M99
Pedram
CBarca
The Demon of Carthage
Freeza
47 posters

Page 40 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

Go down

USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:10 pm

Yeah I was thinking that Snorlax probably saved some poor guy's life...

VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:22 am

McLewis wrote:

And these 2 morons appealed their termination. They lost.

The really wild thing here to me is they would likely get Qualified Immunity if they were to kill someone in pursuit of this pokemon.

Wow. You cannot make this stuff up. And they appealed.. these “officers” have zero dignity. Laughing

Hopefully with social media and the fact that there’s more exposure in general will show who the clowns are. You can’t have a few “bad apples” when it comes to the police. A few “bad apples” is a disaster for anyone involved.. especially minorities and people in danger.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:26 pm

Another victim of this country's refusal to bring the 2nd amendment into the 21st century.

Only here will idiots fucking around with a gun not get charged for killing a person.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:00 pm

"accidentally" shooting a gun should earn you a negligence suit at least, manslaughter in this case
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:03 pm

We seriously should have a travel advisory put on us by other countries due to the gun violence that is rampant here. I am not joking.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:14 pm

Just saw a video of a Karen at a school board meeting (or whatever it's called) threatening to bring her loaded guns to school because of a mask mandate Laughing

2nd amendment in practice
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:02 am

McLewis wrote:We seriously should have a travel advisory put on us by other countries due to the gun violence that is rampant here. I am not joking.

is it really that bad? or is it just a case of media attention making it seem more prominent than it really is? (not implying that these cases shouldn't get media attention, but it's also obvious gun control is another Dem v Rep political tactic in America)
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:40 am

It's bad if we're talking about supposed "first world" countries yeah. In terms of safety index they never rank high

Last time I checked they were #122 on the global peace index which is absolutely awful
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:35 pm

yea but is it bad enough where travellers have to genuinely think twice about visiting the US, is what i mean? i want stats like 1 out of every million traveller is truly in danger of getting shot, because those are probably the odds.

And then of course, the city/area matters too.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:59 pm

McLewis wrote:

Another victim of this country's refusal to bring the 2nd amendment into the 21st century.

Only here will idiots fucking around with a gun not get charged for killing a person.

What a terrible country lmao. As a teenager I used to think "it would be so cool to do a road trip or something in the USA", but nowadays you'd have to pay me to go there.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:36 am

Nonsense. The US is a massive country. A lot of these shootings happen in low income areas. I promise you it isn’t the norm.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:58 am

If I was a black tourist, I'd honestly be not too easy about taking a scenic road trip holiday along route 66
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:22 pm

El Gunner wrote:
McLewis wrote:We seriously should have a travel advisory put on us by other countries due to the gun violence that is rampant here. I am not joking.

is it really that bad? or is it just a case of media attention making it seem more prominent than it really is? (not implying that these cases shouldn't get media attention, but it's also obvious gun control is another Dem v Rep political tactic in America)

I'm 100% serious about what I said. If I'm the foreign minister of any country, I'm putting out a travel advisory to my country's citizens warning them to be wary of gun violence in the US and to take proper precautions to not become victims. I personally live in an area that is pretty quiet. That doesn't necessarily mean its safer. It just means the chances of me catching a bullet unexpectedly are higher. Any day of the week, at any hour, I could be a victim of gun violence simply be choosing to go to the store at the wrong time and at the wrong place.

FennecFox7 wrote:Nonsense. The US is a massive country. A lot of these shootings happen in low income areas. I promise you it isn’t the norm.

See my response above.

And I'll point out that this happened in the same low income areas that neither major political party has any interest in actually helping. I don't know why that doctor was here, but given he was in Atlanta (one of the blackest cities in the country), I'm quite sure many of his patients were likely people of color from underserved communities. The sad thing is he likely would've die had he decided to go to the South Side of Chicago, to Queens, to the East or West Side of Detroit, Oakland, South Philly, Boston, or any other number of areas with high concentrations of poverty. Hell, he could've been living in Appalachia with the Mountain people or living in KY or WY coal country and still would've caught a bullet. Poverty breeds crime. And crime breeds violence. Where wouldn't he have caught one? Any area of true affluence. The chances of his dying of a stray bullet in Beverly Hills or the Hamptons......are extremely slim to none.

Had the problems plaguing communities, like the one he died in, been truly addressed and conditions improved, this doctor may very well be alive today.

This country's failure to reckon with its dangerous obsession with guns is directly responsible for his death. It goes far beyond a few idiots fucking around with guns. And people who just don't want to hear this stuff refuse to understand that.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:15 am

McLewis, what do you say to Fennecfox, who says in his part of Texas (I think it was)? He feels safe and he needs his gun primarily as he doesn’t trust police. I may be paraphrasing this a bit, but that is what I believe he was saying in an earlier post.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:31 am

Canada has a website that gives advice to travelers in every country. On USA's page you can find a guide on how to act during mass shootings.

USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 40 Travel11
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:54 am

futbol_bill wrote:McLewis, what do you say to Fennecfox, who says in his part of Texas (I think it was)? He feels safe and he needs his gun primarily as he doesn’t trust police. I may be paraphrasing this a bit, but that is what I believe he was saying in an earlier post.

I would say where ever he is in Texas is likely vastly different from what I see here in Michigan. Our experiences are not all that comparable, unless we live in metro areas near large cities....and even then, it's still different culturally. I would say we have different definitions, ideologies and worldviews of what is "safe".

I will also say that there's something to be said for the inconsistency of not trusting police to protect us, yet giving them stupidly large budgets to do what.....continue not protecting us? That is a source of significant cognitive dissonance that I truly cannot logic out....likely because is utterly illogical.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:37 am

can't help but feel this is some extreme exaggeration on McLewis' part

sure be vigilant as a traveller in the States, but i wouldn't dread catching a bullet out of nowhere. Like that description Warrior posted, i believe it is rare and all about wrong place at the wrong time
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:03 am

There's no reason you can't both be wrong, though.

I'm sorry, I just love that sentence, what I mean is:
Gunner and Fennec are probably right that you can consciously avoid putting yourself in most of the danger relating gun violence, and the remaining risk is negligible.

McLewis is absolutely right that is a damn shame that this entails staying away from any neighborhood that isn't visibly affluent, which means that helping those communities will also be a danger, making it less likely for people to seek out to do so, exacerbating the problem yet more.

Also, the 'remaining risk is negligible' still means that it's higher than in any other developed country. Depends on your value of risk, I presume. Kinda like Covid or paragliding. Yeah you'll very likely be fine, but there is a non-zero chance you might die, both because you didn't assess the risk correctly, but also even if you did due to just plain chance.

Violence, and gun violence, is ultimately everywhere in the world. But the degrees are really varying, and McLewis is right in that it really is a constant threat in the US. Doesn't mean you have to constantly fear it, but you should probably think about doing something about the whole situation.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:45 am

How you doing, Viva?

I hope noone you know was affected in the shooting yesterday.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:02 pm

El Gunner wrote:can't help but feel this is some extreme exaggeration on McLewis' part

sure be vigilant as a traveller in the States, but i wouldn't dread catching a bullet out of nowhere. Like that description Warrior posted, i believe it is rare and all about wrong place at the wrong time

Desensitization is a helluva drug.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:07 pm

Minimization is also a helluva a drug as well.

We Americans are fabulous at minimizing anything we truly don't want to think critically about. Anything we find inconvenient or disruptive to our worldview, we reduce into insignificance and obscurity.

We've deemed gun violence as something that's just going to happen. Something that can't be stopped for any myriad of reasons. Something that's just out of our collective control. It's defeatist, callous and borderline nihilistic. Most importantly, it's a choice. And we make it every day without blinking.

We've just become extremely desensitized  to the point where any effort to reverse it is seen as sensationalist or an over-exaggeration. It's surreal honestly.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:54 pm

Just to clarify a few things

McLewis, excessive police spending is not on my books. That’s a conservative view point and I don’t align myself with that. Overall, cops should be held to much higher standards, irregardless of pay, and if they have a problem with it, perhaps they should see the families of minorities and the like that have been persecuted for centuries in this country as well as the police brutality which is impossible to ignore

Bill, I don’t carry my gun around town, it’s not the Wild West over here. I am pro gun but I don’t see anything more then a handgun at my apartment as necessary in the situation of a robbery. The problem with making guns illegal is now you’ve created a black market. Making something illegal doesn’t make it go away. Proper education and upbringing does
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:09 pm

McLewis wrote:Minimization is also a helluva a drug as well.

We Americans are fabulous at minimizing anything we truly don't want to think critically about. Anything we find inconvenient or disruptive to our worldview, we reduce into insignificance and obscurity.

We've deemed gun violence as something that's just going to happen.

Thats not only you. People get desesintized to this kind of stuff if they're being fed propaganda. They begin to accept it as a ordinary/normal state of affairs
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:21 pm

We've deemed gun violence as something that's just going to happen. Something that can't be stopped for any myriad of reasons. Something that's just out of our collective control. It's defeatist, callous and borderline nihilistic. Most importantly, it's a choice. And we make it every day without blinking.

We've just become extremely desensitized  to the point where any effort to reverse it is seen as sensationalist or an over-exaggeration. It's surreal honestly.

dude i don't disagree with you that the US needs to find better solutions to their gun problem...
all im saying is, you're exaggerating by saying travellers should fear visiting the States
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:05 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:How you doing, Viva?

I hope noone you know was affected in the shooting yesterday.

Affected?
Well, one of my best mate was there as a reporter, another good mate is a doctor in the Universitätsklinikum, so we had some rough talks over a beer in the evening, cheering them up, but nobody I know got hurt.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:51 pm

FennecFox7 wrote:Just to clarify a few things

McLewis, excessive police spending is not on my books. That’s a conservative view point and I don’t align myself with that. Overall, cops should be held to much higher standards, irregardless of pay, and if they have a problem with it, perhaps they should see the families of minorities and the like that have been persecuted for centuries in this country as well as the police brutality which is impossible to ignore

It has to be more than that though. Police should not be able to determine their own budgets. Their unions should not have outsized influence in local politics. These things drive money into their coffers rather than where it will actually do good: in the neighborhoods that need it. The level of autonomy PDs have must be reduced if any meaningful progress is to occur. Training and holding them to higher standards are simply too passive.

Myesyats wrote:

We've deemed gun violence as something that's just going to happen.

Thats not only you. People get desesintized to this kind of stuff if they're being fed propaganda. They begin to accept it as a ordinary/normal state of affairs

This is more of of a "when" and not an "if". The propaganda has been around for several decades.

El Gunner wrote:

dude i don't disagree with you that the US needs to find better solutions to their gun problem...
all im saying is, you're exaggerating by saying travellers should fear visiting the States

If you truly believe it's perfectly safe for people to come here...that our police forces are capable of protecting them, I don't know what else to say other than I disagree vehemently with you. I'm not saying coming here will lead to certain death. I'm saying coming here isn't exactly a guarantee of safety, as that doctor in Atlanta just found out. He probably thought it was safe too...
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next