Xavi vs Scholes

+19
Magricos
ausbaz
harhar11
RED
tikitaka
Abramovich
EarlyPrototype
cheesy
El Chelsea Fuerte
ChollaVille
billy_gr
djoe26
cyberman
Arquitecto
RealGunner
alexjanosik
Grande_Milano
jibers
Adit
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

who was better at prime?

Xavi vs Scholes Vote_lcap45%Xavi vs Scholes Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 20 ]
Xavi vs Scholes Vote_lcap36%Xavi vs Scholes Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 16 ]
Xavi vs Scholes Vote_lcap18%Xavi vs Scholes Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 8 ]
 
Total Votes : 44
 
 

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Xavi vs Scholes

Post by Adit Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Even if some may argue they are completely different players,you can judge players based on their effect on their respective teams.









smoking
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach
Posts : 9545
Join date : 2011-06-06

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by jibers Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:56 pm

I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 10236
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by Grande_Milano Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:09 pm

Xavi>Pirlo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Scholes Sad
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille
Posts : 2250
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by jibers Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Grande_Milano wrote:Xavi>Pirlo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Scholes Sad

If you say so.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 10236
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by Grande_Milano Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:37 pm

jibers wrote:
Grande_Milano wrote:Xavi>Pirlo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Scholes Sad

If you say so.

Well, both have won WCs, and ve been close to Balon D Or, actually should ve got it. Scholes? No.
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille
Posts : 2250
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by alexjanosik Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:40 pm

jibers wrote:I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.

All I will say is Xavi at the Emirates.
No one player has gone to Emirates or Highbury and completely played Arsenal off the park like Xavi did in the 09-10 season.
Scholes has never done that.Scholes simply cant do everything Xavi can.If so wheres the proof.
Name the big European games that Scholes has completely and utterly dominated the midfield and set the tempo in.
They both did things the other cant.
Xavi was never the goalscorer Scholes was and though you may believe so Scholes was never ever the midfield orchestrator Xavi is.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Posts : 3236
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by alexjanosik Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:41 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.

All I will say is Xavi at the Emirates.
No one player has gone to Emirates or Highbury(under Wenger) and completely played Arsenal off the park like Xavi did in the 09-10 season.
Scholes has never done that.Scholes simply cant do everything Xavi can.If so wheres the proof.
Name the big European games that Scholes has completely and utterly dominated the midfield and set the tempo in.
They both did things the other cant.
Xavi was never the goalscorer Scholes was and though you may believe so Scholes was never ever the midfield orchestrator Xavi is.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Posts : 3236
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Xavi.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 89404
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by Arquitecto Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:45 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.

All I will say is Xavi at the Emirates.
No one player has gone to Emirates or Highbury and completely played Arsenal off the park like Xavi did in the 09-10 season.
Scholes has never done that.Scholes simply cant do everything Xavi can.If so wheres the proof.
Name the big European games that Scholes has completely and utterly dominated the midfield and set the tempo in.
They both did things the other cant.
Xavi was never the goalscorer Scholes was and though you may believe so Scholes was never ever the midfield orchestrator Xavi is.

I'll save my opinions for later.

But you know my views on why I feel Xavi's performance against Germany is better.

One of the greatest midfield performances in the history of the beautiful game.

It cemented my idolization for the maestro.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Sociedad
Posts : 11775
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by alexjanosik Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Arquitecto wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.

All I will say is Xavi at the Emirates.
No one player has gone to Emirates or Highbury and completely played Arsenal off the park like Xavi did in the 09-10 season.
Scholes has never done that.Scholes simply cant do everything Xavi can.If so wheres the proof.
Name the big European games that Scholes has completely and utterly dominated the midfield and set the tempo in.
They both did things the other cant.
Xavi was never the goalscorer Scholes was and though you may believe so Scholes was never ever the midfield orchestrator Xavi is.

I'll save my opinions for later.

But you know my views on why I feel Xavi's performance against Germany is better.

One of the greatest midfield performances in the history of the beautiful game.

It cemented my idolization for the maestro.

I guess it comes down to personal preference.The performance against Arsenal brought tears to my eyes and made me love the beautiful game even more.
And guess what.Capello agrees!!!!!!!!!!

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Posts : 3236
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by jibers Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:08 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.

All I will say is Xavi at the Emirates.
No one player has gone to Emirates or Highbury and completely played Arsenal off the park like Xavi did in the 09-10 season.
Scholes has never done that.Scholes simply cant do everything Xavi can.If so wheres the proof.
Name the big European games that Scholes has completely and utterly dominated the midfield and set the tempo in.
They both did things the other cant.
Xavi was never the goalscorer Scholes was and though you may believe so Scholes was never ever the midfield orchestrator Xavi is.

The Arsenal performance was indeed amazing but surely Xavi's role is made hell of a lot easier by the fact that his team is based on possession. I'm not takijng anything away from him as he is the best in the world at what he does but I think if you had put scholes in that team and asked him to do the same he would have been able to. That first 30 minutes in the emirates is the most dominant performance I have evr seen in my life.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 10236
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by alexjanosik Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:14 pm

jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.

All I will say is Xavi at the Emirates.
No one player has gone to Emirates or Highbury and completely played Arsenal off the park like Xavi did in the 09-10 season.
Scholes has never done that.Scholes simply cant do everything Xavi can.If so wheres the proof.
Name the big European games that Scholes has completely and utterly dominated the midfield and set the tempo in.
They both did things the other cant.
Xavi was never the goalscorer Scholes was and though you may believe so Scholes was never ever the midfield orchestrator Xavi is.

The Arsenal performance was indeed amazing but surely Xavi's role is made hell of a lot easier by the fact that his team is based on possession. I'm not takijng anything away from him as he is the best in the world at what he does but I think if you had put scholes in that team and asked him to do the same he would have been able to. That first 30 minutes in the emirates is the most dominant performance I have evr seen in my life.

But then Barca's play is based on possession and Xavi was brought up on that philosohpy.Just like United had a different philosophy.
So is it fair to criticize Xavi for not scoring as many goals as Scholes.Cause he was just not brought up on it.Just like Scholes was not brought up on possession football.
They are/were both elite footballers who will go down as all time greats.And each had something the other didnt.Lets leave it at that.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Posts : 3236
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by jibers Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:17 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.

All I will say is Xavi at the Emirates.
No one player has gone to Emirates or Highbury and completely played Arsenal off the park like Xavi did in the 09-10 season.
Scholes has never done that.Scholes simply cant do everything Xavi can.If so wheres the proof.
Name the big European games that Scholes has completely and utterly dominated the midfield and set the tempo in.
They both did things the other cant.
Xavi was never the goalscorer Scholes was and though you may believe so Scholes was never ever the midfield orchestrator Xavi is.

The Arsenal performance was indeed amazing but surely Xavi's role is made hell of a lot easier by the fact that his team is based on possession. I'm not takijng anything away from him as he is the best in the world at what he does but I think if you had put scholes in that team and asked him to do the same he would have been able to. That first 30 minutes in the emirates is the most dominant performance I have evr seen in my life.

But then Barca's play is based on possession and Xavi was brought up on that philosohpy.Just like United had a different philosophy.
So is it fair to criticize Xavi for not scoring as many goals as Scholes.Cause he was just not brought up on it.Just like Scholes was not brought up on possession football.
They are/were both elite footballers who will go down as all time greats.And each had something the other didnt.Lets leave it at that.

Yea good points. They are completely differnt players, in fact I think scholes is somwhere in between xavi and iniesta, but you have to admit it's easier to control the tempo for barca than it would be for a team like let's say, spurs where the cms barely see the ball. That's my point (and you're point I guess).
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 10236
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by alexjanosik Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:28 pm

jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.

All I will say is Xavi at the Emirates.
No one player has gone to Emirates or Highbury and completely played Arsenal off the park like Xavi did in the 09-10 season.
Scholes has never done that.Scholes simply cant do everything Xavi can.If so wheres the proof.
Name the big European games that Scholes has completely and utterly dominated the midfield and set the tempo in.
They both did things the other cant.
Xavi was never the goalscorer Scholes was and though you may believe so Scholes was never ever the midfield orchestrator Xavi is.

The Arsenal performance was indeed amazing but surely Xavi's role is made hell of a lot easier by the fact that his team is based on possession. I'm not takijng anything away from him as he is the best in the world at what he does but I think if you had put scholes in that team and asked him to do the same he would have been able to. That first 30 minutes in the emirates is the most dominant performance I have evr seen in my life.

But then Barca's play is based on possession and Xavi was brought up on that philosohpy.Just like United had a different philosophy.
So is it fair to criticize Xavi for not scoring as many goals as Scholes.Cause he was just not brought up on it.Just like Scholes was not brought up on possession football.
They are/were both elite footballers who will go down as all time greats.And each had something the other didnt.Lets leave it at that.

Yea good points. They are completely differnt players, in fact I think scholes is somwhere in between xavi and iniesta, but you have to admit it's easier to control the tempo for barca than it would be for a team like let's say, spurs where the cms barely see the ball. That's my point (and you're point I guess).

My main point is.Lets say Xavi was born in Manchester and came up through the United ranks.Different mentality,different training.Came up through the United ranks.He would turn out somehwhat like Scholes.
Eager to get forwward and take shots.
But at Barca mentality is completely different.Its pass and move,pass and move,pass and move.Shooting is just not in his mentality.If he has an open goal and he sees Villa too open I am sure he would pass.
Point is different systems so its not fair to say one cant do what the other can.
Both great players who are club legends.
Tottenham are a hoof it up to Crouch team.lol.Antithesis of the DNA.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Posts : 3236
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by cyberman Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Scholes had 2 careers as an AM and deep lying midfielder and was WC at both. 2 years ago away v City was his best performance for us. exceptional alround play.
Scholes is better because he sprays the ball more, he could play to his full capacity if he played for Madri or Chelsea. Xavi pre 08 never quite did.
Opta stats say last year, 1 pass in 5 was a pass forward.. Thats a bit too much, even conservative

cyberman
Banned (Permanent)

Posts : 2011
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by alexjanosik Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:42 pm

cyberman wrote:Scholes had 2 careers as an AM and deep lying midfielder and was WC at both. 2 years ago away v City was his best performance for us. exceptional alround play.
Scholes is better because he sprays the ball more, he could play to his full capacity if he played for Madri or Chelsea. Xavi pre 08 never quite did.
Opta stats say last year, 1 pass in 5 was a pass forward.. Thats a bit too much, even conservative

Does opta mention the forward passes in the CL final?
As Pep has mentioned before Xavi is a brave player because he is not afraid to pass the ball back.
He realizes that it leads to something better.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Posts : 3236
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by djoe26 Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:32 am

:coffee:
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 1747
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by billy_gr Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 am

Xavi although Scholes is one of the best midfielders I’ve seen too
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 3453
Join date : 2011-06-29
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by ChollaVille Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Short passing: Xavi
Finess shooting: Xavi
Fre kicks. Xavi
Dribling: Xavi
Vision: Xavi
Tackles: Xavi
Game control: Xavi
Through balls: Xavi
Fair play: Xavi
Pitch covering: Xavi
Positioning: Xavi
Ball controle: Xavi

Heading: Scholes
Phisics: Scholes
Balls (those beetween legs): Scholes
Scoring: Scholes
Long range shooting: Scholes
Long passing: Scholes

ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 806
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by jibers Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:29 am

ChollaVille wrote:Short passing: Xavi
Finess shooting: Xavi
Fre kicks. Xavi
Dribling: Xavi
Vision: Xavi
Tackles: Xavi
Game control: Xavi
Through balls: Xavi
Fair play: Xavi
Pitch covering: Xavi
Positioning: Xavi
Ball controle: Xavi

Heading: Scholes
Phisics: Scholes
Balls (those beetween legs): Scholes
Scoring: Scholes
Long range shooting: Scholes
Long passing: Scholes



FAIL
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 10236
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:37 am

Scholes

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid
Posts : 5952
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by cheesy Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:47 am

I have to go for Xavi on this one. Scholes was a great player and he's one that I admire, but in his prime, I still don't think he could match Xavi, who just has that little bit extra to his game.

cheesy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Posts : 227
Join date : 2011-07-14

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by jibers Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:37 pm

cheesy wrote:I have to go for Xavi on this one. Scholes was a great player and he's one that I admire, but in his prime, I still don't think he could match Xavi, who just has that little bit extra to his game.

When Xavi isn't passing what does he offer?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 10236
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by EarlyPrototype Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Scholes >>>>>> Xavi
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo
Posts : 7700
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by Adit Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Xavi by miles actually

He has taken his team to another level weather pep used him well or not,his extream technical skills combined with uncomparable brain had influence in whole teams he played.

Best player in euro hands down.

one of best players in World cup .

Look at his barcelona,being the engine of all time best team in the world is no joke.Scholes in not in the same league of xavi.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach
Posts : 9545
Join date : 2011-06-06

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Scholes Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum