Kaladin
iftikhar
Firenze
Robespierre
34 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Which two team will progress ?

Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 9 Vote_lcap0%Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 9 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 9 Vote_lcap50%Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 9 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]
Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 9 Vote_lcap50%Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 9 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 9 Empty Re: Champions League 2020/21 | Group H

Post by Myesyats Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:36 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:
M99 wrote:

Simply put, referring to someone as "black guy" is not okay in a professional setting. Imagine doing that on your office. Or even on the streets or any public place. Efficiency is not an excuse for this. Ridiculously tone deaf from the official.

Yeah that's actually absolutely right. That is just not ok.

At first i thought so too but then I flipped. If there was one white guy among black guys and the ref asked who is that white guy there nobody would be offended.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 9 Empty Re: Champions League 2020/21 | Group H

Post by Clutch Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:43 am

Vibe wrote:
Clutch wrote:
Vibe wrote:Everyone is waiting for a chance to be offended, this is the world of today.

We need context. Was he the only black guy out there? If I was the only white guy and someone said the white guy I would not be offended.

Everything is labeled as racism today. We are all about PC and protecting rights and shit like that, but it's all play pretend. Fake and abused... In reality racism hasn't been worse since slavery.

You can't change anyones nature, human garbage will always exist. And making scandals around every single little thing doesn't improve things, it's just the opposite, as evidenced by the current state of the world.
you sound triggered my guy

I'm not your guy, dude
I'm not your dude, buddy

Clutch
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Clutch Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:44 am

Myesyats wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:
M99 wrote:

Simply put, referring to someone as "black guy" is not okay in a professional setting. Imagine doing that on your office. Or even on the streets or any public place. Efficiency is not an excuse for this. Ridiculously tone deaf from the official.

At first i thought so too but then I flipped. If there was one white guy among black guys and the ref asked who is that white guy there nobody would be offended.
Still doesn't make it right, especially in a professional setting

Clutch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:45 am

Myesyats wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:
M99 wrote:

That wouldn't be ok either.

But no, nobody would be offended, cuz I don't get disadvantaged through life constantly in basically every facet of my life for being white.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:45 am

Myesyats wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:
M99 wrote:

Yeah but that's just not the same. This equivalency argument never works because the relation is not balanced. It's a valid logic operation only in a vacuum, not in the context of what we're actually talking about. (for the reason, among others, @CBarca just pointed out)
Surely not a heinous act of racism, and I can't imagine the official would or should get sanctioned for that, but it's good to check the routines of language and patterns of description for these kinds of microagressions.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:54 am

CBarca wrote:
Myesyats wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:

But no, nobody would be offended, cuz I don't get disadvantaged through life constantly in basically every facet of my life for being white.

Are you claiming, or assuming that all black people are constantly disadvantaged in life because of their skin color, and thus people around them should be vary of distinguishing them from others by referring to the color of their skin?

That train of thought reminds me of the pro-trans people or progressives these days, who get hysterically offended when someone steps over their arbitrary standards of offensive behavior. Not everyone assumes the worst possible scenario, and not everyone possesses the ability to assume and always minding what others could possibly be offended by.

Last edited by Thimmy on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:54 am

The truth is our race simply does not face enough discrimination for us to play any victim. Yes there are areas where there is CLEAR racism and that is in most parts of Africa, I for one experienced serious racism and threats even but that is one continent and not historical. There isn't much distinction in the racism the white race compared to black people as the former is weighed in a different pattern and correlation compared to what the latter face daily.

Yes many play the race card for the sake of it as we know and double standards do exist but in the current climate when the example is to be set more than ever, referring to someone as the black guy just isn't wise for your image or what you educate others upon.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:56 am

Thimmy wrote:
CBarca wrote:
Myesyats wrote:

Are you claiming, or assuming that all black people are constantly disadvantaged in life because of their skin color, and thus people around them should be vary of distinguishing them from others by referring to the color of their skin?

That train of thought reminds me of the pro-trans people or progressives these days, who get hysterically offended when someone steps over their arbitrary standards of offensive behavior.

I highly disagree with any form of any victim complex in any sphere at all as it is pathetic and just not worth paying attention to but sadly racism towards the exact race outweighs breaks the balance of the fulcrum hence why it is a very delicate debate required here and better to describe even where in the world.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:04 am

CBarca wrote:
Myesyats wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:

but he did not get carded for being black lol

He has a great job at a european football club how is he disadvantaged?

just because someone is offended doesn't mean they're right.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:05 am

CBarca wrote:
Myesyats wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:

This isn't white American vs Black American though. The ref is from Romania, the assistant coach is from Cameroun, both of these countries are fairly monoethnic. Does the white/oppressor-black/oppressed dichotomy really apply here?
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:06 am

I agree, and 'where in the world' is definitely applicable to these debates, which is why I find it a bit silly that CB went through the trouble of specifying his impression of "black peoples' predicament in life" through an indirect suggestion.

You can't expect people to treat others based on assumptions of what their world view or life experience might be like, unless it's already been established. I'm not surprised that there are people who are more than willing to jump to the worst possible conclusion, these days. So, what's GL's verdict? Is the ref a racist? Is he not? If he's not, does he still deserve punishment for acting out of line? Are grey zones always an opportunity for controversy?
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:09 am

I personally don't think the ref is racist per say but by the definition of M99's translation it is considered derogatory in Romania so more accurately he is just ignorant and not used to being confronted for it like "The greatest african striker of all time Pierre Webb" did directly to him.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 am

It's not like I know what I'm talking about but I just think the act doesnt justify this level of outrage.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Perucho21 Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:23 am

So will the match be played today or tomorrow? Regardless, PSG and Leipzig are through
Perucho21
Perucho21
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:26 am

And kids, this is the exact reason why Romanians who live in the US don't say "negru" or "negri." They use a different term, which is probably even more derogatory
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:26 am

Black footballers have a history of experiencing monkey chants and bananas thrown at them in a football pitch. In the very competition there is "No To Racism" plastered all over as a response to racism that is prevalent in football. So yes in a football match, racial dichotomy does apply.

I'm not surprised at all by people being triggered by easily offended progressives, the sad state of the modern world and what not and brushing this off as an overblown incident. What the guy did was unprofessional and not okay. No need to bring "what if he was white" into this. As Hans said, equivalency argument does not work in these cases.

Is he a racist pig, no, I don't know anything else about him, not gonna assume. But you don't refer to someone in that way especially in a professional setting. And his response just showed how tone deaf he was.

Last edited by M99 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:27 am

Arquitecto wrote:I personally don't think the ref is racist per say but by the definition of M99's translation it is considered derogatory in Romania so more accurately he is just ignorant and not used to being confronted for it like "The greatest african striker of all time Pierre Webb" did directly to him.

The ref, and ideally, officials in general, need to undergo training or instructions on how to avoid these situations in the future. The increasing, societal emphasis on political correctness warrants it. Even if the player(s) involved aren't offended, social media now has the influence to blow these things out of proportion, regardless of whether or not there's any substance to the controversy. I think it should be mandatory for refs with backgrounds in the more homogenous regions of Europe, who aren't used to being around people outside of their own race.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:34 am

M99 wrote:Black footballers have a history of experiencing monkey chants and bananas thrown at them in a football pitch. In the very competition there is "No To Racism" plastered all over as a response to racism that is prevalent in football. So yes in a football match, racial dichotomy does apply.

I'm not surprised at all by people being triggered by easily offended progressives, the sad state of the modern world and what not and brushing this off as an overblown incident. What the guy did was unprofessional and not okay. No need to bring "what if he was white" into this. As Hans said, equivalency argument does not work in these cases.

Is he a racist pig, no, I don't know anything else about him, not gonna assume. But you don't refer to someone in that way especially in a professional setting. And his response just showed how tone deaf he was.

The one time when it is acceptable to point someone's skin color is when you are identifying them, which is what the guy was doing. The first thing the 911 operator (or the police) asks you when you report a crime is the perp's age and the second one is their race. Relax, there's nothing tone deaf about it.
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:47 am

adun101 wrote:
M99 wrote:Black footballers have a history of experiencing monkey chants and bananas thrown at them in a football pitch. In the very competition there is "No To Racism" plastered all over as a response to racism that is prevalent in football. So yes in a football match, racial dichotomy does apply.

The one time when it is acceptable to point someone's skin color is when you are identifying them, which is what the guy was doing. The first thing the 911 operator (or the police) asks you when you report a crime is the perp's age and the second one is their race. Relax, there's nothing tone deaf about it.
and then you end up with the wrong black guy on the electric chair, or with Kieran Gibbs sent off instead of Oxlade-Chamberlain..
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:28 am

Society in 100 years:

"How did the bank robber look like?"

"Well, he was black and ..."

"Please try again without being racist. So how did they look like?"

"So, he was ..."

"HE? How do you know they were a "he"? Did they reveal their feelings about their gender while doing the robbery? Try again without sexism."

"They were looking like a clump of cells."

"Thank you for your cooperation."

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:49 am

Champions League 2020/21 | Group H - Page 9 Captur10
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:22 am

Fun fact: Obama was half white. He was as "mixed-race" as you can get.

Although it is common for mixed people to identify as Black in the census.

Last edited by danyjr on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:22 am

Every time I enter a thread like this, I'm reminded why the US, and the world as a whole, has trouble with racism.

As for "is this overblown"? The whole concept behind say no to racism no racism in football etc is that there is zero tolerance. This is the concept of zero tolerance in action.

They're back playing today. This didn't stop the entire footballing world. It was just a case of saying no.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:27 am

basically this

Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:59 am

You have to be racially discriminated against to understand racism imo... intent is the entire key to me. Someone who has no malicious intent can call me "Arab-looking" and, although clumsy, I don't get offended. More than likely, the one person is just describing a physical attribute so that the other person can pick me out of the crowd... same with someone saying "that Latino dude" to someone. It's not racist.

On the other hand, someone like Donald Trump can say "I've been a great friend to the Middle East" and I know he's a disingenuine racist prick despite the words.

From what I've gathered about this incident (and I may have missed something), the 4th referee's only intent was to help the main referee pick out the right player. It so happens that the player is black. Saying "the black player" in this context isn't racist at all to me.

sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:59 am

Even ignoring the racial connotations, referring to some person, in this case, an assistant coach of a football team as 'the black one' is pretty insulting imo. I think context is important here.

I think no one can argue that the assistant ref's choice of words could've been better.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next