Omniscient
zizzle
chinomaster182
The Franchise
Mr Nick09
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Benitez talks, blasts Serie A and more Empty Benitez talks, blasts Serie A and more

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Benitez is a new Eurosport pundit, and talked a little about footy.

RAFAEL BENITEZ, let's start with the question everyone is thinking about before the opening of the Champions League: how to beat Barcelona ? If you had a team today, how would you go about it?

RB: It depends which team precisely. All I can say is: "That's how I would do." But I do not have a team right now, I can't present you a solution, but I can assure you that I will determine the tactics according to my players. If you have the staff of the Real, Liverpool or Inter, you cant approach the game the same way. You can't decide to press high if you do not the players for that. Everyone must find his way. What is certain however, is that everyone should play the perfect game.

But if you look back at the games that really challenged Barcelona in the past couple of years, what would contrary them the most?

RB: Manchester United pressed Barcelona high in the final over the first ten minutes and Barcelona was not comfortable with the ball, but Barça won. Real Madrid decided to press too (the 5-0) but we all saw that it created a lot of spaces for them to exploit. The manager must look at his players, properly assess what each can do. There is no other way to proceed. If it works, it will be with the skills of the players.

What is their real achievement according to you? Their current level? Or the fact that they are still finding ways to improce?

RB: The answer is that the true achievement of Barcelona is the way they work. When I was in charge of youth teams in Madrid, all the youth teams of Barcelona were playing the same way, 3-4-3, with the passing game that we all know. Absolutely all with the same system and the same philosophy. Imagine what level of chemistry they can achieve, fourteen, fifteen years to practice this same game .. The team has great players and a game system that suits them perfectly. The coach comes from the youth teams and knows all that mentality. They are in a situation where everything works, everyone pulls in the same direction, similar to Borussia Dortmund at the moment actually.

You published a fairly extensive study last week on the comparison between the Premier league and la Liga. What can you tell us about the current level of Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1?

RB: I best know the Serie A. My view is that La Liga is very close to the Premier League but now, Serie A is really far behind. The key, the physical factor: the contacts, the tackles, the duels. The intensity is the highest in England . You can have great ball players but they will be forced to approach the game differently if they go to England. That's what sets the EPL over the others.

Is the Bundesliga being underestimated?

RB: Not by me anyway. For me it is clearly above the Serie A. (He mimes with gestures). 1. Premier League and Liga. Below, the Bundesliga and still below the Serie A. Just look at the intensity of matches in Germany . I will analyze all this in more detail, but there is a real football atmosphere in Germany, the constant desire to score goals and a severe competition between clubs.

Do you think it's still possible for a Portuguese club like Porto or a French club like Paris-SG (long term objective for the club) to win the Champions League. DO their Leagues prepare them enough?

RB: Yes, if they have time to build. They must allow time to make mistakes. In general, when you have time to put things in place, you get something substantial. Porto has experience in the Champions League, but they need to keep their players longer. We can only grow when building around your best players. Lyon and Marseille also have the necessary experience, but same thing, they must keep their best players. You never know with the Champions League. Of course the level of the league is a factor to consider, but in France , you now have teams like Lyon, Marseille, Paris and Lille that drive up the level.

Winning the Champions League without being a favorite, that's what you did in 2005 with Liverpool. Can you give us two or three elements of what made it possible?

RB: Everyone was completely involved, that was the key. The fans were incredible, there was an understanding between the players and the staff. Each match was prepared and studied with great care. Everyone talks about the final but we managed several very successful games, against Chelsea , Juventus, Olympiakos, Leverkusen ... Tactically, most importantly, we were very good, often by changing the system. We used the 3-3-3-1, the 4-2-3-1, which we changed at half-time of the final to a 3-4-1-2. The understanding was exceptional. We really felt we could win the trophy after we took out Juventus in the quarterfinals. They were an european great, who beat Real on their way.

Your teams have always been turned around the collective. How do you look at the debate Messi-Ronaldo?

RB: Both are fantastic, but the system needs to be built according to their qualities to make them perform to their potential. If Messi has so much freedom, It's because everybody knows he can make the difference. But what does that mean, having freedom? We must not confuse freedom of a player, and the fact that he can do whatever he wants on a football pitch. It's a confusion many people make. Only deserving players must experience such freedom, according to their quality and potential. And of course, a manager must also make sure that the team has solutions when they arent available.

http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/12092011/70/ligue-des-champions-benitez-le-niveau-grimpe-en-france.html
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Benitez talks, blasts Serie A and more Empty Re: Benitez talks, blasts Serie A and more

Post by The Franchise Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm

I dont think he blasts Serie A, I think he makes fair points and hard ones to really disagree with.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Benitez talks, blasts Serie A and more Empty Re: Benitez talks, blasts Serie A and more

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:16 pm

He said Serie A is way below the standards of the other leagues physically. Im Sure he has the data to back up his claim.

The headline is goal.com style bait.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:23 pm

[quote="St_Nick09_of_Goal"]Benitez is a new Eurosport pundit, and talked a little about footy.

RAFAEL BENITEZ, let's start with the question everyone is thinking about before the opening of the Champions League: how to beat Barcelona ? If you had a team today, how would you go about it?

RB: It depends which team precisely. All I can say is: "That's how I would do." But I do not have a team right now, I can't present you a solution, but I can assure you that I will determine the tactics according to my players. If you have the staff of the Real, Liverpool or Inter, you cant approach the game the same way. You can't decide to press high if you do not the players for that. Everyone must find his way. What is certain however, is that everyone should play the perfect game.

says the guy who used a high defensive line for one of the slowest back 4 in Serie A.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Are Zanetti, Maicon, Lucio really that slow that they dragged down Samuel?

Last edited by St_Nick09_of_Goal on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Omniscient Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:38 pm

I like how he completely dodges the Messi/Ronaldo question.

Omniscient
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:38 pm

This guy makes general assumptions that you can't argue given their generality. If Serie A is so far behind the EPL then why did he go there, and why didn't he win the league.

Riding on a 2005 CL win that is due to 6 minutes of madness and a Dudek that played the game of his life.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:This guy makes general assumptions that you can't argue given their generality. If Serie A is so far behind the EPL then why did he go there, and why didn't he win the league.

Riding on a 2005 CL win that is due to 6 minutes of madness and a Dudek that played the game of his life.

*bleep* Bollocks. Just feck off with discrediting that amazing achievement.

We beat a very strong Leverkusen team...Juve under Capello, Chelsea under Mou, and AC Milan with load of star players under Carlo...and the only thing people remember is 6 minutes of madness.

In this world when coaches need perfect players...we won a CL with Djimi Traore at left back, went back to a final 2 years after, would have been 3 final in 4 years, had it not been for freakiest own goal of all time

Won at Bernabeu, Camp Nou, Meazza, etc.....yet all people remember is those 6 minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:48 pm

He has alot of fair points.His comparison about series A and bundes liga is spot on.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:Benitez is a new Eurosport pundit, and talked a little about footy.

What is their real achievement according to you? Their current level? Or the fact that they are still finding ways to improce?

RB: The answer is that the true achievement of Barcelona is the way they work. When I was in charge of youth teams in Madrid, all the youth teams of Barcelona were playing the same way, 3-4-3, with the passing game that we all know. Absolutely all with the same system and the same philosophy. Imagine what level of chemistry they can achieve, fourteen, fifteen years to practice this same game .. The team has great players and a game system that suits them perfectly. The coach comes from the youth teams and knows all that mentality. They are in a situation where everything works, everyone pulls in the same direction, similar to Borussia Dortmund at the moment actually.

Do you think it's still possible for a Portuguese club like Porto or a French club like Paris-SG (long term objective for the club) to win the Champions League. DO their Leagues prepare them enough?

RB: Yes, if they have time to build. They must allow time to make mistakes. In general, when you have time to put things in place, you get something substantial. Porto has experience in the Champions League, but they need to keep their players longer. We can only grow when building around your best players. Lyon and Marseille also have the necessary experience, but same thing, they must keep their best players. You never know with the Champions League. Of course the level of the league is a factor to consider, but in France , you now have teams like Lyon, Marseille, Paris and Lille that drive up the level.

http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/12092011/70/ligue-des-champions-benitez-le-niveau-grimpe-en-france.html

I think the biggest points worth discussing here are his comments on Barca's system for developing players and his comments on a French or Portuguese side challenging for the CL.

Both point to one factor he seems to hold above all: Consistency in management (both over time, and from top to bottom). That also seems to be a factor greatly disregarded by a number of clubs throughout Europe who prefer to change managers, and styles, every couple of seasons. Do people agree that this is indeed the main factor in Barcelona's recent dominance and Manchester United's dominance, or has the increase in wealth throughout the footballing world made such "old school" ideas outdated? Remember, despite the relative lack of trophies Arsenal have consistently been in Europe and near the top of the PL, largely due to the fact that Wenger has set up his scouting network and youth/reserves sides to consistently bring in and produce top talent players. How many years is enough time for a manager to be properly judged at a new club?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Don't see how Bundesliga is all of a sudden ahead of Seria A.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by ManUnited4Ever Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Hes speaking the truth tho, we all see that in seria a, its on a steady rise but they play a different game then the other two leagues, def more slow paced

ManUnited4Ever
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:56 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:Are Zanetti, Maicon, Lucio really that slow that they dragged down Samuel?

you know that the average age of ths backline is 33 years eh ?
plus when one of these 4 is beat one on one or by a through pass the whole line would have to play catch up against a usualy faster winger/forward, and if lucio and zanetti are still a bit fast when they reach full gear, their acceleration is no where near what it used to be
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:This guy makes general assumptions that you can't argue given their generality. If Serie A is so far behind the EPL then why did he go there, and why didn't he win the league.

And what of the fact that we made it to the final through several better clubs?

And that he lead Liverpool to the final again in 06/07, and the semi's the year after that? And that, during much of his tenure, Liverpool were ranked number 1 in UEFA's club seedings on European performances. Or perhaps you'd like to address Liverpool's wins over Madrid, Barca, Juventus, Milan, Inter, ManUtd, Chelsea, and Arsenal throughout his tenure? Were all of those flukes? Did none of that contribute to his reputation?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Sepi wrote:

We beat a very strong Leverkusen team...Juve under Capello, Chelsea under Mou, and AC Milan with load of star players under Carlo...and the only thing people remember is 6 minutes of madness.

In this world when coaches need perfect players...we won a CL with Djimi Traore at left back, went back to a final 2 years after, would have been 3 final in 4 years, had it not been for freakiest own goal of all time

Won at Bernabeu, Camp Nou, Meazza, etc.....yet all people remember is those 6 minutes.

Because if it was not for those minutes and Dudek you would not have won that CL. Seriously, the end products is what gives value to the equation. And I did not undermine the achievement of Liverpool, but the involvement of him on that Achievement. It was his first season, and it was the players that carried the games.

It was a semi-mythical tale. Which is why I believe Benitez was as much a spectator as the fans.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:07 pm

Ofcourse winning laliga with an unfancied team like Valencia breaking the monopoly of Madrid and Barca isnt an achievement is it :facepalm:

Neither is reaching the CL once and reaching the semi twice again in his Career is it? :facepalm:

Ofcourse he is only riding on the mistake of Dudek his whole managerial career :facepalm:

what a load of BS.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:10 pm

RedOranje wrote:
Both point to one factor he seems to hold above all: Consistency in management (both over time, and from top to bottom). That also seems to be a factor greatly disregarded by a number of clubs throughout Europe who prefer to change managers, and styles, every couple of seasons. Do people agree that this is indeed the main factor in Barcelona's recent dominance and Manchester United's dominance, or has the increase in wealth throughout the footballing world made such "old school" ideas outdated? Remember, despite the relative lack of trophies Arsenal have consistently been in Europe and near the top of the PL, largely due to the fact that Wenger has set up his scouting network and youth/reserves sides to consistently bring in and produce top talent players. How many years is enough time for a manager to be properly judged at a new club?

I think the message is pretty obvious. there is a real school of thinking between both projects, one due to a manager (SAF) who stayed at the club for so long, and the other due to a philosophy that drove a club. It's in truth the best possible way to bring up youth player, have them study the system, produce the right skills for your school of thinking etc...

The cleverleys and co, not necessarily great players, but they are a natural fit, and they benefit from top shelf coaching, it makes the difference in the early years and will shape them tomorrow. Same with Barca, consistency is a key factor. Reworking the structure bottom to top, and making sure that you have something uniform. Utd is a very unique example due to them keeping SAF, wouldnt have been the same otherwise.

Arsenal is a good example, and given time they will dominate England again, but they are a good example to highlights outside factors as well. I'm not sure Wenger carried his recruiting the best possible way to provide solid structure within the first team itself, but that's another argument. It's not perfect, it's not enough to say that you will have a top academy and all will be well.

There is almost a video game mentality out there with regards to how managers are treated, they must perform now or it's bust. Just looking at Real for ex, the kind of feeling we got from just this beginning of season, i dont know a fan who wouldnt keep mou for another 2-3 years, give him the time to work. It's all i can wish for my club, a long term steady manager that does the work from top to bottom, although, Mourinho is trying that with Real, asking the youth teams to play like he does etc...

Another good example would be Rudi Garcia, Lille current manager. Has been at the club since 08, and steadily turned them into the most enjoyable football team in France, but also made them Champions, won a double last season.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Those minutes happened because Benitez changed the tactical set up of Liverpool and brought on the players that helped create the chances though. Seems he was much more than merely a spectator in that.

And what of the entire rest of the second half when Milan didn't score? Dudek wasn't making saves every 10 seconds so surely the defense and midfield (one re-organized by Benitez at and just after halftime) had something to do with stifling Milan's great players?

Also, who do you think got the players going again at halftime despite the first half performance? Carra (as if they could understand anything he said anyway)?

The only mythical bits in this discussion are those suggesting that Rafa does NOT deserve a good deal of credit and respect for his achievements that season and the subsequent few with Liverpool.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:
Sepi wrote:

Because if it was not for those minutes and Dudek you would not have won that CL. Seriously, the end products is what gives value to the equation. And I did not undermine the achievement of Liverpool, but the involvement of him on that Achievement. It was his first season, and it was the players that carried the games.

It was a semi-mythical tale. Which is why I believe Benitez was as much a spectator as the fans.

If Benitez hadnt changed the system and introduced smicer and plugged the hole in midfield we would never have won.

Ofcourse its a mythical tale suddenly Kaka who was so effective in first half suddenly became invisible in second.Nothing to do with tactical changes of Benitez.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:20 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:
I think the message is pretty obvious. there is a real school of thinking between both projects, one due to a manager (SAF) who stayed at the club for so long, and the other due to a philosophy that drove a club. It's in truth the best possible way to bring up youth player, have them study the system, produce the right skills for your school of thinking etc...

The cleverleys and co, not necessarily great players, but they are a natural fit, and they benefit from top shelf coaching, it makes the difference in the early years and will shape them tomorrow. Same with Barca, consistency is a key factor. Reworking the structure bottom to top, and making sure that you have something uniform. Utd is a very unique example due to them keeping SAF, wouldnt have been the same otherwise.

Arsenal is a good example, and given time they will dominate England again, but they are a good example to highlights outside factors as well. I'm not sure Wenger carried his recruiting the best possible way to provide solid structure within the first team itself, but that's another argument. It's not perfect, it's not enough to say that you will have a top academy and all will be well.

There is almost a video game mentality out there with regards to how managers are treated, they must perform now or it's bust. Just looking at Real for ex, the kind of feeling we got from just this beginning of season, i dont know a fan who wouldnt keep mou for another 2-3 years, give him the time to work. It's all i can wish for my club, a long term steady manager that does the work from top to bottom, although, Mourinho is trying that with Real, asking the youth teams to play like he does etc...

Another good example would be Rudi Garcia, Lille current manager. Has been at the club since 08, and steadily turned them into the most enjoyable football team in France, but also made them Champions, won a double last season.
If the answer/message is so obvious, then why do so few clubs tend to follow it in the modern era? As you've mentioned, Madrid are quite fond of a managerial change, as are Chelsea and a number of the Italian clubs. Bayern, as well, have gone through a few recently. Surely the club owners/presidents aren't so prone to the "video game mentality" as some fans are, are they?

As an example that I am familiar with, Liverpool under Rafa moved toward the Barca system and, with the Woy intermission aside, have continued to develop their youth and reserve systems in that fashion, with all sides training in and generally favouring a 4-2-3-1 with pass-and-move as the key focus. In the past, as well, the club followed the "Boot Room philosophy" where managers and coaches were traditionally promoted from within the club. It served the club well up until Kenny's departure and a couple of unfortunately choices. With so many success stories in the consistency department why does it seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:22 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:
If Benitez hadnt changed the system and introduced smicer and plugged the hole in midfield we would never have won.

Ofcourse its a mythical tale suddenly Kaka who was so effective in first half suddenly became invisible in second.Nothing to do with tactical changes of Benitez.

Didi.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Sepi wrote:

that ball never crossed the line!!! Evil or Very Mad
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:24 pm

For the Valencia titles, Valencia broke the bank and went into debt because of that. While Barca-Madrid did not have a Monopoly yet. Espicially with the a weak pre-Rijkard Barca, and a Madrid struggling with inside Galacticos problems. So that much is as challenging as for Mancini to get into the top four.

As for the CL performance, I only stated 2005 as not entirely to his credit. The system was the same as Houllier system. Remember that pool finished fifth that season, and they didn't even have a top four contender other than Arsenal, Chelsea, and Man. U.

And for the 2005 pool campaign:
Pool where second in their group with 6 goals, and 3 goal against them.
Their only hugely impressive result was against Levurkusen.

Their victory against Juve was against the run of play. With Juve failing to convert any of their chances despite having an average of 56% over the two games.

The Chelsea victory was a matter of a 4th minute goal and then valiant defense.

The reason Milan was 3 up by half time was a horrible tactical flaw in Benitez's plan. That Liverpool won any of those game was due to the skill and determination of their football, rather than any tactical masterstrokes by Rafa.

Notice that I am not dissing pool here, whom I respect for their valiant performance.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:24 pm

fatman123 wrote:
that ball never crossed the line!!! Evil or Very Mad

Even IF it didn't, Cech would of been sent off and you would of had to play 80+ mins with 10 men.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:29 pm

:lol!: Valencia weren't unfancied they were a good team I'm not saying that Benitez didn't do good.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next