EL Patron
Chumlum
Sina
Raptorgunner
RealGunner
52 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Sri Wed May 07, 2014 2:57 am

Despite all said and done, I would take Cesc back.

* If he's not expecting the same star-around-whom-the-team-was-built treatment and captaincy. It would detrimental to team chemistry and a slap in the faces of the players who fought tooth and nail to help Wenger rebuild from scratch after he left.
* If he's willing to fight for his place and rotate with Özil and Cazorla and Rosicky and Wilshere.
* If he commits to the long term, instead of wanting to jump back to Barca within 2-3 years because he's home sick again.

If he is still the man he was when he was here, and the man so many of us loved and respected.

Per deserves the armband, in case Vermalen leaves.

And while on the topic of flying pigs: Cesc (10m - assuming deductions against outstanding payments), Vela (3m - buyback), Aurier (say 15m), CB (say 10m) would make for a darn good summer.

I still miss the striker in that. But I can think of any marquee signings happening this summer, given the WC and assuming Wenger stays, the need for stability. But putting Cesc and Vela into the mix does make it look much better.

Throw in Griezmann or Cuadardo and BOOM.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by AnJl Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 am

And where is your DM Sri?

If we sign Cesc, then we are screwed defensively, especially with Sagna leaving.
AnJl
AnJl
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 07, 2014 3:21 am

I wanted to put in Bender but Sad

Ramsey, Wlshere, Arteta, Flamini, Diaby for 2 deep midfield roles hmm

Ox can also play there. As can Rosicky. But one of Arteta/Flamini are crucial. I wouldn't say no to a young DM though, to fill Arteta's boots over the next 2 years. Ginter, maybe?

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed May 07, 2014 9:34 am

Arsenal want clarification on Javi Martinez before pursuing £20m Lars Bender

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2622400/Arsenal-want-clarification-Javi-Martinez-pursuing-20m-Lars-Bender.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed May 07, 2014 9:47 am

RealGunner wrote:Arsenal want clarification on Javi Martinez before pursuing £20m Lars Bender

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2622400/Arsenal-want-clarification-Javi-Martinez-pursuing-20m-Lars-Bender.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I hope we drop this Bender crap already, he just signed a long term contract and captains Neverkusen, doesn't want to move anywhere.

Good that we're keeping tabs on Javi but we cannot wait too long, if he doesn't want to leave soon go for Gustavo/Schneiderlin/Witsel and be done with it. Can't afford to do the waiting game all the time, especially after what happened last summer.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed May 07, 2014 10:13 am

Bender of Neverkusen has looked VERY average to me the few times i've seen him... granted, it's been mostly in CL where Neverkusen just fall apart. But even so, i don't think Arsenal wants a player that looks completely out of his depth on the big stage.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Wed May 07, 2014 10:21 am

Oooh Schneiderlin
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 am

Survey shows Arsenal fans are cynical about upcoming summer window:

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2014/arsenal-transfer-survey-results-fans-feel-club-will-come-up-one-short-again/

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 07, 2014 11:17 am

srigooner wrote:I wanted to put in Bender but Sad

Ramsey, Wlshere, Arteta, Flamini, Diaby for 2 deep midfield roles hmm

Ox can also play there. As can Rosicky. But one of Arteta/Flamini are crucial. I wouldn't say no to a young DM though, to fill Arteta's boots over the next 2 years. Ginter, maybe?

Sorry but that's wrong thinking imo.

Except for Flamini noone is a defensive midfielder. Ramsey is a box to box player. Arteta is a deep lying playmaker. Plus he's old and slow, as are Flamini and Rosicky.

Wilshere and the Ox played alongside Arteta in DM, against Liverpool and Chelsea respectively.
Look where that ended. Both were all over the place, out of position and losing balls, leaving Arteta and your central defense exposed.
Terrible idea, especially since Arteta is not defensively strong enough to deal with it alone.

Wilshere and the Ox CAN NOT play there. Period. They should make the play, make runs and create, NOT clean up at the back. Because they can't.

Diaby. Of course it's not INCONCEIVABLE he becomes and stays fit at some point, but he's made ZERO appearances all season, 15 (!!) since 2011 ffs.
It's INSANE to plan with him. With Einstein's definition, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity.

What cost you this season, except for Özil's, Ramsey's and Walcott's injuries?
The disastrous away games against fellow top 4, which were such disasters arguably because of your lack of a defensive midfield (and the according tactical mistakes).

You NEED a proper top DM, just as much as a top striker, maybe even more urgently. Both would be ideal, of course.

And I'm not just saying that to point a finger. Look at us.
Pep dissolved the double pivot with Schweini alongside a real destroyer and ball winner (Martinez).
His system had no place for Martinez anymore, as he wanted a single pivot who's great on the ball.

That worked just fine when he put Lahm there, who's great defensively (he's a defender after all), has great positioning and good tackling abilities.
But also that REQUIRES our whole team to press like crazy, as we're supposed to tighten the space really well, win the ball early, and the back four is standing so high that they can be where the dm destroyer would be.

Once this tight system was loosened, with Pep putting Kroos and Schweinsteiger in DM again, and our team not bothering to press as relentlessly anymore, the whole thing started to get real vulnerable, as everyone saw.

You never press like that, and as long as you don't you'll need a sturdy defensive midfield. A player like Bender or Martinez (who we won't sell this summer, if we're not stupid, btw, so forget it) is a missing piece for you

New wingers etc, ok, sure, but AFTER you've adressed the critical area. Walcott will be back, Gnabry can be used more (another thing I don't understand about Wenger's February/March selections).
And we all know you buying multiple high value players in one window is not really to be expected, right?

Or am I wrong here?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 am

The unlikelihood of Martinez leaving Bayern won't stop the British press machine churning out reports like this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10814502/Arsenal-make-approach-to-Bayern-Munich-for-transfer-of-Javi-Martinez.html

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 07, 2014 11:48 am

well, it's not wrong to try, and try early, as he would be a fantastic addition (not only to you, also to City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barca, and Real Laughing )

So if Wenger is indeed keen on a Martinez type player, that's surely a good sign.

But, as urban said, I really can't imagine we'd sell him, and probably Wenger would try a bid of £20m for a player we bought last year for 35 and who's a CL winner since, so other options should be quickly considered...

Gustavo has a £20m release clause I think. He would've been cheaper last year of course, but after the WC he's probably more willing to be adventurous and go to a top club again hmm

Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 07, 2014 12:15 pm

All your points were, in due respect, a bit pointless.

I said all those people can play in the two deep midfield positions but one of Arteta/Flamini are crucial.

To explain succinctly, we don't play 2 DMs, so we need one player to play anchor, while the other can link up. Jack/Ox/Rosicky/Ramsey can play link up. Only Arteta/Flamini/Diaby can anchor. Which is why I said it would be nice to get a young DM, who can gradually take over from Arteta/Flamini over the time.

Also, there were more reasons for those away loses than who played alongside Arteta. Flamini-Arteta axis, employed in quite a few games, was downright pathetic to sit through. Can't use a handful of matches to gauge player skills. (Same for Bender, but that's another topic).

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 07, 2014 12:30 pm

srigooner wrote:All your points were, in due respect, a bit pointless.

I said all those people can play in the two deep midfield positions but one of Arteta/Flamini are crucial.

To explain succinctly, we don't play 2 DMs, so we need one player to play anchor, while the other can link up. Jack/Ox/Rosicky/Ramsey can play link up. Only Arteta/Flamini/Diaby can anchor. Which is why I said it would be nice to get a young DM, who can gradually take over from Arteta/Flamini over the time.

Also, there were more reasons for those away loses than who played alongside Arteta. Flamini-Arteta axis, employed in quite a few games, was downright pathetic to sit through. Can't use a handful of matches to gauge player skills. (Same for Bender, but that's another topic).

Maybe I'm wrong, but that was my point.
True, you don't play 2 DMs, but with Arteta + anyone other than Flamini you in fact play NO, or maybe half a, DM.
With Arteta + Flamini you play 2 player who together kind of add up to one DM, and then you're missing the dynamic part.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 07, 2014 12:35 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but that was my point.
True, you don't play 2 DMs, but with Arteta + anyone other than Flamini you in fact play NO, or maybe half a, DM.
With Arteta + Flamini you play 2 player who together kind of add up to one DM, and then you're missing the dynamic part.

<you aren't wrong Hans, you are saying the same thing that I am saying. Smile

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 07, 2014 12:39 pm

ok then, we misunderstood each other, the point I guess is:

If Arteta/Flamini need replacing, and they need it, why slowly, gradually, in two years, etc.?

Why would you need that time? You need some URGENCY.
Why not get a player that, well, you know, can replace them?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed May 07, 2014 1:25 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:ok then, we misunderstood each other, the point I guess is:

If Arteta/Flamini need replacing, and they need it, why slowly, gradually, in two years, etc.?

Why would you need that time? You need some URGENCY.
Why not get a player that, well, you know, can replace them?

Again, I said get a player who can replace them gradually - not after two years. A Bender or a Ginter type, who can learn from them, increasingly rotate with them and eventually, displace them.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by AnJl Wed May 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Too much doom and gloom on this thread.

Here, have some Poldi love.

http://gfycat.com/MarvelousQuarterlyBassethound
AnJl
AnJl
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Think Everyone agrees that a DM is needed, Arteta can play defensive mid as long as we don't play with the gun ho approach which leaves him exposed, not sure how long He has left at this level but.Flamini is good as cover but not starter quality.

Diaby has missed the entire season and doesn't have the discipline to play there, he can do a job there if required but i wouldn't rely on him as a defensive mid against quality opposition.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed May 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Everyone agrees we need a DM, but Wenger does not agree. Laughing 
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed May 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:Everyone agrees we need a DM, but Wenger does not agree. Laughing 

He does want to sign one, he made an approach for Bender last summer but Leverkusen weren't prepared to sell and Bender was happy at his club anyway. He is trying find one who suits the way we play, Arteta was a panic but you see how quickly he adapted to the tactics and the way we play.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 07, 2014 3:40 pm

EL Patron wrote:. He is trying find one who suits the way we play, Arteta was a panic but you see how quickly he adapted to the tactics and the way we play.

As if Arsenal are playing a way of football players need that much adapting to. Lol, you play like anyone else, what's the big deal?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed May 07, 2014 3:46 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:Everyone agrees we need a DM, but Wenger does not agree. Laughing 

"I wonder why the media are linking us with so many DM's,  I've just signed Flamini"

Laughing
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Wed May 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Kicker report that Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United are all interested in signing Thomas Müller.
!!!!!
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed May 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
EL Patron wrote:. He is trying find one who suits the way we play, Arteta was a panic but you see how quickly he adapted to the tactics and the way we play.

As if Arsenal are playing a way of football players need that much adapting to. Lol, you play like anyone else, what's the big deal?

rofl  rofl 

I don't mean it in a fussy way, by that i mean a defensive mid who can do like almost anything. One who is strong but also technically adept. You get defensive mids that are good athlete and good defenders but average technically. Those ones are too limited in what they can offer, the defenside role at Arsenal is just not defending. You have to help the team maintain posession and also start attacks from deep, all this takes getting used to especially if a player is just used to sitting in front of their back four and doing nothing else.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Wed May 07, 2014 4:09 pm

More Quotes from meeting with fans
Gazidis explained the saga over Suarez's clause but added that it would've taken us at least four months to win the case in court.
Regarding Suarez and his clause, Ivan added that the law and the rules were on our side and that we would've won the case without any doubts
Before deciding whether to continue pursuing, the club sat down with the club's lawyers and made the decision not to continue the case.
Our club definitely worked alongside the rules and applied and checked every law but needed Suarez to bring the case to court.
Once we contacted Liverpool and offered the 40 million for Luis after founding out about his clause, we needed the player to enforce it.
https://twitter.com/MAmpov10/status/464111803149320194
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed May 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Sina wrote:Kicker report that Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United are all interested in signing Thomas Müller.
!!!!!

noooooooooooo pls, do not want. i think he might go to chelsea though, he's a mou type player, they need an AM.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next