RedOranje
Freeza
Hapless_Hans
McAgger
Art Morte
BeautifulGame
15 posters

Go down

Uefa consider change to away-goals rule and Champions League seedings Empty Uefa consider change to away-goals rule and Champions League seedings

Post by BeautifulGame Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Uefa is contemplating whether the away-goals rule should remain in force in European competition and is looking to change how Champions League clubs are seeded.

The issues were discussed as part of Uefa’s two-day meeting of leading coaches in Nyon. The away-goals rule was introduced nearly 50 years ago when playing away in Europe was a novelty, but critics say it has now become counter-productive, unnecessary and unfair.

“There was a bit of a debate about whether it has any significance today,” said Sir Alex Ferguson, who was chairing the meeting. “Some think it is not as important as it used to be ... and the attacking emphasis on the game today means more teams go away from home and win.

“If we go back, say, 30 years, counter-attacking consisted of one or maybe two, players. Today, counter-attacks have players flooding forward in fives or sixes and really positive, quick passing.“

The rule, under which away goals count double if a two-legged tie ends with the aggregate scores level, was introduced into European competition in the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1965-66.

It was first used in a second-round tie when Honved progressed at the expense of Dukla Prague following a 4-4 aggregate draw.

At the time it was seen as preferable to having a time-consuming playoff or the arbitrary toss of the coin which was sometimes employed and which sent Liverpool to the European Cup semi-final in 1965 after two goalless draws against FC Cologne.

“What is helping is that the state of the pitches, pitches are fantastic nowadays, so coming out of defence with passes is much easier than it was 30 years ago, and you get a better attitude to counter-attack today than you did 30 years ago,” Ferguson said.

“From a personal point of view, when I was playing at home, I used to say to myself, don’t lose a goal,” he added.

With regards to seeding, currently the European governing body ranks clubs over five years of competition results, leaving champions such as Manchester City, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain among the No2 seeded teams and leading to criticism that the draws are repeating themselves.

One option for Uefa would be to guarantee a top seeding to winners of the highest-profile leagues. though Ferguson reacted coolly to the idea.

The Scot, a two-times Champions League winner with Manchester United, said of the group draws: “I don’t necessarily think the seeding plays a great part.” He added: “You take what you get and your performance is the most important thing.”

“From a personal point of view, when I was playing at home, I used to say to myself, don’t lose a goal,” he added.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Uefa consider change to away-goals rule and Champions League seedings Empty Re: Uefa consider change to away-goals rule and Champions League seedings

Post by Art Morte Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:26 pm

The away-goals rule is such a significant one that removing it would feel weird... Would get used to it, though.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Uefa consider change to away-goals rule and Champions League seedings Empty Re: Uefa consider change to away-goals rule and Champions League seedings

Post by McAgger Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:34 pm

The away goal rule shouldn't completely be taken away.

However, once past 90 minutes of playing time and into extra time. That's when away goals should not count.

After that all goals should be equal.

We got *bleep* sideways in the EL semifinal in 09-10 when Atleti came to Anfield with a 1-0 at the Calderon. At Anfield the 90 minutes ended 1-0 to us and in extra time we both scored 1 goal a piece but Atleti advanced because of that shitty away goal.

That is when the rule is absolutely unfair and unnecessary.

Otherwise it's almost like a tradition and it would be detrimental I feel if it was completely taken away.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:42 pm

^ agreed
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Away goals are a very weird tie-breaker tbh. There is so much difference in the type of games that are being played, some might be high scoring and others low-scoring. Doesn't make sense that one is more valuable than the other.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:53 pm

While I understand the argument against it, I do feel the away goal rule does actually fulfill it's intended purpose of promoting more attacking football. I would however support a move to eliminate it after regulation time.

I personally like the suggested seeding change (as has been discussed before). On that note, would anyone be terribly upset if I merged this thread with the already existing one discussing proposed changes to the European competitions (mainly seeding)? It makes more sense to me to have all of the discussion on changes included in one thread sot hat the discussions can be a bit broader since they overlap anyway.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

yep red, less merging please Laughing
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:56 pm

I agree that away goals should be negated in extra time, that's just ridiculous. Not sure how I'd feel about it being removed completely, and there would be so many more games that end up going beyond full time.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 am

Ged rid of it all together. A goal is a goal, no matter if it's scored home or away. Absolutely no reason it should count as double if its scored in your opponents field
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:43 am

On that note, would anyone be terribly upset if I merged this thread with the already existing one discussing proposed changes to the European competitions (mainly seeding)?
Merge, merge, merge Thumbs up cheers bounce Heart
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:36 pm

A goal is a goal . i would like the away goal to disappear.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:06 am

I wonder if there would be more penalty shoot-outs without the away goal rule. Right now two draws see the team with more away goals go through, but without that rule, two teams that sort of cancel each other out would invariably go to penalties. And while I always love PSOs as they give the goalies a chance to become the heroes, there are many people who are not so fond of deciding matches by pens as they are a bit like a coin toss.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:09 am

Keep it as it is ffs.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:42 am

The secon d leg's tactics often are way too affected by the 1st leg result imo.
Thus we often see teams parking the bus just because they already scored the so precious away goal.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:29 am

The away goal can be so freaking unfair. Still hate the rule after the Barca/Chelsea clash in 08/09 when Iniesta scored that late goal in the 93rd minute. Considering before that goal Barca was trailing for the entirety of the game, but a draw gave them a victory. Also over 180 minutes they were never in the lead.

Get rid of it.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:44 am

Bénin wrote:The secon d leg's tactics often are way too affected by the 1st leg result imo.
Thus we often see teams parking the bus just  because they already scored the so precious away goal.
Don't you think it won't be affected by the first leg result without the away goal rule, too? If a team managed a narrow 1:0 in the first leg, they can as likely park the bus in the second leg, too. Actually a weaker team might gamble to park the bus in any case, as a penalty shoot-out is always a 50:50 event (unless you have a proven penalty killer in the goal).
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad the Impaler Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Don't call me James wrote:The away goal rule shouldn't completely be taken away.

However, once past 90 minutes of playing time and into extra time. That's when away goals should not count.

After that all goals should be equal.

We got *bleep* sideways in the EL semifinal in 09-10 when Atleti came to Anfield with a 1-0 at the Calderon. At Anfield the 90 minutes ended 1-0 to us and in extra time we both scored 1 goal a piece but Atleti advanced because of that shitty away goal.

That is when the rule is absolutely unfair and unnecessary.

Otherwise it's almost like a tradition and it would be detrimental I feel if it was completely taken away.

Agreed. Smile

I've always thought this is unfair.

Tomwin Lannister wrote:I agree that away goals should be negated in extra time, that's just ridiculous. Not sure how I'd feel about it being removed completely, and there would be so many more games that end up going beyond full time.

I also agree with what Tom said. Imagine how many games will end up in extra time or at penalties. The charm and dramatism provoked by the extra time and penalty shootouts will be lost because we will be used with them.
Vlad the Impaler
Vlad the Impaler
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Yeah

I mean, if they get rid of the away goal rule then that's cool. It is a stupid rule even if I feel like it's part of the game now

However, I don't fancy watching an extra 30 minutes of like 1 in every 2/3 games, it would become very dull and annoying. Very anti-climatic watching 180 minutes of football followed by another 30 in several games every single CL.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum