RealGunner
VendettaRed07
REWB
Jay29
MJ
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Should Arsene Wenger be in charge next season?

The Annual Arsene Wenger Poll Vote_lcap74%The Annual Arsene Wenger Poll Vote_rcap 74% 
[ 20 ]
The Annual Arsene Wenger Poll Vote_lcap26%The Annual Arsene Wenger Poll Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 27

The Annual Arsene Wenger Poll Empty The Annual Arsene Wenger Poll

Post by MJ Sun May 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Last season the majority of us Gooners were backing Wenger to turn this campaign into a successful one. As Jay aptly demonstrated, it can be called that as our long-awaited trophy allowed us all to breathe a collective sigh/cheer. That being said, the time has come to vote on whether our manager should make a sacrifice and allow his contract to expire and leave, or stay and continue with what will be the dawn of a new era at Arsenal.

Regardless of what he's said about his future, he still hasn't inked the deal. That's irrelevant anyway, this is about our opinion on the matter.

The Annual Arsene Wenger Poll Wen10
A fitting farewell or a chance at future success?
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

The Annual Arsene Wenger Poll Empty Re: The Annual Arsene Wenger Poll

Post by Jay29 Sun May 18, 2014 10:09 pm

The cup win changes everything, I feel. Had we not won it, I would have still held the opinion that a change was needed, but now that we have won it I feel fine with him staying on for another couple of years.

Ultimately, it comes down progress. The big concern was whether we were still progressing under Wenger and we are. Maybe it's not large progress, but we are starting to move forward again and I like to think that the team and Wenger himself will be hungrier for more success having got a taste of winning something, and maybe that will lead to improvements else where.

So yeah, I think Wenger is still the man to take us forward. (Voted YES)

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Sun May 18, 2014 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sun May 18, 2014 10:32 pm

depends on what he does this summer.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun May 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Stay
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun May 18, 2014 10:41 pm

Can all the Arsenal fans who voted also respond in this thread by simply saying "YES" or "NO" so we can know the genuine from the fakes.

Thanks
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun May 18, 2014 10:44 pm

My answer is the same as Jay's.

After seeing United under Moyes. I am even more worried than before for life after Arsene. It's not that I don't trust the board with who they pick next, but just the fact that Arsene has always been there and what we have achieved under him and what he has done with Arsenal. None of that was a fluke.

The FA cup is just the start. And Under Arsene we will go back to the good old days as he is the perfect man to lead us to the new era, IMO.

So, Yes.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun May 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Yes

Man got us through difficult times
kept us competitive
and 3 times built a title challenging side
this time we have all young-important players tied into long contracts
and now that we have stronger financial power in the market and this team is work in progress the man deserves to lead us to hopefully more glories
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Sun May 18, 2014 10:52 pm

No, unless he strengthens the squad so that we can challenge for the league for an ENTIRE season, not just half of the season.
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun May 18, 2014 11:06 pm

Yes.

I genuinely believe he'll play a no nonsense game in the market and do everything possible to get us challenging for the title again. Yesterday was something special that genuinely changed everyone's perception of the future, you can see it in the players and even in Wenger himself. They know that there's greater success to be had. I feel it's re-lit the fire in his belly. Which is a great thing.

With the incoming sponsorship money, Puma, Fly Emirates etc. we're in a fine position to spend this summer and really, if we can curtail our injuries then we don't need a major overhaul to have a good enough squad. Wenger deserves the chance to spend the money he's been waiting so long to have. The drought is over, the money is here. Yea to the merry times we have ahead.

MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sun May 18, 2014 11:43 pm

Voted yes.

He's earned a chance to push a little farther now that there is money available, and the squad has a taste of winning something, and almost everyone's on a long-term contract. (And the squad seems to want him to stay, too, which I find relevant.) Change is by no means always bad, but I feel like here is a platform to build upon, a step forward ... would we really want another "transition year" with some other manager, almost definitely one who hasn't achieved what AW has, coming in? Consistency, then, is another plus here.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon May 19, 2014 12:07 am

I just want to say the FA cup win should not give Wenger the license to be stubborn again, to be overconfident again on his philosophy of not spending in the market, to forget all the shortcomings (like above two) that haunted us this season and cost us the title.

My answer is yes for now, depending on what he does in the summer, I wish I could truly say yes but I cant trust him yet.

We want the EPL trophy, I know its not easy when Wenger was wining EPL it was only United that was our rival and since then City and Chelsea have become our rivals and pushed us down fighting for 4th place.

Wenger 4th place is not a trophy, identify the problems, and maybe bring someone in to address it. We want more trophies no more empty promise.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Mon May 19, 2014 12:21 am

Yes as Jay mentioned, the cup win changes everything. I would give him another season and i think we can challenge for PL next season if we do well this transfer windows. And by that i mean us buying a striker and DM.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Mon May 19, 2014 12:39 am

Yep, perhaps I'm slightly biased because I'm a Wenger baby and have an appreciation of his economics, but it looks like things are finally starting to turn around, and with more sponsorship income flowing in..

Anyway, how can you say no to this?
http://gfycat.com/WhisperedSaneGeese

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Mon May 19, 2014 2:34 am

yes
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 am

Still spewing we're almost certain to lose Bac. Would have been one less thing to worry about this summer. Not easy to replace. I think we should just give the man the extra 20k a week if thats the real problem. I dont buy all the rumours about Man Utd, why would he be interested.

Reality though we should just up the ante to 100k a week, we going to let a valuable player like Bac go on a free to save a million quid when we are going to have to spend a good 10 to replace him?

Although I would agree it would seem to make sense to look to DM options and winger options if we lose poldi or arteta etc. But the way I see it if we can just keep this squad and add on a TOP quality striker, we will be capable of maintaining a title challenge.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 am

Sorry for that, got off topic and forgot this was about Wenger - He should stay, as I have been saying for years, it is unlikely there is anyone better for the job and the risk is far too great - we can still win trophies with Wenger at the helm.
Some new additions to staff that can alleviate some resonsibility from Wenger could be useful.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kogallo Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 am

I vote no. I think he's tactically stubborn which can be suicide without the right players as the humiliations against title rivals showed. Even against Hull the blunders appeared early on but good thing we had better quality than they did. He is going to renew his contract though and all I can hope for is that he doesn't repeat this season's mistakes. Which of course are mistakes carried over from previous seasons. If he has to only play his way then he has to go all out to get the players he needs to do so
Kogallo
Kogallo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Mon May 19, 2014 8:19 am

I voted yes.

I think now that we have won something again Wenger will regain that trophy hunger and the feeling that 4th place alone is not good enough. He will get that desire to win and I think we will see more seriousness in the FA cup next season and maybe even the carling cup where appropriate.

Hopefully we will see some investment this season and minimal outgoings.

March on you Gooners  Thumbs up 
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodless Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 am

YES!

There are still a lot of question marks regarding our ability in big games and wenger's tactical nuance as he sets up the same way against sunderland as he does liverpool but on other hand progress was clearly made and even with the injuries we had this year we were never far away. Obviously wenger has to go into the market and buy the right players now moving forward but I think he has definitely earned another 3 years Wink

Now on the other hand if certain managers were available, I would change my mind but I do not see anyone available better than wenger like diego simeone or maybe even roberto martinez(but still untested at this level, lets give him couple of years)

bloodless
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon May 19, 2014 10:03 am

Kogallo wrote:I vote no. I think he's tactically stubborn which can be suicide without the right players as the humiliations against title rivals showed. Even against Hull the blunders appeared early on but good thing we had better quality than they did. He is going to renew his contract though and all I can hope for is that he doesn't repeat this season's mistakes. Which of course are mistakes carried over from previous seasons. If he has to only play his way then he has to go all out to get the players he needs to do so

To be fair, if you're going to blame the early goals on his tactical ineptitude then you have to credit the comeback to him as well. Can't go halfsies Smile

I actually heard that he advised Cazorla to aim the free kick to McGregor's left, knowing that he's weaker there.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon May 19, 2014 10:13 am

Yes. But apprehensive about the summer.

Wenger is a class act. He deserves to go out on a high with his head held high and on his own terms. And he deserves a couple of them Champions League trophies as well. Whether he can get them is a whole different question. If this is a throwback to his early wonder years, then I am only excited.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Kogallo Mon May 19, 2014 10:35 am

MJGunner wrote:
Kogallo wrote:I vote no. I think he's tactically stubborn which can be suicide without the right players as the humiliations against title rivals showed. Even against Hull the blunders appeared early on but good thing we had better quality than they did. He is going to renew his contract though and all I can hope for is that he doesn't repeat this season's mistakes. Which of course are mistakes carried over from previous seasons. If he has to only play his way then he has to go all out to get the players he needs to do so

To be fair, if you're going to blame the early goals on his tactical ineptitude then you have to credit the comeback to him as well. Can't go halfsies Smile

I actually heard that he advised Cazorla to aim the free kick to McGregor's left, knowing that he's weaker there.

Good point. I just feel had it been a better team (your Chelseas and Man Citys and Liverpools) we would have probably lost the game due to that first 8 mins. I like him a lot like I would a family member I just feel he's not willing to do that final 5% that makes the difference between us currently and the top teams. If he can address that I will be fully back in his corner. I will support him to succeed anyway since he's clearly signing on for a couple more years. I just wouldn't be torn up about it if he left this season
Kogallo
Kogallo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon May 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Maybe if it were a better team we would have approached the game differently as we did in the earlier rounds vs Liverpool, Everton and Spuds. Being heavy favorites in the final was probably what made everyone so jittery.

But we've earned this cup, no one can question that. If it were a big team in the final then who knows. Hopefully this experience will give us the bottle to handle such an occasion in the future.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Mon May 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Not that it matters since it is not up to me. I did say NO though. I believe that Wenger has actually had the money to invest in the club for several years and has chosen not to. I believe that he is arrogant when it comes to the transfer market and determining the fees necessary to sign World Class talent. So when the rate that is set by the market does not meet his valuation he will search for what ends up being a cheaper\lesser option. I also think that he seems to be a little naive when it comes to tactics. In that he will never try and setup the team to counter the opposition’s strengths either before the season or before a match. We have knowingly gone in to the season short of player for how many years now. Just like we go into games with one style of play if it is working or not.
I think that we can all sit back and be proud of the FA cup. I just do not have the faith that most seem to have that it actually will translates into something bigger and better next year. This should have been our year to win the EPL not just the FA cup. man city, chelsea, manu and everton were starting the year with the disadvantage of a new manager. liverpool was going to have to deal with not giving into Suarez, Rodgers lack of experience and the makeup of liverpool being a weaker team. I do not think it will be as easy next year.
Since my opinion really does not have any effect on who is the manager. I will just sit back and hope that I am wrong and that winning the cup will have more to do with improvement for next year.

Something else to think of for the future though.
Man City make a managerial change and they win the EPL. Manu allow Sir. Alex to pick the next manager and it does not work out.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon May 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Of course, even if we were in the thousands and voted no, it wouldn't change anything. Just gauging everyone's opinion.

If I want Wenger to stay and he leaves, then I hope I'm wrong to have wanted him to stay.

If you want him to leave and he stays, then you hope you're wrong to have wanted him to leave.

That's just wanting what's best for the club, I think we can all agree we want that Very Happy
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: