Swanhends
Amar
dmize
15 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Official MLB Thread

Post by dmize Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:14 am

Boring? The same is said about football. And of course anyone who knows football would say that's BS, and it's the same with baseball. Seeing a nasty pitching performance is almost as exciting as seeing a 15-14 shoot out. Seeing the strategy that goes into every at bat is entertaining in itself.

Not to mention squaring up a round ball with a round bat at 100mph > any other common feat in sports

dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:49 am

dmize wrote:Boring? The same is said about football. And of course anyone who knows football would say that's BS, and it's the same with baseball. Seeing a nasty pitching performance is almost as exciting as seeing a 15-14 shoot out. Seeing the strategy that goes into every at bat is entertaining in itself.

Not to mention squaring up a round ball with a round bat at 100mph > any other common feat in sports
Laughing
Still boring to me though. I only watch football and basketball.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:54 am

Beltran has been a great signing for the Cards this season, still funny that for years the two players from the Astros that always gave us problems are now playing for us.

And baseball boring? There is an unbelievable amount of strategy that goes into every game, certain managers follow certain strategies. I still loved how LaRussa managed last years playoffs, absolutely amazing :bow:
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:14 am

DRK wrote:
And baseball boring? There is an unbelievable amount of strategy that goes into every game, certain managers follow certain strategies. I still loved how LaRussa managed last years playoffs, absolutely amazing :bow:

Yeah, no doubt. La Russa is one of the greatest managers ever and he showed why last season.

If you find baseball boring, you probably don't understand it, that's fine, move along.

Baseball is also a sport where it's infinitely better to be at a game in person, instead of watching on TV.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:03 am

The Red Sox were up 9-0 on the Yankees after 5 innings, looked like the game was over. Then the Yankees went and scored 15 unanswered runs in 3 innings to win 15-9Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Gladbron Tied the largest comeback in Yankee history.

And some dude Humber on the White Sox threw a perfect game earlier today, on just 96 pitches too. Crazy.

What a boring sport though Cool
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 am

I watched the White Sox guy throw the perfect game, it was pretty impressive. I had no idea who he was Laughing

What a comeback by the Yanks though, I figured they were going to lose but all of a sudden I saw the score after Swisher's homer I thought they are gonna win that game :bow:

DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Better throwing performance:
A.) Humber's perfect game. (Btw, who think's Ryan actually swung at that pitch in the dirt?)
B.) The Red Sox throwing away a 9 run lead. :facepalm:

Bobby V. may not think Youkilis is giving his all, but I'm betting he lasts quite a bit longer at the club than Bobby V. does.

donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:33 pm

donttreadonred wrote:Better throwing performance:
A.) Humber's perfect game. (Btw, who think's Ryan actually swung at that pitch in the dirt?)
B.) The Red Sox throwing away a 9 run lead. :facepalm:

Bobby V. may not think Youkilis is giving his all, but I'm betting he lasts quite a bit longer at the club than Bobby V. does.

Yeah I saw the final out and I don't think Ryan swung, but if he hadn't tried to argue and just ran he might have made it. I think the ump remembered the Jim Joyce moment and just said he swung regardless.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:44 am

Lohse another great game today :bow: , its funny I remember all the Cardinals fans last year wanted to get rid of him
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 am

So pissed off at Cashman, the Yanks GM. Michael Pineda has a torn labrum, he's done for the season. Hell, there's a good chance his career is over. We gave up one of the best prospects of the last 10 years in Montero, who's going to end up being the next Miggy Cabrera for effin' nothing. At least that's how it feels right now.

Edit: reading some articles about it and maybe he can recover 100%: http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7859295/curt-schilling-says-michael-pineda-new-york-yankees-back-better-ever

Curt Schilling had the surgery and came back, so did Roger Clemens and Chris Carpenter.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:25 am

Nationals called up Bryce Harper for tomorrows game, they're bringing him up a lot earlier than everyone thought because of injuries.

Hope he beasts for my Fantasy Team.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/nationals-promote-bryce-harper-who-will-make-his-major-league-debut-saturday-in-los-angels/2012/04/27/gIQAZspzlT_blog.html
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:14 am

Mike Scioscia needs to be fired.
He was the first manager to win a world series with a wild card but I'm really starting to doubt his managing abilities.

Not bringing weaver back for the 7th in a 2-0 game and bringing in a rookie from the bullpen who gives up 2 runs. Not just that but he's becoming a Joke.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:16 am

Interesting to hear that he was called up. I hope he does well there sure has been a lot of hype around him.
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:05 pm

It's crazy how Anaheim and Detroit are both struggling. Deceived for sure.

And Kyle Lohse with another W today. Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Winning2
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Tue May 01, 2012 11:16 pm

I've been surprised at how they have been playing. I wasn't mad over the whole Pujols deal last season but I figured he would be doing better than he has this year. He had a good pre-season from what I can remember
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed May 02, 2012 1:14 am

Baseball in my opinion is the most boring sport ever created as of this moment. But, I'd like for someone to change my opinion on this. I've never actually been able to sit and watch baseball for more than 5-10 minutes. I don't even know the rules, I guess that's one of the reasons I don't find the sport very interesting. Would someone care to explain really briefly how the rules work, how the score works, how the game is played?

And I'm serious!!!
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Wed May 02, 2012 1:54 am

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/baseball.htm

TBH baseball is very very hard to explain. There's a lot of rules that are easier to understand from viewing a game.

I started to try to write a summary explaining it just now, but it's difficult Laughing Read that link if you have any specific questions just ask

Outlines:
- 2 Teams(obviously)
- Like most sports, object is to get the most points(runs)
- Theres no time kept instead there is "innings"; 9 total which are split into a top and a bottom. Each team gets a chance to both hit and field/pitch in each inning.
-The hitting teams objective is to score runs each inning, while the defense/pitching wants to get "outs"
- After 3 outs a half inning is over and the fielding team gets to hit.
- Every inning starts with a batter and a pitcher. There is a "strikezone" over Home Plate. If a pitcher throws it in the strikezone, it is called a strike. Outside the strike zone, it's called a ball. Balls thrown in the strike zone are usually easier to hit. If 3 strikes are recorded, the hitter is out. If 4 balls are recorded, the batter gets to "take a base" meaning he gets to stand on 1st base(one of the bases; 1st base, 2nd base, 3rd base; each one is closer to Home Plate, aka closer to scoring a run). The balls and strikes are decided by an Umpire.
- Outs can also be recorded by catching a hitters ball before it hits the ground. Or if the ball hits the ground, if you can throw to 1st base before the hitter gets there, it's also an out. And Strikeouts are outs as well.
- There is also fair and foul territory for a hitter. Fair territory is the space in between 1st and 3rd base where if a ball is hit onto the grass and the running makes it to 1st, it's a hit(there's a foul pole marking where foul territory starts in each corner of the outfield). Foul Territory is outside of 3rd and 1st base IE; if a hitter hits a ball that deflects behind him, that is a foul ball, which counts as a strike(unless there are already 2 strikes counted against the hitter). However if a ball is caught in the air in foul territory it's still an out, on the ground it's not.
- Hits that go over the outfield wall while in fair territory are Home Runs which count for 1 run + any runners on bases. So if there is a runner on every base(1st, 2nd and 3rd) and you hit a Home Run, it's 4 runs(Grand Slam).

I know I left out tons of stuff but that was a quick outline.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Sun May 06, 2012 12:12 am

Wow at Pujols. I would've guessed he would've been out of this slump by now. 0 HR's? And the Angels still have to pay him for the next 9+ years? Shocked

Also this doesn't explain why he's struggling right now but I also believe he's probably closer to 35 rather than 32.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Sun May 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Yeah I know there were always quiet talks about how true Albert really was. But I was not expecting this out of him. La Russa thinks its the contract that is causing a major distraction. Speaking of La Russa we are retiring his number 10 jersey Thumbs up
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Sun May 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Albert hit his first homer today, ESPN has a breaking news banner for it Laughing
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Mon May 07, 2012 12:42 am

Lol yeah I just saw it on ESPN.com

Red Sox about to lose a 17 inning marathon to the O's. The game started at 1pm Shocked
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Tue May 08, 2012 12:50 am

Forgot to post about it when it happened, but Mariano Rivera getting injured was a shame. But he's coming back, knew he wouldn't let his career end that way. He'll go out on his own terms.

Also I watched the Nats-Phils game last night, Harper had a good game. He hasn't homered yet but he's hitting .308 with like 5 doubles already. Cole Hamels hit him early in the game and then said afterward he did it on purpose, lol. He felt that Harper has had it way too easy up til now. Then Harper went and owned him by stealing home, boss move.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Wed May 09, 2012 12:35 am

http://www.examiner.com/article/top-yankees-pitching-propsect-campos-placed-on-minor-league-disabled-list

So now both the guys we traded Montero for, are hurt. Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Angry

Cashman:
Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Tumblr_lwgph4xAJ61qdqngp
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Wed May 09, 2012 1:32 am

I was shocked when I heard about Rivera's injury, was he just shagging balls in the outfield?

I asked my dad what he thought of Harper the other day and he went off hes like "who the f*ck is this son of a bi*ch!" And after about five minutes of him using every name in the book to describe Harper and ESPN it became obvious to me he was sick of Harper Laughing But I saw Harper steal home, he went into beast mode there
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Wed May 09, 2012 2:29 am

Josh Hamilton just hit his 4th homer of the night Shocked 5-5 4 HR's
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DRK Thu May 10, 2012 5:57 am

Lohse with another win. Did have a little pain with his hamstring but Matheny said he will be ok. 5-2 on of this road trip not bad
DRK
DRK
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next