Ganso
ronalessi
CBarca
RealGunner
Swanhends
51 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

North American TV Rights: Current Status Empty North American TV Rights: Current Status

Post by Swanhends Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:41 pm

This will be of interest to a lot of people here (including any and all traitors who claim to be from elsewhere :coffee:)

Here's where we stand: FOX owned the rights to EPL games since 1998 in North America. ESPN had been drawing awesome ratings (for the early-morning weekend time slot) for its sublicense of the EPL (80 matches/yr)

However, now NBC came out of nowhere to buy the EPL rights with a bid of around $83 million per year, more than 3x the $23 million per year that Fox has been paying.

So now FOX has lost rights for ALL live league games in North America: they already lost MLS (to NBC Sports), EPL (To NBC), Serie A (to BeIN Sports), and Ligue 1 (to BeIN) ...Fox is left with basically nothing in terms of league football

BeIN also purchased the rights to La Liga (winning them from GolTV)

Fox did however, win the English-language rights to the 2018 and 2022 World Cup and other FIFA events, beginning with the 2015 Women's World Cup in Canada, but it will soon be without its most popular soccer channel to promote them.

Apparently (this is news to me) Fox and ESPN actually launched a JOINT bid for the US media rights to the EPL for seasons 2013-16, (which, as I mentioned, they lost)...Now one of the unlikely winners here is the FA Cup. While FOX has left than six months remaining in its contract with the EPL, they DO have the US rights to the FA Cup through 2017-18. That provides them with some chances to continue broadcasting live English football games through 2018, when FOX has the rights to the FIFA World Cup. While the number of FA Cup matches is limited (from January through May when Premier League teams participate in the tournament), its at least SOMETHING to bolster its coverage of the UEFA Champions League and Europa League. With Fox only having five months of the Premier League remaining before NBC takes over, Fox has decided to boost its coverage of the FA Cup by moving two of its matches to the free-to-air FOX network

The first to be shown live this Saturday at Noon ET when West Ham United plays Manchester United in the third round of the FA Cup. The other is the FA Cup Final on May 11, 2013.

Summary:

Fox - FA Cup, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, FIFA World Cup 2018, FIFA World Cup 2022, CONCACAF Gold Cup, CONCACAF Champions League

BeIN - Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, USMNT World Cup 2014 Qualifiers

NBC - EPL, MLS

ESPN - 2014 FIFA World Cup, 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, 2016 UEFA European Championship

Last edited by Swanhends on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

North American TV Rights: Current Status Empty Re: North American TV Rights: Current Status

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:45 pm

You have Fox don't you bhends ?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

North American TV Rights: Current Status Empty Re: North American TV Rights: Current Status

Post by CBarca Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm

When does NBC start showing EPL?
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:49 pm

RealGunner wrote:You have Fox don't you bhends ?

At school I get Fox Soccer, at my parents house I get NBC Sports

@CBarca they own the rights starting at the end of this season (May)

Edit: For clarity, FOX and NBC have multiple channels each. While FOX has owned the rights to EPL since 1998, they very (VERY) rarely have shown games on their free-to-air network TV channels, the games have been exclusively on Fox Soccer (a channel they own, which you usually have to pay extra for)

NBC will now own EPL rights, but it is unclear how many of the games will be televised on their free-to-air network channel, most games will likely by shown on NBC Sports (Which is usually included in most cable packages, unlike Fox Sports)

Everyone with a basic cable package gets ESPN

BeIN Sport is just like Fox Soccer, its a channel you have to pay extra to get
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:54 pm

This is amazing :bow:

I don't have fox soccer but I do have NBC Sports. Not as much streaming :bow:

WTF am I going to do for World Cup 2018 and 2022 scratch ...I guess I'll find out, I'll be 21 and 25 years old, respectively.

Fox getting wrecked here :/
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by ronalessi Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:57 pm

No La Liga on TV in Canada since beIN purchased the North American rights. Pathetic. Laughing
ronalessi
ronalessi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:00 pm

Ronalessi,dat avatar ffs
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Annoyed that beIN has so many of the competitions' rights since it's not available with many of the cable providers. Also a bit pissed that NBC got the rights to the PL as they've been a bit... inconsistent in their MLS coverage, to say the least.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Ganso wrote:Ronalessi,dat avatar ffs

Laughing

I miss gol tv Sad
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:57 pm

YAAAAS NBC Sports :bow: :bow: Goodbye streaming
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:12 pm

CBarca wrote:This is amazing :bow:

I don't have fox soccer but I do have NBC Sports. Not as much streaming :bow:

WTF am I going to do for World Cup 2018 and 2022 scratch ...I guess I'll find out, I'll be 21 and 25 years old, respectively.

Fox getting wrecked here :/

2018 and 2022 still a long way away, but as things stand Fox would likely air games over all three of FOX, FX, and Fox Soccer
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by norton Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:27 pm

I had to switch from Verizon FIOS to Comcast to get BEIN Sport and Serie A and La Liga. I can also watch Ligue 1, but I rarely do unless PSG is playing.

norton
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Fox getting wrecked is a good thing...They are a shit network and have no ambition

Also Rupert Murdoch is a c*nt of the highest order

Im excited for NBC Sports...ESPN desperately needs a serious competitor, and even though they've had some early bumps, NBC Sports is heading in the right direction
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Sportsnet World is all I need in Canada and I get every EPL game, Champs League game, WC Qualifier, WC games, Euro qualifier, Euro game, some german cup games

and TSN covers the ESPN games, which every standard cable package gets

La Liga and Serie A should be coming soon with beIN but in canada the CRTC(broadcasting board) takes there sweet time with approving new channels etc.
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Ew. NBC.

The worst damn coverage of the Olympics. I can't wait to see what they do with this.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:58 pm

FalcaoPunch wrote:Ew. NBC.

The worst damn coverage of the Olympics. I can't wait to see what they do with this.

loool agreed there...Hopefully Bob Costas doesn't get involved, and then everything will be alright

The one thing that I am very upset about here is the commentary though...

I have never liked Arlo White...Im convinced people think he is good because he is English

Meanwhile Ian Darke and Macca with ESPN are so damn awesome...now what are they going to do between May 2013 and WC 2014 Sad
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:58 pm

B-Mac MUFC wrote:Sportsnet World is all I need in Canada and I get every EPL game, Champs League game, WC Qualifier, WC games, Euro qualifier, Euro game, some german cup games

La Liga and Serie A should be coming soon with beIN but in canada the CRTC(broadcasting board) takes there sweet time with approving new channels etc.
Canada :bow:
Sportsnet World :bow:
Me ignoring how fecking expensive my subscription is :bow:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Well I'm finally making the switch to Xfinity. Hopefully it's good.
I currently have Fios. But it's to pricey now and they show almost no games any more.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 am

I'm a little concerned abotu the switch from Fox to NBC. Fox has devoted a network to the sport, where NBC has only had spotty coverage of MLS, even after acquiring nearly exclusive rights.

I'm really hoping that NBC's bid is a strong sign of commitment to proper coverage and that the NBC Sports Network is heavily utilized in the same way Fox Soccer has been used here in the US. Where fox hasn't been great, they have been consistent and have offered a large lineup of the leagues they have the rights to.

NBC certainly has the resources to do far better than Fox, but their execution so far has been lacking. I'm hoping for drastic improvement as we approach the transition of rights.

As an aside, does anyone know what the fate of the Fox Soccer Channel will be?
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:29 pm

B-Mac MUFC wrote:Sportsnet World is all I need in Canada and I get every EPL game, Champs League game, WC Qualifier, WC games, Euro qualifier, Euro game, some german cup games

You are so lucky to get every PL game.

I just cancelled my Sky after a month because I was still in a position where I had to stream Utd games. fck that.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuru Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 pm

pffft. you guys need someone like Al-Jazeera Sports, a network that buys almost every league and cup competition known on earth (Except the PL). And actually shows every match with reruns! No more headaches.
Kuru
Kuru
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeezus Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:02 am

Rebaño Sagrado wrote:
Ganso wrote:Ronalessi,dat avatar ffs

Laughing

I miss gol tv Sad

Tbf, GolTV never actually tried. They had Ray Hudson and Phil Schoen sitting in a brothel watching Spanish League matches ffs. Showed La Liga for 2011-2012, while airing a show with goal highlights from the 2009-2010 season :facepalm:

Yeezus
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:55 am

RED wrote:

I just cancelled my Sky after a month because I was still in a position where I had to stream Utd games. fck that.

ya it's not bad pay 17$ a month for it....you get like 12 HD channels that will have all the games on so u can choose what ever game u like. get FA cup games aswell, only thing it doesn't get is captial one cup
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by _LMG_10_ Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:40 pm

B-Mac MUFC wrote:
RED wrote:

ya it's not bad pay 17$ a month for it....you get like 12 HD channels that will have all the games on so u can choose what ever game u like. get FA cup games aswell, only thing it doesn't get is captial one cup

Which provider are you with?

_LMG_10_
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://www.eurofootballweb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 pm

_LMG_10_ wrote:
B-Mac MUFC wrote:
RED wrote:

Which provider are you with?

Rogers
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next