beatrixasdfghjk.
guest7
Soul
22 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Laptop Related - Page 3 Empty Re: Laptop Related

Post by FCBarça Tue May 15, 2012 8:21 am

I'm not a rabid Apple fanboy...I had an iphone4 (Which I enjoyed) for about a year but otherwise never owned any other iphone, ipod etc...I'm a closet tech geek and even built a PC from the ground up on my own...But I'm strictly a MBP user, been that way for almost 6 years now...Never say never but I am quite content with it

How many PC laptop users can say their laptop has never crashed in 6 years?...I wager no one...I can say that about the 3 MBPs I've had in that time though

I will say though, I'm not thrilled with the direction Apple & it's OS has been heading

FCBarça
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Tue May 15, 2012 8:24 am

Seriously, all you people crying about Windows 8 without even trying it.
Yes, they got rid of the start button, but the replacement menu is goddamn beautiful, and really, they do the same thing.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Tue May 15, 2012 11:54 am

Sushi Master wrote:Macs are overpriced as shit.

You have no reason not to get a PC because Windows ain't shit anymore like it used to be.

But yeah, Win 7. Stay away from that Win8 blasphemy.

"Windows ain't shit anymore... but stay away from windows 8 cause its shit"

:lol!:
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue May 15, 2012 12:24 pm

FCBarça wrote:

How many PC laptop users can say their laptop has never crashed in 6 years?...I wager no one...I can say that about the 3 MBPs I've had in that time though

I will say though, I'm not thrilled with the direction Apple & it's OS has been heading

in 10 years of using desktop and laptop windows systems i've had two crashes, one was a motherboard *bleep* up and i caused the other one

it's all about how you treat the technology
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by FCBarça Tue May 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Desktops vs laptops is apples & oranges though...I also had at least 3 or 4 pc laptops over the last 10-14 years and for everyone of them crashing was not uncommon...They were treated the same yet one could handle it consistently, the other couldn't

Last edited by FCBarça on Wed May 16, 2012 5:44 am; edited 2 times in total
FCBarça
FCBarça
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 pm

The_ItalianFool wrote:Che, have you ever owned a macbook?

There is a serious jump in quality over your average laptop.... not even comparable. Hardware and software.
Is this a joke? Apple hardware is worse compared to PC's with similar prices. Besides that, you can't upgrade hardware on a Mac unless you want go with one of their few compatible upgrade options (which are, just like anything from Apple, overpriced).

The software is a matter of taste and industry standards but in general, Windows can do pretty much anything a Mac can (and more). The biggest difference being gaming.

Regarding the 'smooth' interface: Windows PCs often have bloatware causing upheaval. It all depends on the manufacturer. The architecture of Windows also requires a lot of mobility because of compatibility needs. Macs don't.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue May 15, 2012 11:05 pm

che wrote:
FCBarça wrote:

in 10 years of using desktop and laptop windows systems i've had two crashes, one was a motherboard *bleep* up and i caused the other one

it's all about how you treat the technology

THIS...

Seriously, I'm not the most experienced or knowledgeable tech guy out there by any means, but if you take good care of your stuff, it will take good care of you.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed May 16, 2012 10:50 pm

My trackpad hasn't been working right for awhile, had to switch from touch-click to tap-to-click....finally took it into the apple store today, got it replaced for free because of applecare

Hipsters are good for some things cheers
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Wed May 16, 2012 11:54 pm

BhritanniaBhlue wrote:My trackpad hasn't been working right for awhile, had to switch from touch-click to tap-to-click....finally took it into the apple store today, got it replaced for free because of applecare

If that happened with a PC then they would charge you nearly the price of a new laptop to fix it... :study:
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Thu May 17, 2012 7:27 am

The_ItalianFool wrote:
BhritanniaBhlue wrote:My trackpad hasn't been working right for awhile, had to switch from touch-click to tap-to-click....finally took it into the apple store today, got it replaced for free because of applecare

If that happened with a PC then they would charge you nearly the price of a new laptop to fix it... :study:
No, I think it depends on whether you're covered by warranty or not :coffee:.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by che Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 am

The_ItalianFool wrote:

buying two laptops is still cheaper than one mac with an extended warranty Laughing
che
che
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu May 17, 2012 9:03 am

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

No, I think it depends on whether you're covered by warranty or not :coffee:.
Indeed. You can always buy extended warranty for PCs and it'll still end up cheaper.

Go on Dell's website and find a laptop, which is equivalent hardware-wise to a Mac. You can find laptops that are much better hardware wise, have better warranty plans and still cost a lot cheaper than a Mac.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Thu May 17, 2012 9:54 am

che wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

buying two laptops is still cheaper than one mac with an extended warranty Laughing

And one macbook would outlast both of those 2 laptops Laughing

My bro had a dell with a standard warranty. Didnt make it to 3 years, and the warranty did not replace his harddrive after it crashed.

My friend here in Spain was downloading torrents onto his mac, and got a virus (rare- i know). took it to the apple store in Madrid, he got it fixed on the spot, free, and they even gave him his old corrupted harddrive back.
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Thu May 17, 2012 10:02 am

Didn't last three years, what happened?

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Thu May 17, 2012 10:11 am

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Didn't last three years, what happened?

Battery burnt out and hard drive crashed
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu May 17, 2012 2:23 pm

The_ItalianFool wrote:
che wrote:
The_ItalianFool wrote:

And one macbook would outlast both of those 2 laptops Laughing

My bro had a dell with a standard warranty. Didnt make it to 3 years, and the warranty did not replace his harddrive after it crashed.

My friend here in Spain was downloading torrents onto his mac, and got a virus (rare- i know). took it to the apple store in Madrid, he got it fixed on the spot, free, and they even gave him his old corrupted harddrive back.
I have a Dell desktop which has so far lasted 6 years but the first harddrive died. They replaced the harddrive for free and I didn't even have to go to any store to get it done. The new harddrive has lasted a good 4 years or so. All on a standard warranty. :vagi:

Battery burnt out and hard drive crashed
How long ago was this? Dell used to have some faulty batteries a few years ago issued by Sony. His laptop might have been part of this flop.

Either way, the biggest problem I've had with any manufacturer was Asus. The laptop came with some faulty line of Nvidia graphics chips and it took me like five months to get my money back for that garbage. Most of the time they were just busy ignoring me on the phone. Laughing

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by che Thu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm

The_ItalianFool wrote:

see, this is the kind of people who should stick to macs... if you can't download proper torrents and are too stupid to run an antivirus, you get infected... and if you get infected and you're too stupid to take care of it yourself, you have to take it to the apple store where the "geniuses" run a spyware scan, delete two registry lines and give you your precious mac back

also i've had an asus shipped for a warranty hd replacement and it came back within a week with a brand new hd running perfectly fine :vagi:
che
che
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Thu May 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Macs don't have registries :vagi:.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Two pc cheaper than a Mac. Of course.
But of shitty quality.

You could choose a basic asus, 4 gbs of ram, i3/i5, intel HD, 500/320 5400rpm hard drive for roughly maybe 399 or 449 at any bestbuy.

But it's such shit. The cheap plastic frame with the horribly designed island spacing keyboard. Terribly positioned ventilation. The bevels of which hold the lid are crap. Sure upgrade ram then what? It's as limited as upgrading a MacBook in that aspect. The only saving grace is that it's an Asus brand which is great an all. But with windows pc there definitely is a certain price threshold you have to hit to get a decent pc.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by che Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 pm

ColoJunior wrote:Two pc cheaper than a Mac. Of course.
But of shitty quality.

no

this is my laptop:
http://www.amazon.com/N61JQ-X1-16-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B00352LQZS
i've had it for two years, only problem it's had was caused by me

this is the equivalent mac (more or less, macs don't come with 16 inch screens, the cpu is slightly different and the mac doesn't list the gpu so i assume it's some shitty onboard intel graphics
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD311LL/A#hardware

LITERALLY twice as expensive, and that's without the glorious apple warranty

and the worst thing is that the top of the line default mac has the same specs as my two year old pc, which wasn't even high end when i bought it :facepalm:
che
che
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Are you comparing a MacBook Air or Pro?
GPU are always listed when buying a Mac? That's across the board for any computer.

By default if you have an intel chipset it's an intel hd 3000 soon to be 4000 on the new ivy bridge. And besides basic graphics cards on laptops aren't a big deal.

For the most part people that game won't choose a laptop since building a pc is much a cheaper option. And those that do end up getting a extremely high laptop like a republic of gamers laptop from asus what the G74 I think?

FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by che Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 pm

click the link, there's no gpu listed

if you're in my situation (moving abroad for university) a gaming laptop is pretty much the only option so yeah... obviously desktops >>> but what the hell can i do

and i really don't wanna go into hardcore gaming laptops vs macbooks, a top end g74 takes such a giant steaming pile of shit on the best mac it's not even funny... doesn't cost half as much though, you'd only save 400-500 pounds
che
che
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Thu May 17, 2012 8:03 pm

wow the specs you posted are pretty good che. Btw, is that touch pad like the one on mac? two finger scrolling or zooming kind of thing?

and compared to the hd webcam on macbook pro, how does the 2mp one on yours fare?
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Thu May 17, 2012 8:05 pm

and how good is that gaming graphics chip?
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by che Thu May 17, 2012 8:16 pm

yea it has a multi touch, scrolling and zooming

graphics card is about as good as you're gonna get in this price range... runs skyrim on high, put it this way

the webcam is utter shit though, the picture quality is half decent but there's like a 2 second input lag Laughing
che
che
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Thu May 17, 2012 8:21 pm

@Che the link you posted is the very last page you see once you've chosen a mac from this page:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro

It lists all the detailed specs of each model. The HD webcam on Mac shits on all other webcams. Sony, Samsung, Asus, etc

Even the software. Photobooth blows cyberlink youcam or sony vaio media gallery out of the water.

@ Soul

If you're looking for gaming definitely go with a PC. More bang for the buck if you know what you're looking for. That way you can eliminate cost by not essentially paying for bells and whistles you'll never use.

Avoid Intel HD chipsets. They are cheap and only really good for well "nothing" really. They are just there to be there.

As for Nvidia vs ATI... not my alley. My dell xps 15z has like a Nvidia 525 which I believe is just a basic/entry level nvidia. So i'm not sure if it's anygood. I'm trying to find out if Diablo 3 would run on it.

My dell:
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2430M processor (2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus
6GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz

Good machine for what I use it for. Never game on it. I only use it really for torrents, movies,music, and Adobe CS5. No videgraphy though.

So with those specs anyone know if Diablo 3 will run... decently at least.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next