Chumlum
Jay29
EL Patron
El Gunner
RealGunner
44 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 22 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:35 pm

RealGunner wrote:I'd take Icardi. Not better than Higuain but at least he is another 9 we desperately need.

I'd rather have Icardi and Giroud rather than just Higuain

VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 22 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Chumlum Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:47 am

Personally, I can understand frustration that we don't get things squared away more quickly, but I still don't understand why fans get furious about 'no signings' when (a) there have been signings - one big one, two promising cheap young ones, assuming Holding goes through, and (b) there are still 5+ weeks to the transfer window.

In early September if things look dire still we can say, "Damn, it didn't happen." But there's still time. Every big club in the PL is still looking to add a player, or several players, yet.

Chill.

Sports are about entertainment. Life is hard. Some Gooners are unnecessarily spiking their cortisol levels.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:31 am

Wise words, Chum!

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:48 am

I remember going with the "there's still time left" line last year Laughing

People can feel rightfully anxious when there's a long stretch of inactivty like there is now. Maybe we are working on deals but we're taking our time about it, and you can never be sure we can pull deals off these deals given the number of failures - Vardy, Mhkitaryan and even that Sidibe guy. Now we have this Higuain and Icardi stuff. As if we're pulling either of those off.

For me, the concern is greater this year because not only are our rivals strengthening but also because we need more players than usual to make a really competitive squad. It feels like Wenger is still in "two or three" more mode when that's only the bare minimum. We need five or six. It's going to be a very tough season and right now I'm not confident our current squad has the ability to compete.

But we'll see what happens. At the moment I'm seeing one too many similarities with last year's window - enough to think we won't do any more business this window.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:50 am

Quotes from Icardi:

“My families objective is to stay in Milan. I’ve never hidden the fact that my family is happy here + that goes for Wanda + the kids."

“Milan is our home. This is the reason why she is talking to the club. The aim is to find a solution.”

“I am here + I am happy here. That’s what I’ve always said. I have a contract with Inter until 2019, they’re my club."

"I’m not interested in rumours + I don’t give a lot of weight to what is said + written in the media. Everyone knows my intention."

We're being used to get him a new contract. Nothing more.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:01 am

Sounds about right.

Why again aren't we on Bacca?

And did we really miss out on Mkhitariyan? Laughing

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:12 am

You should be getting Higuain. PERIOD.

He wants to leave. It's between Juve and you. Napoli don't want to sell to Juve.
Just do it ffs. You have the money, easily.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:17 am

Supposedly Mhkitaryan was swayed to United by a much larger salary (and a more convincing project as well, I bet) despite interest from us. At the very least it's one of those players we could have/should have signed but didn't.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Man Utd + Jose - Europe >>>>> AW @ Arsenal + 17 years of 4th Place trophies.

Yeah, sounds about right.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:39 pm

http://thesetpieces.com/features/transfer-window-myth-busting/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Di Marzio claiming Atletico Madrid have met €40mil clause for Kevin Gameiro.

Good enough for Atleti, but not us?

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:08 pm

I don't disagree, Jay et al, with criticism of how Arsenal have handled the transfer window thus far, and how the club may prove subpar overall.

I just don't understand the panic at this point in the summer. Man City were reported to have a bunch of targets; they've to date still only nailed down two. Chelsea? Two. Spurs? Two.

Man Utd, particular if Pogba is confirmed, are maybe the only big club in England who've been impressively proactive in getting some players who will improve them - and I'd say Man Utd were going into 2016/2017 with more problems than Arsenal, frankly. Liverpool have also done good business IMO but they're targeting, partly, a slightly lower echelon of target than the CL clubs.

Do I want to see Wenger & Co. make some shrewd and perhaps expensive signings early? Absolutely. But getting Xhaka done quickly, and not dithering on the price, was a good move in itself. Asano and Holding are low-risk investments. Arsenal's attempt to get Vardy shows that the club are at least actively trying to secure extra attacking contributions. Common sense would indicate that they are still actively trying elsewhere, regardless of what tabloids are--or are not--reporting. To me this feels mildly frustrating at most, right now, maybe also a little boring ... but not dire.

Also ... can't remember if I posted it or decided not to but I remember thinking a while back that Gameiro was one of those under-the-radar targets who might have been good for us.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:23 pm

The problem is that the window has been frustrating after Xhaka. You almost saw it coming after Cech last year.

Nobody is lusting after 100m strikers or huge money signings. But we should have done our groundwork, had our alternatives and back up plans laid down, and been swift when Vardy's decision was clear.

Instead, strikers comparable or even better than Vardy have indeed been on the move and we seem to have done nothing so far. That's the frustrating part.

I will not consider youth signings. Every club makes them. Ours just end up more in the spotlight because AW had to rely on youngsters in those dire, dark times. We're now beyond that and we only have to care about situations involving breakout talents like Bellerin.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Unlike Arsenal, these clubs don't have the reputation of entering the season unprepared. Arsenal fans deal with our shitty transfer dealings every year so it's not really surprising that most don't believe in this positive thinking BS.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:42 pm

This Gabriel Jesus kid that is going to Man City

He was the one we were linked with right?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:47 pm

Nope that was Gabriel Barbosa

there is also that Kylian Mbappé lad at Monaco we should not miss out on Clubber

all rivals buying big talents in attack
jealous
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Nevermind. saw we pulled out of Barbosa's deal as well.

I suppose Gnabry is good enough
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:25 pm

Sanogo got this.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Gazidis with a hugely encouraging interview here:

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/07/gazidis-talks-about-summer-spending-and-well/

He also belives our current squad is good enough to win the PL rofl

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:19 pm

We're going to sign the next Kante & Mahrez Proud
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Watford considering loan move for Arsenal defender Calum Chambers
http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/watfordfc/watfordfcnews/14636751.Hornets_interested_in_loan_move_for_Arsenal_defender_Calum_Chambers/?ref=rss

if this was to happen wouldnt mind Nyom coming our way and offloading Debuchy/Jenks
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Paid 16m for Chambers. Just saying.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:44 am

Lacazette has requested his club to leave, ffs how hard to put these two things together. He followed Barca twit, I will lose my shit if he join Barca to sit on the bench.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:58 am

Just for the sake of discussion, how much do you think Dybala would cost?

(Let's imagine for a moment that he wants to move this summer and is open to Arsenal.)
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:17 am

On some level, we don't want to invest in a Balotelli when a Welbeck might be available later in the window. I can understand that cautious approach.

However, what do you do when that Welbeck, who seems like a brilliant bargain, ends up not delivering due to form/injury/suspension/not settling or whatever?

Draw your parallels for this summer.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:54 am

Chumlum wrote:Just for the sake of discussion, how much do you think Dybala would cost?

(Let's imagine for a moment that he wants to move this summer and is open to Arsenal.)

About €90-€100M.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next