Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world?

+20
michael1
Highburied
The Messiah
S32TABLANCA
zarola
rwo power
Sushi Master
Raptorgunner
Magricos
uzonero
aford92
baresi
Kick
dostoevsky
S
Pedram
Divine Intervention
Adit
jibers
pasquale22
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world? Empty Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world?

Post by pasquale22 Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:53 am

Edinson Cavani has simply continued where he left off last season in Serie A. Once more, the striker has taken on the mantle of the main man, the key figure in front of goal, the talisman and quite possibly the player the Neopolitans have been crying out for since the days of a certain little Argentine.

Cavani has had yet another scintillating start to the season and his form is genuinely begging the question - is Cavani the best striker in the world? Already this year he has hit a devastating hatrick against reigning champions Milan, almost single-handedly downing the best team in the country. He hit trebles on no less than three occasions last season in important victories over Sampdoria, Juventus and Lazio and deservedly ended the season as the club's top scorer ever in a single Serie A season with 25 goals.

'El Matador' would likely have hit more to finish the campaign as Capocannoniere were it not for a suspension towards the end of the season for his sarcastic applause after being sent off which allowed Udinese marksman Antonio Di Natale to surpass him but the world had sat up to take notice of the tall Uruguayan striker after a truly phenomenal season. One man who will have been both embarrassed and shocked at the form shown by Cavani will be the fiery Palermo President Maurizio Zamparini. He allowed the striker to move on loan to Naples and then make the move official for a fee of just 17 million euros.

Cavani, whose sublime scoring has even earned him his own pizza in his adopted city (which interestingly he does not like as it "contains too many toppings"), has repaid that investment every weekend since. He can rightly hold a claim to being the world's best. There are of course the obvious contenders and outstanding talents like Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo who many consider to be untouchable. Their goalscoring records speak for themselves but so too does that of the Napoli striker. So far his record in Serie A for Napoli shows that he has played 39 games for the Partenopei and has hit the back of the net 29 times in this period of time. Absolutely outstanding.

Why should Cavani not be considered as the best? The answer would seem to lie in the media. Serie A does not benefit from the overall coverage and exposure that the players like Messi and Ronaldo's La Liga does or Sergio Aguero and Wayne Rooney's English Premier League enjoys. Players are not given the same praise and treatment if they play in Serie A and although most would recognise Cavani as possibly a 'decent goalscorer', few would acknowledge him as being one the best as the hardcore followers of the Italian championship would.

He came to the attention of those in England though last month when Manchester City took on Napoli at home in the Champions League expecting to easily dispose of their opponents. Edinson Cavani had other ideas though with his well-taken strike making him Napoli's first ever goalscorer in the Champions League and earning his side an important draw.

He also managed to score a number of crucial goals in European games last season for the Azzurri on their Europa League adventure and it seems that the bigger the occasion, the better the performance from Cavani. That, perhaps more than any other quality, is the mark of a truly potent and top class striker. Most good strikers can score against the 'lesser' sides they come up against but the Matador does so when the chips are down and his team need him to step up. His many strikes against the likes of Milan, Roma, Lazio and Juventus are evidence of this.

Cavani is absolutely clinical for the San Paolo side and when he is on the ball you can genuinely feel the excitement and expectation rise around the stadium. Also, Cavani has that other masterful technique which sets him apart from a great deal of the rest and that is his lethal ability to score goals from anywhere. He can score with both feet, with his head, from the penalty spot, from the six yard box and from 30 yards. He is a genuinely special player and is deserving of every plaudit that comes his way.

What about the striker himself though? Would he agree with this assessment on himself that most fans of calcio now have? True to his humble and modest nature Cavani shrugs it off and would much rather concentrate on the team as a whole and securing the Scudetto. "I enjoy scoring and playing for these fans," the Uruguayan said, "but I dream of the Scudetto. All I want is the title." If Napoli are to fight for the Scudetto it will be his goals and his performances that decide the outcome.

As things stand and with his terrific performances over the past year or so for both club and country, you could not discount him as another great striker anymore. Cavani has deserved to now be spoken of alongside the best. When talking of the best strikers in the world he should be mentioned alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Aguero. His goals alone have earned him that right. Whether or not he should be spoken of as being better than these players, well you can make your own mind up on that.
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world? Empty Re: Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:54 am

No. A lot of knee jerking around here.

Back to top Go down

Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world? Empty Re: Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world?

Post by jibers Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:54 am

Gomez says hi.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:57 am

Is he?

I will place Villa,Van persy,Benzema,Rooney,Ibra,Aguero all ahead of him
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Intervention Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:57 am

Yes, he is.Cavani edges Gomez marginally. Cavani possesses far better shooting or passing technique than Gomez whereas Gomez is a lot more physical. Still, I don't see Gomez score lot from outside the box,workrate is about even, none of them are pure poachers like people make them out to be. Cavani could score from everywhere.
Divine Intervention
Divine Intervention
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:08 pm

No :coffee:
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Intervention Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:12 pm

El Pipita wrote:No :coffee:
Higuain isn't anywhere near Cavani or Gomez league :coffee:

Last edited by Divine Intervention on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Divine Intervention
Divine Intervention
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Intervention Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Adit wrote:Is he?

I will place Villa,Van persy,Benzema,Rooney,Ibra,Aguero all ahead of him
Why do you keep mentioning supporting strikers from all over the world? Only Villa could qualify for striker role from your list. I think you get too much hardon from senseles skills/dribbling :coffee:

Last edited by Divine Intervention on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Divine Intervention
Divine Intervention
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 pm

I would place Gomez and Cavani as the top two strikers at the moment.

Last edited by Surag.Blueguy on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:19 pm

I know Russia's a long way away, however Samuel Eto'o hasn't died in the past two months, he deserves a mention still.

I'd still consider Villa, Eto'o and Ibrahimovic to be ahead of him, however he's getting very close. Consistency is the key to proving you're the best in the world, he simply hasn't enjoyed a long enough stay at the top to be called the best striker in the world. In the best form is another question of course, however I differentiate between form and the question the opening post is asking.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Intervention Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:21 pm

dostoevsky wrote:I know Russia's a long way away, however Samuel Eto'o hasn't died in the past two months, he deserves a mention still.

I'd still consider Villa, Eto'o and Ibrahimovic to be ahead of him, however he's getting very close. Consistency is the key to proving you're the best in the world, he simply hasn't enjoyed a long enough stay at the top to be called the best striker in the world. In the best form is another question of course, however I differentiate between form and the question the opening post is asking.
Cavani possesses huge margins of class. As you know class is permanent :coffee:
Divine Intervention
Divine Intervention
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Eto'o, Drogba, Gomez and Falcao are all ahead of him IMO.

However, he is a fantastic player.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by pasquale22 Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Toss up between Gomez and Cavani for me
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:51 pm

kick mars wrote:Eto'o, Drogba, Gomez and Falcao are all ahead of him IMO.

However, he is a fantastic player.

Yes he needs a few more consistently great seasons to be mentioned in the same breath as Eto'o ,Drogba ,Villa and Ibra.

I think i would place Cavani in equal regard alongside the likes of Gomez and Falcao.I dont believe both are ahead of him however you cant seperate these three strikers currently.All these three strikers play in the top leagues and they are unquestionably the most in form strikers at the moment.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by baresi Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Well Cavani's name is certainly rising, so far I see him on the right path, first of all he is still in his mid 20s, he had an outstanding season for Napoli where the pressure was not much on him, I had my doubts and wanted to see him perform in the CL and he impressed so far, five games into the season says its still fresh it would be interesting to see how he will manage the rest of the season with him being under the spot light, once the season heats up and the heat of the CL gets into him and Napoli players, if he keeps performing at that level I would say yes he is among the the best, if not I would say he is just another CR7.

Last edited by baresi on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
baresi
baresi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by aford92 Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Great player? Yes. Best striker in the world? No. He isn't even the best striker in Serie A. Di Natale is.
aford92
aford92
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by uzonero Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:05 pm

i think cavani deserves a mention among the top strikers in the world right now.
Absolutely better than the likes of drogba atm
uzonero
uzonero
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:13 pm

wow he's a good player but seriously.....

Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world? 1625187496

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:07 pm

SS are still strikers and somebody mentioned Drogba scratch

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:23 pm

He is one of the best, IMO not in the top 10 yet.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:27 pm

2nd only to Gomez. Van Persie is in great from but overall club form doesn't help him out.

He's the striker with the most potential, though. In 3 years he'll be a beast.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Cavani, just as Gomez (who usually gets forgotten somehow), are strikers who play great for both club and country, thus they should be rated higher than certain other strikers who like to disappear when playing for their country. Oh, and you really can't discount Klose either - now at Lazio he shows pretty nice club form in addition for his ever perfect NT showings, too. Pity he was injured this international week.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by zarola Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:48 pm

rwo power wrote:Cavani, just as Gomez (who usually gets forgotten somehow), are strikers who play great for both club and country, thus they should be rated higher than certain other strikers who like to disappear when playing for their country. Oh, and you really can't discount Klose either - now at Lazio he shows pretty nice club form in addition for his ever perfect NT showings, too. Pity he was injured this international week.

good post. I freaking hate how people judge a certain player just because of their name. Cavani vs Ronaldo? I'd take Cavani... performs at international and club, and is a HUGE asset defensively as well, a great workhorse and a great striker... a true team player. Cavani vs Ibrahimovic - both score fantastic goals, ones motivated, the others not, ones a consistent scorer, the others not, ones helping their team in CL, the other is not, one's a hard worker, the other is not. Villa, ok you got a case there, Gomez, yeah maybe if I were a bundesliga/german fan I'd pick him over Cavani, it's hard to really say.....

but Cavani > Ibra, Drogba, Torres, etc. atm, sorry.
zarola
zarola
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by baresi Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:35 pm

If he keeps it up and helps Napoli going far in the CL, and top 3 in the league, I wonder how much he would be worth next summer? Will he leave Napoli any time soon?
baresi
baresi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Yeah, but Ronaldo isnt a striker, and Messi isnt the kind of striker to compare with Gomez and Cavani, so its not fair to compare. If you did, then obviously those two would be better. IMO the best forward line right now would be:

Messi-------Ronaldo
------Cavani
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next