M99
Freeza
El Gunner
29 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 6 - Page 28 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 6

Post by Freeza Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Agreed with McLewis. Problem isn't the academy. It's the number of films produced without roles to qualify them. I'd venture a guess and say the likelihood of an all white nominee list is huge because it reflects the roles out there.

It's changing though. I think Star Wars could be huge in that regard, to show Hollywood producers that people don't care about race in movies, they just want good ones. Benicio should've been nominated. But I consider him white anyways, same with Oscar Isaac.

A lot of people deserved this year, but it's hard to take anyone out of the 5 nominees. Paul Dano, Oscar Isaac, Benicio, Jason Mitchell. All of them could've made a valid case. But who should you take out?

People saying Michael B. Jordan should be nominated just needs to log off Tmblr and get real. He didn't deserve it this year. And I'd probably sacrifice my first born to meet that guy, but even I can't be that biased

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Don't call me James wrote: Redmayne are just there for the numbers.

He's playing a transgender Danish woman in the 1920s, of course he's gonna get nominated lol
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:02 pm

I thought to be nominated at Oscar the movie needs to be more of drama-ish than something like Mad max which no doubt is one of the better movies of this year.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:06 pm

ES wrote:
Don't call me James wrote: Redmayne are just there for the numbers.

He's playing a transgender Danish woman in the 1920s, of course he's gonna get nominated lol

Gotta love dem British accents in Denmark. All white people talk alike.

No way they'd atleast get a Danish accent. Because we're always villains Laughing
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:13 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but heard heaps of praise on Redmayne.

Also, i hope JLaw doesn't win an best actress (yes, i'm a sadistic bastard)
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:34 pm

McLewis wrote:People losing their damn minds over the all-white nominees list.

Personally, I don't think this is a problem the Academy should be expected to solve. It's on the producers, directors, writers, casting companies, and studio execs to change this. There are plenty of roles out there for black/asian/hispanic/etc actors, but those roles are given to whites primarily, for one reason or another. Until that changes, we're going to continue to see all white nominee lists like this one.

Now with that said, the only black actor that legit got snubbed as far as I'm concerned is Idris Elba for Beasts of No Nation. Will Smith's awful accent ruined his performance in Concussion and Michael B. Jordan was simply overshadowed by Sly Stallone in Creed. Another actor of color that should've been nominated, but wasn't, is Benicio del Toro for Sicario. But even if those guys were nominated, who of the current 5 should make way for them?

To be fair though it does look iffy when Straight out of Compton only gets nominated for (an average at best) screenplay. That film was carried by the performances of the actors, who I think were relatively unknown for the most part.

Will be interesting to see how that "#OscarsSoWhite" hashtag ends up this year seeing as hashtag activism is much bigger now. They even have a heavy hitter like Sharpton on their side now. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:40 pm

None of the performances in Straight Outta Compton were good enough. It wasn't racism. It wasn't carried by performances, but by music and nostalgia etc. Performances were good. But people talking like Anyone deserved a nom from it, please Laughing Benicio is the only one with a legit case, and that's mostly because Sicario didn't get any love at all.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Freeza wrote:None of the performances in Straight Outta Compton were good enough. It wasn't racism. It wasn't carried by performances, but by music and nostalgia etc. Performances were good. But people talking like Anyone deserved a nom from it, please Laughing Benicio is the only one with a legit case, and that's mostly because Sicario didn't get any love at all.

The screenplay wasn't good enough either, yet there it is there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:52 pm

The screenplay is great. Imagine having to write the entire NWA story into a 2,5 hour movie. That's an amazing feat. Especially when it's done with incredible efficiency and maintaining the essence of their story while also keeping the movie entertaining throughout.

I'd say it's really deserved.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Freeza wrote:The screenplay is great. Imagine having to write the entire NWA story into a 2,5 hour movie. That's an amazing feat. Especially when it's done with incredible efficiency and maintaining the essence of their story while also keeping the movie entertaining throughout.

NWA wasn't even a long story all things considered. A bunch of friends come together making music, they strike it rich and get a manager, manager screws them, they(some) move on. They weren't even a group for a long time. It was pieced together awkwardly, and carried by a bunch of no names iMO. In fact, it comes off almost as an advertisement piece for Cube and Dre, which makes Eric Wright the only true character in the film....and he's dead. Film moved awkwardly IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Saw Creed, enjoyed it. All round good movie.

Big Short was decent.

Sicario was good also, quite tense.

jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Jibers with positive reviews. What is this hmm
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:20 pm

2 films I haven't seen in ages popped up on netflix and I watched em both

No country for old men and pulp fiction

goat films ffs
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:43 pm

20th Century Fox has partnered with Utd, so many of our players today are tweeting pretending they're excited about watching The Revenant. It's funny and cringe at the same time how transparent the promotion is. lol

Also explained to me why the movie was heavily advertised in the OT boards the past 3 home games. Great movie.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:
Freeza wrote:The screenplay is great. Imagine having to write the entire NWA story into a 2,5 hour movie. That's an amazing feat. Especially when it's done with incredible efficiency and maintaining the essence of their story while also keeping the movie entertaining throughout.

NWA wasn't even a long story all things considered. A bunch of friends come together making music, they strike it rich and get a manager, manager screws them, they(some) move on. They weren't even a group for a long time. It was pieced together awkwardly, and carried by a bunch of no names iMO. In fact, it comes off almost as an advertisement piece for Cube and Dre, which makes Eric Wright the only true character in the film....and he's dead. Film moved awkwardly IMO

lmao Betty La fEa, few posts ago you just said Straight Outta Compton deserved more nominations now you say the film moved awkwardly. So what is it?

And saying a screenplay award is "average at best" Laughing Are you kidding me? rofl Without a screenplay there is no movie. The screenplay is the starting point that tells your actors, producers and directors what to do. It's the foundation for the tone and narrative as well. And last but most importantly writing a screenplay is a writing art in itself. It's one of the most seeked and prestigious jobs in film today. So stop pls.

Anyway, just finished Concussion. Why did some people even talk about this getting Oscar hype? Laughing Will Smith sounded strange with that accent, how about deep searching Africa to find a genuine African, uh? Oh but marketing my film of course. TBF the screenplay was just poor for a film that wants to make an Oscar run and it didn't give the actors much to work with. Why should Africans in Hollywood films always get crappy dialogue Laughing ffs stereotype bullshit. Nothing else could save the film in all honesty. Compare this to Spotlight, who both have relative same purposes/goals with their message, it doesn't match up one bit.

2/5
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:31 pm

El Gunner wrote:
Betty La Fea wrote:

lmao Betty La fEa, few posts ago you just said Straight Outta Compton deserved more nominations now you say the film moved awkwardly. So what is it?

And saying a screenplay award is "average at best" Laughing Are you kidding me? rofl Without a screenplay there is no movie. The screenplay is the starting point that tells your actors, producers and directors what to do. It's the foundation for the tone and narrative as well. And last but most importantly writing a screenplay is a writing art in itself. It's one of the most seeked and prestigious jobs in film today. So stop pls.

Anyway, just finished Concussion. Why did some people even talk about this getting Oscar hype? Laughing Will Smith sounded strange with that accent, how about deep searching Africa to find a genuine African, uh? Oh but marketing my film of course. TBF the screenplay was just poor for a film that wants to make an Oscar run and it didn't give the actors much to work with. Why should Africans in Hollywood films always get crappy dialogue Laughing ffs stereotype bullshit. Nothing else could save the film in all honesty. Compare this to Spotlight, who both have relative same purposes/goals with their message, it doesn't match up one bit.

2/5

You can read it here:
http://www.universalpicturesawards.com/site-content/uploads/2015/08/Straight-Outta-Compton-Screenplay.pdf

Is this oscar nomination worthy for you? A film can be awkward, yet still have good performances.

Also I think Will did a decent job with his accent. If a Nigerian dude can play MLK, then Old Willy can play a Nigerian Razz Razz Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Freeza wrote:Jibers with positive reviews. What is this hmm

lol. Freeza pls
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Yeah agree with Benicio Del Toro getting nominated. He and Sicario has a whole got snubbed.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:34 pm

Might watch Revenant before h8ful 8
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:36 am

Watched Ex Machina

Was a decent film. Not as good as I was expecting it to be based on how much it was hyped on here.

Maybe it wasn't my type though I guess.

Hated Bill Weasley. Oscar Isaac was great though.

7/10
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:03 am

Don't call me James wrote:Yeah agree with Benicio Del Toro getting nominated. He and Sicario has a whole got snubbed.

Agreed with this.

RealGunner wrote:Watched Ex Machina

Was a decent film. Not as good as I was expecting it to be based on how much it was hyped on here.

Maybe it wasn't my type though I guess.

Hated Bill Weasley. Oscar Isaac was great though.

7/10

Fair enough. Goes into my top 5 films of the year personally. Oscar Isaac is brilliant (as always) and I very much enjoyed Domhnall Gleeson. Alicia Vikander's performance speaks for itself tbh. She's so beautiful.

Bill Weasley rofl

Just saw Spotlight. Very good film. Very well directed, great pacing, great writing and such a great cast doesn't let down at all. It deserves hype for sure--however I don't think I would agree with the amount of hype it's getting. It's a great movie but it didn't scream best picture at all to me. Personally, I would put Mad Max, Revenant, Hateful Eight, Sicario, Ex Machina all above it...but perhaps that's just me.

It's still a picture you guys should all see and it certainly deserves plaudits, I just don't consider myself a part of the "best picture" train.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:57 am

I very much enjoyed Bone Tomahawk. A unique and refreshing addition to the Wild West as it mixes the western with a defiant air of mystery and stripes of bloody violence. The screenplay and direction doesn't protect or treat its main characters with any special respect as each character's position in the film always feels vulnerable. It can get a bit slow, but not that there is anything unnecessary going on. The slow build up and tension is all complemented wonderfully with the climatic ending.

CB if you are indeed in the mood for a western, watch this one instead of Slow West.

3.5/5
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:24 pm

I hated The Big Short. Awful movie imo.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:21 pm

@CBarca

Thoughts on the ending?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:21 pm

RED wrote:I hated The Big Short. Awful movie imo.

Not worth watching it for bale either?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:42 pm

Fast8 set for NYC

RealGunner
RealGunner