Great Leader Sprucenuce
Firenze
rincon
RealGunner
Thimmy
22 posters

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

The Official Final Fantasy thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The Official Final Fantasy thread

Post by rincon Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:11 pm

Anyone playing it?

I'm on chapter 3, just starting. Trying to find every gap I can to play this but there isn't much time so far.

rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

The Official Final Fantasy thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The Official Final Fantasy thread

Post by Thimmy Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:46 am

rincon wrote:Anyone playing it?

I'm on chapter 3, just starting. Trying to find every gap I can to play this but there isn't much time so far.

I'm on chapter 10, I think. I have some issues with the game, but they are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. I've enjoyed the game so far. I think they've done some things very well with this game, but the game engine makes Rebirth feel more reminiscent of modern Final Fantasy games than the classic ones, and I'm personally not a fan of that approach. Most people probably won't mind it. I always thought that part of the charm of the older FF games was how the world building and character designs were distinctively different from the real world. I don't want to see segways and crap. I don't like what they did with the Fort Condor minigame. I've seen some comments online praising how they handled it. I was quite indifferent to it.

I like the combat system. It's not particularly challenging on normal mode, but it's surprisingly deep for those who want to challenge themselves and are patient enough to really consider how and when to optimally use synergy abilities and whatnot. All of the characters offer different strengths and weaknesses, and that's how it should be. There are a ton of things that I can nitpick on, but overall, it's been a good experience. I've completed every side quest in the game, and some of them are tedious as hell. The bring the chickens back one in
Spoiler:
is, by far, the worst one.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:40 am

I have never been a fan of this series infact I find it distasteful. Too cringe worthy, although I have finished Final fantasy XII on PS2 and I thought it was sublime.
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:24 pm

the xcx wrote:I have never been a fan of this series infact I find it distasteful. Too cringe worthy, although I have finished Final fantasy XII on PS2 and I thought it was sublime.

That’s a pretty unique opinion. I didn’t like FF12 very much, and it had the most cringey main character in the entire series. FF13 was arguably even worse, and FF15 suffered from development issues and was released in an incomplete, rather shallow state.

FF10 seems to be widely considered to be the best game in the series since the PS2. My personal favorites are 7, 8 and 9. FF7 Remake and Rebirth retain some of the cringey elements from the more recent games, but it improves on the original in terms of much better graphics, deeper, non- turn based combat system, more content and more fleshed out characters.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:27 am

Thimmy wrote:
I like the combat system. It's not particularly challenging on normal mode, but it's surprisingly deep for those who want to challenge themselves and are patient enough to really consider how and when to optimally use synergy abilities and whatnot. All of the characters offer different strengths and weaknesses, and that's how it should be. There are a ton of things that I can nitpick on, but overall, it's been a good experience. I've completed every side quest in the game, and some of them are tedious as hell. The bring the chickens back one in
Spoiler:
is, by far, the worst one.

I'm playing on dynamic difficulty which I think its the toughest one, but I'm not 100% sure. Its fairly tough so far, I would still like it a bit harder but this is probably the hardest FF in terms of combat. I wish we could play hard mode from the start.

I'm glad it picked up from Remake directly in terms of combat and in making each character very different from each other. Its pretty overwhelming at first but fun with materia, folios, synergies, 5 unique characters, etc. I defaulted to Cloud, Barret and Tifa and I'm trying more Red and Aerith now that I'm back into it.

Just completed all the sidequests and exploration in the grasslands and I'm about to go up to Junon.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:06 pm

There's a part in Cosmo Canyon that I think you'll like, Rincon. It was too cheesy and sentimental for me, but I get the impression that you're more into that kind of stuff based on our past disagreements regarding sentimental scenes in these games Razz
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:37 am

Thimmy wrote:
the xcx wrote:I have never been a fan of this series infact I find it distasteful. Too cringe worthy, although I have finished Final fantasy XII on PS2 and I thought it was sublime.

That’s a pretty unique opinion. I didn’t like FF12 very much, and it had the most cringey main character in the entire series. FF13 was arguably even worse, and FF15 suffered from development issues and was released in an incomplete, rather shallow state.

Cringey FF12? thats the most toned down game in the series, and until 16, the most serious one. I'm a big fan of the latter two, but the most cringey main characters are definitely Squall, Zidane and Tidus. Vaan is usually blamed for lack of impact in the story and mild characterization more than anything else.

Last edited by rincon on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:41 am

Thimmy wrote:There's a part in Cosmo Canyon that I think you'll like, Rincon. It was too cheesy and sentimental for me, but I get the impression that you're more into that kind of stuff based on our past disagreements regarding sentimental scenes in these games Razz

Lets see.

Got to play a lot yesterday, the Junon area has been amazing. Building on that first region without becoming repetitive. I was going to skip most of it for now to go up to the city, but the quests kept me engaged there and ended up exploring most of it.

Rebirth (and Remake) is capturing the FF7 tone perfectly. With all its silly and ridiculous stuff made even better, against the serious story. I wonder what you didn't like about fort condor, love that sidequest so far, wasn't expecting it at all. I think I have one more battle left.

Spoiler:
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:51 am

It’s been over 20 years since I played the original, so I don’t remember it well, but I do remember that I liked Fort Condor in the original. I think it was triggered as you were approaching Cosmo Canyon, and it felt meaningful to the story. Granted, I was probably not even a teenager when I played it, so it may have only seemed that way to me at the time. In Rebirth, it’s baked into a side quest like any other side quest.

Also, I don’t remember if there was a time limit in the original, but it felt like I had to rush through the stages in this version since the time limit doesn’t allow much room for strategy or building up your army. It’s more about the timing of when to deploy your heroes.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:55 am

rincon wrote:
Thimmy wrote:

Cringey FF12? thats the most toned down game in the series, and until 16, the most serious one. I'm a big fan of the latter two, but the most cringey main characters are definitely Squall, Zidane and Tidus. Vaan is usually blamed for lack of impact in the story and mild characterization more than anything else.

Not the game. Vaan, specifically. I think I’ve described before how frustrating it was to watch him cry for what felt like an eternity. I don’t think he was a particularly charming main character to begin with, but that one scene where he was crying and complaining made me dislike him more than any other FF main character. I don’t remember much from the game itself, but it wasn’t very memorable to me.

FF7-10 are my favorites. I did like 6, but I played it relatively recently and I don’t think it lived up to all of the hype surrounding the game and it’s characters. 12, 13, 15 are all games I could’ve easily skipped and I’d have no regrets.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:08 pm

Fort Condor was in the same spot, near Junon. It was Junon rebels defending the condor from Shinra. I think that the Crow's Nest "rebel" base was made to expand on this (that's where I am atm).

The original minigame was a lot simpler with the same premise. Shinra soldiers are walking towards the condor through a couple of lanes and you to have to place units to repel the attack.

It was optional until a late game moment that I guess will still come in part 3. Since the condor is there and there a rebel town it looks like they will expand on that too.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:10 pm

I was wondering what they would do with it since it was the main minigame of Remake's DLC. I'm glad they brought it back, enjoyed it a lot in Remake.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:44 pm

Oddly enough I recently played XV as it's free on PS Plus, no need to rush VII Rebirth for the full price.

I almost didn't touch it based on the lukewarm reviews but ended up liking it. Some of the flaws seem so simple to fix.

The combat system is basically hold the circle button. Especially when you are overleveled you do just that. Hold circle. I didn't get a Game Over even once after more than 80 hours. Magic is completely useless as you always hit your friends with it. I tell myself this is the first real open world Final Fantasy and at least it sacrificed itself as a beta build for 7 Remake/Rebirth to be born.

Way too many bounty sidequests that allow you to be overpowered already in chapter 3. I have this habit of doing sidequests first as I'm scared I'll lose the opportunity once I progress. So I did all possible bounty sidequests in chapter 3 and was already level 65+.

Pacing of the story. Up until chapter 9 you are essentially chilling with your bros, cruising in your convertible, listening to FF7 and 8 soundtracks and then all of a sudden shit goes down, the main character turns from K-Pop boyband leader to John Wick and the game ends within 10 hours, while the female lead character gets 5 minutes of (mostly flashback) screentime.

I still liked it a lot, the connection between the bros was believable, I found traveling the open world, fishing and hunting feints to be really relaxing for large parts and the character development at the end was really nice, I think a lot of people dropped tears there.

A better combat system, more cutscenes and storytelling without outsourcing it to a whole movie and several DLCs, better balancing and sidequests that aren't so repetitive ("go there, bring that", "go there, kill that") and this could have been a masterpiece. If any game ever really needed a Remaster ...

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:01 pm

Just wanted to say I appreciate seeing that you're still around futbol and hope things are well for you in life
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:41 pm

Same!
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:43 pm

I finished Final Fantasy Rebirth a while ago, then moved on to Dragon's Dogma 2, and now I'm playing Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin story.

I can't tell if it's a satire and it's trying to be funny, while at the same time posing as a serious story based on the first Final Fantasy game, but I really enjoy the job system and DMC/Nioh- like combat in this game. I'm not sure why the online reviews are so underwhelming, but I'm sure I'll find out why eventually.

Hopefully, it's not too long a game because I pre-ordered Stellar Blade as well. Been playing a lot of games this year since school's been more laidback than usual.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:25 pm

I'm so burned out on gaming lol, gonna try to fit in Persona 3 b4 Elden Ring

I finished Dragons Dogma 2 a few days ago...decent game with a terribly rushed and thin story. Laughably bad execution tbh. Still had fun with it but it has lots of issues, enemy variety one of the big ones given how much of the game revolves around exploration...you've seen it all after 4 hours.

edit: thought this was general games thread, it isnt, oh well
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:33 pm

Firenze wrote:I'm so burned out on gaming lol, gonna try to fit in Persona 3 b4 Elden Ring

I finished Dragons Dogma 2 a few days ago...decent game with a terribly rushed and thin story. Laughably bad execution tbh. Still had fun with it but it has lots of issues, enemy variety one of the big ones given how much of the game revolves around exploration...you've seen it all after 4 hours.

Yeah. It’s a decent game, but it also has plenty of flaws. I never played the first Dragon’s Dogma, but if it’s worse than the second one, then I probably won’t ever play it. I did feel a bit burnt out after finishing it. It’s not a bad game, but it still felt a bit too hollow and repetitive for my liking. The good, creative ideas don’t quite compensate for what’s lacking in the game.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:51 pm

CBarca wrote:Just wanted to say I appreciate seeing that you're still around futbol and hope things are well for you in life

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Same!

Thanks guys, wish you the same!

I'm not much into football anymore (couldn't tell you off the top of my head who won the CL last season Laughing) but I return to GL once in a while to take a peek. I'll always have fond memories of this place and all the glorious years of banter with you guys.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16