McAgger
The Nature Boy
dmize
The Franchise
LeSwagg James
33 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

the official Dwayne Wade <<<<<< you thread - Page 32 Empty Re: the official Dwayne Wade <<<<<< you thread

Post by dmize Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:26 pm

The Franchise wrote:and im not convinced he is he is a willing learner anyway.

He complained about playing pick and roll with D'Antoni...will he do the same again? Because putting him in the low block and trying to win the game from their will do no good and Harden and especially Lin need someone setting real picks.

I am glad we landed a impact player and I am glad we are not stuck in that 8th place limbo we are usually in but Howard is not my kind of player at all.

James Harden is still our best player in my eyes.

The 1st part, I agree. He said he wanted to work with Kareem when he got to L.A... never called him back. At this point he is what he is, it'd be great if he developed a consistent post move, but I wouldn't count on it.

A great, great read by Bill Simmons on Howard from back in May: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9308573/searching-dwight-howard

Houston won't win their first year obviously, but with Parsons developing, if they fill in the team with good fits, and depending on what happens in 2014 FA with Bron... they could win a title in a few seasons.

This upcoming season I see another OKC vs Miami rematch.

dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

the official Dwayne Wade <<<<<< you thread - Page 32 Empty Re: the official Dwayne Wade <<<<<< you thread

Post by The Franchise Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I wont go championship aspirations, the West is just so tough...and the East looking to go the same way I guess with the Nets, Rose and Granger back. But yeah, some good pieces I will go contender.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 pm

This upcoming season is shaping up to be one of the most competitive in a while IMO. Yes, the bad teams will be really bad for that tank but

Miami
OKC
Brooklyn
Indiana
San Antonio
Chicago
LA Clippers
Houston
Golden State
Memphis
NY Knicks
Denver
New Orleans
Detroit
Minnesota
Toronto
Cleveland
Washington
even the effin' Bobcats have a chance at the playoffs.

Tank teams:
Philadelphia
Utah
Orlando
Atlanta
Phoenix

Sacramento, Milwaukee, LA Lakers, Portland(unless they trade LMA), Dallas and Boston are kind of in limbo.

Right now with Boston I'm not sure if we're bad enough to get a top 3 pick. Rondo, Jeff Green, Bradley, Marshon Brooks, Humphries, Gerald Wallace. We at least need to get rid of Humphries. Wallace too, but we would have to throw in a asset/pick to get someone to take him.

Rondo I'm on the fence about... there's been trade talks. Ideally I want him to miss most of the season, the rest of the team suck and we get a shot at Wiggins/Parker to pair with him. That's unlikely though. If we do trade him I want at the very least Monroe + a pick.

Detroit offered Knight + Stuckey/Villanueva for Rondo rofl
They also offered Stuckey and Villanueva for Rudy Gay. They're like that kid in fantasy/2k13 that tries to trade their 3 role players for your superstar.

Last edited by dmize on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 pm

I agree, really packed out with teams who improved at least on paper.

I guess injuries will rout out the teams that seperate themselves, aswell as how well the coaches can fit the pieces.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:51 pm

The Franchise wrote:
McAgger wrote:Yo Dani how do you like the moves my Warriors have been making?

You got AI2 and who else?

You lost Landry and Jack, anyone else?

Want to make sure im up to date before I comment.

Lost Jack and Landry

Got Iggy, Marreese Speights, Toney Douglas, and Jermaine O'Neal

Don't know how I feel about Douglas or ONeal but I'm very excited by Iggy and Speights. Plus Klay, Barnes and Curry are a year older and hopefully better. Bogut and Lee should be fit.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Toronto will be apalled to hear they're in contention for a playoff spot lol. They're definitely hoping to tank.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 pm

I don't see any way they can tank without trading Rudy

Lowry/Augustine
DeRozan/Ross
Rudy Gay/Novak/Fields
Valanciunas
Amir Johnson?

With the improvement of Val, they should compete for one of the last spots.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:28 am

McAgger wrote:
The Franchise wrote:
McAgger wrote:Yo Dani how do you like the moves my Warriors have been making?

You got AI2 and who else?

You lost Landry and Jack, anyone else?

Want to make sure im up to date before I comment.

Lost Jack and Landry

Got Iggy, Marreese Speights, Toney Douglas, and Jermaine O'Neal

Don't know how I feel about Douglas or ONeal but I'm very excited by Iggy and Speights. Plus Klay, Barnes and Curry are a year older and hopefully better. Bogut and Lee should be fit.

Yeah I like the moves.

To me, O Neal is like insurance when Bogut goes down. Bogut will go down and when he does its good to have a similar player (defence minded shot changer/blocker) who can come right in, plus if it happened in the playoffs he has experience. Ezeli is out for 9 months so I think its a good move.

Jack would of been a loss because he can defend wings and allow Curry that rest, while being a secondary ball handler. Iggy can do that, only he can defend the wings much much better and even take some forwards. I love that pick up, especially because he can run and has improved from the 3 point line to go along with it.

Landry will be a loss, he comes off the bench, bangs, draws fouls and gets offensive rebounds. Speights is a talent, but has a bad rep for not doing the hustle stuff...I think how well he replaces Landry will be important.

I assume Douglas is nothing more than back up point who wont get off the bench when its important.

I also really like the look of that Bazemore guy.

Bogut, Lee, Barnes, Klay and Curry with Iggy playing the end of games with Lee sitting out to me is real, real dangerous.

I can imagine the line up possibilities too, Lee at center for Bogut with Iggy in, going small with Barnes at the 4.

Top 4 in the West I feel, maybe 3rd.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:06 am

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/wiggins-says-he-wants-to-be-a-toronto-raptor/

Do you think the NBA would do for Toronto what they did for Cleveland and Chicago for Bron and Rose?
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:16 am

Depends, maybe if the Raps are one of the worst 5 teams in the league or something like that... Personally I don't think they rig the draft but that's my opinion

Wiggins on the Raps would be the best possible outcome for sure, a contending Canadian team would do wonders for the league

Btw I just got a trial of ESPN's insider so I may flood this thread for a bit for others that don't have it.. I felt neglected trying to read some of their articles that you had to pay for Laughing 
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:19 am

Comparing Wiggins to LeBron
Breaking down the high school games of both former No. 1 recruits

By Paul Biancardi | ESPN Insider

From my time as an assistant coach at Ohio State, I had the opportunity to evaluate LeBron James at St. Vincent/St. Mary High School in nearby Akron. Watching him for his first two seasons in high school and over the summers, it was obvious he was headed for stardom.

In the fall of his junior season, we were playing in the Maui Invitational where dozens of NBA scouts and executives always show up to evaluate. I was in a discussion with one NBA scout who gave me some very good advice upon his evaluation of James:

"Stop sending him mail," he said. "You are wasting your postage budget." At that time, sending mail was a big part of the recruiting process.

"And don't waste your gas money, either. He is coming right to the league."

James finished his senior season as the consensus No. 1 player in a strong high school class. The NBA scout was right, and the rest was history considering James went on to become the top pick in the 2003 draft, won an NBA championship and is now known as the world's best player. Fast-forward to now.

Over the past few years I have witnessed the emergence of Andrew Wiggins, ESPN's No. 1 ranked player in the class of 2013, who is headed to Kansas. Originally labeled as the top player in 2014, he decided to reclassify back into his original class and leapfrogged the entire group. That shows his potential. It's likely he'll be the No. 1 pick in the 2014 draft, just as LeBron was in 2003.

Their paths are clearly similar. But who was better coming from high school and why? Let's take a look at how Wiggins stacks up to James.
--------------------------------------------
Athletic ability

James: He was a powerful athlete with elite-level speed and size. His ability to convert at a moment's notice and run with effort was noticeable and impressive. James was a quick vertical jumper who could bounce off of two feet or just one foot, with dazzling hang time and body control. Though he was naturally stronger than most, it was his sheer overall power that made him a special athlete.

James imposed his power on both ends of the floor to try to dominate the game, from a thunderous dunk in traffic to an erasing blocked shot on defense.

Wiggins: When you watch Wiggins compete from an athletic point of view, the best word to describe his outstanding athletic ability is "explosive." His vertical jump is unique, especially from a two-feet takeoff -- think Dominique Wilkins -- but it's his second jump that is uncommon. Wiggins can get off the ground for a second jump when most great athletes are still on their way down.

His blazing speed going north-to-south in a possession and quick lateral movements allow him to cover ground fast. Wiggins used his athleticism, but not as much as he could have or should have, to have an impact on a game.

Edge: James :coffee: 

Passing

James: He was one of the most creative passers I have ever seen from the high school ranks. James had extraordinary vision to not only make the extra pass, he could create an assist the longer he held the ball in his hands. He was a true facilitator throughout the entire game, doing everything he could to help his team win. I haven't seen a player at that size pass so effectively and efficiently from a triple-threat position, in transition or off the bounce, since Magic Johnson.

Wiggins: For someone who is mostly known as a tremendous athlete and scorer, Wiggins is a willing passer. Right now he can't see the assists unless it's obvious, because it's not on his mind as much as it was with James. He is unselfish and will give it up when his vision allows him to find an open teammate for a better shot, and he is pretty accurate with his delivery.

Scoring

James: He was a dominating scorer at times, but his scoring average does not reflect his true offensive ability, because he was often helping his teammates score. His versatility and high basketball IQ enabled him to play and score from all five positions, making him a dangerous offensive player. James did not hunt down his shot very often. He would rather have a triple-double than 30 points. However, when he did try to score, the result was usually a basket or a trip to the free throw line.

Wiggins: Wiggins can be found affecting the game inside the elbows, from the foul line down and at the free throw line. He scores best from his explosive moves jumping over or around a defender, and also by way of a hard drive to the rim and from short jumpers. A one-positional player, you know the area where he is going to score from. The hard part is actually stopping him.

Shooting

James: James struggled with his jumper throughout his high school career and sometimes his best shot was a miss, considering he would hit the offensive glass and chase it down. His shot was not mechanically sound, as he would not shoot it the same way every time. This factored into his consistency and range. James was a capable shooter from inside the arc and a streaky-to-poor shooter behind it.

Wiggins: This is not a strength of either player, as Wiggins was also erratic during his high school career, but his shot was a bit more polished from the perimeter. When he would run off of baseline screens or wide pin-downs, Wiggins was very good at curling into his shot or even better at a rhythm dribble pull-up inside the arc. His long-range shot needs polish and is inconsistent, however he's capable from deep. He would knock one down a bit more often than James.

Edge: Wiggins
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:21 am

How good is Andrew Wiggins?
What the No. 1 recruit brings to Kansas and how he projects in the NBA
Updated: July 17, 2013, 3:13 PM ET
By Fran Fraschilla, Jeff Goodman, Dave Telep | ESPN Insider

One Player, Three Ways

Dave Telep, Jeff Goodman and Fran Fraschilla break down the top incoming freshmen in college basketball.

• Andrew Harrison, Kentucky
• Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
• Julius Randle, Kentucky
• Jabari Parker, Duke
• Aaron Gordon, Arizona

Although the college basketball season is still months away, we're at the point now when most incoming freshmen are on campus and working with their new programs. With that in mind, Insider's experts are teaming up this week for the "One Player, Three Ways" series, looking at the top five recruits from the 2013 class in terms of (A) how they stacked up as high school players, (B) how they'll fit with their college teams and (C) how they project as NBA prospects for the 2014 draft.

We continue today with Kansas small forward Andrew Wiggins.

Part 1: Who he is, how he's gotten here

Dave Telep: This is a first for me. We may be staring at genetic perfection. Wiggins is the son of an Olympic sprinter and a former NBA player. That's the Olympus of genetic attributes. The high school career of this Canadian standout was a ride through Toronto and Creedmoor, N.C., culminating in a stint with Huntington Prep. Wiggins was named the national high school player of the year; the award in my mind was given to him both because of his outstanding senior season and because of who he's likely to become.

This is not the best prospect since LeBron James, as he has been billed. We tend to forget about Dwight Howard, Greg Oden and Kevin Durant. Wiggins is, however, in the next cut. From purely an athletic standpoint, the kid has few, if any, peers. His game is predicated on being able to elevate, burst by his defender and use his extraordinary length and wingspan to his advantage. As a high school player, Wiggins destroyed foes at the rim. He got there using uncommon fast-twitch muscles and then elevating for kiss-the-rim finishes. He's in his own class in terms of explosiveness. Whether it's coast-to-coast or exploding off the dribble, Wiggins has the hammer and knows how to use it.

As a perimeter player, he has great potential. He's a good shooter already from deep. His best work has been in the midrange, and he thrives from the elbow. The big thing here is that he's inconsistent with his release point, yet he always elevates into his shot. Given his athletic ability and untapped potential, there's reason to believe -- as there was with James -- that his perimeter game will explode in time.

Where Wiggins could make the single biggest gain is at the defensive end, where he has the ability to lock down forwards. We saw this in full bloom in the postseason when he made life tough for Jabari Parker.

Wiggins is such a good athlete that other attributes tend to get overlooked. For instance, when he dove to the block, his spin move was unguardable at the high school level. The passing ability is most certainly there. If there's a single area that needs to be addressed, it's in his mental makeup. Wiggins is competitive, but hasn't sharpened his finishing instincts. He's more of a great prospect than great player in that sense. Those who have watched him grow know that there's a level of mental commitment and game-ending instincts that haven't yet developed. We want to see this guy become the hammer at the end of games. When that happens we'll be talking about a complete small forward.

Part 2: How he fits his college team

Jeff Goodman: Wiggins will be expected to dominate every game, becoming the star who leads Kansas to the Final Four and maybe even the national title.

But that may be an unreasonable task for the ultratalented 6-foot-8 small forward -- despite the fact that he comes into college with more hype than just about anyone in the past decade.

Wiggins will be a star. There's no doubting that. However, he won't have to carry this Jayhawks team as some believe. Bill Self has plenty of other pieces -- from Perry Ellis to Wayne Selden to one of the most talented big men in the country in freshman Joel Embiid. There's enough that Wiggins will be able to grow into his role.

Wiggins will produce. Don't get me wrong. He'll have flashes in which the NBA scouts will salivate at his potential. The length, the quickness and athleticism, the ability to run the court with ease and finish with authority.

He'll start at the small forward spot, and the safe bet is he averages about 15 points per game. His perimeter shot will almost certainly be erratic, but that's the primary hole in his game. He can put the ball on the floor, can explode to the basket, rebounds well and defends multiple positions.

The most legitimate question concerning Wiggins doesn't even involve the physical aspect of the game. It's how he'll handle the pressure of playing in the fishbowl of Lawrence, Kan. Wiggins is laid-back -- even shy -- and was protected by those around him throughout the recruiting process. Now he'll be thrust into the spotlight, and it'll be interesting to observe his mental toughness, especially when he struggles.

There are some who have questioned his motor, and while there have been times he has coasted, Self is one of the master motivators in the country and should help bring out the best of Wiggins.

Wiggins isn't LeBron. He won't put up the gaudy numbers that Kevin Durant (25.8 points, 11 rebounds per game) did in his lone season at Texas. He'll be inconsistent at times, and it may take him time to grow into the alpha dog role, but once he does, it'll be clear why just about everyone who has seen Wiggins has him pegged for stardom -- at the college level and beyond.

Part 3: How he projects to the NBA

Fran Fraschilla: Wiggins is the presumptive No. 1 pick in the 2014 NBA draft and is considered, possibly, the best high school prospect since James.

While Wiggins' athleticism is extraordinary, even for an NBA prospect, it's hard to imagine he will have the impact that James or even Durant has had in the NBA. But even comparing him to two future Hall of Fame players gives you an idea of the expectations that lie ahead for him.

Wiggins reminds me of the legendary David Thompson or Dominique Wilkins because of his unique jumping ability. His energetic dunks take a backseat to no one's. In addition, he's an explosive "second jumper," getting off his feet twice before most players can leave the ground once. Rest assured that Kansas' Bill Self has been diagramming a lot of lob plays for him.

While Wiggins handles the ball well for a player 6-foot-8, his athletic ability is ahead of his skill level. He does not handle the ball like James did at the same stage and doesn't play with James' brute force. But it does not keep him from getting to the basket at will.

In addition, Wiggins has proved to be an unselfish player for someone of his enormous ability. He has a very good feel for the game and very rarely forces tough shots or makes poor decisions with the ball.

If there is a major avenue of improvement for Wiggins, it is in his outside shooting. His form is not broken, but it is inconsistent and, as a result, is not yet accurate on a regular basis. With his frame, he won't be banging with big bodies in the lane in the NBA on a consistent basis and improved shooting will complement his already considerable skills.

While there's a lot to love about Wiggins from an NBA standpoint, I don't believe the gap between him and Julius Randle or even the 6-foot-5 Australian sensation, Dante Exum, is as large as many believe. He's the favorite to be the first pick next June, but he still has work to do to be the No. 1 pick.
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:22 am

Is Jabari Parker a future star?
How No. 2 recruit will perform for Duke, and how he projects to NBA
Updated: July 17, 2013, 11:47 AM ET

Although the college basketball season is still months away, we're at the point now when most incoming freshmen are on campus and working with their new programs. With that in mind, Insider's experts are teaming up this week for the "One Player, Three Ways" series, looking at the top five recruits from the 2013 class in terms of (A) how they stacked up as high school players, (B) how they'll fit with their college teams and (C) how they project as NBA prospects for the 2014 draft.

We continue today with Duke power forward Jabari Parker.

Dave Telep: Parker's final year of high school basketball ended with a fourth consecutive state championship, but the ride was rockier than you'd expect for an elite player. Parker injured his foot during the summer leading into his senior year during a stint with USA Basketball. The injury left him rusty and out of shape into December of his final season.

During an ESPNU game in December, Parker was clearly behind and too heavy. In three weeks, he would go on to shed upward of 20 pounds, remake his body and return close to his junior-season form. Parker, the son of a former NBA player, has always had trouble with his conditioning. More than any other player in his class, his shape, stature and athleticism yo-yoed during high school. By the time the all-star games rolled around, Parker had played the rust off and was close to his correct playing weight and condition.

Basketball-wise, this is one of the more competitive players in the class. His makeup is that of a committed, religious and hardworking winner. He's the guy who sets the tone in practice and assumes leadership in games. This is a player wired to be the go-to performer. His attitude of selfless play on the court promotes unity.

He's a true combo forward. His perimeter stroke, depending on the season, rode the roller coaster. He can be streaky behind the arc but often is superb in the midrange and from the baselines. He can shoot facing the bucket or off the pro-style fades. He's more of an opportunity attacker than a dedicated performer in that regard.

In the lane, Parker is a dual threat to score or pass. His basketball brain and feel for the game make him the ideal player to run offense through. He will seek out matchups in the post that favor him and is excellent with his touch and feel in the lane. Most don't regard him as an elite athlete, and he's not from a vertical standpoint, but he will sneak in for tip dunks and surprise with his ability to go straight up and dunk.

What's unique about Parker is his ability to play either in the post or on the perimeter. He doesn't seem to truly favor either one and is more into exploiting matchups than having a go-to move, and he isn't married to attacking from a particular spot on the floor. Defensively, as a high school player, he guarded a lot of bigs. He's capable of slowing down small forwards, but the high-high-level athletes can give him trouble. For example, Andrew Wiggins was a tough guard for him, and Wiggins' athleticism and length also gave Parker trouble in the lane.

Where the separation between Parker and his contemporaries occurs is in the way he sees the game, thinks it and executes. Between the lines, it's about winning. He loves the preparation and is aware of his shortcomings, taking measures to turn weaknesses into strengths. This is a reliable player who can be a pillar for a team. He'll lead not with words but with actions.

Jeff Goodman: Mike Krzyzewski will expect Parker to do a little -- no, make that a lot -- of everything this season for Duke. And the skilled 6-foot-8 forward will be up to the task.

Many forget that Parker was at one time the top-rated player in the 2013 class, before the foot injury that sidelined him a summer ago and prior to Andrew Wiggins' reclassifying from 2014.

Parker can do just about anything. He's not an exceptional athlete, but he can score in a variety of ways. He will be able to make shots from the perimeter, he can put the ball on the floor and also score in the paint. But that's just one aspect where he'll help Duke become a Final Four contender in 2013-14.

Parker is also able to make those around him better with his ability to pass the ball. He's unselfish, sometimes too unselfish. He's got an extremely high basketball IQ, and that will help take some of the pressure off semi-enigmatic point guard Quinn Cook. He will also be part of arguably the best perimeter trio in the country with Mississippi State transfer Rodney Hood and Rasheed Sulaimon.

Duke doesn't possess a legitimate big man -- at least not one who is proven. That means the Blue Devils will play small often, and that also means Parker will see time in the middle. It shouldn't be much of an issue against most big men, but it's going to be interesting to see if he can become a relentless rebounder and interior defender, because that's what the Blue Devils may need from him more than anything else.

Parker has the complete package. That's what college coaches have been salivating about for the last few years. He knows how to play. He can score, pass, rebound and defend his position. And he'll do them all in Durham this season.

Fran Fraschilla: Parker has had a storied career to this point, winning four consecutive Illinois Class 4A state championships and already adorning the cover of Sports Illustrated. Yet people who follow the NBA are already finding flaws in his game.

Parker is not seen as being as athletic as Wiggins, Aaron Gordon or Julius Randle, but at 6-8, he has a complete NBA small forward's skill set and enough athleticism to hold his own on a nightly basis in the league, in my opinion.

In Parker's favor will be Krzyzewski's success at Duke with developing multiskilled forwards who have gone on to productive NBA careers. Though not exactly the same style, Parker will have the opportunity to have the same success that former Blue Devils like Grant Hill, Luol Deng and Shane Battier have had.

Parker is an excellent shooter, both off the catch and off the dribble. In addition, his perimeter footwork is excellent, and he has mastered the step-back move to create separation for his jump shot. He has deceiving first-step quickness that will allow him to get to the basket in isolation situations.

In addition, Parker can handle the ball well, especially in the open court, and makes good decisions with the ball. He passes the ball well, and his ball-moving ability will be a strength on an NBA team that values team play and chemistry. In that regard, Parker has a chance to be a very good "blend player."

I do believe that his average foot speed at his position in the NBA will be a negative factor for him defensively, but he would not be alone in that area in the league. Good team defense and coaching can protect him in that regard.

It would not surprise me if Parker, who most assume will declare for the NBA draft, is the one player at the top of the 2013 recruiting class who pulls a Marcus Smart and decides to stay two seasons at Duke. I don't think that decision would affect his status as a top-five selection in either draft. In fact, it would add to his uncommon maturity and further increase the odds of him being a successful NBA player.
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:23 am

What future holds for Julius Randle
What star freshman will bring to Kentucky, and how he projects to NBA
Updated: July 17, 2013, 11:51 AM ET

Although the college basketball season is still months away, we're at the point now when most incoming freshmen are on campus and working with their new program. With that in mind, Insider's experts are teaming up this week for the "One Player, Three Ways" series, looking at the top five recruits from the 2013 class in terms of (A) how they stacked up as high school players, (B) how they'll fit with their college teams and (C) how they project as NBA prospects for the 2014 draft.

We begin today with Kentucky power forward Julius Randle.

Dave Telep: As a high school senior, Randle broke the fifth metatarsal bone in his right foot and missed most of his senior season. He returned to lead his team to the state championship and in time for the postseason all-star games. Outside of the injury, there was no way to slow down high school basketball's version of a runaway freight train.

Randle's game is a combination of power, athleticism and determination in the paint. When he's motoring inside, the lefty's game is about going in straight lines, and taking the shortest and quickest route to the basket is preferable. He can catch on the blocks but prefers to face and attack. He's not one to shy from contact and has been prone to committing charges. One of the areas for improvement is that he'll need to learn when to slow down because he tends to catch and get quickly into his move without reading the defense. He could use a pull-up midrange jumper.

As a perimeter player, Randle is prone to flattening out his shot. However, he's a legitimate threat and has proved himself to be a good passer from the high post. More than anything, Randle is a power forward who relishes scoring and assumes the alpha dog responsibilities for his team. Comfortable shouldering the load, he sees himself as the team's primary scorer and rebounder.

A hallmark of Randle's game is his consistent motor. Regardless of the result, Randle is a proven commodity in terms of effort. He does not take games off and holds himself accountable when he doesn't meet his own standards. He was mentored by former Oklahoma standout Jeff Webster.

Jeff Goodman: A well-built, 6-foot-9, 240-pound power forward, Randle can be a dominant force for John Calipari at Kentucky next season -- when he wants to be.

Randle does have versatility, but he's a load down on the blocks, and, if Calipari is able to convince him that few can stop him in the paint (and limit his time roaming the perimeter, as he has a tendency to do), he could wind up being Kentucky's most dominant and productive player. In fact, he could wind up becoming one of the most productive players in the country despite the fact he'll be on a loaded team with as many as seven other potential first-round draft picks. There are those who have criticized Randle for taking plays off, not playing as hard as he did a couple of seasons ago, but he still has a high motor the majority of the time. I think he'll thrive in Calipari's system.

The Wildcats have a ton of talent heading into the 2013-14 season, but there are also questions for this team. Who will start in the middle between Willie Cauley-Stein and Dakari Johnson? Who will play on the wing between James Young and Aaron Harrison? Will Andrew Harrison be able to keep everyone content from the point guard spot? However, one of the questions won't be "Who will get the majority of the time at power forward?" That'll be Randle.

Look for him to be a force on the glass with his size, strength and athleticism, and to lead UK in rebounding. He'll be able to score in the post and step out a bit as well as to finish with authority in transition. Randle is also an effective player on the defensive end with good lateral quickness and strength.

Don't be surprised if Randle quickly emerges as UK's most productive player -- and its leader.

Fran Fraschilla: If there is one player in the country who could make a run at Andrew Wiggins as the first pick in the 2014 NBA draft, it's Randle.

At 6-9 and nearly 250 pounds, Randle has the physical gifts that scream "future NBA All-Star." He has a prototype NBA power forward body, in addition to above-average NBA athleticism at that position. And as a bonus, he plays with the requisite intensity to match those gifts.

Randle plays with an attacking mentality, around the basket and in the open court. He loves to handle the basketball, which comes in handy as a "rip and run" big man on the defensive glass. He actually has an excellent feel for passing on the break.

In the half court, Randle, a predominantly left-handed player, is best right now when he posts up off the lane and uses his quickness and agility to get to the basket. He also has a reasonably good shooting touch in the midrange, although he hasn't needed it to this point in his career.

Where Randle can improve is in his low-post game. His overwhelming athletic ability has carried him to this point in his career, and he's been an effective low-post scorer as a result, but he'll need to improve his skills in this area as he begins what is likely to be his one-and-done season in Lexington.

Because of Randle's versatility, he also has a tendency to play the game from the outside in at times, instead of from the inside out. He wants to show off the perimeter skills that are uncommon for a player his size. Those strengths likely will be put to good use by an NBA coach who will isolate him in different areas of the floor but likely won't be used as much at Kentucky.

Ultimately, however, Randle will want to punish NBA opponents with his incredible combination of size, strength and quickness around the basket. One thing to remember: He is just a baby right now, and won't turn 19 until late November. Just wait until he grows up.
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:24 am

I'll stop there, those are the top 3 prospects imo, Randle impressed me the most in the High School All-Star games..
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:35 am

Did the Raptors like trade Rudy and Valanciunas and I'm just not aware yet? Why else would they be talked about as a tanking team?

No T.O. won't get Wiggins. Right now Philly looks like they'll be incredibly bad. Worst team usually doesn't get it though; Phoenix, Utah, wouldn't surprise me. I still think Charlotte even with the Al Jeff/Zeller frontcourt additions. Charlotte Hornets coming back is the perfect storyline for them to land Wiggins besides Toronto(and the Celtics :coffee:)

and yeah definitely post all NBA related Insider articles in here. Particularly any of the Coach Thorpe articles.
Edit: ^ Saw them gonna give them a read tomorrow
Edit2: read first article. Nice read but no real comparison there. It's not close. He is a better shooter but only by a little bit, but the difference is Wiggins has a better stroke at the same age as LeBron. Smooth, high release.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:56 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/19/rick-barry-says-ray-allen-traveled-on-critical-game-6-three/

lol at this tool trying to take something away from Ray Allen's shot. There was no travel. I actually researched this for like an hour when it happened cause I saw a couple Spurs fanboys say it on YT.

The article explains why it's not a travel. RIck Barry's dumbass assumed that when he caught the ball in the air(no feet on the ground yet), that the first foot to land is your pivot and you can't change. Wrong.

Even before the rule change it wasn't a travel:
"b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball."

The first count occurs:
"(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second count occurs:
"(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously."

That's 2 counts, however, his left foot became his pivot foot(rear foot), not his right foot, and that's what he used:
"d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot."

That's before rule change which made it more clear. Not a travel, never was, never will be. This irrelevant granny shooter trying to get a headline.

Odd he didn't mention:
-Ginobili traveled on that drive on Ray Allen(which everyone says he hacked him, I personally think he got a lot of ball)
-Duncan substituted illegally
-Spurs called a timeout when they had none
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:56 pm

If those midrange shots are a preview of 5+ years from now :shock:The drop step dunk, the spinning right handed hook, an 18 footer. He's already improving offensively, and he hasn't even worked with Hakeem yet this summer.

---------------

A couple thoughts on those prospect articles. Their top 5 is a little different than mine:
1. Wiggins
2. Randle
3. Parker
4. Smart
5. Gordon(may be as athletic as Blake but rest of his game is a work in progress, even more so than BG)
6. Dante Exum
7. Andrew Harrison
I may have Harrison too low, but right now Smart is more proven having played a season in college, and I like Exum a little more.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Get that beast out the summer league, it just aint fair Laughing
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--lebron-james--team-usa-career-likely-over-232618301.html

LAS VEGAS – LeBron James' days of playing for Team USA have likely ended.

James, 28, will not play for USA Basketball during the 2014 world championships in Spain and is doubtful to participate in the 2016 Olympics in Brazil, a source close to the Miami Heat forward told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday. USA Basketball executive director Jerry Colangelo also confirmed to Yahoo! Sports he doesn't expect James to play next summer – and doesn't plan to ask him.

:hmm:He'll be 31 at the 2016 Olympics, and still in his prime, but he probably wants the rest at this point.

But Wade will be 34, Kobe 37, Bosh 32/33, CP3 31/32, Howard 31 and probably broken down. Maybe Melo plays but for now I'm gonna assume those guys are out.

Obv real early to see how 2016 Team USA will look but:

Rose/Irving/Curry
Westbrook/Harden
Durant/Paul George
Love/A.Davis/Griffin
Cousins/Drummond

Durant, Rose and Westbrooks' team.

George will become the backup SF.

Without Melo, Kobe, we'll need the 3pt shooting of Irving and Curry. I want Westbrook starting at 2guard though, he played great in that role at the London games. Harden was underwhelming for the most part but as the best legit 2guard we'll need him.

At center Cousins will probably start if he's matured by then and is capable of being a decent teammate. Brook Lopez would be in the mix as well but I'd rather have Cousins/Drummond than Cousins/Lopez. Maybe bias but I feel Drummond is more along the lines of what USA needs from it's C. Chandler/Howard role.

At PF, Love but maybe Davis is starting by then. Also would prefer a PF other than Griffin but oh well. I bet Monroe will be better but Griffins popularity will keep him on. Longshot would be Julius Randle, who could be a beast by then.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:50 am

Already has more range than his pops the official Dwayne Wade <<<<<< you thread - Page 32 Rsz_lebrontrollface
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Wade's son selfish as hell lol

But yeah, that team US group with be intresting.

I dont think a Cousins and Love pairing protect the rim all that well and dont make up for it with speed..if anything it may make them a little plodding as a team. But it will be intresting.

I would rather see Durant up to the 4, Love at the 5 with Drummond behind him and Harden or George at the 3 depending on how George grows. Defensively he is miles ahead of Harden, shoots it as well and has great size..you would think if they do that pressing and trapping game he would be a better fit. Curry gotta make it, he shoots 3's likes 2's in the NBA, international 3's will be like free throws...him, Uncle Drew and one of Harden/George off the bench is filthy.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:51 pm

The Franchise wrote:Wade's son selfish as hell lol

But yeah, that team US group with be intresting.

I dont think a Cousins and Love pairing protect the rim all that well and dont make up for it with speed..if anything it may make them a little plodding as a team. But it will be intresting.

I would rather see Durant up to the 4, Love at the 5 with Drummond behind him and Harden or George at the 3 depending on how George grows. Defensively he is miles ahead of Harden, shoots it as well and has great size..you would think if they do that pressing and trapping game he would be a better fit. Curry gotta make it, he shoots 3's likes 2's in the NBA, international 3's will be like free throws...him, Uncle Drew and one of Harden/George off the bench is filthy.

Cousins certainly has the size but he's not a great post defender. And I'm still not 100% sold that he would be a great addition, right now he's a great talent, bad teammate. And yeah Durant's definitely gonna see a lot of time at the 4 as he should. Durant/Love is all offense but that's basically what Love/Cousins is as well, just way worse and with less spacing. If they can start George/Durant that would be the way to go.

Should still win Gold with that team.

Canada will probably have their best team ever:

Cory Joseph/Kabongo/Pangos
Stauskas?/Andy Rautins?(had no idea he was even Canadian)
Wiggins/Kris Joseph?/Denham "111 points" Brown?
Thompson/Bennett/Nicholson
Olynyk/Wiltjer/Bhullar(7'5 360 lb center for NM St.)

Frontcourt should be good, but the backcourt is pretty bad.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 pm

I love Cousins ability as on offensive player, when he takes good shots..but Sacremento give up so many points in the paint it just doesnt reflect well on a near 7 foot 280 guy like him.

I agree, Durant and Love dont pose much defensive capability either...but Durant is still long and is a dangerous shot blocker at times..and as we both agree, Cousins is no upgrade on that.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:09 am

Caught most of the Blue-White USA scrimmage..

Kyrie was ridiculous, best player on the floor no doubt, 23 points 7 assists. Davis had a nice game with 22 points. Cousins only had like 6 pts and didn't play much probably because he pouted whenever he didnt get the ball Laughing John Wall was nice, but also had some silent  moments. Monroe looked great had a couple nice defensive plays surprisingly, he had 10 & 6. Drummond had 13 & 6. Paul George struggled but that's irrelevant, he's a lock at this point.

I don't know why its so hard for Cousins not to act like a headcase even in a scrimmage. I also have to lol at the fact earlier this week he said no other big man was close to him and then gets outplayed by 3 of them.

edit:
Why the hell did Dion Waiters get an invite, he was dreadful. To sum up his overall game in a smiley: :facepalm:
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:36 pm

Pacers picked up Scola for Gerald Green and a pick.

Bird showing Jordan how it's done in retirement :bow:

Should they deal Granger? I don't think it's clearcut. I don't know what they can get that will be more valuable to them than he is. He's expiring anyway.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next