Robespierre
Vibe
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Football is over - Page 2 Empty Re: Football is over

Post by Thimmy Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:41 am

Myesyats wrote:
Thimmy wrote:I'm a milennial.. and it looks like you're about the age my great grandfather was when he passed away hmm

Technology and production quality have definitely gone up across the board, but I do think creativity and originality have gone down. Boomers and beyond would complain about things being too new and different, that's definitely not the case nowadays.

Meh imo it's all a matter of preference but obviously there's only so many love songs and coming of age movies you can make before it starts being painfully repetitive

Fashion has definitely improved overall and I have no idea how you can claim otherwise...I dread thinking about all these awful baggy clothes, hideous colorways and bell bottoms

Movie industry may be struggling but we have a golden age of TV series, especially the 2010s whereas there are very few notable TV series from the 80s/90s apart from animated ones

Music is now more commercialized and feels copy+paste for sure, but if you look outside of the pop stuff there's plenty of creative and inventive authors, but then again for boomers computer generated sounds aren't "real music".

The example of boxing is true, but on the flip side, nowadays we have the golden age of UFC/MMA and plenty of people woke up at 4am to watch it in our time zone

Now when it comes to football, the lore when we were falling in love with the sport was definitely superior to modern social media playboyism, which... isnt as enchanting. But the quality of football and tactical warfare is still great. And what Cas said, high level players are less talented, there's more of  just "clogs in the machine" type of players. And obviously the obscene amounts of money which makes everything feel more superficial. Players are mercenaries and dont care for the club, it's a rarity when they genuinely do

I think you're replying to the wrong person. I've never been a follower of boxing. I absolutely agree that fashion has improved. Sometimes, simplicity is better Laughing

- I do remember Mike Tyson vs Holyfield, though. I didn't watch the match, I wasn't old enough to watch it, but it was HUGE at the time.

Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:01 pm

Fashion improved, really ?? Laughing Laughing

Women dress like whores as they did before and men switched their baggies for metrosexual tight clothes and take care of their hair. Went from bad to bad, it's a change but it's not an improvement.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:04 pm

fellas, is it gay to take care of your hair? hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:08 pm

El Gunner wrote:fellas, is it gay to take care of your hair? hmm

No offense intended, but I haven't heard a question like that since back in middle school Laughing

Look at it this way - I imagine you're less likely to attract any women by not taking care of your hair.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:09 pm

This thread :bow:
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:09 pm

Nothing to do with gays but i think i get what you mean

Men haircuts these days lacks virility imo
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:12 pm

@Thimmy i shave my head every few months and women love it. From my experience it's a myth that men must take care of their looks to impress women. Maybe superficial niche bourgeois girls would look down on me but should i really care tbh ??
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:16 pm

However it does bring hope, that Disney is finally being hurt by ruining movies as an art form. Needs to probably happen in gaming too. Music is already completed, so anything we will ever get again is rehashing of old melodies.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:22 pm

Women definitely have started going for balds in recent years
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:26 pm

Warrior wrote:@Thimmy i shave my head every few months and women love it. From my experience it's a myth that men must take care of their looks to impress women. Maybe superficial niche bourgeois girls would look down on me but should i really care tbh ??

You take care of your hair by shaving it then. I was referring to not taking care of it at all. That's not appealing to anyone, lol. People have different ways of taking care of their hair. Whether or not it's considered to be "gay" is subject to individual interpretation. Either way, I don't think people should care about appearing gay or being interpreted as gay, as long as they themselves know that they aren't.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:42 pm

Well except hobos whose hair are 2 meters long i don't think anyone don't care AT ALL of their hair rofl there is a strict minimum necessary in society be it only to find a job
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:02 pm

This thread has gone so badly off topic I think Redoranje might be tempted to log in and sort us out.

From football to movies to fashion to gays to hairstyles and now hobos
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:15 pm

It's fine if it goes off-topic. Moderating something so vast to stay on topic is the death of conversation.

Futbol I agree in general but in Boxing's argument the problem is that there is no unifying organization itself. You'll never see top fights these days since each fighter is marinaded, fed cans and avoiding other top prospects to keep their stock up. Garcia v Tank or Spence v Crawford prime examples to Usyk v Fury. In UFC it's mandatory which brings up MMA is a counter-example to your point.

I dont think individually picking apart criteria works but there is the feeling that with the population at now 8 billion and crisis such as generations having less sex to the music industry being dominated by AI to voice control to singers being overtaken by creative control boards are examples.

I agree with your general sentiment but we will only get to see in hindsight how well this generation has fared. If do take the example of the early 2000s though, nothing has aged well. Music, fashion, gaming, nothing.

If you take my example that at some point certain categories "have peaked" then I will agree with you.

In Football it's more a collective game where a Pep is playing players like they are chess pieces rather than individual building of the player itself but that's also as a result of the game evolving itself.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm

now i understand why Warrior is a Pep fan...

i love my hair long these days after years of military school rules of having to keep it schoolboy short. Only shame is i have more of my African genes in my hair, dryness becomes a problem the longer it grows.

ideally this would have been my favourite hairsyle...

Football is over - Page 2 Curly-Hair-Undercut-Fade-Men
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:21 pm

Fellas is it gay to literally walk around with a pen*s in your pants??

Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:25 pm

Myesyats wrote:

by 2040, probably
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:41 pm

“And what there is to conquer
By strength and submission, has already been discovered
Once or twice, or several times, by men whom one cannot hope
To emulate - but there is no competition -
There is only the fight to recover what has been lost
And found and lost again and again: and now, under conditions
That seem unpropitious. But perhaps neither gain nor loss.
For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business.”

profound
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:53 pm

Philosophy now

Prime GL :bow:
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:17 pm

Thank you Vibe for resurrecting the forum. What a great guy
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:19 pm

Myesyats wrote:

Is it gay to masturbate ? You are literally stroking some dude's dick Laughing
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:26 pm

Meh. Everything people have said here people have been saying for a long time. Football has been getting more collective and professional since the 70s, probably earlier too. For instance, here's Valdano's comments in the mid-00s era that Vibe praised with his nostalgia-tinted glasses:

Writing in Spain's best-selling newspaper, Marca, Valdano insisted: "Football is made up of subjective feeling, of suggestion - and, in that, Anfield is unbeatable. Put a shit hanging from a stick in the middle of this passionate, crazy stadium and there are people who will tell you it's a work of art. It's not: it's a shit hanging from a stick.

"Chelsea and Liverpool are the clearest, most exaggerated example of the way football is going: very intense, very collective, very tactical, very physical, and very direct," he added. "But, a short pass? Noooo. A feint? Noooo. A change of pace? Noooo. A one-two? A nutmeg? A backheel? Don't be ridiculous. None of that. The extreme control and seriousness with which both teams played the semi-final neutralised any creative licence, any moments of exquisite skill.

"If Didier Drogba was the best player in the first match it was purely because he was the one who ran the fastest, jumped the highest and crashed into people the hardest. Such extreme intensity wipes away talent, even leaving a player of Joe Cole's class disoriented. If football is going the way Chelsea and Liverpool are taking it, we had better be ready to wave goodbye to any expression of the cleverness and talent we have enjoyed for a century."

Valdano explained why Benítez and Mourinho were to blame for the demise of flair and creativity. "The lives of Mourinho and Benítez have crossed in a world that is ever more scrutinised and exposed by the media, which is why they look at each other with such distrust," he wrote, "but they have two things in common: a previously denied, hitherto unsatisfied hunger for glory, and a desire to have everything under control.

"Both of those things stem from one key factor: neither Mourinho nor Benítez made it as a player. That has made them channel all their vanity into coaching. Those who did not have the talent to make it as players do not believe in the talent of players, they do not believe in the ability to improvise in order to win football matches. In short, Benítez and Mourinho are exactly the kind of coaches that Benítez and Mourinho would have needed to have made it as players."

The death of creativity is objectively bad. But the rising tactical standards are also objectively good. It means that the level is higher. Football has never been as much of a collective game as it is now. And you can see it in the number of upsets at the recent World Cup. It's not enough to have the best players any more, you have to make them play like the best team.

The problem with the current era is that the FA has been able to leverage the Premier League into an absolutely dominant force, leaving everyone else in the dust. This leads to an incredible concentration of talent. There's instances like Mahrez going from a player a successful team was built around to a bench warmer at City. And we the fans are deprived of his contributions (or were, at his peak). Football has become the plaything of petro-states and oligarchs and we're all worse off for it.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:41 pm

Just like many other things in the world football has just become more n more extreme as said above great post by BC Razz

I normally dont care much since I like to watch star studded teams, but for some reason recently whenever I watch for example Chelsea I really do get the feeling its messed up, just a team full mix of expensive players but playing awful n ineffective boring football... but I do like Man C, Barca, Real, PSG, etc., still Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:20 pm

I don't think I can be as eloquent as you guys, not at this hour, to answer this lovely thread and BC pretty much explained what I feel (as well as Valdano apparently).

However, football is not over, not even close but I genuinely miss the spontaneity of players. The creativity of a man with a football at his feet and the talent to pull off ridiculous shit. It's not consistent at all but it's always a joy to see.

Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:20 pm

Oil clubs aren't the reason for super teams its Barca and Madrid who caused that shit. Laughing
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:55 am

Bullshit. Oil teams would've stacked the deck regardless if Madrid didn't exist, we all know it.
Also when did Barca ever have a super team?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:07 am

True tbh. Barca nursed their talents, and their attempts at superteam with buying Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann and others for 500 million failed pretty miserably.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next