Freeza
Kaladin
Tomwin Lannister
Great Leader Sprucenuce
zigra
25 posters

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Go down

Star Wars – Official Canon Thread.  - RIP Carrie Fisher - Page 5 Empty Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by M99 Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:56 pm

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/02/17/the-jedi-in-star-wars-the-last-jedis-title-is-plural

M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Star Wars – Official Canon Thread.  - RIP Carrie Fisher - Page 5 Empty Re: Star Wars – Official Canon Thread. - RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by zigra Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:05 pm

Don't think that confirms anything. (German) translation for movie titles is quite often terrible and I've seen it many times change the whole meaning.
And yeah that's true for blockbuster movies as well.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:10 pm

zigra wrote:Don't think that confirms anything. (German) translation for movie titles is quite often terrible and I've seen it many times change the whole meaning.
And yeah that's true for blockbuster movies as well.

It's supposed to be a double meaning in English. But that's almots impossible to translate.

Episode 6 also had a double meaning title. Return of the Jedi = could be return of Anakin, return of Luke, return of both of them, or return of Jedi as heroes.

In every other language it's singular from what I reckon.

I don't take translations as anything definitive.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Its plural in Spanish, French, Portuguese, German.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:14 pm

In Spanish its plural. "Los Ultimos Jedis"

I don't think they would screw up that badly and not check for the translation.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 pm

M99 wrote:Its plural in Spanish, French, Portuguese, German.

Is it possible to give the title double meaning in those languages?

I know it's not possible in German at least.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Freeza wrote:

Not in Spanish. Los Ultimos Jedi clearly states there are several (more than one) Jedi.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 pm

M99 wrote:
Freeza wrote:

Not in Spanish. Los Ultimos Jedi clearly states there are several (more than one) Jedi.

I know it's plural in those languages.

I'm asking if it's possible to construct a sentence in those languages that is a double meaning, like it is in English. Because if it isn't, that's not any definitive reveal about the title.

I already named Return of Jedi as an example. That title was singular in all the translations. Meanwhile it obviously has the meaning of both singular and plural in English and in the context of the movie, as I have stated above. It can mean singular as in Luke or Anakin. It can mean plural in Anaking and Luke or plural as in the Jedi Order as a whole.

The only real title is the English one. The plurality of the foreign ones are due to not being able to translate it directly without losing the meaning of the originals. And the fact that the foreign countries need a title they can understand due to a low percentage understanding English.

Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 am

Freeza wrote:
M99 wrote:
Freeza wrote:

I know it's plural in those languages.

I'm asking if it's possible to construct a sentence in those languages that is a double meaning, like it is in English. Because if it isn't, that's not any definitive reveal about the title.

I already named Return of Jedi as an example. That title was singular in all the translations. Meanwhile it obviously has the meaning of both singular and plural in English and in the context of the movie, as I have stated above. It can mean singular as in Luke or Anakin. It can mean plural in Anaking and Luke or plural as in the Jedi Order as a whole.

The only real title is the English one. The plurality of the foreign ones are due to not being able to translate it directly without losing the meaning of the originals. And the fact that the foreign countries need a title they can understand due to a low percentage understanding English.

Agree with the post in general but the translation of ROTJ was not singluar in every language. In German it's "Die Rückkehr der Jedi-Ritter" which translates to "The return of the jedi knights".
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 am

I'm pretty sure it's singular in German also.
Isn't Der Ritter singular while Die Ritter is the plural
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:57 am

No you can't have a plural and singular form of an article in German. So who ever names the movies in other languages had to have a correct answer from George Lucas on what "The Last Jedi" means-- if it is singular or plural.

Now what zigra said is also true, a lot of title translations in German are not literally translated and sometimes have even different meanings from the original names so this doesn't confirm anything on it's own but considering that all the title translations in German, Italian, Brazilian etc... all came out at the same time makes me believe that this was intentional and "The Last Jedi" really is in plural.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:55 pm

The double meaning is still intentional in English. But since this isn't possible to directly translate, they're gonna go with "the most correct" option. If it was possible to give the title more than one meaning in other languages they would have.

I always thought the film title was supposed to be both really.
Luke being cursed with always being "The Last Jedi". He tries continuing the legacy of them, but it seems impossible. Then Rey comes along and makes the plural of the title possible.

Anyways. Can't wait. Still two months until the trailer though... Sad
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Freeza wrote:I'm pretty sure it's singular in German also.

In general (or better: nominative) your 2nd sentence is correct but it's plural because "Jedi-Ritter" in this instance is in genitive (http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Ritter just jump to "Genitiv" and you should see the table).
Singular form for the title would be "Die Rückkehr des Jedi-Ritters".
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:42 pm

zigra wrote:
Freeza wrote:I'm pretty sure it's singular in German also.

In general (or better: nominative) your 2nd sentence is correct but it's plural because "Jedi-Ritter" in this instance is in genitive (http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Ritter just jump to "Genitiv" and you should see the table).
Singular form for the title would be "Die Rückkehr des Jedi-Ritters".

Yeah I can see that now. German is so hard Laughing

Anyways. Titles in different languages aren't really anything I'd go by, no matter how Disney has influence on it. They are just naming it after what will get the most money at this point. I despise translated titles in general.

In Danish we have some titles translated from English to English to better sell to a Danish audience.

Die Hard: With a Vengeance is called Die Hard: Mega Hard in Denmark.

Also Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is called Ass Trip on First Class (Røvtur på 1. klasse)
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Star Wars – Official Canon Thread.  - RIP Carrie Fisher - Page 5 Han-solo-star-wars-spinoff-cast-alden-ehrenreich-donald-glover
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:54 pm

This is so amazing

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:09 am

Finally watched episode VII. How did I never hear how good this movie was??

Disney with the GOAT star wars revivals with this rogue one and this.

So entertaining from start to end. The only weaker point was that I felt that Kylo Ren was kind of a bitch until he did you know what...

Watched it with my girlfriend, when Han first appeared she said something like "wow they managed to get Harrison Ford for star wars, that's a big deal!" As in, she didn't know Ford was in star wars from the beginning and thought he was too big of a deal for these movies because he was Indiana Jones rofl rofl
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:15 am

OMG rofl
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Apparently Omar is going to be the villain in the Han Solo film
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Freeza wrote:Apparently Omar is going to be the villain in the Han Solo film

Omar from The Wire?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:30 pm

El Gunner wrote:
Freeza wrote:Apparently Omar is going to be the villain in the Han Solo film

Omar from The Wire?

Yep. Finally getting a huge role it seems. Long overdue.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Oh Chalky from boardwalk, solid actor.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:12 pm

OMAR FFS :bow:
Han best not miss.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:09 am

I have discovered the greatest thing on the internet rofl

https://www.reddit.com/r/PrequelMemes/top/?sort=top&t=all
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:33 am

I mean you are not wrong lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PrequelMemes/comments/5z0n6i/after_visiting_rsequelmemes/

I *bleep* died rofl
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:45 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/PrequelMemes/comments/5z43qb/hifw_i_see_rogue_one_posts/

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next