Myesyats
FennecFox7
McLewis
Hapless_Hans
VivaStPauli
20 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread

Post by Warrior Sat May 28, 2022 1:45 pm

Sorry to insist... but you didn't give any details on why it's impossible Laughing

Reading your post above you seem like someone who would vote for a third party, because the other 2 are shit. If there are so many swing states it means a lot of people are not definite republicans or definite democrats, they just vote for the least worst candidate.

In Canada when we don't have a majority government, the third party is very important as it holds the balance of power. How many people have voted republican in 2016-2020 by default because they hate Clinton/Biden but they support abortion rights ? And vice versa for those who hate Trump ? I bet a lot of them don't abide strictly by the philosophy of the party they voted for.

Republican 40%
Democrat 40%
Third party 20%... assuming this third party is on the side of reason it could be a big problem for the republicans

Idk exactly how it works down south but i read you guys about how nothing can change, so i assume the binary system is the main culprit. Makes no sense to divide 300 millions americans in 2 political clans.

Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread

Post by Warrior Sat May 28, 2022 1:58 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_party_(United_States)#Barriers_to_third_party_success

Ah now i see the problem

Grosso modo it needs a billionaire to kickstart the whole thing and make it credible nation wide. Difficult but not impossible to achieve.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun May 29, 2022 4:34 am

@warrior a lot of states are passing ranked choice voting laws. This is important as it kills the "wasted vote" argument keeping 3rd parties back. Baby steps in that direction.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:39 pm

Another one.

A guy had back surgery, complained of the pain afterwards, follow up with doctor, was still in pain and dissatisfied with doctor, purchased an assault rifle from a local gun vendor as well as a handgun, went to the hospital and shot it up, killing his doctor, another doctor, a receptionist and another patient before killing himself.

He bought those guns within hours of committing that massacre.

How was he able to buy a gun and use it in a massacre within hours?:

Senate Bill 1081 prevents Oklahoma cities and towns from enacting policies that would allow a court or other entity to restrict gun access to people deemed to be an imminent danger.

That bill was signed into law by Oklahoma's governor last year. That effectively means there was no way to stop this shooter from buying a gun, regardless of his mental state. This bill directly lead to the deaths of these 4 people.

Oklahoma is also a free carry state. No permit needed, no training, no safe, and/or no background check needed to buy and own a gun.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:13 am

Well, clearly everyone at the doctor's office should've been armed to prevent this.

Man, it's heartbreaking how broken the US is.
It's also annoying because it lets Europeans be smug about it, when we should be fixing our own broken-ass countries, and we don't, because they're marginally less broken.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:05 am

I've been debating a conservative on reddit who literally doesn't see anything wrong with this guy being able to get a gun as quickly as he did. To him, this guy's 2A rights superceded his intentions with the weapon. And that's an absolutely fatalist point of view.

For conservatives, everyone's a law abiding gun owner.....until they flip the fuck out and shoot up a place. Then they become a criminal and should be prosecuted to furthest extent of the law. It's literally that black and white to them. That line is very clear to them. They won't lift a finger to stop anyone from doing anything as long as they don't cross that line. All is permissible, as long as that line isn't crossed. And by the time someone actually does cross it (often those won't even know they have, because they're mentally ill or don't care), it's too late to stop them.

All that's left for conservatives to do is :lament the loss of life, defend not stopping the person from crossing the line, hunker down and dig in until the storm of outrage passes. Rinse and repeat. It's worked well for them for 30+ years.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:50 pm

There's been a lot of mass shooting since the last post in this thread, but I want to highlight this one because it's going to get a lot of play in right wing media. Why?

The shooter was killed by a bystander who was armed.....aka the mythical "good guy with a gun". This guy is going to be an instant, overnight hero of the right-wing. They will lionize him to the heavens.

The problem? It's still a myth. Data shows that this scenario just doesn't happen at anywhere near the levels the NRA (who created the slogan) says it does. In fact, a bystander is 4 times more likely to intervene and stop a mass shooter unarmed or with a weapon other than a gun.

But that won't stop the right wing here. They're going to harp on this singular act of "heroism" and use it ad nauseum, conveniently forgetting what happened in Uvalde and all the other times no one stepped up as well as the times someone did and were killed by the police for it.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:41 pm

I'm only aware of 2 "good guy with a gun" stories and in 1 of them he was killed by the police...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:06 am

Precisely. It's a really dangerous fallacy, especially for Black gun owners who may want to do the right thing. Cops will not care who the actual shooter is in those situations.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:33 am

Those two examples saved dozens of lives. And the mall guy is being smeared left, right and centre Rolling Eyes
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:18 pm

Just gonna point out to the NRA, that in Uvalde, the police showed up, which are supposedly multiple good guys with guns, and apparently they just stood around for a bit until the shooting stopped.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:31 pm

In Uvalde 400 officers loitering around for 1 active shooter. If there's a gun police are afraid of then maybe people shouldn't be able to buy that gun.

I'm pretty sure nearly all active shooters scenarios would be solved with a ban on males under 35 buying semi automatic long rifles or high capacity magazines. These are people that don't vote so presumably congress wouldn't care. And it'd be easier to pass than an outright ban. Not sure why age limits are not discussed more often.

But this wouldn't actually solve gun violence as mass shooters are a small percentage of all deaths.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:14 am

Oh yeah mass shootings are what grabs the headlines, but the bulk of shooting victims die in accidents and in murders/manslaughters, not sprees.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:10 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/27/tyre-nichols-video-memphis-police-footage-released

These officers are fully aware they have bodycams on them and still do this shit??? They must've gotten away with a lot, it's basically like a gang within a police unit.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:37 pm

Atrocious and senseless video to watch, you can hear Tyre Nichols scream for his mother and they keep beating him up, those police officers are cowards. They belong in jail for the rest of their pathetic lives.

Whatever the context was there is no excuse for this
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Found Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:09 pm

Kind of ruins the idea that black communities will be better off with just black police officers
Found
Found
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:11 am

Warrior wrote:Atrocious and senseless video to watch, you can hear Tyre Nichols scream for his mother and they keep beating him up, those police officers are cowards. They belong in jail for the rest of their pathetic lives.

Whatever the context was there is no excuse for this

For my own mental health, I decided against watching it. No good will come of it.

Found wrote:Kind of ruins the idea that black communities will be better off with just black police officers

I've lived in Black communities all my life in 3 different states. This was never a thing.

On Black cops in general, James Baldwin said it best:

Black policemen were another matter. We used to say, "If you just must call a policeman" - for we hardly ever did - "for God's sake, try to make sure it's a White one."
A Black policeman could completely demolish you. He knew far more about you than a White policeman could and you were without defense before this Black brother in uniform whose entire reason for breathing seemed to be his hope to offer proof that, though he was Black, he was not Black like you.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:13 am

Nowhere else will this tweet make sense than in 'Murica'.

Embarrassing.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:22 am

I hope it occured while she was eating a hamburger and a bald eagle happened to be flying by overhead.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:30 am

I've always associated baseball games with hot dogs personally. Some people call them "ballpark franks" because of that, but burgers and pizza also get sold too. I go to Detroit Tigers games every once in a while when someone's got a free ticket and I have some free time. The sport itself sucks, but it's generally a good time socially.

The even wilder thing about this to me is this stadium is in a part of Chicago has isn't at all known for any real level of violence. This was likely some right-wing moron from the burbs afraid of the big 'ol city.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:43 am

Every time this thread gets bumped I feel some dread. At least this time it's a little humorous Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:43 am

Yeah agreed.

I could've (and should've) bumped it a few times, especially considering what happened in Jacksonville, but there's just so many of these. So I went with a little levity instead.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:11 am

It's an old habit for me to call the yellow mustard "baseball mustard" to differentiate from the terrible Dijon mustard. Hot-dogs with mustard and ketchup at the baseball game is a classic.

My city used to have a MLB team but they relocated when i was 7-8 years old. What a shame. We had season tickets so i went to the stadium often, i have some nice memories and the amazing taste of the hot-dogs is certainly not the least of them.

To stay on topic whoever brings a gun to a public event is an irresponsible bum at the very least. What i cannot understand is the fascination over weapons and violence in general. To think USA must suffer powerful lobbies such as NRA is so absurd.

There was a video that circulated for a while, of a dude from Oklahoma or something, emptying clips on a tornado to defend his home. Murica Molenation
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:26 pm

Americans are so glorified and desensitised to gun violence they name their favourite glock 9 names like Pat Mahomes or Joe Pesci.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:30 pm

I will never understand how most Americans think it's normal to carry guns. I saw so many videos of people casually walking with assault rifles that it disturbes me, despite being so far away.

America is so strange man, I swear. As a child I used to dream of it as the greatest place. Maybe it used to be, but now I don't think I would go there, ever, under no circumstances.

How many schools need to be shot up for someone to say enough? I know goverments don't really care about people, but this is some next level shit.

Just ban the freaking guns. There is absolutely no need for anyone to have more than one gun per household, and the gun shouldn't be allowed to leave the household. Just for worst case scenario.

But I saw one video of a "protest" that looked more like a riot, and there were more people there with assault rifles than not. And cops were walking by as if that is normal. So I guess it is allowed for people to carry assault rifles in the street? That had me shook, I mean for fucks sake what is going on.
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:07 pm

Warrior wrote:It's an old habit for me to call the yellow mustard "baseball mustard" to differentiate from the terrible Dijon mustard. Hot-dogs with mustard and ketchup at the baseball game is a classic.

Nevermind guns, this is the real controversy in this thread. Dijon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> yellow mustard
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next