Great Leader Sprucenuce
Firenze
rincon
RealGunner
Thimmy
22 posters

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

The Official Final Fantasy thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Official Final Fantasy thread

Post by Blue Wed May 18, 2022 12:39 am

rincon wrote:
silver wrote:13 is better than 15...

Very much so. Recently I've been really wanting to play it again but there isn't a way to play it on PS4. I'd love a remaster of it, the game is already beautiful, just up the resolution to 4K and re-release it please.

In the end FFXV is the only FF game that I've played where I haven't done the postgame. It was good and fun and all, but less than the others.

Just finished FFVI yesterday for the first time. I had played it many years ago but things got in the way and had to drop it. What a GOAT game. It holds up exceptionally. No questions why so many of those who played it in 1996 think its the best game of all time.

Played FF6 when my friend was playing FF8, 8 was the new shiny game in town. Years later I still consider FF6 up there with 7 as the best RPG ever. Those old schools games can’t compare with the graphics of todays obviously, even with limited specs and graphics those games had much more realism. No game did it better in developing their characters than six. There maybe 1 character I didn’t care for, all were very interesting and unique.

Blue
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Official Final Fantasy thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Official Final Fantasy thread

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed May 18, 2022 2:05 am

6 is definitely the best game of the SNES era

The franchise peaked in the PS1 era with 7 and 9 , with 8 and Tactics being good entries

10 was a decent entry, and after that it's been kinda meh

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Wed May 18, 2022 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed May 18, 2022 12:56 pm

I really liked 8, personally. The more realistic art style appealed to me, and I thought it was different from previous installments in a good way. That definitely seems to be the most divisive entry in the series, though. Every time someone mentions it, people seem to express that they either hate it or love it. I'm surprised that you're describing it as decent.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed May 18, 2022 2:46 pm

Best part of 8 was Triple Triad. It was a decent game but almost everything (gameplay, characters, story) was a downgrade from 7. X was really good imo.

The series did not transition well to the new gen. Just give me a completed game that spans the entire world with no bullshit DLC or numbered sequels. Hopefully 16 is just that.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed May 18, 2022 5:31 pm

I think the combat has not transitioned well at all. The combat in FF15 was 'close your eyes and press x' which was pretty shit and pointless. The best part of the old FF games was that you had to calculate your every move and think about them carefully as it was turn based. Death was a regular thing.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed May 18, 2022 6:02 pm

FF7R was one of the most fun gameplay i've encountered. For me it was perfect
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed May 18, 2022 6:30 pm

Same, FF7R has the best action rpg combat I've ever played. They struc the right mix of ATB and action.

I hope FF16 has combat on that level. It looks to be more action oriented.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed May 18, 2022 7:30 pm

Yeah agreed on FF7R combat. But if Square want to they can make turn based combat again. The success of Yakuza LAD and Persona 5 in the west proves that there is a market for turn based combat unlike what Square thinks.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Thu May 19, 2022 2:57 am

Thimmy wrote:I really liked 8, personally. The more realistic art style appealed to me, and I thought it was different from previous installments in a good way. That definitely seems to be the most divisive entry in the series, though. Every time someone mentions it, people seem to express that they either hate it or love it. I'm surprised that you're describing it as decent.

8 was a very good game, it just not very memorable and on the same tier as the best in the franchise. It came out when FF were at their peak.

If I were to play 4,6,7, or even 9 for 5 minutes I would brought back so much great memories and it would be so vivid. Those games are burned into my memories.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Thu May 19, 2022 3:49 am

FF12 imo is the game I absolutely loathe and there are many who think it is a great game. 12 represents everything I hate about the modern RPG community. Terrible storyline+characters and pretty much everything what made classic rpgs so great. The game has lots of quests and chores, if you want a game that will kill lots of time it has that, unfortunately many gamers are addicts they play video games because they are addicted not because they enjoy it.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu May 19, 2022 4:12 am

My irrelevant thoughts on this wonderful topic...

8 was a very good FF if you look at it on its own steam and as M99 pointed out, triple triad was great but because it followed 7, from all accounts, it "sucked". It didn't but even I was looking for that level of experience I got from 7.

However, to me (and maybe only to me), I would rate 9 over 7. 9 honestly resonated with me on a personal level particularly with Vivi, that whole feeling of belonging and purpose. Shit, I still listen to the OST ever so often. Kuja was nowhere close to how influential Sephiroth is nor is Garnet, Vivi or Zidane to Squall, Vincent, Aerith and Tifa but I really felt 9's characters. Also, it went back to the whole "final fantasy" roots that I enjoyed, you know, a fantasy setting.

For my best among the single digits, well, 6. FF 6 is the perfect FF experience for me and to this date, it has not only the best villain in the entire series in Kefka but two of the best compositions in the series with Dancing Mad and Terra's theme. One of the few FFs that actually had such an expansive cast of characters with fleshed out (sort of) stories. Sigh, love that game. 4 was fantastic too if I am to be honest.

To me though, it seems it has been a slow progression into plain Jane town with the more modern titles. 10 was awesome, 10-2 was serviceable but I did love the dress change system, couldn't afford 11, 12 was very good, 13 fell to just decent, 14 is an online game so doesn't count for me and 15 was, well, incomplete as far as I am concerned. And with Square doing shitty things constantly, I HIGHLY doubt that we'll ever see the likes of the single digits versions or FF10 so I have zero hope for 16. Absolutely zero.

Also, 13 >>>>>> 15.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu May 19, 2022 1:32 pm

13 was worse, in my opinion. I rushed through the latter half of both of them. Lightning has the personality of a rock, and that game bored the hell out of me at times. I barely managed to finish it.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu May 19, 2022 6:04 pm

7, 8 and 9 are probably top 3 FF games for me. 8 is my personal favourite because i thought the story was something revolutionary (the entire past and future flashbacks). Also love the characters. Difficult to rank them but i think it was peak Final fantasy.

7 is most people's favourite for obvious reasons. It might have the best setting and characters and world. I still remember coming out of midgar and havign a wtf moment because i thought midgar was the world itself lol.

Agreed with Doc and blue about 9. The ending is still so memorable.

I hated FF13 and didn't bother finishing it. Loved FF15 for the first 5 hours but then realised what utter shit it is.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu May 19, 2022 10:37 pm

I liked the atmosphere of FF8. It's different from FF7 and 9.

7 was the first game I played, but I appreciate 7, 8 and 9 for not only being my personal favorites in the series, but also having different settings, art styles and soundtracks. A continuation of FF7 would have been cool and all, but again, I do appreciate that they went a relatively different route with 8 and 9 and still managed to create something memorable. In contrast, 10-13 felt like they all had so many similarities that they might as well have occurred in different parts of the same universe.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu May 19, 2022 11:59 pm

Whats funny is that almost EVERY FF game had significant cut content and can be described as unfinished.

7 was supposed to have Yuffie and Vincent be main characters instead of optional and factor into the main story like all the others.

8 was supposed to have Laguna get his own whole campaign with a world map that would run parallel to Squall's.

X was supposed to have the Zanarkand prologue be as big as Midgard in FF7.

15 really shit the bed. Such a shame because it had the bare bones of a generational game.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat May 21, 2022 6:34 pm

Outside of the unfinished content, 15 felt like an action adventure game with Final Fantasy elements in it. I honestly could not gel with it and only completed it fully because, well, they slapped Final Fantasy on the box.

But yeah, most of FFs had unfinished content but most also felt finished. Felt final and definitely felt like a fantasy.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Sun May 22, 2022 2:55 pm

FFVI is an example of the opposite situation. IIRC the world of ruin happened because the team was way ahead of schedule.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pm

Doc wrote:Outside of the unfinished content, 15 felt like an action adventure game with Final Fantasy elements in it. I honestly could not gel with it and only completed it fully because, well, they slapped Final Fantasy on the box.

But yeah, most of FFs had unfinished content but most also felt finished. Felt final and definitely felt like a fantasy.

Exactly this. I mean going around in cars exploring, listening to music was really cool at first but then you realise this is supposed to be a final fantasy game lol.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue May 24, 2022 1:57 am

M99 wrote:

15 really shit the bed. Such a shame because it had the bare bones of a generational game.

I've always said this yeah, its probably my biggest gaming disappointment ever because of that. Even more so than Cyberpunk, because as you say, the framework for 15 was there man, ffs. Need a remake one day.

Hyped for the upcoming one, expect it to be shown in June, release end of the year.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:33 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV5rIW1Qums
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:58 am

Definitely sounds like Yoko Shimomura took the reigns again with the score. Obviously could be wrong though.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:47 pm

Soundtrack is great but honestly that trailer looks shit
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:44 am

FF7 event last night delivered.

Crisis Core remaster for all platforms coming this winter.

FF7 Rebirth (remake part 2) coming next winter.

Ever Crisis coming this year. Might be the first "real" game made for mobile that I play, looks great.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:54 am

I still haven't played Crisis Core, so I'm definitely looking forward to that!
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:27 am

It's a PSP game from like 13 years ago so keep that in mind. That said, it's definitely my favorite PSP game, it gets a lot of love in a general.

On the positives the graphics and combat were great for a PSP game back then. The soundtrack is amazing. It has a strange mixture of very cringey writing with very compelling characters and story. Its also helped by the extremely strong ending that everyone knew was coming yet was handled in the best way, they nailed the tone of the story and the build up to the ending.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:55 pm

Yeah, I'm familiar with the game, I've just never actually played it. I was supposed to borrow it from a friend of mine over 15 years ago. Never happened! The Official Final Fantasy thread - Page 13 1f605
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next