Red Alert
Jay29
SamuelJayC
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Liverpool v Arsenal Preview Empty Liverpool v Arsenal Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 am

Liverpool v Arsenal, Sunday 2nd September, 1.30pm, Anfield, Premier League, Sky Sports 1

Liverpool v Arsenal Preview Liverpool-vs-Arsenal

Arsenal and Liverpool yet to get going

Arsenal and Liverpool have taken just three points from a possible twelve between them so far this season - something that will have to change quickly. Brendan Rodgers will argue his side have had tougher fixtures than the gunners thus far, West Brom (a) and Man City (h), whilst the London side had Sunderland (h) and Stoke (a), but both teams have disappointed overall with their performances.

Liverpool continue to adapt to Rodger's style of play, with Martin Skrtel's errors in recent weeks maybe a sign of how the Merseysiders are still becoming accustomed to the new methods, with the Slovakian's 'over-calmness' in possession costing his side goals in the opening two weeks. Liverpool did, however, reach the Europa League group stages after defeating Hearts 2-1 on aggregate.

Arsenal are adjusting to life without Robin van Persie and Alex Song - the club's best two performers last season - as well as a collection of injured players - Bacary Sagna, Jack Wilshere and Tomas Rosicky all remain in the physio room.

All square last season

In the 2011/12 campaign, Liverpool won at the Emirates (2-0) and Arsenal won at Anfield (2-1). Van Persie's strikes gave the gunners all three points on Merseyside in March, whilst Aaron Ramsey's own goal and Luis Suarez gave then-manager Kenny Dalglish a win in London.

Match Facts:

* There have been seven 90th minute or later goals scored in the last seven Premier League games between Liverpool and Arsenal and five in the last four.

* There have been own goals scored in each of the last three Premier League games between Liverpool and Arsenal at Anfield and one at the Emirates last season.

* Liverpool have won just one of their last 10 Premier League games against Arsenal (W1 D6 L3).

* The Gunners are unbeaten in their last five Premier League visits to Anfield (W2 D3) and have come from behind in all those games to secure those results.

* Only Arsenal (19%) have a worse shooting accuracy than Liverpool in the Premier League this season (24%)

* Arsenal have failed to score in their opening two PL games. The longest they have gone without scoring from the start of the season is 224 minutes (last season).

* Arsenal have allowed the joint-fewest shots on target against them this season along with Sunderland who have played just one game.

* Liverpool have picked up just 19 points in 21 Premier League games in 2012.

* Arsenal have won just one of their last seven Premier League matches.

Team News:

Arsenal

Koscielny returns to the squad after a calf injury, whilst Szczesny (ribs) will have a fitness test on Saturday. Fabianski (back) should return. Wilshere (ankle), Sagna (leg), Rosicky (tendon) and Frimpong (knee) are all unavailable.

Bendtner (Juventus) and Park (Celta Vigo) have left the club.

Liverpool

Agger returns from suspension, but Cole (hamstring) and Lucas (thigh) are out.

Sahin could make his debut, but Adam (Stoke), Spearing (Bolton) and Carroll (West Ham) have all left the club.

Liverpool v Arsenal Preview AbDhLV5alj

Arsenal subs - Fabianski Mertesacker Coquelin Ramsey Chamberlain Gervinho Arshavin

Liverpool subs - Jones Carragher Coates Kelly Shelvey Henderson Downing

Manager's quotes

Arsene Wenger

"If I listened to the predictions last year on exactly the same day, we were to finish 10th or 15th and we finished third. You never expect much from us, I must say. We always have potential to surprise you. At the moment I do not want to put too much pressure on Giroud and Podolski. You have to give players who have come in a bit of time to adapt to the league. We are used to scoring goals, so we cannot say it is not a concern when we don’t score. On the other hand, we have also not conceded, so 50 per cent is all right and 50 per cent we want to improve."

Brendan Rodgers

"We achieved the objective which was to get through against Hearts. I thought the attitude and commitment of the players was excellent. Arsenal have been in that top four for the last 15 years & I'm sure it will be the same this year."

Last edited by Samuelj29060 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Liverpool v Arsenal Preview Empty Re: Liverpool v Arsenal Preview

Post by Jay29 Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:21 am

Our success in this game will depend on how well our defence copes with Liverpool's attack, I reckon. Last week against Stoke, we defended really well against their long balls and set-pieces but this week we'll be coming up a completely different attack and a completely different way of playing.

To begin with, Liverpool play with a higher tempo and with three forwards who are all quick and skilled on the ball. Jenkinson will have a hell of a job containing Raheem Stirling, should he play. He did well against Stoke since Stoke's style played to his strengths, but up against a rapid, tricky winger I can see him having a lot of difficulty.

Koscielny and Vermaelen will have to play very well to keep Suarez quiet, too. Though Suarez is wasteful in front of goal, he can make defenders look silly.

It is my hope Koscielny does start over Mertesacker. This isn't a slight against Mertesacker, but I'd be more comfortable with Koscielny's mobility in defence.

Beyond that, whoever wins the midfield battle will keep most of the ball. If Liverpool play Allen and Sahin together, they'll have a pivot that will be very adept at keeping and using possession. Arteta and Diaby will have to keep track of Gerrard's runs between them.

Offensively, hopefully we'll attack down their flanks, since there fullbacks will inevitably push high up the pitch. Hopefully we'll close Skrtel down, too, since he doesn't seem too comfortable playing out from the back.

It's going to be a very difficult win and I wouldn't be surprised if we lost. I'm actually expecting a defeat. Draw would be a good result.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:07 am

* Liverpool have picked up just 19 points in 21 Premier League games in 2012.

Worrying. :\

Good luck lads, hopefully it's a great game with the team in red getting the 3 points. Wink
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:51 am

I'd like to see Yennaris or Coquelin at RB over Jenkinson if we do come up against Stirling simply because of playing style. Overall, I expect a much more exciting game than we've seen so far from the boys. I predict Podolski (2) and Diaby will score in a 3-1 victory that will probably be closer than the scoreline suggests Wink
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:02 am

I cant see us scoring more than 1 goals regardless of how many chances we create.So basically depends on how good Arsenal attack performs against our defence.

I believe we have on of the best defenses in the league and Arsenal attack is still gelling so i think it will be 1-1 imo.

our most likely lineup is

Assaidi Suarez Borini

Gerrard

Allen Sahin

Enrique Agger Skrtel Johnson

Reina

Any idea whats Arsenal' likely lineup is?
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:04 am

Or we'll go with:

Gerrard
Borini --------- Suarez
------Sahin--------
Allen ------ Shelvey
Enrique Agger Skrtel Johnson
Reina

:bow:

Last edited by ynwa on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:17 am

Gerrard is our best finisher, so that's not very far fetched ynwa smoking
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:16 am

Both teams could really do with three points so it could be a 'triffic game.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:34 am

Must win for both teams Neutral

Hope Yennaris and Coquelin start ahead of Jenkinson and Diaby.

Let the best team win Very Happy
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:36 am

Who ever can score will win, considering the strike forces from both teams have been lacklustre.

Will probably end 1-0 or a draw.
Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Geee Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:46 am

a must win match for us considering our tough upcoming fixture list..
Geee
Geee
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by furiouswindbottom Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:53 am

Agree with 'most' of the team from the OP.

Spot the difference in my team.

Szczesny

Jenks Vermy Kos Gibbs

Arteta Coquelin

Ox Cazorla Podolski

Giroud
furiouswindbottom
furiouswindbottom
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by abirking Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Both teams are evenly matched. Big teams with a bad start to the season, performing below expectations of its supporters. L'pool has a better experienced defense while arsenal has the better experienced attack.
The midifield for me cancels each other out. I know some may say sahin, allen and gerrard is better then diaby, arteta and cazorla the fact is this will be sahin's first EPL game so for me it evens out. Plus we have two spaniards, that should give us the edge.
Overall the match will be either nail-biting or a snooze fest.
I think a draw is on the cards.
( The four players for arsenal who was responsible for last season's win against l'pool are missing. Messrs RVP,Song, Sagna and Szcny)
abirking
abirking
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:11 pm

abirking wrote:Both teams are evenly matched. Big teams with a bad start to the season, performing below expectations of its supporters. L'pool has a better experienced defense while arsenal has the better experienced attack.
The midifield for me cancels each other out. I know some may say sahin, allen and gerrard is better then diaby, arteta and cazorla the fact is this will be sahin's first EPL game so for me it evens out. Plus we have two spaniards, that should give us the edge.
Overall the match will be either nail-biting or a snooze fest.
I think a draw is on the cards.
( The four players for arsenal who was responsible for last season's win against l'pool are missing. Messrs RVP,Song, Sagna and Szcny)

:bow:
Hopefully Sterling starts ahead of Assaidi
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Internet Bullshit Artist's on Twitter claiming Mannone (Szczesny failed fitness test) will be in goal again tomorrow and Chamberlain will start.

Where Chamberlain will play, I have no idea.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Either Oxlade on the right and Podolski on the left

Or Arteta-Oxlade-Cazorla (midfield)

Or Oxlade-Giroud-Walcott/Gervinho

maybe Cazorla starts at RW and Oxlade instead of him at CAM

Or Oxlade at RB :I'munoriginal:

Szczesny bit is true. He wasn't gonna be fit for tomorrow
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Hopefully Ox isn't in the midfield. He doesn't know his role properly when played there.

Mannone
Yennaris Koscielny Vermaelen Gibbs
Arteta Coquelin
Oxlade Cazorla Podolski
Giroud

Would be our best possible starting XI, but I think we'll see that team with Jenkinson instead of Yennaris and Diaby instead of Coquelin.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:44 pm

First of all, great job Sam once again!

Tomorrow's game is must win for both Arsenal and liverpool so i won't be surprised if it ends up in a draw like they usually do. I won't mind a draw in all honesty because Anfield is a place where its extremely hard to do well mainly because the crowd genuinely plays as the 12th man.

City of all teams struggled there and that should tell you.

But we need to win this otherwise there will be a huge huge backlash and the morale will be non existent, specially after a "decent" start. Wenger will be scrutinised obviously and the conflict between the fans will grow even more.

It will be difficult as i mentioned. Pressure will be on our strikers to score, Pressure will be on Liverpool's defence to not concede. And pressure on both managers to prove the media wrong.

If the news about Oxlade is correct than i think he will start at RW with theo and gervinho on the bench. I would personally start Ramsey instead of Diaby because ball retention will be key and We don't really need physical presence tomorrow in midfield.

Let's do our best tomorrow
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:22 pm

Thankgs RG :bow:

--

Arsenal are unbeaten with Vito Mannone in the Premier League -> 5 wins, 2 draws.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudcat Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:41 pm

RealGunner wrote:

If the news about Oxlade is correct than i think he will start at RW with theo and gervinho on the bench. I would personally start Ramsey instead of Diaby because ball retention will be key and We don't really need physical presence tomorrow in midfield.

This is what I would expect as well. I can't imagine Wenger sitting either Podolski or Giroud in a game immediately before the international break when both need to be playing to help the team gel. No need to delay their progress for two more weeks. And with Liverpool being less physical than Sunderland and Stoke City and with them learning Brendan Rogers' passing game, Ramsey would seem a better option.
Mudcat
Mudcat
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Agree with you mudcat

However people are suggesting that Podolski may drop to the bench because Wenger wants proper width tomorrow. hence oxlade and Theo starting

let's see
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:55 pm

i would also want Ox at right.. Also Coquelin replacing Diaby.. but not sure whether it is the right match to try this for the first time.. i agree.. Ramsey doesnt look a bad idea, for the first time, lol...
will stick with Jenkinson at RB... and why bench Podolski.. play Gervinho and Walcott as subs..
btw, Is Sczeny 100% fit ?
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by abirking Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:58 pm

For me the sunderland game and the upcoming southampton game were must win.
After the chelsea match i will be satisfied if we have 8 points. ( 5 draws and 1 win) Anything more will be a bonus. Anyways hopefully we will get maximum points tomorrow.
abirking
abirking
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Great work sam.

This game is made for Coquelin. Reads the game well which leads to interceptions, and with a Sahin-Allen midfield, this will be extremely useful. Same applies for Koscielny as well, and like jay said his mobility is alot better than Mertesackers and this will help deal with Suarez's movement.

As for Ox, I think he should start, and if Liverpool's possession game is working, Theo's pace on the counter could be effective.

And I do agree RG, a loss and there's going to be a major division between the fans, the usual pro-Usmanov group will pop up again. A draw wouldn't be the worst result, but we MUST score to get some sort of boost before the internationals.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:18 am

Great work Sam

lets hope we are effective on counters
if we take our chances we can get 3 pts
as long as we dont concede early and came out well under early stages pressure