mr-r34
36 posters

Page 38 of 42 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Go down

Our Squad - Page 38 Empty Re: Our Squad

Post by donttreadonred Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:06 pm

Nice Ifti!

Mind if I weigh in, too?

- Mignolet: Good enough for the remainder of this season. His distribution is slow and poor, and he lacks the ability to organize the defense. I could see Klopp bringing in a replacement, but I doubt it will be this January (at least not starting regularly this season).
- Bogdan: Has surprised a lot of supporters. He’s good enough to fill in for short to moderate lengths of time, but not likely to be a serious contender for the #1 spot. Whether he stays depends on Mignolet’s willingness to remain on as a backup.
- Clyne: Personally think he’s one of the better all-round right backs in the league. RB sorted for the near future.
- Moreno: Has all the qualities to be a wonderful attacking left back. Needs to improve defensively, but it’s nothing uncommon for a young defender.
- Enrique: Unlikely to give up his modeling/instagram endeavors to play football again.
-Skrtel: Could be a solid back-up CB for us, but needs to be displaced from his starting spot.
- Sakho: In my opinion, our best defender. Needs to be the focal point of our defense when fit.
- Kolo: Likely to leave, especially if Skrtel and/or Lovren stays on as back-up.
- Lovren: An interesting case now that Sakho is sidelined. This must be his last chance in the squad. CAn’t see him overtaking Sakho as first choice, and I would prefer a younger CB as back-up, but he’s not without his merits as a back-up.
- Lucas: I could see him having a role in the squad going forward. Not as a regular first-XI player, but as a back-up and mentor. Fills a role at the moment as a DM that no one else in the squad can perform.
- Henderson: Captain and the best midfielder at the club, currently. Will be crucial when he returns.
- Emre: Will be a crucial player for us as he matures. Likely to be a long-term mainstay in the center of the park under Klopp and has all the tools to become whatever the club/Klopp wants him to become.
- Milner: Has a place in the squad as a hard-working, wide midfielder, but should go nowhere near CM, nor will he be likely to remain first choice once more dynamic wide options are brought in.
- Lallana: Has surprised me with his play under Klopp. Could have a back-up role, but lacks the quick decision making needed to be first choice for the new regime.
- Firmino: Will be crucial once fit and starting with regularity. Needs a goal/assist to really get going.
- Ibe: Has the potential to be exactly what we need in the wide areas. Needs to be allowed to develop outside of the shadow of Raheem Sterling.
- Coutinho: Simply essential.
- Benteke: Has seriously surprised me under Klopp. He performs some vital roles in Klopp’s system, and has the potential to form a nice partnership with Firmino and Coutinho up front. Had a stinker against CP, but has been making the most of limited service in his other appearances.
- Sturridge: Unplayable at times when fully fit, but that is becoming increasingly rare. Simply cannot be relied on to lead the line (fitness), but needs to be retained for his near-world class quality.
- Ings: Shame he was injured at the very start of Klopp’s tenure. Hard to see him displacing Benteke or Sturridge, but has value as another, more polished striking option.
- Origi: Many have been very critical of Origi, but we need to remember that he’s only 20. He’s approximately the same age as Jordon Ibe, but because he came from France, and is not a youth product, he’s held to a different standard. Needs time, but has immense, raw potential.

donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:33 am

donttreadonred wrote:Nice Ifti! drunken

Mind if I weigh in, too? :bow:

iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:28 pm

This is what I think is our best starting XI:

Mignolet
Clyne - Lovren - Sakho - Moreno
Henderson - Lucas - Can
Firmino - Coutinho
Sturridge

Though to be honest the fluidity and creativity of Lallana - Firimino - Coutinho in the game against City was really nice to watch also. I would like to see maybe a better CM on the ball with some real creativity come in to take Can's starting place (for now), and definitely get an upgrade at GK. Otherwise there's no reason this roster can't challenge for the league moving forward. Especially with quality bench players like Benteke, Ibe, Lallana, Milner, Allen, etc.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:31 am

So what's your assessment of the squad at the half-way mark???

Mignolet remains Mignolet, generally solid but terrible in the air and in distribution. I had so far resisted the urge to replace him, but he simply doesn't look like a keeper who would be part of a title-challenging team. Bogdan had a nightmare against Watford but I still consider him as a solid back-up. Verdict: Need a quality starting keeper.

Sakho wasn't too good in the last two games but he have done enough in the past to be considered as a long-term starter. Lovren is having a good spell but I still don't consider him an automatic starter. But at his present form, he can be a great back-up/rotation though. Skrtel is like Mignolet, generally solid but his approach is likely to create havoc in our defense. Verdict: Need a quality starting CB.

Clyne has locked his place, for good. Moreno is too inconsistent  in addition to his defensive frailties. Also, his end-product in the final third is limited. Verdict: A better LB/LWB is preferred.

Henderson is the ONLY starting quality CM. Lucas is good at shielding the back-line and can pass the ball forward, but you can't expect a defining pass or movement from him. On the contrary; Emre has good movements, with or without the ball, but is more likely to loose the ball or pass badly. Milner works tirelessly but can't provide a killer pass as it's with Allen. Verdict: Need a starting quality DLP in exchange of Milner and Allen.

Ibe is improving but not at a rate that would challenge Lallana, Firmino or Coutinho. The movements and enterprise of Lallana does create problems for the opposition, we need so much more from him. Firmino and Coutinho have flattered to deceive They may be more talented than Lallana, but have only fraction of his enterprise.

Benteke has received a lot of criticism. While it's beyond justification how he missed two 1on1 in last two games, he isn't receiving the service he needs. Origi is improving but has a long way to go. Sturridge will forever remain an enigma. Verdict: May be, just may be, we should try providing better service to Benteke.  hmm
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:34 pm

We still need too many tweaks, Squad isn't good for top 4. It clearly rests on Sturridge imo.

Also i don't like Can at all, I prefer Lucas over him on any given day.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:44 pm

I like Can. Considering his age. If he gets to play now, he could become a very good player for us in a couple of years. If he doesn't get games, his game intelligence won't develop, and that's his biggest problem. He's got good skill but sometimes doesn't do the right things on the field.

But as for the squad as a whole, it is what it is, no need to over-analyse it every few months. I'm happy to go with it until the end of the season and then evaluate it.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:42 pm

At the end of the first half of the season, here's a follow-up to my previous post, evaluating the squad.

Warning... It's a bit long-winded. Sorry. Embarassed

- Mignolet: Good enough for the remainder of this season. His distribution is slow and poor, and he lacks the ability to organize the defense. I could see Klopp bringing in a replacement, but I doubt it will be this January (at least not starting regularly this season).
I’ve actually been rather impressed by Mignolet over the past month. WHile his shot-stopping has always been up-to-snuff, his speed of distribution has improved, as has his accuracy. Perhaps it’s Klopps approach that offers him more options (or asks less of him), but he’s looked decidedly more comfortable coming up to the halfway mark of the season than he did for the first few months. That said, there’s still much he could do to improve his command of his area and organizational qualities. However, I’m not as set upon a new keeper as I was earlier in the season.

- Bogdan: Has surprised a lot of supporters. He’s good enough to fill in for short to moderate lengths of time, but not likely to be a serious contender for the #1 spot. Whether he stays depends on Mignolet’s willingness to remain on as a backup. As far as Bogdan goes, his situation is still dependent on Mignolet. Certainly good-enough as a backup, but will never be first-choice.

- Clyne: Personally think he’s one of the better all-round right backs in the league. RB sorted for the near future. Solid and performing at a consistently high level. He’s done nothing to change my assessment of him from earlier in the season.

- Moreno: Has all the qualities to be a wonderful attacking left back. Needs to improve defensively, but it’s nothing uncommon for a young defender. I’ve seen a lot of people slating him recently. However, I think he’s improved considerably over the past month. Many of the defensive errors that plagued him under Rodgers and in Klopps early days have dried up. He’s by no means perfect, or even the finished article, but he’s improving and has immense up-side.

- Enrique: Unlikely to give up his modeling/instagram endeavors to play football again. Is he still on the squad?

- Skrtel: Could be a solid back-up CB for us, but needs to be displaced from his starting spot. Skrtel has done nothing to change my opinion on him. He’s still a back-foot defender with a penchant for a last-ditch tackle. While there’s nothing inherently wrong with his style (and he certainly has quality), my qualms have always been the implication of his playing style on the approach of the entire defense. I still think his presence dictates how the other defenders must play and often creates discord between him and a more front-footed defender (like Sakho or even Lovren).

- Sakho: In my opinion, our best defender. Needs to be the focal point of our defense when fit.He has shown a few blemishes on the otherwise gleaming armor over the past few games. However, he’s still our best defender (by miles…), and I can’t immediately think of any goals that have come from his errors. He’s still the commanding force in an otherwise shy defense and is absolutely essential to the squads efforts at landing a top-4 place.

- Kolo: Likely to leave, especially if Skrtel and/or Lovren stays on as back-up.Same… However, he may still have a part to play in the second half of the season, with our defensive injury issues.

- Lovren: An interesting case now that Sakho is sidelined. This must be his last chance in the squad. CAn’t see him overtaking Sakho as first choice, and I would prefer a younger CB as back-up, but he’s not without his merits as a back-up.I can’t say that I was particularly convinced by him during Sakho’s spell on the sideline. However, since partnering with Sakho, he’s looked significantly better. I still don’t think he’s shown enough to nail down a starting spot long-term. However, I’m beginning to like he Sakho/Lovren pairing better than the Sakho/Skrtel option, as the two CB’s styles seem to jive a bit better.

- Lucas: I could see him having a role in the squad going forward. Not as a regular first-XI player, but as a back-up and mentor. Fills a role at the moment as a DM that no one else in the squad can perform. This prediction seems to be the case at the moment. Lucas has been a very useful piece to have on the bench, even starting the odd match. However, I still don’t see him as a long-term solution.

- Henderson: Captain and the best midfielder at the club, currently. Will be crucial when he returns. This still appears to hold true. However, his continued injury issues are a concern.

- Emre: Will be a crucial player for us as he matures. Likely to be a long-term mainstay in the center of the park under Klopp and has all the tools to become whatever the club/Klopp wants him to become. Despite receiving a considerable amount of internet/twitter have said about Emre, he’s remained a favorite of Klopp. Moreover, I would tend to agree with the manager. He has immense up-side, and is maturing before our eyes. However, because he’s had several sub-par performances, many are ready to write him off. Like Moreno and Origi, he is far from the finished article. Patience with him (and the others) could see us with a few gems on our hands once they’ve had a bit more time to develop under Klopp.

- Milner: Has a place in the squad as a hard-working, wide midfielder, but should go nowhere near CM, nor will he be likely to remain first choice once more dynamic wide options are brought in. His role in the squad is dificult to assess with him sidelined at the moment. However, it doesn’t seem that he will have nearly the same responsibility under Klopp that Rodgers had given him.

- Lallana: Has surprised me with his play under Klopp. Could have a back-up role, but lacks the quick decision making needed to be first choice for the new regime. Lallana has truly surprised me under Klopp. As is becoming a theme in this assessment, it is possible that his rejuvenation is down to the responsibilities he’s been given within Klopp’s system. He’s flourished as one of 3 CAMs behind a central striker, and he even appears to be relishing the defensive responsibilities as one of the Wide AMs. He’s still lacking end-product, and he’s still slow on the ball in transition. However, those deficiencies are masked somewhat by his role. A very useful player, Lallana will have an important role in the fortunes of the club in the second half of the season. However, I would still consider him expendable in the summer given a good offer.

- Firmino: Will be crucial once fit and starting with regularity. Needs a goal/assist to really get going. Firmino’s a bit of a curious case. His form has been off as far as his end-product, but I still contest that his quality is there to be seen. He’s had several VERY good performances and several anonymous ones (though, not as many as other, now cult-status, players in the squad…). I know it’s not the most popular opinion, but I believe he needs to be trusted by the manager and allowed freedom to play and make mistakes as he adjusts to various roles and partners in a new country/league.

- Ibe: Has the potential to be exactly what we need in the wide areas. Needs to be allowed to develop outside of the shadow of Raheem Sterling. He’s looked good in spurts. More importantly, we’ve only seen him in spurts. While some may think the lack of playing time is a vote of no confidence from Klopp, I think it may actually be the best thing for him in the long run. He needs to be removed from the lineup and allowed to train and develop with sporadic appearances. Reliance on youngsters can often burn them out. It would seem that Klopp is mindful of this and is managing his use closely.

- Coutinho: Simply essential. He remains essential. However, he’s also been somewhat off-form recently. To be honest, he looks like he’s taking the weight of expectation for the entire team on his shoulders at times. While, he’s still capable of being the best player on the pitch at any given moment, this expectation seems to be weighing him down. He desperately needs someone else in the squad (preferably a devoted attacker) to relieve the burden on him. Benteke, Firmino, Lallana… I’m looking at you.

- Benteke: Has seriously surprised me under Klopp. He performs some vital roles in Klopp’s system, and has the potential to form a nice partnership with Firmino and Coutinho up front. Had a stinker against CP, but has been making the most of limited service in his other appearances. Since the previous statement, Benteke’s form has slumped, with the Belgian seemingly reverting to his more static tendencies. The strange part is that despite his frustrating movement and positioning, he’s still managed to score some much-needed goals for the club. We obviously need a foil for Sturridge, as he seems unable to stay fit. What I’m having trouble deciding is whether Benteke is the man to saddle our fortunes to. He has positives. However, he’s a bit of a project. For his price, he needs to be the finished article. I can see Klopp looking to offload for a reasonable proportion of his fee and getting a striker to fit his own system. However, this would happen until the summer at the earliest.

- Sturridge: Unplayable at times when fully fit, but that is becoming increasingly rare. Simply cannot be relied on to lead the line (fitness), but needs to be retained for his near-world class quality. Same… Sturridge remains frustratingly injury prone. However, what’s most frustrating is having his ability unavailable to the squad. If fit, he’s the kind of player that could carry a team to the top 4, but does little for the squad when sitting in the stands.

- Ings: Shame he was injured at the very start of Klopp’s tenure. Hard to see him displacing Benteke or Sturridge, but has value as another, more polished striking option. Still injured, obviously. However, it would be interesting to get Klopp’s thought on him as an option in the future. At the very least, we will need to wait until next season to truly see where Klopp envision’s him in the squad.

- Origi: Many have been very critical of Origi, but we need to remember that he’s only 20. He’s approximately the same age as Jordon Ibe, but because he came from France, and is not a youth product, he’s held to a different standard. Needs time, but has immense, raw potential. Following Klopp’s appointment, Origi has developed in front of our eyes. Yes he’s been a bit inconsistent, but his quality and potential is showing through. It’s incredibly unfortunate that he’s sidelined now, as Klopp had been selecting him over Benteke for some matches. However, he appears to have all the tools Klopp would want in a striker. If he can continue to develop, he could be a wonderful asset in seasons to come.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Excellent assessment as usual, Tread.

Im a bit annoyed how Can doesn't take any risks while passing, Most of his passing is sideways or backwards if you'd notice. His touch is also very inconsistent.
Lucas is more direct in his passing even though he doesn't have that magic that Emre can conjure once in a while. I don't really understand his role in the squad because he's not offering much both offensively and defensively.

But obviously he's very young and will develop.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Nishankly wrote:Excellent assessment as usual, Tread.

Im a bit annoyed how Can doesn't take any risks while passing, Most of his passing is sideways or backwards if you'd notice. His touch is also very inconsistent.
Lucas is more direct in his passing even though he doesn't have that magic that Emre can conjure once in a while. I don't really understand his role in the squad because he's not offering much both offensively and defensively.

But obviously he's very young and will develop.
Regarding Can, I actually think his game changes dependent on his partner. With Henderson, he does tend to defer a bit, opting instead for shorter passes and more ball carrying. With Lucas, Allen, and even Milner, he takes on more of the distributor role, looking for longer, more adventurous passes. Therefore, I'm not as frustrated with this particular aspect of his game.

My qualm with Emre is in his decision making in the final third. He's still somewhat immature, sometimes running down blind alleys when a pass is on, choosing a finesse pass/shot when the simple layoff is available, or simply choosing to shoot through a crowded box rather than break down the defense. This is just immaturity, as mentioned above, and will likely work out of his game as he develops under Klopp.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:38 am

This thread just brings tears to my eyes Sad
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:50 pm

If I were a too religious man, I would have though we are cursed and advocated some cleansing. A lot has been made of our squad (with special and not too occasional references to Lallana and Benteke) lately. True, we don't have a title-winning squad; but it's way, WAY better than what the likes of Leicester, Palace, Watford or even Tottenham have. On top of that, we have perhaps one of the top-five managers in present time.

But our present standing and the way we play doesn't do any justice to our squad quality or the manager.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:48 pm

iftikhar wrote:If I were a too religious man, I would have though we are cursed and advocated some cleansing. A lot has been made of our squad (with special and not too occasional references to Lallana and Benteke) lately. True, we don't have a title-winning squad; but it's way, WAY better than what the likes of Leicester, Palace, Watford or even Tottenham have. On top of that, we have perhaps one of the top-five managers in present time.

But our present standing and the way we play doesn't do any justice to our squad quality or the manager.
You're probably right in terms of individual quality. (Though, I'd warn you not to get too hung up on transfer valuations and/or equating them to quality.) However, the difference is in buying players that suit each others' strengths and buying to suit a particular tactical approach. Too often, it seemed as though Rodgers was buying players that looked like "technicians" (his words, which I believe roughly translates to 'skilled footballers'), with little to no thought toward squad interplay and a consistent approach. It often seemed that Rodgers picked what he believed to be strongest squad (or his "favorites"), and he assumed they'd go out and be able to work their individual magic on the opposition and tear them apart. (Hey, it worked with Sturridge and Suarez, AmIRight... AmIRight?)

What I'm looking forward to with Klopp is his proven ability to assemble a squad (often from relatively unknown/unproven talents) that adheres to a single tactical approach, possesses complementary qualities, and fosters strong interplay between individuals. This is what we've lacked since the 2013-14 season (which I've come to believe was more down to Gerrard's inspiration; Suarez, Coutinho, and Sturridge's individual skill, and no small amount of good fortune). This is precisely what Klopp has built at Dortmund, and still remains there after his departure. Appointing Klopp was a sign that the owners are playing the "long-game" to the extent that you can in modern football. While they certainly want results as soon as possible, you don't appoint Klopp to get the dead-cat bounce. You appoint him to build an setup that will last at the club. That's what I'm looking forward to over the next few windows.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:27 am

My view is simply that we have way too many on wages they don't deserve or have the mentality to deserve those wages. The lack of desire is effing obvious that it is mind boggling.

What Leichester players have in contrast is the desire to prove a point. And our players seems content with playing PS4 and posting selfies with Enrique Sad
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:00 pm

Fahim wrote:My view is simply that we have way too many on wages they don't deserve or have the mentality to deserve those wages.
That list is almost inexhaustible  Sad . Milner, Emre, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Benteke all are guilty of lacking the 'right' attitude in one way or another. You may very well add Mignolet, Skrtel and Moreno to that list too.

DTR wrote:However, the difference is in buying players that suit each others' strengths and buying to suit a particular tactical approach.
In the short-term Klopp should try revising his tactical approach. Clearly Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana with Bently up top isn't working. Neither is a midfield of Lucas, Henderson and Emre/Milner. I think one of the #10s should be dropped unless Sturridge is playing. Better to have Ibe instead of one of the AMs when Bently is playing. A 442-diamond is also worth a try.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 pm

I still think this team, with their current roster, works best as a diamond. Clyne and Moreno (along with the CMs) can provide adequate width and with the other team dealing with two strikers (where again, I think Benteke could shine). Didn't they play the diamond at one point and it worked quite well? Trying to remember exactly which game but it's not coming to me and I'm too lazy to search.

Lucas
Henderson - Coutinho
Lallana
Firmino - Benteke

For now I would do this. Move Firmino to the CAM and Sturridge to striker when health permits. Can and Milner can rotate in as necessary as well as Lallana. Ibe is there if we need a true wide option but I also think that he could be effectively converted into a striker type that is a bit more deep lying or who can push out wide with room to run.

I still feel Coutinho is best suited to the midfield. It will take away his tendency to try and force the shot too much and capitalize on his best abilities (creating space with the dribble, receiving the ball and turning, and finding team cutting passes).
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:13 am

iftikhar wrote:
Fahim wrote:My view is simply that we have way too many on wages they don't deserve or have the mentality to deserve those wages.
That list is almost inexhaustible  Sad . Milner, Emre, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Benteke all are guilty of lacking the 'right' attitude in one way or another. You may very well add Mignolet, Skrtel and Moreno to that list too.

Sad Sad
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:48 pm

I still think the diamond is the way to go with this team right now. As our scoring woes continue, especially on the finishing end, Benteke pretty much needs to be in the squad. There's really nothing wrong with playing 2 strikers. A flat 4-4-2 or a diamond are both strong shouts for our team. Firmino beside Benteke will do more of the link-up and movement to draw defenders out but also offer another presence up front while Benteke can do a bit of everything but focus on staying higher up the pitch. It's not ideal to have Lallana be the one behind them, but for now it's not bad either. Henderson and a combination of Milner/Can/Allen/Lucas can provide plenty of cover from midfield and have the energy to make it hard to penetrate (as well as give wide support in possession, Henderson is especially good at getting a bit wide and throwing in a nice cross).

Meanwhile Smith should be playing over Moreno because his ability to get forward and be effective in the final 3rd could really be used right now. It wouldn't be a horrible idea to also use Ibe up front as a striker in rotation with Firmino and Benteke while others are healing up.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Our goals-against-per-game this season in the Prem with Skrtel 1.24; without Skrtel 2.16 smoking
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:37 pm

Starting to really think that our best formation moving forward (at least as a base) is going to be the 4-4-2. I know that stuff like 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 are all the rage, but it just seems to fit the team well.

Mignolet
Milner - Henderson - Can - Coutinho
Firmino - Sturridge

Ward
Flanagan - Toure - Skrtel - Smith
Ibe - Allen - Lucas - Lallana
Origi - Benteke

It fits. It's what Klopp has been using with Sturridge back in the side (both Firmino and Sturridge have been dropping deep, too). Coutinho takes up his wide position but cuts inside and acts more like a playmaker who still keeps the other team honest with his shooting ability from range. Whoever is in the Lucas/Can position needs to be more strictly defensive, and should be the deepest midfielder, but should be able to handle the ball decently and pick out nice passes (this is probably the biggest area we need to find a buy for in terms of an already top player, Can has a ways to go to get there). Henderson we know is a strong box to box player that'll contribute everywhere, but can't be trusted to carry the ball -- he needs passing options available so you have Milner/Winger on the right staying a bit wider and continuing to use the width of the pitch with our other midfielder available for a pass, Firmino and Sturridge both dropping deep as well as Clyne being a bit more conservative on his side with the CBs leaving last option pass backs. Moreno is allowed to surge a bit more into the space left by Coutinho to provide the overlapping option even though he's a dunce and can't make use of it much.

I like it. Was never a huge fan of the 4-4-2 but it's growing on me, especially since I think playing with 2 strikers seems to be really effective right now. Next season with Matip and Markovic coming back the only really big needs will probably be a top end CM and a real keeper (though again, a World Class player in any position is always welcome).
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:28 pm

Curtinho:
I'm probably going to argue semantics with you more than true tactical difference. Honestly, I think we're already playing this formation. Although, I'm not sure that I would call it a 4-4-2, and the difference is as much in the players we have in certain positions and their instruction than true formational difference.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like using the term 4-4-2 to describe our formation, if only because of the connotations it brings with it. The term instantly evokes visions of 2 flat banks of 4 and long balls played up to a traditional big/little pairing in attack. None of those are facets of Klopp's setup.

First of all, under Klopp, we tend not to have a flat back four. Granted, the fullbacks are a little more restrained, and the CBs do not split as often as they did under Rodgers. However, the fullbacks do not stay attached to the CBs and are regularly called to support the attack and provide width in the final third.

Secondly, the CM's roles are a bit different. Both CMs tend to have more shared defensive responsibility, sitting deeper and dictating play from behind the attack. In a 4-4-2, I'd expect the CMs to be a bit more dynamic, sitting higher up the pitch, doing less dictating of play, making more supporting runs for the forwards, etc.

Finally, there is Firmino. Honestly, I think this may be the biggest point of confusion between the two setups. Firmino isn't your stereotypical, creative #10. He's naturally more incisive than that, often looking to take up CF positions and interchange with the striker, rather than simply facilitating for a true #9. That said, I still firmly believe that he is a CAM at heart. While his initial defensive responsibility is in the high press alongside whatever striker is currently fit, he then drops deep to link the CMs with the attack. The difference being that his next move is to turn and get into a scoring position, often inside the box, rather than drifting back into space in order to facilitate other's runs.

As I said at the top, much of this is really a matter of interpretation rather than true tactical difference. However, much of the difference between football strategies and tactic are a matter of instruction rather than true positional difference. Moreover, it can be fluid from game to game and even minute to minute. It's simply a matter of how you choose to interpret and relay the difference when discussing them.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:15 am

Luis Suarez back at Melwood to tap up Coutinho fml. Sad
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:09 pm

Red Alert wrote:Luis Suarez back at Melwood to tap up Coutinho fml. Sad

Yeah... That was bittersweet wasn't it. I was relatively okay with his departure at the time (a second biting scandal helped ease that pain), but I'd take him back in a heartbeat. I miss his personality at the club. We don't have any driven b******s at the clubs right now. Say what you will about the man. He was willing to do whatever it took for the club from the moment he stepped on the pitch to the moment he stepped off.

Here's to you, Luis!
Our Squad - Page 38 Luis_Suarez_2766307b
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Apparently Ake is being considered to be sold. Man I would love to have him on this team. Reminds me of a more talented version of Flanagan. Same heart and hard tackling. The best part is that he can play a variety of positions well (though I would love to have him as our DM).

I still feel the same about players that need to go, but I've added Benteke to that list. Even though he hasn't been horrible at times and has saved our bacon at others, he just doesn't seem to fit nor does he get the gametime needed to really grow into the team (IMO).

Moreno, Benteke and Mignolet should be out from our starting XI. Otherwise there's a lot to like about our current team and could really just use a world class player or two to bring them over the hump.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:23 pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mario-gotze-pros-cons-liverpool-11107377 Seriously hmm
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:25 am

Games-Goals-Mins Played

Coutinho: 35-11-2693
Firmino: 41-9-2728
Origi: 30-9-1535