Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

MMA/UFC Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: MMA/UFC Thread

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:38 pm

McGregor did say he had never heard of Stockton... Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Man that fight was really good. Just finished watching it again. McGregor was getting his shots off, but Diaz utilized really good head work and rolled with a lot of the punches. I think that is what caught McGregor off guard - he truly believed no one could eat that left hand. I was watching the Joe Rogan podcast and they spoke about how he is one of those mind over matter people. He has no doubt in his mind and I respect that very much. It just so happens that he matched up with a human begin who has the same belief in himself.

I don't think either fighter underestimated the other, but I do feel McGregor didn't anticipate Diaz being such a warrior. What made the matchup great for me was that both guys would never back down. It just came down to the fact that Diaz is the better, more well rounded mixed martial artist. He beat McGregor at his own game (standing and banging) - I spoke with a friend before the fight and she felt Diaz needed to take the fight to the canvas if he wanted to win. I didn't disagree with her and I wasn't super confident during the fight (in the sense that I respect the power of Conor).

Once again, much respect to both fighters for being real warriors. Those are the kind of fights we deserve to see on a PPV card.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Never understood how you could trash talk somebody and call them a pussy after they knocked you out, Aldo with that school ground logic.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:15 pm

Lmao. Exactly, Tom. You knocked my out in 13 seconds but somehow you're the vagina...that logic doe! I guess a real man would have let the fight last longer Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:17 pm

I mean fair enough if he lost to a TKO but it was not a sporting loss lmao he threw a punch, landed said punch then proceeded to get sparked out flat on his back.

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:54 pm

He really wrote that? Laughing

I thought that SS was edited rofl
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:49 pm

Did anyone else watch the UFC unstoppable press conference? That ish was entertaining in my opinion. I'm definitely backing Jones and it turned me into a Chris Weidman fan. I'm looking forward to finishing up some more old events and then I plan on keeping up to date moving forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:40 am

No one?

Anyone else a fan of Joanna jedrzejczyk?

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:26 pm

I feel like there are a lot of people that just started watching UFC. Nate being scared of anyone? lol

A lot of overanalysis is coming from this fight also. Conor would still dust Aldo (Aldo doesn't have the chin to hang with Conor, sorry) and it's really low as has been mentioned by many people already for Aldo to come out with that tweet. Frankie Edgar is the only guy at 145 that has a legitimate chance against Conor ATM, because he's got the heart of a warrior, pushes a ridiculous pace, and is extremely shifty while being proficient in all aspects of fighting. Make no mistake though if Conor takes this as the learning experience he appears to there's no reason he can't move up to 155 and make a run at the belt -- aren't tough like Diaz, nor are they as rangy.

Meanwhile I'm over the moon for Nate. The Diaz bros are so misunderstood -- they're not nearly as dumb as people make them out to be, but most people also have no idea what it's like to grow up the way they did. They're also capable of beating anyone on the night their BJJ and Boxing are both elite, and come with a toughness that you just can't teach. Nate will most likely get a title fight now which is awesome, because he has a good shot at either Lawler or RDA.

The Black Sheep wrote:No one?

Anyone else a fan of Joanna jedrzejczyk?

Yea dude I love Joanna. Still not a fan of Jones, and I think Cormier is hilarious. That said I'll never be able to like Weidman because of how things went down with Silva.

Someone that flies under the radar a lot is Tony Ferguson, I could see him winning the title if he can get past Nurmagomedov (but he's just so powerful). Probably in my top 5 favourites right now along with Edgar and the Diaz bros.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Where were you last week? <3

I just loved jones from the start, but I jumped off when I saw he was building a false imagine. But eventually I realized it's not my place to judge and Cormier rubbed me the wrong way when he took shots at the mistakes Jones made. I think most of us can look back on our past and find mistakes we're not proud of. But I totally understand why some don't like Jones.

When you say how things went down with Silva, do you mean because he knocked him out? My cousin (also from New York) annoyed me about it and I started to dislike Weidman because of that. But at the press conference I enjoyed his talk - perhaps I'm not even a fan, but I definitely will pull for him against Rockhold.

I actually missed the Nate and RDA fight (I will watch it soon) but I heard he had his right leg torn up. I know he tends to stand heavy on it, so there's a chance it's not a great matchup for Diaz. But I'm really going off what I heard Joe Rogan say about it (I tend to agree with his opinions and feel he's knowledgable). While the Diaz brothers have amazing BJJ they tend to prefer the war on the feet - so maybe Nate would be able to utilize his ground game more if he got that rematch.

I feel the same way about the Diaz brothers. Not every fighter wants to do these media obligations and if you watch their interviews, it's understandable. Some people embrace the spotlight, they embrace the fighting and I love that about them. They are also always very professional post fight and it's obvious they respect the sport. I already spoke a lot of people calling Nate stupid, but I agree with you. Some people are unfamiliar with different lifestyles and wont be able to understand.

I know Mendes lost, but I would like to see him with a full camp against McGregor. From what I heard, he took the fight but was not training. Diaz also took the fight short notice, but he was preparing for a triathlon and already eats clean year round.

If you didn't see the unstoppable promo, check it out. Ferguson and Nurmagomedov seem to really hate each other.

Are there any old fights you recommend I watch? Hoping to catch up on some more old events. I didn't even know Jones and Cormier has a first fight until UFC 196.

Excuse my post if it's all over the place, I'm posting from my phone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:29 pm

Yeah I just loved Silva so watching him lose like that, twice, when I know in his prime he'd have dusted Weidman was hard to watch. I also don't think he deserves an immediate rematch against Rockhold, he was completely outmatched in that fight and Luke was fighting injured. Jones is just fake -- supremely talented, but very fake, he just rubs me the wrong way.

Nate/RDA was a bit disappointing the first time, but I think Nate was already injured going into that fight. Plus both him and his brother notoriously have issues with leg kicks. It's something they are just stubborn about I guess, heh. Still, as always it is a really tough fight for Nate because anyone that is disciplined enough to fight on the outside with kicks and has good defensive grappling/takedowns will be a hard counter to the Diaz style. Also for the record Nate wasn't training for a triathlon when he got the call he was on a yacht in Cabo lol, but the Diaz bros are always ready to fight.

Well how new are you? I think it depends because I've got some emotional attachment to some fights. I recommend obviously Griffin/Bonnar for the original TUF finale as it was a big part of the springboard that made the UFC so popular. If you like the Diaz brothers any of their fights are good, but in particular I really like Nate vs. Cowboy and Nick vs. Lawler. Edgar vs. Maynard II and III are MUST watches and two of my favourite fights of all time, as well as Forrest vs. Rua I.

If you like older fights the Liddell vs. Couture fights are all great, as is Frank Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz (Frank really could have been one of the best of all time, waste of talent). Most Fedor fights, most Wanderlei fights, etc. the list goes on. I also really like Seasons 1 and 5 of TUF.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:44 pm

I heard Nate say he was in Cabo and got sick drinking the water Very Happy That's why I was rubbed the wrong way when people kept mentioning the weight thing - plus McGregor walks around that weight. But people dislike the Diaz brothers and will believe anything anti Diaz. I'm used to it by now. Still it can be hard to not get emotional and stand up for my homies. I just have so much respect for them and feel they are the epitome of real mixed martial artists.

I wasn't watching UFC from the start, but I have seen most of the fights you mentioned. I had already watched Diaz vs Cowboy, but I ended up watching it again the other day. I also loved Nick vs Daley in strike force. I love them because they don't take the easy way out and try to fight for the judges. I'm still not over Nick vs Condit - I literally wrote essays worth of material on UFC.com about that fight.

One fight I haven't watched but know about is Nick vs Lawler. Heard he was taking that hot ish from the jump. Stockton mother f***ker and just continued throughout the fight.

Sometimes Silva and Nick frustrate me - I thought it was crazy that Nick kind of made Silva into the aggressor, but I wasn't happy with his approach. I felt like he got caught up with his past fights and thought he could get the decision because of how his past fights have been judged. It's pretty clear to me the judges don't like his antics and I think that has cost him fights in the past.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:50 pm

This video got me into the Diaz brothers - still get chills watching

Also did anyone catch this interview? McGregor is really good at predicting results, however this time he got it twisted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Ummm...just watched Lawler vs Hendricks II
I want to say Hendrixks was robbed since I easily gave him rounds 1, 2 and 3. But in rounds 4 and 5 he seems resigned to leaning on Lawler and allowing Lawler to attack his body and head with shots. I don't think the fight should have been taken away from him, but I really don't understand his logic. Even if he was tired, why not out Lawler against the cage and keep his head up.

I was in disbelief and thought for sure he suggested some type of injury. I know the event took place a while back, but was anyone else shocked as to why he finished the fight that way?

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:22 pm

rory only has 1 fight left on his contract (against wonderboy in june iirc) and said today that he's unhappy with the offers UFC have put on the table so far

he only earned 59K for the fight vs lawler :facepalm: literally a fight that took years from his life

one of the best WW in the world and has a following, they're robbing these fighters
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:51 pm

Meanwhile the McGregors are making tons of money while they really haven't paid their dues. Nothing again Conor, but it's all about selling fights and being a big mouth. Nick and Nate often speak about how they are overworked and underpaid. Clearly some things need to be addressed, but at the end of a day it's a business and those who create the most hype, will get the big pay days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Conor vs Nate rematch all but confirmed for UFC 200 rofl
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Why are you laughing?

While I didn't want a rematch straight away, I think this could still be a good fight. Conor will come in respecting Diaz more and not putting everything into each punch. I think one of the biggest factors in that fight was the fact that mcgregor expected Nate to go down once he tagged him with a left. Diaz had a great chin and rolls with punches very well.

Was there ever a discussion about GSP in here. I only recently found out about his retirement after watching the Johnny Hendricks robbery. It seems very suspicious to me, but I would love to hear what you guys think.

My personal opinion is that GSP was juicing and didn't want to get caught. I don't want to criticize him for not wanting to get beat up, but that's part of the job. It seems to me he doesn't have the heart of a warrior - before the retirement I respected him, but was never a fan of his lay and pray style of fighting. Definitely lost my respect after the whole Hendricks fight. I understand one doesn't want to admit losing, but only a crazy person would tell you GSP won that fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:34 pm

it's a bullshit rematch. defend the belt ffs.

diaz literally rolled off a boat in mexico while on vacation and had a 2 day camp for this fight

he wins 999/10000 on 4 months notice

and actually GSP was the most vocal fighter about drugs in the sport and was pretty much the reason that UFC implemented their USADA testing system and began to clamp down on juicing in general. He subjected himself to olympic level drug testing before fights. While not always entertaining I would never question his heart. He's one of the top 5 greatest of all time and has fought monsters. The more logical explanation for his semi-retirement (strong rumours he's going to be returning soon) is that he had been fighting for so long at a high level and simply wanted a break from it all. I do agree Hendricks should have won that fight though.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:51 pm

The reason GSP stopped because he didn't want to risk head trauma anymore, that's what he said.

I suppose he could be bought back for enough money but I think he's done personally.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Oh lord, he took one beating and became worried about head trauma. Watch the Hendrixks and GSP prefight interview about drug testing - GSP only tested with a company he was the face of (Hendricks words) and refused to take the test that Hendricks camp wanted (allegedly it tests for more PED's). So it seems very suspicious to me.

I just think it's interesting he opted to retire once the new testing was implemented - not the testing he was subjecting himself to before. Many fighters got caught after the new testing was put into practice. I believe George was doing the VADA test and refused to partake in the testing that all Olympic athletes go through (WADA). Head trauma is more of an issue in Boxing because of the gloves weighing more and allowing you to take more shots. I'm not going to deny he is worried about head trauma, but I feel like he took a beating and didn't like how it felt. His style was all about taking a fight to the ground and keeping it there. Then Hendricks came along and put a whooping on him. I think it wasn't so much about the head trauma, it was about him not having the heart of a fighter. The likes of Lawler, Griffin, McDonald, Diaz brothers are all willing to give as much as they take - I just don't think that's the case with GSP and that's ok.

But some of the guys I just mentioned helps build this sport when there was little to no money involved, so I have more respect for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Firenze wrote:

and actually GSP was the most vocal fighter about drugs in the sport and was pretty much the reason that UFC implemented their USADA testing system and began to clamp down on juicing in general. He subjected himself to olympic level drug testing before fights. While not always entertaining I would never question his heart. He's one of the top 5 greatest of all time and has fought monsters. The more logical explanation for his semi-retirement (strong rumours he's going to be returning soon) is that he had been fighting for so long at a high level and simply wanted a break from it all. I do agree Hendricks should have won that fight though.

So he is fighting for more testing and as soon as the UFC implements it, he decides he wants to retire. Read between the lines. Saying George said this or that and making it out to be fact is like me telling you a politician believes something because he said it. I honestly feel GSP was using PEDS and knew in his heart that he couldn't compete without them. Hendricks took it to him and was only throwing punches at about 70% because he didn't want to gas out in his first 5 round fight. He might have just been saying that, but it was clear to me that he was conserving himself during that fight. If you watch his other fights it's clear as day that he has one punch knockout power.

As far as Diaz Mcgregor goes I do agree it shouldn't be rematches so quickly, however this is a business and that's where the big money is. They would be foolish to not make that the UFC 200 fight because the first fight broke records. McGregor fans feel he lost because of the weight so a lot of people are still invested. Again, I don't want that to be the next fight for either of them, but I understand the logic behind it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:27 pm

'gsp is a coward' it just doesn't add up i'm afraid when you're talking about a fighter who has fought against the best of the best and beaten them in his division and had over 25 fights

neither does the part about building the sport with little to no money being involved, GSP's been fighting since 2002 and literally helped put MMA on the map. If his career was money motivated he would come back now and could earn conor money for superfights.

I never looked TOO deep into the whole steroid thing, honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he like 95% of the fighters in the sport were on juice at certain parts of his career but again, don't see that being a reason behind him retiring. he made a bunch of money, helped the sport grow tremendously and got out while he was still mentally sharp which you can't say for a lot of fighters with similar mileage. I wouldn't be shocked if we see him again but I kinda hope we don't he has nothing left to prove.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:30 pm

didn't GSP 'retire' way before they even decided to implement the new USADA testing stuff anyway
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:34 pm

if mcgregor does fight nate against so soon and loses again (and i imagine he will) it will be pretty devastating for him

not personally of course

because there is someone who literally only cares about maximizing profits rather than a love for the sport

I feel like he should have defended against Aldo and then had a rematch but like you said UFC wants dem profits and public interest since UFC 200 is being billed as a milestone event

I actually think Nate is a better match for Mcgregor to take than Edgar is though
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:41 pm

I'm talking about the guys who have been fighting since before the UFC.

I say GSP is a coward in the sense of his fighting style. He doesn't like to get hit - again, I'm not saying one should enjoy taking a beating, however his style was very cautious. It worked for him, but at soon as he took a real beating he called it quits. This is just my opinion, but the timing of everything seems very suspicious to me. Waking away after a clear controversy and not allowing Hendricks a rematch or even admitting he lost. It all just rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not sure about the timing of all the testing, but I thought I was relatively close in timing. Would like to hear your thoughts on the video I posted. That one talks about how GSP was only willing to take the VADA test - which is not the one Olympic athletes use. That would be WADA the test Hendricks agreed to take and GSP essentially refused.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next