McAgger
RedOranje
Raptorgunner
SamuelJayC
11 posters

Go down

Arsenal v Liverpool Preview Empty Arsenal v Liverpool Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Arsenal v Liverpool, Wednesday 30th January 7.45pm, Emirates Stadium, Premier League, Sky Sports 2

Arsenal v Liverpool Preview Walcott
Walcott celebrates his winner against Brighton with his team-mates

Premier League

1. Man Utd 56pts
2. Man City 51pts
3. Chelsea 45pts
4. Spurs 41pts
-------------
5. Everton 38pts
6. Arsenal 37pts
7. Liverpool 34pts

Arsenal form improves ahead of key clash

After back-to-back defeats to Manchester City and Chelsea in the Premier League, Arsenal's fixtures against West Ham and then Brighton in the last week were of the utmost importance. Falling behind to the Hammers at the Emirates, the gunners showed character to come back from 1-0 down early on and record an impressive 5-1 victory. Then, on Saturday, Arsene Wenger's men twice went ahead before allowing Championship side Brighton to twice equalise, however, a late winner from substitute Theo Walcott saw Arsenal through to round five (where the club will face Blackburn at home).

Liverpool exit cup as inconsistency continues

Liverpool's form can be viewed in different ways. Brendan Rodgers' side have won 6 of their last 9 league games, but they've also lost 4 of their last 10. The embarrassing FA Cup exit at Oldham (19th place in league one) on Sunday came after a 5-0 win against Norwich, proving the club's inconsistency. Now, The Reds face Arsenal and Manchester City, both away, in the space of a few days - fixtures that will surely reveal if the team are ready to challenge for a top four spot or not.

Match Facts

* There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Liverpool's last 8 games in the Premier League.

* Arsenal are undefeated in 9 of their last 10 matches against Liverpool in all competitions.

* Liverpool have won just 3 of their 11 away league games this season (P11 W3 D4 L4 F18 A18)

* Arsenal have scored 30 home league goals this season - the joint-highest with Manchester United.

* Last season's 2-0 win at the Emirates was Liverpool's first win on Arsenal territory since Feb 13th 2000.

Team News

Arsenal

Vermaelen (ankle) is back in the squad, but Coquelin (hamstring) and Arteta (calf) remain out.

Liverpool

Reina (thigh), Johnson (hamstring) and Enrique (hamstring) all return to the squad, but Kelly (knee) remains a long-term absentee. Local media suggest that Skrtel is likely to be dropped to the bench for the game.

Arsenal v Liverpool Preview AbEaoTdadn

Arsenal bench - Mannone, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Santos, Ramsey, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Liverpool bench - Jones, Skrtel, Wisdom, Henderson, Shelvey, Sterling, Borini

Manager's views

Arsene Wenger

"It is always a big disappointment to go out of the FA Cup. You never speculate because you never know exactly what kind of response you get. It depends on the team. What is important is for us to be at our best and cope with what Liverpool will offer us. Of course it’s a shock when you go out but we just look at ourselves to play well together and don’t look too much at how Liverpool will respond to that."

Brendan Rodgers

"We know it's a tough game for us, but it's a game we're certainly going to look to go and try and win - and a game we're capable of winning. On the day, we can go and win the game - there's absolutely no question of that. We played Arsenal earlier on in the season and because of circumstance we weren't at the best and deservedly lost the game. But I believe we've made improvements, both mentally and tactically, in our game, so it will be as equally as tough for them."
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Arsenal v Liverpool Preview Empty Re: Arsenal v Liverpool Preview

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Great Preview Sam.

I would drop Diaby, he has been shit past few games. I would Start Ramsey. I know Diaby has played Well again Liverpool but I just dont think he is ready for a big game.

_____________Szczesny____________
_Sagna_Koscielny_Vermaelen_Gibbs_
_____________Ramsey_Wilshere_________
_______________Cazorla_____________
____Walcott____Giroud_____Podolski_____

Prediction, 2-1 win for us.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Arsenal v Liverpool Preview BBzQ5uSCMAA_dmg
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Henderson will almost certainly start over Allen.

Assuming we mimic the Norwich game Suarez will start at left forward, Sturridge at center forward, and Downing on the right side. When Suarez drifts inside Sturridge or Henderson will push wider left to offer an outlet and a bit of width while Gerrard will sit a bit deeper than OP's line-up suggests. Enrique most likely won't start given his lack of any match time since his injury, so Johnson will probably play at LWB with Wisdom at RB, staying back in the defensive line.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 pm

RedOranje wrote:Henderson will almost certainly start over Allen.

I did look at the Liverpool XI in the last 3 games, and I thought about including him in the team, but I've predicted Allen as it'll be a more technical game. But you know more about Liverpool than me.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 am

Allen is awfully out of form. No chance of him starting tomorrow. And like Red said Luis will start on the left but will drift inside and play behind/along-side Sturridge and Henderson will drift to the left when defending. When we attack, Gleninho will be playing mostly as a left winger (assuming he plays on the left and Enrique doesn't start) and Hendo as LAM/LCM.

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 am

Great work Sam!

Not looking forward to this game lol. Just a day before the transfer deadline, if we lose, there will be more negativity than ever. Which is probably going to happen since we are inconsistent and poor against the top sides.

Pressing their midfield will be they key. We can't sit back like we did against Chelsea even though it's tempting against liverpool. Henderson/Gerrard may not play between the lines but suarez does. He will do more damage than chelsea did in the 1st half.

Ramsey's biggest game as a Regista. Hope he does well.

Another test for us. I hope we win but i can't see it. Draw wouldn't be that bad either for us tbh and i think it may end up as a draw
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 am

Im excited for this game! I hope we get a good result but I have a good feeling it will be a fun match to watch either way.

Slightly unrelated, but our game vs west ham was the first match I ever watched with my girlfriend. But she didn't see the whole thing. It was 1-1 in the second half when she came over, and she isn't the biggest sports fan really and I was like "Oh, no, something exciting better happen. Anything other than a boring hour ending in a draw would be an awful first impression for her ever even watching this with me"

and then just suddenly a few seconds after she sat down they just started scoring non stop and she got all excited and was like cheering and jumping around with me lol

And shes gonna watch the game with me again tomorrow. Hopefully it wasn't just a fluke and shes a real good luck charm for us Razz
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:30 am

VendettaRed07 wrote:Im excited for this game! I hope we get a good result but I have a good feeling it will be a fun match to watch either way.

Slightly unrelated, but our game vs west ham was the first match I ever watched with my girlfriend. But she didn't see the whole thing. It was 1-1 in the second half when she came over, and she isn't the biggest sports fan really and I was like "Oh, no, something exciting better happen. Anything other than a boring hour ending in a draw would be an awful first impression for her ever even watching this with me"

and then just suddenly a few seconds after she sat down they just started scoring non stop and she got all excited and was like cheering and jumping around with me lol

And shes gonna watch the game with me again tomorrow. Hopefully it wasn't just a fluke and shes a real good luck charm for us Razz
lol.. We will know it today.. Thumbs up
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

I feel Diaby is the person who adds balance to our light midfield.. He had a mixed match last game.. But i will definitely start him over Ramsey if he is fit.. Ramsey did well as the deep playmaker but he doesnt offer physical presence in the midfield.. We didnt have much options other than to play the 3 available cm till now.. But now we have more options with Rosicky, Diaby and Ox back..
Last season Rosicky, Arteta and Song was good.. Finding the balance in the midfield has been a main problem this season.. It is a real headache for Wenger..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:55 pm

‏@davebaxter69

When Brendan Rodgers said he thought Liverpool could finish second I didn't realize he meant in every game. rofl
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:05 pm

As much as we make fun of Liverpool... they would overtake Arsenal with a win.

In any case, i think top 4 is pretty much out. Spurs got Holtby and they are working on Capoue and Lisandro. I don't think they get the later two, but still ffs.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:10 pm

sportsczy wrote:As much as we make fun of Liverpool... they would overtake Arsenal with a win.

In any case, i think top 4 is pretty much out. Spurs got Holtby and they are working on Capoue and Lisandro. I don't think they get the later two, but still ffs.

Trust me its over, top4 is gone.

Like you said Spuds are getting stronger and we getting weaker.

Not worried about Liverpool making top4 we are on the same boat as them.

Its easier to win CL and knock Spuds out out top4 again than beating them on the table. eco smile
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RussVernonRadio Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Good Preview Sam well written as always.

RussVernonRadio
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Tbh I don't think top is out of reach for any of us. Teams at the top are dropping points like flies. A three game winning streak is enough to put you with a great chance.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Arsene on Ramsey and Gerrard

In recent weeks the manager has been priming a youngster to counteract the likes of Gerrard. Aaron Ramsey’s role for his last 180 minutes has had two steely components - a defensive shield but also a harrow, breaking up the opposition’s midfield fluency.

The Welshman performed well against West Ham and Brighton but Gerrard remains one of the ultimate tests. He has been one of the best British midfielders in the Premier League era and, in the past 18 months, has shown a mature side of his footballing character - the ability to evolve.

“Gerrard is more involved with distribution now,” Wenger said ahead of the game. “His passes are still deadly, his crosses are still deadly but he is a bit more at the start of things. Before he was more finishing things off. However for me he is still a great, great player.”

Ramsey has changed too and, like Gerrard, has altered his attacking instincts. The temperance of the Welshman, however, is because of the progression of the team, not the progression of time. Mikel Arteta and Francis Coquelin are injured so Wenger asked the 22-year-old to drop back. Reading between the lines, you sense Ramsey might not be merely keeping the seat warm.

“I believe Aaron has a fantastic engine and fantastic qualities, now he has to use them in a very intelligent way,” said the Frenchman.

“He is an bright player who understands football well and if he can bring his qualities to the team play he will be the outstanding player that I think he can be.

“He takes things on board and tries to do what you ask him to do. In the last two games I think you could see a really positive transformation in his game.”

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:59 pm

I still trust Ramsey. My avatar is a testimony to that fact. :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Gerrard will be sitting deeper than Henderson so it will be Suarez and Henderson that Ramsey has to deal with more often than Stevie.

Given our wide attackers both like to come inside Sagna and Gibbs could get a lot of space and time to push forward and join the attack.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 pm

RedOranje wrote:Gerrard will be sitting deeper than Henderson so it will be Suarez and Henderson that Ramsey has to deal with more often than Stevie.

Given our wide attackers both like to come inside Sagna and Gibbs could get a lot of space and time to push forward and join the attack.

hmm
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 pm

srigooner wrote:I still trust Ramsey. My avatar is a testimony to that fact. :coffee:

:coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Not sure that's something to be bumped, given the two players that scored and Ramsey's failure at stopping the second in particular.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:58 pm

Both Liverpool goals were incredibly lucky. Don't know how many rabbit feet Rodgers had on his person, but it did the trick
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 pm

RedOranje wrote:Not sure that's something to be bumped, given the two players that scored and Ramsey's failure at stopping the second in particular.
Lex wrote:Both Liverpool goals were incredibly lucky. Don't know how many rabbit feet Rodgers had on his person, but it did the trick

1. I agree with Lex here.
2. Ramsey was among our better players on the night.

For the first: I am still trying to count how many players couldn't get their feet sorted to stop that.

For the second: Ramsey actually got the ball away (well almost). Santos blocked the block, and put it back into the feet of Henderson. :facepalm: I don't fault Ramsey for Santos's footballing genius.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down