Wilson37
Raptorgunner
urbaNRoots
SamuelJayC
14 posters

Go down

Arsenal v Liverpool Preview Empty Arsenal v Liverpool Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Arsenal v Liverpool, Saturday 2nd November 5.30pm, Emirates Stadium, Premier League, Sky Sports 1

Arsenal v Liverpool Preview Ars-ne-Wenger-011
A decisive week in the season lies ahead for Arsène Wenger's Arsenal - it's crunch time.

Premier League

1. Arsenal 22pts
2. Chelsea 20pts
3. Liverpool 20pts
4. Spurs 19pts
- - -
5. Southampton 18pts
6. Everton 18pts

Arsenal enter key week in season

Arsène Wenger has been here before. It's one of those moments in a club's season when it feels like the world is watching, ready to scrutinize any slip-ups. Despite an excellent start to their Premier League campaign, in mid-week Arsenal were knocked out of the League Cup on home turf by neighbours Chelsea, and, though clearly the Gunners have priorities elsewhere, the defeat could be more keenly felt on March 2, when the final is played at Wembley - particularly if Wenger's men are not doing well in other competitions.

How well Arsenal are doing in four months' time may well depend on the next 9 days. After entertaining Liverpool on Saturday evening, Wenger takes his side to Dortmund in a crucial Champions League tie, before ending the week at Old Trafford, where the Frenchman will face post-Sir Alex Ferguson Manchester United for the first time. It's a truly testing schedule that will test Arsenal's squad - already robbed of the services of Mathieu Flamini, Theo Walcott & Lukas Podolski, among others - and give an indication of whether the eight-year trophy drought is likely to end in 2014.

Liverpool head to London full of confidence

It hasn't been this good at Anfield in five years. It was at the beginning of the 2008/09 season when Liverpool last began a campaign in such outstanding fashion. Collecting 23 points from their opening nine league fixtures back then, Rafael Benítez's team ended up second, four points off champions Manchester United. This time around, Brendan Rodgers' outfit have managed 20 points from their first nine. Forwards Luis Suárez (6 goals in 5 appearances) and Daniel Sturridge (10 in 11) are running riot for Liverpool, whilst midfielders Lucas, Steven Gerrard and Jordan Henderson have brought balance to Rodgers' side, benefiting from the new system, a fluid 3-4-1-2.

Match Facts

* Arsenal have lost just 1 of their last 12 clashes with Liverpool, winning 4 and drawing 7.

* Suárez has 6 goals and 1 assist in 4 Premier League games since returning from suspension.

* Arsenal won each of their last 3 league games at Highbury against Liverpool but have won only 2 of 7 since they moved to the Emirates Stadium in 2006.

* Aaron Ramsey has 5 goals and 3 assists in his last 6 Premier League appearances.

* November is Arsenal’s least productive month in Premier League history with the Gunners gaining only 1.55 points per game.

* Liverpool and Arsenal players have both scored 34 Premier League hat-tricks, more than any other club in the competition.

* Liverpool have hit the woodwork 8 times this season and have done so 60 times since August 2011, both Premier League-high figures.

Team News

Arsenal

Arteta returns from suspension. Flamini (groin), Gnabry (ankle), Walcott (abdominal) and Podolski (hamstring) remain out but could all return next weekend. Chamberlain (knee), Diaby (knee) and Sanogo (back) are long-term injuries.

Liverpool

Coutinho (shoulder) returns to the squad, but Enrique (knee), Aspas (thigh) and Coates (knee) remain out.

Arsenal v Liverpool Preview AbFMphoahN

Arsenal subs: Fabiański, Vermaelen, Jenkinson, Monreal, Rosický, Ryo, Bendtner

Liverpool subs: Jones, Agger, Kelly, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling, Moses

Manager views

Arsène Wenger

"It is an important period of course, but I'm quite confident and you can see I'm quite relaxed because I have the complete confidence that we will deal well with it. I take it as an opportunity to show our strengths and I am completely sure that the players will be up for it and take this opportunity. In the kind of games that we play [against Liverpool], you always find out a lot about your squad. I don't need to find out too much because we are a very stable team who, since January 1, has taken more points than anybody else."

Brendan Rodgers

"We have shown that we have quality in the team, that we've got a winning mentality, which is important, and that we can consistently bring that to the table. Saturday won't be the be-all-and-end-all in terms of whether we can make the top four or not, but I think what we have shown so far is that we are going to be in the conversation. I believe we are in a good moment. We have started the season as we would have wanted – strong – and I think we can only get better and improve."

Prediction

With Chelsea travelling to Newcastle in Saturday's early fixture, Arsenal could be dethroned of top place going into tomorrow's game. Wenger knows, despite the mid-week disappointment in the League Cup, his side are still top of both the Premier League and their Champions League group, and will look at the next three fixtures as a great opportunity to prove Arsenal are the real deal.

Rodgers, on the other hand, will know last time out on the road his side failed to defeat 10-man Newcastle, whilst not too long ago came a somewhat fortunate point at Swansea. How Mertersacker and Koscielny deal with Suárez and Sturridge will clearly be imperative in the game's outcome, whilst Rodgers' team will need to nulify the threat of Özil, Cazorla and in-form Ramsey.

It's difficult to separate the two sides, I'm sitting on the fence. 2-2.

Last edited by Samuelj29060 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:30 pm; edited 11 times in total
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Arsenal v Liverpool Preview Empty Re: Arsenal v Liverpool Preview

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Arteta Ramsey
Wilshere Özil Cazorla
Giroud
Bench: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Monreal, Ryo, Rosicky, Bendtner;

Can't believe not even Gnabry is available on the right flank Laughing

Especially against Liverpool's 3 man defence we could've done with some defence stretching. Wouldn't count on our defence keeping a clean sheet, so some more goals are going to be needed (Ramsey, Giroud pls), especially scoring first will be important. It's been a while since Cazorla has scored, maybe him?

Anyway, will be a good match as usual, so let's start these hard fixtures with 3 points... UTA!
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Tough game, losing 3 games in a row at home is not an option. Its time to show the EPL we are here to stay at the top of the table and beat Liverpool. We must Defend Well, not sure about Mert vs Suarez and Sturridge. Maybe Vermaelen might start?

Urban what happened to Gnabry?

------------------Szczesny
Sagna------Koscielny----Vermaelen---- Gibbs
----------------Arteta-------Ramsey
Wilshere----------Özil----------------Cazorla
---------------------Giroud

------------------Szczesny
Monreal------Koscielny----Sagna---- Gibbs
----------------Arteta-------Ramsey
Wilshere----------Özil----------------Cazorla
---------------------Giroud
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:39 pm

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/team-news-who-could-face-liverpool-

Arsène Wenger revealed the following team news ahead of the Premier League game against Liverpool:

on the team news…
Basically we have just Arteta back because he was suspended. Gnabry, who was not available for Tuesday, will not be available again, and all the other long-term injuries are not back - Walcott, Chamberlain, Podolski, Diaby.
Not sure what his injury is, but he's not available for tomorrow, unfortunately.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:17 pm

without Walcott or Gnabry this team would struggle if we play narrow against that 3 CB defence.. only thing which makes us dangerous is that deadly movement and interchanging of positions among the front 3 midfielders..
i would drop Cazorla in the bench and start with Wilshere, Ozil and Rosicky with Arteta-Ramsey double pivot..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:19 pm

This is another interesting game, tactically. We don't often come up against teams who play three at the back and I think we'll find it difficult to play against.

The most obvious weakness of three at the back is the space down the sides. You have to get in behind the wing backs and drag the outside centre backs out to create space in the penalty area. As we don't have any natural width in the side at the moment and are currently playing a narrow attack, a lot of play tends to end up going through the centre and that's going to be tough against three centre backs, two wing backs dropping in to make it a five plus two midfielders. So it'll be very important that we get runners into wide positions - Özil will be especially important for this.

It'll also be interesting to see if we press their defenders or not. Usually, we tend to stand off opposition defenders, but Liverpool will have an extra man back there and will be able to recycle possession in deep areas easier. I don't think their centre backs are that good on the ball, and feel that if we can nick the ball in advanced areas, we'll be able to catch them when their wing backs have pushed up the field. On the other hand, we'll have to push up the backline to do that, and that'll invite long balls over the top for Suarez and Sturridge.

The most important thing, though, regardless of how we approach this tactically, is to ensure we don't make any silly errors and gift Liverpool a goal. We did it twice against Dortmund and once against Chelsea and ended up having to chase both games. I'm confident that our regular back four won't make any needless mistakes, but it's something the whole team needs to be wary of.

I'm not too worried about Mertesacker. People were concerned when we played them at Anfield last season but Suarez only beat him once one-on-one the whole game. Arsenal will try and limit the number of one-on-one opportunities Suarez and Sturridge will have against our defenders and won't let Mertesacker get isolated. I'm confident of that much.

I've a feeling this will end up a draw.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Our midfield 3 of Gerrard, Lucas, Hendo lines up like so

Lucas
Gerrard - Hendo

It sort of deviates from anyone of the 3 leaving their defensive duties. As opposed to if we were playing an AM like Cou or Moses then it would just be the double pivots doing most of the defensive work in midfield.

That starting line up Samuelj has is probably the most likely but with a slight change like I pointed out.

Mignolet
Toure - Skrtel - Sakho
Lucas
Johnson - Gerrard - Hendo - Cissokho
-----------------------------
Suarez -- Sturridge
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Completely agree with Jay that it is a very interesting match tactically. The last time we played against a team with 3 at the back was Wigan. And we kinda struggled with them doing so. They didn't have players which Liverpool does as well, although they had martinez.

In any case, really wish we had Walcott and Flamini for this game. Specially Walcott. Even Gnabry would have been ok. Cissokho isn't a good defender. and with him playing as a Wing back, theo would have had a field day. But that's all in theory. Pitch will be pretty crowded in the middle tomorrow, with 5 of our midfielders and 3 of theirs. There will be space on the wings but we won't be able to do anything with it with Wilshere and Cazorla on the wings. Or Ramsey.

Ozil will be important obviously. Think Wilshere's form has been pretty good lately and i expect him to shine tomorrow too. Not sure where Arsene will play Ramsey. It can be next to Arteta where it should be, or if Arsene has one of those moments then he will use Ramsey as the RW with Wilshere as the B2B. Not that our midfielders really have a set position. Thankfully Gibbs and Sagna had a good rest in midweek so they will be fresh.

Sturridge and Suarez needs to be contained. Coutinho might play but lets hope he is rusty.

Scoring first is important. Liverpool will make it 5 at the back with Lucas right with them while defending and we all know how that will go.

-------------------------------Szczesny------------------------------
Sagna-------------Mertesacker--------------Koscielny-----------Gibbs
----------------Ramsey----------------Arteta------------------------
---------Wilshere----------Ozil------------------Cazorla--------------
-------------------------Giroud---------------------------------------

Talent is ridiculous but not the right personnel

Going with a 3-1 win to us :coffee:
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:02 pm

On a similar note, i won't mind Rosicky starting over Wilshere. Rosicky is brilliant at quickening the pace and he has always linked up well with Ozil. Or we can bring Cazorla from the bench who is still yet to find his sharpness
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:15 pm

an interesting option to lay Monreal as LW to provide width against the 3 man defence.. he advances well and is relatively a better crosser in the squad.. but is this the stage to try it.. probably not..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:45 pm

The problem with starting Ramsey next to Arteta is it leaves our most offensively prolific player in a more defensive role. Putting Wilshere as the B2B is an awkward position for him as he sometimes struggles between attacking and the transition to shielding the back four. His form up front has been much improved recently so hopefully that translates to goals.

Excellent preview, Sam.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Great work Sam

Given that some cetain players are missed to add depth to attack and shield defence and cover up spaces

how our FullBacks perform can be decisive on both ends

just saw some Chart (from opta on from article analyzing Southampton defence)  that us and LFC conceded least quality chances to oppositions so far this season

Spoiler:

hopefully Koscielny brings his A Game as well

our best chances will come from quick combinations  or forcing errors high up the pitch
in both cases Rosicky would be Helpful as Jay and RG Pointed

Of all #LFC opponents last season, #Arsenal at the Emirates had the most: Shots in the box (11), Final 3rd passes (219) and Possession (62%)@DanKennett

crucial we score 1st and then control space this time

Up the Gunners
Lets do this
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:00 am

In this game I'd rather start Ramsey outwide and Wilshere next to Arteta. We need Wilshere in the midfield today. That's where he thrives. We will get nothing out of him if he starts on the right wing. Might as well start Rozza then.

This is so important. We need to win this. Because I'm not that confident we'll win at Dortmund and we want to have any sort of momentum and confidence heading into the game at Old Trafford we need to win today. (I so want us to win that game at OT)

But anyway, let's just take it one game at a time. We can put Liverpool in their place today. We just need to play with a high intensity and score the first goal (first goal will be so important in this match). We need to start like we did against Napoli. We got this for sure then. I'll admit I'm afraid of the threat that SAS poses. Very afraid. But if we avoid their midfield from getting not so much of the ball we can limit the supply to their strikers. I'm so looking forward to this match. It'll be a blockbuster. Can just feel it.

C'mon Arsenal!!!
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:06 am

Ramsey on the wing is just as useless then... we need to play our most in form players in their NATURAL positions so we make the most of their form.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:41 am

With Jack out it's not gonna matter then. Cazorla on the right, Özil on the left and Super Tom in the middle. Arteta + Ramsey pivot. Simples.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:49 am

With Flamini and the wide attacking players out, and a bump in form & momentum, I'm a little nervous for this one. Liverpool are cresting a wave.

On the other hand, shouldn't there be some probability that we don't lose at home to a big team again?
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:06 pm

we have been losing too many home matches in the last few years, for whatever reasons..
rumours that Wilshere is injured and out.. any updates on the team ?
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Did a bit of research:

Arsène Wenger's Premier League home record v Liverpool:

96/97: 1-2
97/98: 0-1
98/99: 0-0
99/00: 0-1
00/01: 2-0
01/02: 1-1
02/03: 1-1
03/04: 4-2
04/05: 3-1
05/06: 2-1
06/07: 3-0
07/08: 1-1
08/09: 1-1
09/10: 1-0
10/11: 1-1
11/12: 0-2
12/13: 2-2

P17 W6 D7 L4 F23 A17

Not the best record. But still decent.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:21 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYEKFygIQAAlQsJ.jpg
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eelir Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Arsenal must win this game to show that this season they really mean to compete for the league!

I regret I wont be able to watch this Sad
eelir
eelir
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by sree999 Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:44 pm

live stream anyone ? where do you guys watch matches online ?
sree999
sree999
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by eelir Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:47 pm

sree999 wrote:live stream anyone ? where do you guys watch matches online ?
Check your PM.
eelir
eelir
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by taha99 Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Missed that match.... :/

taha99
Prospect