Kaladin
iftikhar
Firenze
Robespierre
34 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Which two team will progress ?

Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 10 Vote_lcap0%Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 10 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 10 Vote_lcap50%Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 10 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]
Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 10 Vote_lcap50%Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 10 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 10 Empty Re: Champions League 2020/21 | Group H

Post by S Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:59 pm

Even ignoring the racial connotations, referring to some person, in this case, an assistant coach of a football team as 'the black one' is pretty insulting imo. I think context is important here.

I think no one can argue that the assistant ref's choice of words could've been better.

S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 10 Empty Re: Champions League 2020/21 | Group H

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:23 pm

CBarca wrote:Every time I enter a thread like this, I'm reminded why the US, and the world as a whole, has trouble with racism.

As for "is this overblown"? The whole concept behind say no to racism no racism in football etc is that there is zero tolerance. This is the concept of zero tolerance in action.

They're back playing today. This didn't stop the entire footballing world. It was just a case of saying no.

Is saying the word "black" as a descriptor with no racist intent whatsoever "racist"?

Punishing people for doing "racist" things when they were doing nothing of the sort is a fast way to build resentment towards inclusive goals.

I think anglo people need to be open to the idea that in other countries there is no taboo for for the word "black" as there is in English speaking countries. That in most languages it's no different from saying fat, tall, stocky, etc.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:29 pm

I wasn't aware there was a taboo for the word "black".  I thought black was still the acceptable conventional word for describing the "race" (urgh) of African-Americans and other, well, black people. Especially considering every Sky coverage of PL football games has "BLACK LIVES MATTER" plastered next to the score.
"Person of Color" includes much more doesn't it, and frankly noone should be surprised if someone not versed in the conventions, like, say, most non-Americans or foreign speakers, isn't aware that "person of color" is the correct term at the moment while "coloured" is an absolute no go.

Honestly, this is in danger of steering into "I don't see race" territory. What do we want?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:45 pm

What a performance by Neymar. Remember people calling him jester and Mbappe the best player of PSG Laughing Also he scored more goals in CL this year as Hazard has in his entire career.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:50 pm

It isn't racist end of just bad etiquette and plain ignorant and unacceptable in such professional standards.

Lets not take it further than what it is.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:18 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:I wasn't aware there was a taboo for the word "black".  I thought black was still the acceptable conventional word for describing the "race" (urgh) of African-Americans and other, well, black people. Especially considering every Sky coverage of PL football games has "BLACK LIVES MATTER" plastered next to the score.
"Person of Color" includes much more doesn't it, and frankly noone should be surprised if someone not versed in the conventions, like, say, most non-Americans or foreign speakers, isn't aware that "person of color" is the correct term at the moment while "coloured" is an absolute no go.

Honestly, this is in danger of steering into "I don't see race" territory. What do we want?
He said "negru" while speaking in Romanian, which is "black" in his language, or at least that's what I've seen reported.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:08 pm

Can't believe Vibe passed on this opportunity :facepalm: :facepalm:

Clutch wrote:
Vibe wrote:
Clutch wrote:
you sound triggered my guy

I'm not your guy, dude
I'm not your dude, buddy
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:42 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:I wasn't aware there was a taboo for the word "black".  I thought black was still the acceptable conventional word for describing the "race" (urgh) of African-Americans and other, well, black people. Especially considering every Sky coverage of PL football games has "BLACK LIVES MATTER" plastered next to the score.

He said "negru" while speaking in Romanian, which is "black" in his language, or at least that's what I've seen reported.

Yeah I wasn't talking about that, but in general.
But anyway I was asking why you said there was a taboo about the use of "black" in English speaking countries. Which is news to me and I would like to know.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Warrior wrote:Can't believe Vibe passed on this opportunity :facepalm: :facepalm:

Clutch wrote:
Vibe wrote:

I am literally reanimating people rn and remembered this, what a waste.

I'm not your guy, dude
I'm not your dude, buddy

My soul hurts.

I was reanimating people when this happened. I waited for this moment for years and now it's gone
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:09 pm

Fair enough, lad

Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:54 pm

Myesyats wrote:basically this

No, it's not the same, not even close. Here, the guy throws an insult and adds "black" to it to amplify it, making it sound like you're a bigger *bleep* if you're black.

In the ref's case, he was using their skin color to identify them in a crowd. Supposedly, the reason was because he was insulting the refs and, get this, the insults were that he kept calling them gypsies, which would be unequivocally racist
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:08 am

Webo never called anyone gypsy. Fake news doing the rounds on Twitter.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:22 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Yeah I wasn't talking about that, but in general.
But anyway I was asking why you said there was a taboo about the use of "black" in English speaking countries. Which is news to me and I would like to know.
I meant words for black in other languages that get confused for the n-word, sorry if that wasn't clear
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:33 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
CBarca wrote:Every time I enter a thread like this, I'm reminded why the US, and the world as a whole, has trouble with racism.

As for "is this overblown"? The whole concept behind say no to racism no racism in football etc is that there is zero tolerance. This is the concept of zero tolerance in action.

They're back playing today. This didn't stop the entire footballing world. It was just a case of saying no.

Is saying the word "black" as a descriptor with no racist intent whatsoever "racist"?

Punishing people for doing "racist" things when they were doing nothing of the sort is a fast way to build resentment towards inclusive goals.

I think anglo people need to be open to the idea that in other countries there is no taboo for for the word "black" as there is in English speaking countries. That in most languages it's no different from saying fat, tall, stocky, etc.

I've been pretty clear that I don't think this was professional, bordering on racist (or at the very least ignorant) from the ref. Honest, as far as racism goes, this is pretty close to as low on the totem pole as it gets in terms of the severity of the action, IMO (low meaning, not such a terrible thing)

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to the citizens of this thread, who have gone on about how much of an overreaction "hysterics" etc etc.

I think it's fine to disagree, but arguing in bad faith that you can't call someone "black" anymore is such a blatant straw man, and such a childish reaction to an event like this. THAT is what I refer to when I say I understand why the world has trouble with racism.

Honest to God *some* of the responses on here and other threads I've read are more concerning than the official. I'm not saying all, mind, I'm saying some. But *some* is enough to see what kind of issues we have.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:37 am

What is the problem with the word "black" other than in the US and a few other English speaking countries?  Most of the world does not consider the word AT ALL racial, just descriptive as BC said.

How about using some cultural relativism for once as opposed to blind self-righteousness.

People are "canceling" this poor man when he did very little to nothing wrong.

This is beyond loathsome.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:42 am

I can't tell if that's a response to me because I agree with everything you said up until you talk about cancel culture.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:54 am

Btw, I'm willing for someone to enlighten me (I really enjoyed hearing the thoughts on the thread with respect to Cavani's "gracias negrito" and wholeheartedly agreed with the posters there).

Between that thread and this, there are multiple claims that anglicized nations/people need to have a better understanding of race as it relates to the way it is talked about in other cultures. I completely agree with this.

However, this was an incident with a Romanian official, between a French team and a Turkish team. Can someone explain to me where the anglicized understanding of race came into this particular situation? I still haven't received a good answer on this yet.

@Hans: I can unequivocally tell you that there is no taboo around the word "black" in the US and in fact it's used as a descriptor constantly.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:47 am

M99 wrote:Webo never called anyone gypsy. Fake news doing the rounds on Twitter.

Don't know about Webo but ay least on As.com there is a video of the aftermath where you can clearly hear someone from the Basaksehir staff say "in my country Romanians are gypsis" Laughing
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:42 am

No idea why anglicised perception is mentioned as I find their notion of concepts of such things comical at times but has nill to do with the subject.

The referee deserves little sympathy because he is in an environment which has billboards prohibiting racism, 2020 to which movements against specific races were stronger than ever and then as Thimmy mentioned, stringent training against such terms so being angry at him is frivolous its more question how he could not just find another way to locate him but maybe it was just in the heat of the moment or his original conditioning.

Either way, stupid and ignorant move.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10