Reassessment: Who are the 5 best CB's in the world at the moment?

+22
Le Samourai
Arquitecto
Adit
halamadrid2
urbaNRoots
Hapless_Hans
Art Morte
BusterLfc
McAgger
Abramovich
futbol
BarrileteCosmico
Ganso
Kaladin
Tomwin Lannister
Robespierre
FennecFox7
Highburied
Crimson
Valkyrja
Rossoneri Ninja
Forza
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Reassessment: Who are the 5 best CB's in the world at the moment? - Page 2 Empty Re: Reassessment: Who are the 5 best CB's in the world at the moment?

Post by Robespierre Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:48 am

Unbielevable how much is dropped the level of central defenders... some names Never would have been considered 10-15 years ago Laughing

Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Reassessment: Who are the 5 best CB's in the world at the moment? - Page 2 Empty Re: Reassessment: Who are the 5 best CB's in the world at the moment?

Post by Forza Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:02 am

Robespierre wrote:Unbielevable how much is dropped the level of central defenders... some names Never would have been considered 10-15 years ago Laughing
I agree. Some people would claim that this sentiment is just notsalgia, but that's certainly not the case. For me, the only CB who is approaching the level of some of the greats of 10 years ago is T. Silva. Benatia has been consistently very good this season for Roma and a step above his solid, but unspectacular, performances at Udinese. I'm really not sure how to rate Arsenal CB's, because they are hyped and re-hyped every season, but are always a bit shaky when I watch them against good opposition. Arsenal often have great defensive stats in the league, but then crumble at the round of 16 in Europe against higher quality opponents. Barzagli, whilst having been reliable and strong for Juve under Conte, is not at the level of proficiency of someone like Nesta. Same goes for Chiellini. Miranda and Godin are solid, but by no means top class. I am also sceptical of Kompany's positioning and awareness to threats. Dante and Boateng are technically good, but are both mistake-prone. Terry is perhaps a CB that deserves some recognition for maintaining a relatively high standard towards the end of his career, which is a sign of technical proficiency.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 am

I just feel it's never been more difficult to get recognized for your defensive qualities only.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:54 am

Forza wrote:
McAgger wrote:Thiago Silva
Mertesacker
Mehdi Benatia
Andrea Barzagli

are clear top 4 for me

Koscielny
Kompany
Chiellini
Leandro Castan
Miranda

And then one of those is in and out of top 5
So you would say that Merte is the best CB in the Prem without doubt?

Yes he is. And I have said that a million times already this season. When he doesn't have to carry Kos or his fullbacks or the DM (Arteta, Flamini or whoever) he's absolutely humongous. If his teammates did their job, Arsenal probably have one of the best defenses in Europe and mostly due to Merte's quality and organization skills. He doesn't posses any sort of pace but he compensates to perfection with his reading of the game, which for me is better than any defender today.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:43 am

Ganso wrote:tbf Dante was a top 5 CB last season.This season Pep's system is exposing him and Boateng, both ok CBs

mmhmm, 9 conceded goals in the league after 22 games, best defense in Europe, no game lost, clearly the work of 'ok centerbacks' being 'exposed' by Pep's system.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:20 am

Top 5 combined from PL and BL this season, in my opinion:

Terry, Koscielny, Boateng, Matip and Mertesacker/Cahill - in no order
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:34 am

Pepe
Kompany
Terry
Miranda
Koscielny
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 am

I truly doubt whether Arsenal have world class or top 5 centrebacks. Defensively they are doing better than they have done in past years, but i see nothing special in Kos nor Mertesacker to call them the best. I'd put them in the overall top 5 in Bpl but not world wide, the games against City and liverpool is something that shouldn't be overlooked.

Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Its hilarious that many names mentioned here never performed in CL. Ripping it up in league alone shouldnt be a standard.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:24 pm

In no particular order:-

Thiago Silva
Per Mertesacker
Andrea Barzagli
Giorgio Chiellini
Mats Hummels
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Sergio
Pepe
Mertesacker
Koscienly
Kompany.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Le Samourai wrote:Sergio
Pepe
Mertesacker
Koscienly
Kompany.

rofl
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Robespierre wrote:Unbielevable how much is dropped the level of central defenders... some names Never would have been considered 10-15 years ago :lol:
Because they were like 15 years old then?
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:55 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Unbielevable how much is dropped the level of central defenders... some names Never would have been considered 10-15 years ago Laughing
Because they were like 15 years old then?
Also..

Forza wrote:
I agree. Some people would claim that this sentiment is just notsalgia, but that's certainly not the case. For me, the only CB who is approaching the level of some of the greats of 10 years ago is T. Silva. Benatia has been consistently very good this season for Roma and a step above his solid, but unspectacular, performances at Udinese. I'm really not sure how to rate Arsenal CB's, because they are hyped and re-hyped every season, but are always a bit shaky when I watch them against good opposition. Arsenal often have great defensive stats in the league, but then crumble at the round of 16 in Europe against higher quality opponents. Barzagli, whilst having been reliable and strong for Juve under Conte, is not at the level of proficiency of someone like Nesta. Same goes for Chiellini. Miranda and Godin are solid, but by no means top class. I am also sceptical of Kompany's positioning and awareness to threats. Dante and Boateng are technically good, but are both mistake-prone. Terry is perhaps a CB that deserves some recognition for maintaining a relatively high standard towards the end of his career, which is a sign of technical proficiency.

agreed 100%
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:03 pm

anyway about this year...

Thiago Silva
Mehdi Benatia
Andrea Barzagli
Per Mertesacker
Terry

edit : Terry for Miranda.

Last edited by Robespierre on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Top 5 combined from PL and BL this season, in my opinion:

Terry, Koscielny, Boateng, Matip and Mertesacker/Cahill - in no order

https://i.imgur.com/vl7gaqL.gif
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Ronaldo ruined him, he was still boss all season so far and it doesn't help being that he was partnered by Santana.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:04 pm

That goal was Ronaldo vs Matip (one on one)...

Very Happy
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:12 pm

Thiago Silva
Koscielny
Mertesacker
Benatia
Terry
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:16 pm

RealGunner wrote:Thiago Silva
Koscielny
Mertesacker
Benatia
Terry

hmm Are you spying on my mind??

PS This dude below me is an idiot.

Last edited by Highburied on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 pm

Surprised at no mentions for Kolo Toure hmm

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2