Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 33 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by danyjr Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
danyjr wrote:I've never played any of the DMC games. Should I play the original 3 HD remake, then 4, then 5? Or can I jump right into 5 without missing out on the story/character background?

On the main menu there's a quick video which explains the back story, i feel like the game does a decent job of not confusing new players.

Suppose it depends on how much investment you want to put into the franchise really.
Cool thanks. I think I'll just play DMC 5 then. Are any of the other games in the series better than 5 though? I don't want to miss a masterpiece.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Finished it. Its full of fanservice. Fan favorite boss basically get next gen versions in this game. Thought some of Dante's weapons were introduced way too late in the game.

Spoiler:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 pm

danyjr wrote:
danyjr wrote:I've never played any of the DMC games. Should I play the original 3 HD remake, then 4, then 5? Or can I jump right into 5 without missing out on the story/character background?

On the main menu there's a quick video which explains the back story, i feel like the game does a decent job of not confusing new players.

Suppose it depends on how much investment you want to put into the franchise really.
Cool thanks. I think I'll just play DMC 5 then. Are any of the other games in the series better than 5 though? I don't want to miss a masterpiece.

It’s difficult to give you a definite answer to that question. DMC3 is probably the game I enjoyed the most, overall. DMC4 felt more updated, with the same combat system that Dante has in DMC5 (switch styles using directional buttons) which I personally enjoyed. The DMC reboot is different. It’s a short, more westernized game that felt a bit dumbed down to me, but the overall experience was fun.

The reboot has more colorful art, simple and slick battle moves, and generally feels like a more condensed game that probably appeals more to people with short attention spans, and does it’s best in making it so that nothing ever feels too stale or repetitive. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. The DMC reboot is short, uncomplicated fun.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks @Thimmy. Have you played the Bayonetta games? I enjoyed Bayonetta 2 a lot and I heard DMC is similar to Baynetta series.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Bayonetta was basically influenced directly by DMC, think of it as a Tomb Raider to Uncharted situation.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 pm

danyjr wrote:Thanks @Thimmy. Have you played the Bayonetta games? I enjoyed Bayonetta 2 a lot and I heard DMC is similar to Baynetta series.

I played the first one, and I thought it was great. I never played the second one since it’s only on Nintendo systems, but yeah, the combat in both games have similarities.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:47 pm

I think there is one thing to copy a game and another to be influenced by it and try to improve it. Uncharted series are an improvement over Tomb Raider, I wonder if Bayonetta is to DMC as well.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Old devs from Left 4 Dead are making a Left 4 Dead style game hmm

Two co-op based games announced in consecutive days Proud
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02 pm

danyjr wrote:

3 > 1 > 2 > 4

3 and 1 are considered as good as hack and slash got for their Gen and very influential, not sure if "masterpiece" status though
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:04 pm

I haven't played 4 but that would be my order for the original trilogy as well.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Agree with Gopher's review, it's bloody brilliant. I would say that from any rpg, it has the best graphics and best combat. But what's best about it are the guests. Which is kind of strange when the setting is limited to non fantasy. But that just may be it. There's no hundreds repeats of go there and kill that monster with different color or hair. The guests feel extremely real, they're interesting, they have multiple ways of completion, and fail, and there's choices and consequenses. More of the same please.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Possibly the best RPG I've played after New Vegas. I never finished the game but God I must have spent 80 hours on it already.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:10 pm

It's great, I didn't believe we would still get an old school rpg like this, which isn't streamlined to high hell to attract casual players. But they had the best ingredient for it, private company. Will be interesting to see what kind of modding tools they release, if THQ has some say on that, as the last dlc should release soon. It'll mostly decide if the game becomes timeless classic like Fallout/Tes/Baldur's Gate etc.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Tbh I'm not even an RPG fan (first RPG I played was probably Mass Effect if you can even call it an RPG), nevertheless I was impressed by how deep this game was, from gameplay mechanics to the combat and how many ways you could play it. Oh and the progression in this game truly feels like progression. Coming from practically a nobody who would lose a fist fight to a pretty decent swordman (and beyond) felt so good Very Happy

My only gripe with it is that for the first 10 hours I was overwhelmed by the various mechanics in the game and the lack of a suitable tutorial for all of them.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Each time Harmonica brings up Kingdom Come it brings up in my mind how tentative I am to play it.

Fresh off Witcher 3 it really is the opposite of it in its muted colours, simulated combat (my main attraction when it comes to it), totally average bystander as a main character and of course being set in a historical Bohemian time.

Graphically it looks off is my only gripe with it and given how much I value graphics and shamelessly so that has me more hesitant.

But more so its the fact that it is such an obvious non-linear timesink that will have my completionist OCD side go haywire to which I cannot have at this point of my life.

I do know if I do get into it, the liking I have for the game will be high given how original it is and meticulously made.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:53 pm

BAFTA Games Awards nominations 2019

http://www.bafta.org/games/awards/bafta-games-awards-nominations-winners-2019
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm

RealGunner wrote:BAFTA Games Awards nominations 2019

http://www.bafta.org/games/awards/bafta-games-awards-nominations-winners-2019
My vote:

Artistic achievement: Detroit
Audio achievement: Tetris
Best game: RDR2
British game: RDR2
Debut game: (haven't played any)
Evolving game: Overwatch
Family: Super Mario Party (honourable mention Overcooked 2)
Game beyond entertainment: (haven't played any)
Game design: Into the Breach
Innovation: Moss
Mobile game: The Room
Multiplayer: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Music: Tetris
Narrative: RDR2 (honourable mention GoW)
Original property: Dead Cells (honourable mention Subnautica)
Performer: Kassandra of Sparta in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (honourable mentions RDR2's Arthur Morgan and GoW's Kratos)
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 pm

danyjr wrote:Tbh I'm not even an RPG fan (first RPG I played was probably Mass Effect if you can even call it an RPG), nevertheless I was impressed by how deep this game was, from gameplay mechanics to the combat and how many ways you could play it. Oh and the progression in this game truly feels like progression. Coming from practically a nobody who would lose a fist fight to a pretty decent swordman (and beyond) felt so good  Very Happy

My only gripe with it is that for the first 10 hours I was overwhelmed by the various mechanics in the game and the lack of a suitable tutorial for all of them.
Yeah progression of the game mechanics were done beautifully. Reading particularly, as you could look texts, but it was a complete world salad before you learnt how to read, not to mention you could read in bed, toilet etc. I actually wish there was a digestion mechanic in the game, maybe mods. Very Happy The monk simulation and translating latin was one of the highlights of the game for me. It was so well done.

Arguitescu, yeah KCD is pretty far from Witcher, or any rpg actually other than Mount&Blade, because of the non fantasy medieval simulation setting, although they are different games too. If you like that kind of thing it's time sink and will probably take 100 hours to complete without rushing.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Finished DMC5

Think it's my favourite in the series, it's certainly the best combat and story in the series IMO. The only thing that's holding me back is i think they use similar levels way too much.

Better level design and it wouldn't even be close, but even then it's probably still the best and if not it's really close.

Spoiler:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:50 pm

I think they could've added more color to the levels where it was possible to do so, as well. It goes a long way in making them feel less monotonous and repetitive. Personally, I wish Nero had a combat feature that served as an alternative to his robotic arms. Whenever I ran out of them, all he had left was his basic sword slashing abilities and the rope he uses to pull enemies in.

I'm just not a big fan of consumable items being a key part of his fighting repertoire, I don't want to waste red souls on something that's fundamental to the character's fighting style. The fact that you can't freely switch between his different arms, resulted in me rushing to pick a favorite one, and simply stacking up on that one type of arm, as opposed to switching them up depending on the situation - which would've made him a much more interesting character to play as. I'm sure they'll improve on that in the next game.

If they're going to make Nero the main character at some point, they definitely should make it so that he can acquire weapons similar to those over the top ones that Dante's has always gotten from the beasts, devils and demons you beat with him. There are a lot of things they could potentially add to that missing arm of his.

Last edited by Thimmy on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:55 pm

It's not flawless obviously, i don't disagree with any of your complaints about Nero's playstyle.

I didn't care once Dante became available though lol, he's so amazing to play as that it didn't even matter Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:58 pm

I didn't expect it to be flawless. Just pointing out the things I think they can improve on. Dante is awesome. I don't know how I feel about his friggin MJ hat, but his combat features made him a lot more fun to play as, compared to flaccid arm Nero.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:04 am

Thimmy wrote:I didn't expect it to be flawless. Just pointing out the things I think they can improve on. Dante is awesome. I don't know how I feel about his friggin MJ hat, but his combat features made him a lot more fun to play as, compared to flaccid arm Nero.

Yeah i didn't mean to come across that i thought you did either.

I think the thing with Nero is you're supposed to break his devil breakers for combo ability to maximize his potential.

But at the same time that costs red orbs to replenish and you don't want to spend on that instead of abilities and other combos.

It just seems counter productive.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 am

Thimmy wrote:I didn't expect it to be flawless. Just pointing out the things I think they can improve on. Dante is awesome. I don't know how I feel about his friggin MJ hat, but his combat features made him a lot more fun to play as, compared to flaccid arm Nero.

Yeah i didn't mean to come across that i thought you did either.

I think the thing with Nero is you're supposed to break his devil breakers for combo ability to maximize his potential.

But at the same time that costs red orbs to replenish and you don't want to spend on that instead of abilities and other combos.

It just seems counter productive.

Exactly. I really hope they improve on that in DMC 6. I liked playing as Vergil in DMC 3 "special edition" (I think it was that one). His Katana's sword swings just felt so much faster and lighter than Dante's, and that alone made him so much fun to play as. His quick and elegant fighting style was refreshingly different from Dante's more rough and heavy approach to combat. He also had his own abilities with short-ranged teleport and stuff. It felt like switching to him had more of a sense of purpose. Nero just feels like a poor man's Dante that you'd rather avoid when you have a choice Razz I get that he's supposed to be inexperienced, but his sword-based fighting style is too similar to Dante's, in my opinion, and his other alternatives.. I'd rather save the orbs.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next