Curtinho
BusterLfc
iftikhar
26 posters

Page 5 of 43 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24 ... 43  Next

Go down

Summer of 2014 - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer of 2014

Post by BeautifulGame Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool sent scouts to observe Fenerbahce full back Caner Erkin represent Turkey against Sweden on Wednesday.

Erkin is free to speak to clubs this month, with his contract set to expire at the end of the season.

Liverpool have been closely linked with the 25-year-old since the winter transfer window however, an no offers have been made according to his agent agent Batur Altıparmak.

Altıparmak has however, previously confirmed that a number of clubs from England are keeping tabs on the Turkish international.

Erkin setup the second goal in Turkey's 2-1 victory and has 11 assists in the league this season.

The Turkish international is a versatile left-back who can also play on the left-wing in attacking roles.

Erkin has been one of the most in-form players in the Turkish Super League this season racking up 11 assists and two goals in 19 appearances.

Erkin joined CSKA Moscow for €3 million aged 19 and later went onto play for Galatasaray on loan after which he joined Fenerbahçe on a permanent move for €3 million in 2010.

The 25-year-old lifted the Turkish Cup for the second year running and played an important role in Fenerbahce reaching the Europa League semi-finals last season.

Fenerbahce are currently first in the Super League and managed by Ersun Yanal.

Source: Turkishfootball

BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:37 pm

Red Alert wrote:
Art Morte wrote:
Red Alert wrote:

What are your thoughts on Juan Mata, and I guess Coutinho then?

Their style isn't that of David Silva's. Hardly any player's is (in the Prem anyway).

Similar style at an individually level.

Different style as City/Livepool/Chelsea(United) play differently.

No.

Silva: The ultimate pass-and-move player. Doesn't matter whether it's in his own half or (more frequently) in the attacking half, he is always looking to come pick up the ball, draw a player or two close to him and either distribute it onwards first-time or after one or two touches. Always making a bit of space for himself with his movement and uses that space ever so brilliantly. Rarely goes on a dribble, but enjoyes those second-wave surges into the penalty area, from which he probably scores most of his goals. Is just a beauty to watch with his off-the-ball movement and exquisite technique which pretty much guarantees that he always finds a team-mate with his pass. Doesn't defend that much, though, or tackle.

Coutinho: More intense on and off the ball than Silva and tracks back nowadays, too. Small in frame, but isn't afraid of throwing himself about and making a tackle. Fancies the occasional dribble and overall spends more time on the ball than Silva. Loves attempting through-balls even more than Silva and they're both excellent at them, too. Doesn't look that comfortable in the box rather than just outside of it.

Mata: Somewhere in between those two. Dribbles more than Silva, less than Coutinho. Tracks back more than Silva, less than Coutinho. More comfy in the box than Coutinho, less comfy than Silva. Perhaps crosses the ball more often than either of those two.

Anyway, the individual styles of those three players are not similar and, like I said, Silva is just in a class of his own when it comes to his particular style. It's difficult to pull off successfully, because you need such an amazing first-touch and close control to be able to pass it as quicky and accurately in tight spaces as Silva does. The best player out of these three as well. And Suso has some of that casual appearance as Silva does - who you see rarely sprinting full speed - and confidence with the ball, but is a poor man's version. Not that he is totally similar, either, but closer to Silva's style out of top PL attacking-midfielders, imo. And if Silva was a little worse than he is, his style just wouldn't work in the Premiership, so that's why I don't see a bright future for Suso at Liverpool.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:55 am

Silva and Mata are pretty much the same player but play a different style as they play for different teams. Coutinho's quite not ready yet but can be that. (I personally think Suso has the greater chance, Coutinho reminds me of a poor mans 'Dinho.)

With that said, they have a similiar playing style at an individual level. They all look to cut inside, and look to play the decisive pass.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:14 am

Liverpool send scout to watch Red Bull Salzburg's Martin Hinteregger

Source: The Guardian
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:45 am

Borini has impressed during a temporary switch to fellow Barclays Premier League side Sunderland, netting a sublime effort in last weekend's Carling Cup final against Manchester City at Wembley, while Suso has notched up seven assists in 24 appearances for La Liga's Almeria.

"Fabio has got games and scored some very important goals," Rodgers told the Liverpool Echo.

"He got the opportunity to play in a major final at Wembley. All that bodes well for the future.

"The likes of young Suso has had a terrific loan in Spain playing regular first-team football.

"He will come back and come into the squad in the summer and then we will assess where he's at."

Borini and Suso are two of a total of 12 players Liverpool currently have out on loan.

Rodgers believes it's a system that can be advantageous to all concerned, particularly young players in search of first-team experience.

"The loans have certainly been beneficial," he said.

"There are different types of loans for different players. In particular for the young players it's very important for them to gain that experience.

"It's good for us to put them into clubs who operate with a similar philosophy. That helps their development and hopefully brings them back ready to play pressurised football at a high level.

"We've got Andre Wisdom doing really well at Derby at the top end of the Championship and young Conor getting league experience at Sheffield United. He needed to go away and prepare himself to play every single week."

Meanwhile, Rodgers has paid tribute to the attitude and determination of Liverpool's fringe players.

The manager acknowledges the form of some his senior stars, particularly the forward line, has made it difficult for the likes of Iago Aspas to hold down a first-team berth.

Rodgers explained: "It's been a season where it's been difficult for some of our fringe players, especially the strikers.

"I feel for the likes of Iago. He works tirelessly every day. He hasn't got a lot of minutes but he has been brilliantly professional. That indirectly helps the likes of Luis and Daniel.

"It's been hard for some of those guys but they have still committed themselves to help the overall team. I know that ultimately at some stage they will want to play games."

Both Suso and Borini will be part of our CL trophy hunt next season  Cool 
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:42 am

Linked to Fischer for 15m pounds from the Metro.........

Great talent, but not worth it at that price at all.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:01 am

Henry prepared to back Rodgers to the hilt if Liverpool secure Champions League spot

Liverpool owner John W Henry will hand Brendan Rodgers a £60million summer transfer kitty if he qualifies for the Champions League.
Henry and his fellow backers have been delighted with the way Rodgers has made progress to challenge for the title and are planning to give him a new bumper three-year contract before the end of this season.
To help negotiations, Liverpool will make it clear they are happy to back Rodgers in the transfer market should he secure a top-four place.

Rodgers wants to sign two centre-halves, a left-back, creative midfielder, winger and back-up striker to compete on four fronts next season.
He has already been linked with Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka of Dnipro, Benfica’s Nicolas Gaitan, Switzerland left-back Ricardo Rodriguez and Cardiff City centre-back Steven Caulker.
Henry is also willing to improve the 41-year-old’s £2m-a-year contract but can wait to sit down with Rodgers as he still has 15 months left on his current deal with the club holding a further 12-month option after that.
Rodgers took over from Kenny Dalglish in the summer of 2012 and his side go to Manchester United next Sunday as genuine contenders to win their first league title since 1989-90.
They last played in the Champions League in 2009.

BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:26 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:Henry prepared to back Rodgers to the hilt if Liverpool secure Champions League spot

Liverpool owner John W Henry will hand Brendan Rodgers a £60million summer transfer kitty if he qualifies for the Champions League.
Henry and his fellow backers have been delighted with the way Rodgers has made progress to challenge for the title and are planning to give him a new bumper three-year contract before the end of this season.
To help negotiations, Liverpool will make it clear they are happy to back Rodgers in the transfer market should he secure a top-four place.

Rodgers wants to sign two centre-halves, a left-back, creative midfielder, winger and back-up striker to compete on four fronts next season.
He has already been linked with Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka of Dnipro, Benfica’s Nicolas Gaitan, Switzerland left-back Ricardo Rodriguez and Cardiff City centre-back Steven Caulker.
Henry is also willing to improve the 41-year-old’s £2m-a-year contract but can wait to sit down with Rodgers as he still has 15 months left on his current deal with the club holding a further 12-month option after that.
Rodgers took over from Kenny Dalglish in the summer of 2012 and his side go to Manchester United next Sunday as genuine contenders to  win their first league title since 1989-90.

frracking holy sheiße, that seems too much to believe and I hope we wont do that...i just hate the idea of wholesale shopping in the summer. IMO, it is better to keep the mix of young talent already at the club plus some experience, too many new faces suddenly in the first team doesnt gel together so easily. Not good for the harmony, to say in a different sense. So I think we should go one by one and make this rebuilding process exactly at the current rate, I am almost 90% satisfied with the current buys we had in the past 1-2 windows, although an first team attacking signing could have made us look almost complete for the current season.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:11 pm

HEIL MEIN REDS wrote:frracking holy sheiße, that seems too much to believe and I hope we wont do that...i just hate the idea of wholesale shopping in the summer. IMO, it is better to keep the mix of young talent already at the club plus some experience, too many new faces suddenly in the first team doesnt gel together so easily. Not good for the harmony, to say in a different sense. So I think we should go one by one and make this rebuilding process exactly at the current rate, I am almost 90% satisfied with the current buys we had in the past 1-2 windows, although an first team attacking signing could have made us look almost complete for the current season.
two centre-halves, a left-back, creative midfielder, winger and back-up striker
I don't think that list is all that surprising, really.

Two Centre-halves: Two may be a bit much, but we definitely need at least one. If we lose one of our senior CBs (as several people - myself included - have mentioned here), we may look for another to fill Kolo's role in the squad. With Sakho bought to be a starter, and at least one CB being brought in to compete for a starting spot opposite the Frenchman, first-team football will be at a premium for CBs. Even with the CL, we can really only rotate 4 CBs, and the list will likely be Sakho, a new CB, Kolo (always bought for depth) and one more. Don't forget, we have Ilori (may need another loan) and Wisdom (also a loan candidate) vying for that 4th spot. Unless Skrtel and/or Agger are comfortable with a rotation role, they will likely go. (Even then, their contracts could be an issue.)

A Left Back: Is anyone honestly arguing against this position? Despite your thoughts on Enrique (I'm of the opinion he could be a good squad player, but needs to be upgraded upon), we need at least another body to fill the position. Flannagan is not the answer on the left, and Cissokho will almost certainly return to Valencia following his loan. I think we ideally need an upgrade but at least need another role-player as cover/competition.

Creative Midfielder: The current midfielders all have their roles: (without mentioning the DMs Gerrard and Lucas) Henderson is the engine, Allen the retainer, Coutinho the Spanish #8. However, what we lack is an Oscar-type creative midfielder, a more physical, hard-working, and creative CM. As we've seen this season, one or two injuries can make our options very thin. With the possibility of another high-profile competition next season, we at least need to add to the ranks. Someone like Roberto Firmino or even Ivan Rakitic could make sense in this context, and add a new dimension to our midfield. Suso and Alberto are both potential contenders for this spot, but I'm not confident in either's ability to step up next season. At least one is likely to be loaned, maybe both.

Winger: Attack is obviously our strong point this season, therefore the confusion surrounding our pursuit of another attacker in January had some understandably confused. However, if you assume that Coutinho will be used less on the wings next season, we really only have Sterling, Suarez, and Sturridge as guaranteed First XI-level players. Even with Borini coming back into the squad (and I think he will be very useful in both central and wide roles), we could use another quality option. Konoplyanka looks to be quality, and we may just go back for him in the summer. Antoine Griezmann would be another option, though almost certainly more expensive.

Back-up Striker: Well, this doesn't bode well for Aspas' future, though I can't say he's really earned a reprieve. He's put in a shift with his work-rate and movement. However, his control and distribution have been well below par for what this Liverpool side requires. Let's not even speak of his lack of goal-return... I won't complain if he stays, but we could certainly use an upgrade. (I don't think this requirement is much of a referendum on Borini, as he will most likely be utilized in a wide role more than a central one).

As you can see, 6 additions for a club looking to take on another high-profile competition isn't that unrealistic, especially considering our current lack of squad depth. If we want to make a run in the CL and consolidate our top 4 credentials, we need to improve the squad on multiple levels. In fact, I might even add a RB to the aforementioned list, as I think Johnson could (and possibly) should leave this summer.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:32 am

We were linked to Hinteregger earlier in the season too along with Kampl. I wonder if that still has any legs.

Red Alert wrote:Linked to Fischer for 15m pounds from the Metro.........

Great talent, but not worth it at that price at all.

Came here to post that they were interested in Fischer! Finally! 15m sounds like a lot now, but it will look like a bargain in a few years. Hope that they do get him this summer. He's going to be world-class.

BeautifulGame wrote:Henry prepared to back Rodgers to the hilt if Liverpool secure Champions League spot

Rodgers took over from Kenny Dalglish in the summer of 2012 and his side go to Manchester United next Sunday as genuine contenders to  win their first league title since 1989-90.

Great news. Hope that it turns out to be true.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:36 am

donttreadonred wrote:
HEIL MEIN REDS wrote:frracking holy sheiße, that seems too much to believe and I hope we wont do that...i just hate the idea of wholesale shopping in the summer. IMO, it is better to keep the mix of young talent already at the club plus some experience, too many new faces suddenly in the first team doesnt gel together so easily. Not good for the harmony, to say in a different sense. So I think we should go one by one and make this rebuilding process exactly at the current rate, I am almost 90% satisfied with the current buys we had in the past 1-2 windows, although an first team attacking signing could have made us look almost complete for the current season.
two centre-halves, a left-back, creative midfielder, winger and back-up striker
I don't think that list is all that surprising, really.

Two Centre-halves: Two may be a bit much, but we definitely need at least one. If we lose one of our senior CBs (as several people - myself included - have mentioned here), we may look for another to fill Kolo's role in the squad. With Sakho bought to be a starter, and at least one CB being brought in to compete for a starting spot opposite the Frenchman, first-team football will be at a premium for CBs. Even with the CL, we can really only rotate 4 CBs, and the list will likely be Sakho, a new CB, Kolo (always bought for depth) and one more. Don't forget, we have Ilori (may need another loan) and Wisdom (also a loan candidate) vying for that 4th spot. Unless Skrtel and/or Agger are comfortable with a rotation role, they will likely go. (Even then, their contracts could be an issue.)

A Left Back: Is anyone honestly arguing against this position? Despite your thoughts on Enrique (I'm of the opinion he could be a good squad player, but needs to be upgraded upon), we need at least another body to fill the position. Flannagan is not the answer on the left, and Cissokho will almost certainly return to Valencia following his loan. I think we ideally need an upgrade but at least need another role-player as cover/competition.

Creative Midfielder: The current midfielders all have their roles: (without mentioning the DMs Gerrard and Lucas) Henderson is the engine, Allen the retainer, Coutinho the Spanish #8. However, what we lack is an Oscar-type creative midfielder, a more physical, hard-working, and creative CM. As we've seen this season, one or two injuries can make our options very thin. With the possibility of another high-profile competition next season, we at least need to add to the ranks. Someone like Roberto Firmino or even Ivan Rakitic could make sense in this context, and add a new dimension to our midfield. Suso and Alberto are both potential contenders for this spot, but I'm not confident in either's ability to step up next season. At least one is likely to be loaned, maybe both.

Winger: Attack is obviously our strong point this season, therefore the confusion surrounding our pursuit of another attacker in January had some understandably confused. However, if you assume that Coutinho will be used less on the wings next season, we really only have  Sterling, Suarez, and Sturridge as guaranteed First XI-level players. Even with Borini coming back into the squad (and I think he will be very useful in both central and wide roles), we could use another quality option. Konoplyanka looks to be quality, and we may just go back for him in the summer. Antoine Griezmann would be another option, though almost certainly more expensive.

Back-up Striker: Well, this doesn't bode well for Aspas' future, though I can't say he's really earned a reprieve. He's put in a shift with his work-rate and movement. However, his control and distribution have been well below par for what this Liverpool side requires. Let's not even speak of his lack of goal-return... I won't complain if he stays, but we could certainly use an upgrade. (I don't think this requirement is much of a referendum on Borini, as he will most likely be utilized in a wide role more than a central one).

As you can see, 6 additions for a club looking to take on another high-profile competition isn't that unrealistic, especially considering our current lack of squad depth. If we want to make a run in the CL and consolidate our top 4 credentials, we need to improve the squad on multiple levels. In fact, I might even add a RB to the aforementioned list, as I think Johnson could (and possibly) should leave this summer.
appreciate such a detailed post Thumbs up
What I wish to say is, suppose we have 60m kitty without selling anyone. Our priority should be to make the WC signings and not a single level less than WC. So expecting that WC signing like Kroos or Reus or cost like 30-40m, we will be left with only 20-30m.  So the rest of the money should be spent on another top class LB or whichever the position we feel like we must improve to make that position a at least EPL beater (again I expect this signing to be WC or one of the very good players in Europe) in its class. Well the numbers are immaterial and all I want to say is that we should strategise our signings in such a way that our starting first XI should be as good as any other side in EPL.

CB : Instead of bringing two new CB, I say just sell one and bring another top class CB. We can not just bring a new CB and expect him to perform at the highest level in EPL for us unless we buy someone like Vertonghen or another experienced CB in EPL, who most likely can go straight into our starting XI. So it is better to keep one of Skrtel/Agger at the club, who can perform till the new CB gets enough used to playing for us to give consistent performances. We should definitely give a chance to either Illori or Wisdom, whoever according to BR is ready for some first team action with us. Instead I will definitely send Kelly on loan.

Regarding the other positions, we have some quality players on loan here and there. We all know the names very well. So I will say instead of buying 6 signings, we must concentrate on only 2-3 top priority positions, get WC players to fill in those positions, give chances to the players we already have at the club. Hopefully these players also want to come to us. Actually all this is based on that BR rates Suso, Borini or Aspas and other loanies good enough to be quality back up players for the next season. Looking at recent comments from BR, he is definitely looking to give all these players a chance to prove themselves at the club.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 am

What's the source to the 60m budget?

___

Regarding Reina, the telegraph and the Guardian are both claiming he's set to stay at Napoli for next season on a permanent deal after a buy out clause was inserted into the loan deal. The buy out clause you ask?

A measly 4.1m.

KEEP IN MIND WE'RE PAYING 50% OF HIS WAGES THIS SEASON
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 am

4.1 million for reina, sources?
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:34 am

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/10/pepe-reina-liverpool-return-napoli-loan

Liverpool's Pepe Reina could leave for €5m at end of Napoli loan
• Goalkeeper's release clause set at equivalent of £4.1m
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:38 am

Keep in mind we're paying 2.6m POUNDS of his wages since he's been at Napoli (which is 50%) for the last year.

:facepalm:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:41 am

The good thing is atleast Napoli are interested to sign him.

With his ridiculously high wages he was never going to be sold for anything more than 5mil.So the clause doesnt change much.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:46 am

A measly 4.1m.

4.1+4.7 (to be saved as his wages for last year in contract), sound awesome.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:00 am

That's one way to look at it but not the right way when trying to get rid of a player.

We loaned him out for nothing, but for 50% of his wages because we signed Mignolet and we rushed into getting Reina out of the club asap.

That means WE paid Reina 2.6m wages a year.

Napoli are (potentially) set to sign him for 4.1m now.

Keep in mind he's still considered world class and a top goalkeeper in the world. Rafa still rates him. So we basically waited a YEAR to get rid of him for, wait for it, 1.5m just to get him off the wage bill...... :facepalm:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:06 am

We have saved just as much.

That's a positive INFLOW.

Keep in mind he's still considered world class and a top goalkeeper in the world.
But useless and potential financial black-hole for us.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:25 am

Reina still considered world class and a top goalkeeper in the world rofl

best joke I heard today
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:42 am

Benitez, who managed Reina at Liverpool, took time to praise his goalkeeper, who has kept six clean sheets in his last 11 outings for the San Paolo club.

"The truth is that I know him well," Benitez told his official website. "He has been with us at Liverpool and now here in Naples.

"When you are in excellent physical condition as I think he is now, the excellence shown highlights to me him as one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/benitez-praises-reina-higuain#3YLpgZl72wkAOZJt.99

He's still considered world class from one of the best managers in the world, please go.

iftikhar wrote:
We have saved just as much.

That's a positive INFLOW.

Keep in mind he's still considered world class and a top goalkeeper in the world.
But useless and potential financial black-hole for us.

If we sold him for 4m LAST summer, we would of "saved" 5.2m if that was the case. It doesn't work like that. We're getting rid of him for too much of a low fee.

"Positive INFLOW" or not. We would be paying DOUBLE if we were buying the services of Reina here, we don't learn from our mistakes of buying for high, getting rid for whatever offer comes our way.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:36 am

BeautifulGame wrote:The good thing is atleast Napoli are interested to sign him.

With his ridiculously high wages he was never going to be sold for anything more than 5mil.So the clause doesnt change much.

This, especially the part in red.

I was prepared to be happy even if he left on a free this summer (LFC and him mutually terminated his contract without having to pay him compensation for his remaining wages). If Napoli are ready to pay £4m for him, that's great. Reina is still a good keeper, but goalkeepers - especially on big wages and past 30 - are difficult to move on, to "push out", usually there's someone wanting to pull them out, i.e. buy them and that's when they move, but I don't think there are many clubs at all who would be interested in Reina and Reina interested in them. If we can get £4m from Napoli, bite their hand off.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 am

We might have done better but with the factors Art mentioned, I am little inclined towards that it might be a good deal than it actually appears as of now.

I had always thought Carroll was such a big loss but the poor lad is injured forever since and Sam saved us really :bow:

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:37 am

Just watch this be the same case for Skrtel or Agger when one of them gets sold in the summer.

>We put them on high wages
>We struggle to get rid of them because of their high wages and turn average (keep in mind they both signed new contracts since Rodgers has been manager, so the contracts given were given fairly recent)
>We'll get rid of them for a "low fee" or whatever offer comes our way just to get them off the wage bill to "save" on wages.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:21 am

Red Alert wrote:Just watch this be the same case for Skrtel or Agger when one of them gets sold in the summer.

>We put them on high wages
>We struggle to get rid of them because of their high wages and turn average (keep in mind they both signed new contracts since Rodgers has been manager, so the contracts given were given fairly recent)
>We'll get rid of them for a "low fee" or whatever offer comes our way just to get them off the wage bill to "save" on wages.

Both Skrtel and Agger will be easier to sell than Reina. They are slightly younger, they are outfield players and their status probably isn't as big as Reina's (on paper). I could very well see Skrtel or Agger join a CL-challenging club in Germany or Italy or Spain or why not, say, Newcastle in England. As for Reina, no. Clubs don't buy goalkeepers very often and there's no similar need for depth as in outfield players.

But perhaps even more importantly: Why do you consider it bad to sell unneeded, nearing-30-years-old players for low fees? Saving wages is important, a too big wage bill cripples a club. And when you're looking to sell a player that always, understandably, lowers your bargaining power. It's unrealistic to expect to receive big fees for not-so-young-anymore players when the main reason they're on the move is you trying to get rid of them. The other, big fee option is to sell them earlier and when they are in demand, like selling Agger to Manchester City a couple of summers back when they were interested in him. Would we've been happy to sell him then? No. Would we received a big fee? Yes. Would we be happy to sell him now? Maybe yeah. Would we receive a big fee? Probably not. That's how the equation goes in most cases and there's nothing wrong with that.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 am

I don't think you understood my point / pov.

We waited a YEAR to get rid of Reina for ONE AND A HALF million pounds. That's nothing. We could of got rid of him LAST SUMMER on a permanent deal instead of waiting a year to loan him out for a 1.5m inflow; which is pretty much nothing. I think my opinion on Reina is well known in this section, but he's worth a lot more than that.

In regards to Agger/Skrtel, we'll pretty much accept any offer that comes our way and let them go below their initial market value too.

We rush into getting rid of players, and are reluctant to let them go for a low fee, and then we overspend to get the replacement / player we want in.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 43 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24 ... 43  Next