Hapless_Hans
McAgger
50 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Mahrez for POTY - Page 4 Empty Re: Mahrez for POTY

Post by farfan Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:43 pm

El Gunner wrote:

Mahrez is not a top class player yet in my book, and your obvious biased nationalism ass can cry about that all you want cuz I know where it's at.

Your " book" doesn't meant squat .the reality of the situation  is that Mahrez's individual contribution to his team so far  is  greater than any other player in the league .

But hey , i'm pretty sure Ozil will close the distance very soon  with a couple of  corner / free kick assists .  Rolling Eyes

farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:29 pm

But hey , i'm pretty sure Ozil will close the distance very soon  with a couple of  corner / free kick assists .

Ozil has one assist from a corner and one assist from a free-kick. The rest have been from open play.

I really don't see how anyone can claim either way that one player has been better than the other in such absolute terms. Mahrez and Ozil have been equally as good and as influential for their teams, and it'd be fair to say that neither Leicester or Arsenal would where they are in the table without them. The way I see it the difference between them is perception; what Leicester has done so far has defied all expectation so Mahrez's form is seen as a greater accomplishment than anyone else's, whereas what Ozil is doing is more expected in the sense that everyone knew he could perform to this level. Not that that should matter when it comes to the award, but it ultimately will.

We're not even halfway through the season, in any case, and there have been plenty of players who have great form up until January and then fade away in the second half of the season. Likewise, there have been teams who have been in unusually high positions going into Christmas but end up dropping down the table. History is against Mahrez in that sense so you can understand why some might not be entirely convinced.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:36 pm

That's why people use " so far " and " up to this point " . we know things can change between now and May.
Unless you're an Ozil or Arsenal fan, it's painfully obvious who's been the best player of the season so far .

Btw , when was the last time a winger hit double digits in the PL before January ?
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Samir Nasri, off the top of my head.

But here's the thing, I don't see how you can use the term "painfully obvious". Why is it obvious? Because he's scored more goals? Because he doesn't play for a so-called top side? How are you differentiating Mahrez's performances from Ozil's?

I'm not arguing who's been better here but Ozil has carried Arsenal so far as much as Mahrez has carried Leicester. Statistically there's little difference between them. Results-wise there's little difference between their teams as well. They've both influenced big games. They've both produced match winning moments. They've both been very consistent.

I really don't see what's separating them, besides the fact one plays for Leicester and the other for Arsenal. The differences are marginal at best.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Nasri did what ??? Laughing
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:09 pm

Hit double figure before jan
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:12 pm

Pretty sure he didn't . hmm
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:15 pm

Wish we could see what this season would look like for Arsenal without Ozil this season Laughing

It's unfair to Ozil. It's very easy to look at Leicester's play and say "this is incredible!" and see that Mahrez is leading it and say that he should be POTY. That's not even bad logic. I agree that he's probably the top contender right now with Ozil. He's been ridiculous and deserves it, and so does Vardy.

It's not as easy however to look at a team like Arsenal right now, who are doing about as well as they have done in previous seasons, and say that Ozil is really playing out of his mind. It's very easy to see Leicester's improvement, but it's not nearly as visible to see (because we don't see it due to Ozil's influence) how badly Arsenal would be doing this season WITHOUT Ozil. I'm not going to say they're pulling a Chelsea or anything, but there is no way they're where they are right now without Ozil.

As far as I'm concerned, Ozil has been carrying Arsenal this season. Unplayable right now, and it's his impact with Arsenal right now, as someone who has watched a decent amount of Arsenal this season, that leads me to agree with Mole that he really is right there with Mahrez right now. I'm seeing now, after reading this page a bit, that Jay is saying similar things. I agree with you 100% Jay.

EDIT: Must mention that one of the reasons I have watched a decent amount of Arsenal this season is specifically for Ozil. What a player to watch, probably my favorite right now with Neymar.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:20 pm

I think I am the only one noticing farfarce's subtle trolling

Doing a rather great job in riling up a lot of people tbh Laughing
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:15 pm

FFox wrote:Considering you are an Arsenal fan and all and yet I'm biased.. that seems a tad hypocritical. Yes, I support Algerian and Morrocan players more then anything else, but you don't see me saying scrubs like boudebouz and belfodil should be playing for top teams
What? Are you generalising here or what?
Or is it because of the topic of discussion. In that case, look at what other posters like Mole and CB have been writing. Their opinions are similar to mine.

I'm not saying Ozil has been better than Mahrez so far. I'm saying it's between them two, and Vardy. It's a toss up but for this following fact I'll probably go with Ozil...

GoonerJay wrote:I'm not arguing who's been better here but Ozil has carried Arsenal so far as much as Mahrez has carried Leicester. Statistically there's little difference between them. Results-wise there's little difference between their teams as well. They've both influenced big games. They've both produced match winning moments. They've both been very consistent.

Taking that comment from Jay, and the bolded part more in particular, Mahrez has actaully had a partner in crime in Vardy. Ozil hasn't had that. And don't tell me bull like Vardy wouldn't have had his goals if it wasn't for Mahrez. Vardy has been lively, hungry and efficient. And Mahrez isn't the only one assisting him. So solely based on that. Considering how close their numbers are, and their clubs' positions on the table, I would go with Ozil solely because he hasn't had anyone else in the Arsenal team to share the great contribution and influence he has brought so far.
And this is not even bias lad, like Hans told you, I'm not even the biggest Ozil fan out here.

farfan wrote:Unless you're an Ozil or Arsenal fan, it's painfully obvious who's been the best player of the season so far .
rofl rofl stay safe

farfan wrote:
El Gunner wrote:

Mahrez is not a top class player yet in my book, and your obvious biased nationalism ass can cry about that all you want cuz I know where it's at.

Your " book" doesn't meant squat .the reality of the situation  is that Mahrez's individual contribution to his team so far  is  greater than any other player in the league .

But hey , i'm pretty sure Ozil will close the distance very soon  with a couple of  corner / free kick assists .  Rolling Eyes

Sure in the general scheme of things, my "book" doesn't mean squat. But in terms of formulating my own opinion and presenting it to you either as an own personal statement or as an argument, it does then infact mean, well... something a bit more than squat, because why are we doing this discussion then and why are you replying to me?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Things like " i don't think he's world class "   or   " he wont be able to replicate his success in a big team "   shouldn't have any bearing on deciding who's been the best player in the league so far .
Not only that , these are entirely baseless assumptions  that don't advance the discussion .

Considering how close their numbers are, and their clubs' positions on the table, I would go with Ozil solely because he hasn't had anyone else in the Arsenal team to share the great contribution and influence he has brought so far.

Really ?  let's start with the players that are actually scoring goals since Ozil himself can't be bothered to do so  .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:58 pm

farfan wrote:Things like " i don't think he's world class "   or   " he wont be able to replicate his success in a big team "   shouldn't have any bearing on deciding who's been the best player in the league so far .
Not only that , these are entirely baseless assumptions  that don't advance the discussion .

Considering how close their numbers are, and their clubs' positions on the table, I would go with Ozil solely because he hasn't had anyone else in the Arsenal team to share the great contribution and influence he has brought so far.

Really ?  let's start with the players that are actually scoring goals since Ozil himself can't be bothered to do so  .

Ozil isn't a goal scorer. Our top goal scorer is Giroud. But our goals are more spread out than that of Leicesters.

Oh and yeah those quotes were more in reply to FFox and how I believe some people are getting over their head with the hype.

I don't use the opinion of whether I think he is not a top class player as a factor when it comes to deciding POTY. As I said, it's very close between him, Ozil and Vardy. But if I had to choose one for now, I'm going with Ozil based on the reason I provided.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:50 pm

All of Mahrez's goals+assists this season with commentary (except for the last one)

I have made sure to point out that the last one does not have commentary after receiving complaints of the last Vardy goal in his video not having commentary despite me saying all goals have commentary. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies to GL as whole for that error, especially to Hans and futbol who were particularly hurt by the deception. I never meant to cause any distress to my fellow members and I hope you believe me when I say no one was more deeply hurt than me when I realized the error in the Vardy thread. I was hurt because I realized that I hurt you all.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Relax. Noone was hurt. It was just that the last goal didn't have commentary so we were maybe a little taken aback.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:21 pm

Would've been top class banter if none of the goals had commentary Laughing
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:01 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:Relax. Noone was hurt. It was just that the last goal didn't have commentary so we were maybe a little taken aback.

No need to hide your pain from me. I take all the blame and the pain. You have my assurance that you will never go through such a traumatizing experience again.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:33 am

I made my own commentary on the last one, it was quite nice, so, no problem.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:12 am

For those Liverpool fans, Giggity and Farfan
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015/12/18/10273680/mesut-ozil-stats-arsenal-premier-league
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:13 am

No one is arguing Mahrez is the better playmaker . hmm
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:57 pm

:bow: :bow:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:03 pm

M69 Proud
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Mahrez: "I wasn’t nervous before my penalties - you choose a corner and shoot"

Unreal grace.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:47 pm

The closest pl player to Messi

Surprised he's not playing for France Laughing

jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:09 am

Okay, you post me statistics.. and?

That article is clinging to straws. Here's a simple direct argument.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/5826/Stages/12496/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016

Again, I never said ozil was bad. He just isn't as good as mahrez this season.

You can easily argue Mahrez sees much less of the ball then ozil. In a possession based team Mahrez would be even better. Mahrez also tracks back much more and plays on the wing. Ozil offers absolutely zero defensively. Dude has zero stamina as well. I can keep going on and on, he can't dribble like mahrez, can't shoot, no speed.. but i've made my point.

Ozil is a better playmaker.. noone is arguing that. But he hasn't played better then Mahrez.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:27 am

I only posted that to support my argument and try to show you guys why it is not that "painfully obvious" that Mahrez is POTY so far, and that in fact it's more closer than the way you guys see it.

Fair enough with the rest of your post.

But I'll say this, the way we play we don't need Ozil to track back as much because he is our AM. Sure he floats as well, but doesn't stick himself out on the wing as much as Mahrez does because it makes his game more ineffective the more he stays out wide and tracks back.

It's true he is not the most explosive and fastest player, but watchout with your stamina comment. He has improved massively on that front since he left Madrid and since that first half season with us. He is consistently the player that covers the most distance in our games. In fact, stats have shown it is only Monreal that covers more than him.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:23 am

It's funny when people keep on the myth that Oezil has no stamina or he does no running or tracking back etc etc

There is only one player in our squad who has outrun Oezil this season. Monreal.

Besides him he is running more than any other including Sanchez who he averages about a km more in running a game

Hardly lazy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3364604/Mesut-Ozil-currently-world-s-greatest-provider-Arsenal-s-weapon-winning-Premier-League-title-unselfish-assist-Aaron-Ramsey-said-all.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenals-mesut-ozil-has-covered-more-distance-than-sterling-sanchez-and-willian-this-season-a3091251.html

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/arsenal-mesut-ozil-most-active-player-premier-league
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next