Vibe
Donuts
Red Alert
Art Morte
VanDeezNuts
35 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is away goals rule counter-productive? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is away goals rule counter-productive?

Post by Onyx Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Nah, it should stay. There's nothing wrong with.

However I don't understand the thing about it being introduced because of replays. Couldn't they have just used extra time and penalties?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Is away goals rule counter-productive? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is away goals rule counter-productive?

Post by The Nature Boy Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Nah, it should stay. There's nothing wrong with.

However I don't understand the thing about it being introduced because of replays. Couldn't they have just used extra time and penalties?

yeah that whole thing didn't really make sense to me either... unless it was just a complete oversight.

If i had my druthers, you would just play the tie out till it was over with a decided winner (someone with more goals than the other or pens). With the rule the way it is, their is no favorite thus it is fair.
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Donuts wrote:
Vibe wrote:I've always had a problem with it.

The less calculation,the more beautiful football.I am also an adversary of the offside rule,it should be either banned or rewritten.
..? what? lol

The offside rule is too decisive for something that is not accurate.It is also very disruptive in the game flow.Football was played before without it,it can be played again...
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Instant replay should be introduced to make the offside calls more accurate imo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Vibe wrote:
Donuts wrote:
Vibe wrote:I've always had a problem with it.

The less calculation,the more beautiful football.I am also an adversary of the offside rule,it should be either banned or rewritten.
..? what? lol

The offside rule is too decisive for something that is not accurate.It is also very disruptive in the game flow.Football was played before without it,it can be played again...

Wouldn't doing that now though basically kill formations and any real order of the game? Players could just camp right infront of the goal and wait for a turnover and get fed long balls and go 1 on 1 with the keeper 20 times a game. There would be a goal like every three minutes.

Its annoying when players get called off especially when they aren't and you end up feeling cheated, but I think there just needs to be a better way of calling it then getting rid of it.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Zealous wrote:Teams to attack when they were away from home. Some teams just choose to ignore it and play their own game but I definitely think it gives away teams something to think about which makes the game more interesting.

In theory, but in reality it makes no difference.

Teams still put on anti football performances, home, away, whatever.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:46 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Instant replay should be introduced to make the offside calls more accurate imo.
How would instant replay help? If you stop to watch a replay the play is already over and the defense can reset.

I think the only way you could make it better would be to have a linesman watching from a booth or something with a birds eye view. Would probably be more reliable than someone who has to run up and down the field
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:Instant replay should be introduced to make the offside calls more accurate imo.
How would instant replay help? If you stop to watch a replay the play is already over and the defense can reset.

I think the only way you could make it better would be to have a linesman watching from a booth or something with a birds eye view. Would probably be more reliable than someone who has to run up and down the field

I mean after a controversial call. It would be displayed on a screen to see whether it was offside or not.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Anyway I think its a dumb rule because playing at home you should have all the advantages. Making away goals worth more makes playing at home basically a disadvantage because if you draw at home you basically lose that match.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:53 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:

I mean after a controversial call. It would be displayed on a screen to see whether it was offside or not.
but imo theres nothing you could do to give back what was lost with the wrong call. If you give a free kick then the defense has time to reset. And if its in the penalty box, and you give a penalty then thats punishing the team for the officials mistake
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:55 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:

but imo theres nothing you could do to give back what was lost with the wrong call. If you give a free kick then the defense has time to reset.

Well a wrong offside call could lead to a goal. So a goal could be taken away.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:

but imo theres nothing you could do to give back what was lost with the wrong call. If you give a free kick then the defense has time to reset.

Well a wrong offside call could lead to a goal. So a goal could be taken away.
Ahh, Thats true, I wasn't thinking of it like that Razz I think all scoring plays should be able to go under review.

But if a goal happens and it was called offside, I don't think you can award the goal then because the official calling it offside could have effected how the defense was playing, thinking "oh I don't have to do anything because this won't count" only to have it count after review

Last edited by VendettaRed07 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:58 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
Vibe wrote:
Donuts wrote:
..? what? lol

Wouldn't doing that now though basically kill formations and any real order of the game? Players could just camp right infront of the goal and wait for a turnover and get fed long balls and go 1 on 1 with the keeper 20 times a game. There would be a goal like every three minutes.

Its annoying when players get called off especially when they aren't and you end up feeling cheated, but I think there just needs to be a better way of calling it then getting rid of it.

The rule can be adjusted...Sure you can have a camping striker but you can also counter it with a sweeper.No one will compromise their tactics so much to have many players camping out front(except maybe Zeman Laughing )

Offside can apply only inside the penalty area for instance,just an example.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:02 pm

not a fan of this tbh

I have always thought it would be a better idea if teams had to score equal amounts of goals for it to go to ET

basically if we play atleti and beat them 3-1 then in the return leg the beat us 2-0 with 3-3 being the overall score at this point I think it should go to extram time. it would also eliminate teams from playing very negatively if they managed a 1-1 draw away
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:06 pm

True, hmm I think something similar to hockey with the blue lines and attacking zones could work also
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:08 pm

The people that complain about it support clubs who have been knocked out due to the rule :coffee:

No coincidence in that at all :coffee:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:The people that complain about it support clubs who have been knocked out due to the rule :coffee:

No coincidence in that at all :coffee:
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 pm

Yeah but thats everyone, at some point everyone has (or will) been knocked out by it and have won because of it.

Barca are one of them.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:31 pm

I guess this discussion can also lead onto whether home teams have an advantage over away teams.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 pm

i personally think it unnecessarily complicates matches. Because not all goals are created equal in this system, teams create tactics around this rule.

why not simplify it and make all goals equal so that teams will be basing tactics around scoring more and conceding less (the essence of the game) instead of getting more away goals and parking the bus at home?

i just dont see a justification for away goals having more weight. is it inherently more difficult to score away from home? Does less fans and different stadium make it more difficult to score?

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Never been a fan of the away goals rule. It adds an unnecessary strain on what already is a strenuous encounter. Make no mistake, it's a fair rule, both teams stand to benefit from it but I always thought it made little sense to judge an encounter based on it i.e number of away goals scored.

Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:05 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Zealous wrote:Teams to attack when they were away from home. Some teams just choose to ignore it and play their own game but I definitely think it gives away teams something to think about which makes the game more interesting.

In theory, but in reality it makes no difference.

Teams still put on anti football performances, home, away, whatever.

If a team doesn't want to play into the hands of their opponents then I'm not going to hold that against them. Also if they are going to play anti-football regardless then you may as well have the away goal because it can create a scenario were the other team has to open up.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by che Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:

lol if you're already in extra time, either team's goal will be enough to win

no... golden goal doesn't exist anymore

say both matches finish 1:1, then it goes to extra time and the away team score... now the home team have to score two or they're out, without the away goal rule they would only have to score one to take it to penalties

and before anyone says i'm pulling this scenario out of my ass and it would never happen - liverpool vs atletico in uefa cup two years ago

Last edited by che on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:11 pm

vanDEEZ wrote:
why not simplify it and make all goals equal so that teams will be basing tactics around scoring more and conceding less (the essence of the game) instead of getting more away goals and parking the bus at home?

Pretty much how PSV won the CL, they won a bunch if games 1-1 away then drew 0-0 at home.

vanDEEZ wrote:i just dont see a justification for away goals having more weight. is it inherently more difficult to score away from home? Does less fans and different stadium make it more difficult to score?

Well the rule was put in place to encourage away teams to attack more instead of just playing for a 0-0 knowing that they will then have the advantage at home.

The rule does seem to have placed that on it's head now with teams happy with 0-0 at home.

Anyway I don't really see the issue. It complicates things sure but the rule affect both teams and personally I enjoy the dynamics of a two legged tie because of it.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 pm

che wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:

lol if you're already in extra time, either team's goal will be enough to win

no... golden goal doesn't exist anymore

say both matches finish 1:1, then it goes to extra time and the away team score... now the home team have to score two or they're out, without the away goal rule they would only have to score one to take it to penalties

Would you suggest away goals not being counted once the game reaches extra time? The problem is there is a feeling that a team already has an advantage at home by virtue of being at home.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:18 pm

But thats not what happens.

All that happens is home teams plays defensive football, the fans arent involved and the game is a dull and one sided where one team may or may not score.

If they score, away goal or not, the other team has to open up.

If teams want to play defensively, then go for it, but having an away goal rules wont change anything about it and it doesnt.

In my opinion, a draw is a draw, 1-1 one game and 0-0 the next is the same thing. The "better team" did not necessarily advance.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next