching more.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Arseblog's sentiments this morning are close to my own, and eloquent:

Make no mistake, it’s seismic. It might get worse before it gets better, but you’d be hard pressed to make the point that it’s going to get better under the manager as it stands. But we’re in this weird kind of limbo right now where the board would like nothing more than for him to sign a two year deal, and until the man himself makes the decision nothing is going to happen.

It’s a sad time, and while I think change is necessary and inevitable, I cannot plumb the depths and abuse him the way others do. That’s their choice, I’ll make mine. By all means criticise, Arsene Wenger is long enough in the game to understand that’s part and parcel of the job, but he doesn’t deserve the vitriol and viciousness aimed at him from some quarters.

To me he’s a man who lives for football and for Arsenal, if you don’t think he suffers when we lose, or doesn’t work as hard as possible to win games and win things, then you don’t know him at all. The issue is that the hard work is no longer producing the performances and results to meet the standards that he himself went a long way to setting at this club. Last night’s second half capitulation was further evidence of that, and there’s little left now other than to let the contract run out in June and start making plans for what comes next.

The necessity of restructuring the club's entire management is daunting. There will need to be a lot of moving parts thrown together in order to fill Wenger's absence when he does go. This means that even if we get good names on paper for both a DoF position and a manager, we'll have to hope they work together well.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:26 pm

I thought this was a good account of some of the problems about staff/management -

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/16/arsene-wenger-arsenal-david-dein-successor-manager?CMP=twt_gu
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:06 pm

This article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-set-9833723

Last paragraph

Allegri is keen, despite his public statements that he wants to stay at Serie A champions Juventus.

There is a belief Newcastle's ex-Liverpool and Chelsea manager Rafael Benitez is pushing his credentials for the job rather than Arsenal looking at him.

Atletico Madrid’s Diego Simeone is interested too, but he is known for being combative.

wtf? Laughing
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:30 pm

combative in what sense? hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Simeone is my #1 choice still, because I think his attributes would be beneficial to keeping the boat steady amidst inevitable post-Wenger problems. (And I also realize that the football he'd bring to Arsenal wouldn't be so pretty all the time.) But I'd be shocked if Mr. "Combative" were a realistic option to be honest. He still doesn't speak English does he? Or do I recall reports of him taking lessons? Don't remember ...

Among managers in England I'd say go for Koeman.

Hadn't thought about Wenger replacements much in months but the last 24 hours have made it seem pressing, hehe.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next