Post by El Gunner Mon May 29, 2023 9:35 am

Succession ending:

what y'all think of the ending?

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

The TV Series Thread - Part 5 - Page 22 Empty Re: The TV Series Thread - Part 5

Post by Vibe Mon May 29, 2023 9:48 am

I honestly disliked the entire season. Thought the first 3 were brilliant, but ratings are the highest for season 4.

So that is it? I didn't even know this was the last episode.

Perhaps because we are used to closures. In the end, this was a story about a disfunctional family and it ended that way.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon May 29, 2023 5:31 pm

El Gunner wrote:
Succession ending:

Spoiler:
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Mon May 29, 2023 6:48 pm

So it turns out I thought E7 was the last, and now I've read the spoilers ffs.

3 more to go then.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon May 29, 2023 7:14 pm

Pedram wrote:
El Gunner wrote:
Succession ending:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon May 29, 2023 7:40 pm

i'm not sure if it makes my top 5 though... i felt like there were lots of below par episodes in the beginning of season 3 and 4... felt like the show was just rehashing through the same beats of season 1 and 2 for season 3 and 4 just to extend itself a little bit longer. S1 and 2 are literally perfect though. Top notch television.

Ultimately i think i still reward Mr. Robot's ambition and experimentalism over it for my 5th position. There's also Justified which is frankly flawless for what it is. Succession has the Shakespearean grandeur and scope going for it, and just the absolutely most disgusting dark comedy TV has ever seen.

1. Mad Men
2. Sopranos
3. Better Call Saul
4. The Wire
5. Mr Robot
6. Succession
7. Justified
8. Game of Thrones (if you try your best to forget the downfall)
9. Dexter (if you try your best to forget the downfall)
10. Lost (if you try your best to forget the downfall)
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon May 29, 2023 7:49 pm

Yeah i'm not so sure about the top 5 either as i haven't watched the all time greats like The Wire, Sopranos or Mad Men. two of them are mini series but Succession just about makes it for now, also i'm watching Lost currently and it's making a good case to be in too so we'll see.

1. Band of Brothers
2. Better Call Saul
3. Breaking Bad
4. Chernobyl
5. Succession

I liked Mr Robot at first but as the show progressed it became clear it actually stood for nothing, the director kept pushing that nihilistic take that changing the world is not possible and you're gonna die unhappy and unsatisfied with your life so it kinda rubbed me the wrong way a bit, his show seemed like it was supposed to have a message about capitalism in the first two seasons, but that got thrown out the window for junk psychology.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon May 29, 2023 9:13 pm

re: Mr Robot
i can see why you would feel that way about it, i also feel like Sam Esmail had a certain narrative in mind but also ended up extending the show because it was doing so well. But ultimately i liked the extension, it kind of felt like a Lynchian maze at some point. At the end i think the message was - the best way you can save the world is to be there for yourself, to start with yourself. Corny and cliche i guess, but no movie or TV show really has an answer for how to counter/defeat Capitalism.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:42 pm

Just finishing up the 1st season of From. Solid show.

A good blend of TWD and Lost with some Stephen King-esque horror elements thrown in for good measure. Harold Perrineau anchoring this with some good scenes.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:57 pm

McLewis wrote:Just finishing up the 1st season of From. Solid show.

A good blend of TWD and Lost with some Stephen King-esque horror elements thrown in for good measure. Harold Perrineau anchoring this with some good scenes.

Seems like an interesting show however the reviews suggest it started well and has gone a bit aimless since s2. Is that true?

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:14 pm

McLewis wrote:Just finishing up the 1st season of From. Solid show.

From the creators of Lost hmm, seems intriguing
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:18 am

6 month review:

Did not finish:

Peripheral: Good concept but dragged in the middle and I eventually lost interest

Shining Girls: Big fan of Elizabeth Moss but even so wasn't enough to keep me engaged

Finished

Black Bird: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Amazing miniseries, the 2 leads were incredible. A GL find.

Yellow jackets: ⭐⭐⭐✨ At times incredibly engaging , at others soapy and at others kind of dumb. Enjoyable and worth watching, but just short of greatness.

Beef: ⭐⭐⭐⭐✨ Amazing acting, suspenseful plotline , original and relatable. One of the best things Netflix has put out in years
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:00 am

Elizabeth Moss being a Scientologist yet playing an oppressed woman was just nuts to me. It was enough to break my immersion when watching The Handmaid's Tale. I just can't take her seriously anymore as an actress.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:04 am

Yeah it's nuts. The cynic in me says all these Hollywood scientologists are in it for career advancement and networking, but they could just be crazy. Regardless her talent is undeniable.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:29 am

Why does that even matter?

Most of these Hollywood people strike me as degenerates. But they are actors and they play their roles, surely we are not expecting everyone to actually be the person they are portraying.

I believe the film and music industry are two particularly sick worlds and that we can't even imagine the depth of immorality rooted within those living those lives. Can add the fashion industry in there as well.

By those standards we should just not watch anything.

It's funny, because growing up you imagine this is the dream, the best life there is. I'm fairly certain now that a great majority of these people are extremelly unhappy.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:01 am

@Vibe interesting you make that point, because last night i watched this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSvvvrKhx0w
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:10 am

Elizabeth Moss is a phenomenal actress, a major contributor to the best TV show of all-time, Mad Men. She was good as well in Handmaid's Tale.

Tom Cruise is a phenomenal actor as well, with unparalleled devotion to his craft when it comes to stunt work. I look forward to every Mission Impossible movie, and he drove in huge box office returns for last year's Top Gun sequel.

I couldn't care less about their personal beliefs. It's their right to believe what they want to believe. As long as they don't kill people.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:04 am

Yeah how does it differ from any other religion? Money hungry, child abuse, run on fear

Sounds just like catholicism to me.

Those standards seem way too strict. Other than Tom Hanks, or Keanu Reeves, I'm pretty sure many/most super wealthy people are involved in some crazy stuff one way or another
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:42 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:6 month review:

Did not finish:

Peripheral: Good concept but dragged in the middle and I eventually lost interest

Shining Girls: Big fan of Elizabeth Moss but even so wasn't enough to keep me engaged

Finished

Black Bird: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Amazing miniseries, the 2 leads were incredible. A GL find.

Yellow jackets: ⭐⭐⭐✨ At times incredibly engaging , at others soapy and at others kind of dumb. Enjoyable and worth watching, but just short of greatness.

Beef: ⭐⭐⭐⭐✨ Amazing acting, suspenseful plotline , original and relatable. One of the best things Netflix has put out in years

Watched Blackbird recently too.

Very good but I thought it was a bit too silly at times. Half the stuff in prison was cartoonish and unnecessary.

Great acting by the two leads though
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:15 pm

El Gunner wrote:Elizabeth Moss is a phenomenal actress, a major contributor to the best TV show of all-time, Mad Men. She was good as well in Handmaid's Tale.

Tom Cruise is a phenomenal actor as well, with unparalleled devotion to his craft when it comes to stunt work. I look forward to every Mission Impossible movie, and he drove in huge box office returns for last year's Top Gun sequel.

I couldn't care less about their personal beliefs. It's their right to believe what they want to believe. As long as they don't kill people.

I have no doubt about their talent. Both are excellent at their craft.

That said and knowing what Scientology is from the people who escaped it and are speaking out about it, anyone who willingly chooses to associate themselves with that cult is an awful human being, no matter how talented they are. It takes effort to separate the artist from their craft. Effort quite a few people don't have the energy for.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:20 pm

Myesyats wrote:Yeah how does it differ from any other religion? Money hungry, child abuse, run on fear

Sounds just like catholicism to me.

Those standards seem way too strict. Other than Tom Hanks, or Keanu Reeves, I'm pretty sure many/most super wealthy people are involved in some crazy stuff one way or another

Scientology is far more a pyramid scheme wrapped in the layers of a cult posing as an organized religion than anything else. Any "religion" that can completely bully the US government into 501-c status purely by harassing and stalking various government officials until they got what they wanted is religion to be dismantled and destroyed utterly though the 1st amendment protects them from this. And that's not to mention that it took over an entire town in Florida and claimed it for its headquarters. This isn't just some innocuous religion. It's more sinister than that. Tom Cruise has servants, provided to him by the Church, who cater to his every need, desire and whim. And this is not optional for those folks. It's effectively slavery.

Leah Remini did an excellent documentary on Scientology and she talks quite a bit about Cruise's influence within the religion. She's a former member and was lucky (and rich) enough to get out.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:33 pm

Bullshit, everyone has a choice all the time. It may not be optional under the rules of the religion, but you had a choice to enter that bullshit cult in the first place. And then even still within the religion, if you push away its rules and all the manipulation, you still have a choice. You can make plans to escape as so many people have. They might threaten to kill you or your family or what not, but there is ALWAYS a choice and a will and a way.

Tom Cruise has servants, provided to him by the Church, who cater to his every need, desire and whim. And this is not optional for those folks. It's effectively slavery.
I'm gunna be perfectly honest with you, if i ever had/get any opportunity to live life like a king as well, i would snatch it, live it and embrace it! Most people would. Cruise is just living his best life.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:04 pm

I'm not going to derail this thread with more thoughts on this, but that's a hell of a take.

That said, just like with Top Gun, I'll wait for the next MI movie to hit streaming. If Cruise is going to get residuals from me, I'd rather it be pennies on the dollar than the ridiculous amount of money I'd spend at a movie theater.

As for Moss, it's a good thing the Handmaid's Tale is ending. I'm invested enough to see how it ends, but if I'm honest, nothing else she's done outside of Mad Men has been interesting to me.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:30 pm

I've been feeling nostalgic a bit lately and I realized I wanna watch some Star Trek.

So I went for Star Trek Picard...

I mean WTF. Picard is now a robot and there's a character named Raffi that is pointless but she made out with Seven of Nine ( Heart ) a couple times.

Absolute garbage, nothing to do with what I remember as Star Trek. For two seasons. Now I'm halfway through season 3 and this actually resembles Star Trek. And's it's pretty decent as well. The intro for S3 is different and has that Star Trek feel to it which adds to the experience.

I don't know what happened between season 2 and 3 but it should have happened immediately because the first two seasons have nothing to do with Star Trek, should have been a spinoff called Picard in a Vineyard.

Also Carlo Ancelotti's was in Star Trek Beyond... Only his legs though Laughing
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:48 pm

I haven't tried Picard yet as I'm making my way through the older Star Trek shows. I've gotten through the Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager so far. I'm about done with season 1 of Enterprise.

So far Deep Space Nine is definitely my favorite show.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:16 pm

Captain Sisko Molenation
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite