[ 20 ]
Xavi vs Scholes - Page 4 Vote_lcap36%Xavi vs Scholes - Page 4 Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 16 ]
Xavi vs Scholes - Page 4 Vote_lcap18%Xavi vs Scholes - Page 4 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 44

Xavi vs Scholes - Page 4 Empty Re: Xavi vs Scholes

Post by Magricos Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Even after the 90s Zizou was among the best players.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Rossoneri Ninja wrote:

I had prepared a long post but my page timed out :facepalm:

Yes the isn't much of an age gap but their primes vary's greatly, Zizou, Boban , Djorkaeff primed in the 90's whereas Scholes was good up until 2008, him and seedorf are both eligible for 2 era's but the others don't , the ones i added were primed in the 00's and later , Scholes is in a grey area sort of speak.

Scholes started his career in the mid 90's whilst Zizou's started at the late 80's. I use the term generation to indicate players which i think played in the same era that includes those who peaked, developed and played.

Tbh i really don't want to put Zizou in the mix because that will open the door to other midfielders as well.

Zidanes prime was around scholes prime mate, they were both at their best in the late 90´s and early 2000 but both played at a high level, albeit inconsistent, til the day they retired. Scholes was good until 2008,while zidane was good until 2006(well the world cup, his club season was poor IIRC)

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Zizou wasn't poor in his last season.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:34 pm

harhar11 wrote:
Rossoneri Ninja wrote:

Yes the isn't much of an age gap but their primes vary's greatly, Zizou, Boban , Djorkaeff primed in the 90's whereas Scholes was good up until 2008, him and seedorf are both eligible for 2 era's but the others don't , the ones i added were primed in the 00's and later , Scholes is in a grey area sort of speak.

Scholes started his career in the mid 90's whilst Zizou's started at the late 80's. I use the term generation to indicate players which i think played in the same era that includes those who peaked, developed and played.

Tbh i really don't want to put Zizou in the mix because that will open the door to other midfielders as well.

Zidanes prime was around scholes prime mate, they were both at their best in the late 90´s and early 2000 but both played at a high level, albeit inconsistent, til the day they retired. Scholes was good until 2008,while zidane was good until 2006(well the world cup, his club season was poor IIRC)

I think Scholes primed a bit later imo.

What do you suggest we do throw them both in the same generation of players.. if so then Scholes is not comparable to Zizou who is head and shoulders above him as a player.

Seedorf and co ( those i mentioned) are his closest peers in terms of age , peak time , and point of their careers. This group seems much more fair than throwing him into the deep end with the Albertini's, Rui Costa's , Zizou , Redondo's.

What makes this whole thing confusing is the fact that Zizou retires way earlier than Scholes.

Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Magricos wrote: Zizou wasn't poor in his last season.

I said club season. But then again I am only saying what others told me about his last club season seeing as I didn´t see real madrid play that much in his last year..

Rossoneri Ninja wrote:
harhar11 wrote:
Rossoneri Ninja wrote:

I think Scholes primed a bit later imo.

What do you suggest we do throw them both in the same generation of players.. if so then Scholes is not comparable to Zizou who is head and shoulders above him as a player.

Seedorf and co ( those i mentioned) are his closest peers in terms of age , peak time , and point of their careers. This group seems much more fair than throwing him into the deep end with the Albertini's, Rui Costa's , Zizou , Redondo's.

What makes this whole thing confusing is the fact that Zizou retires way earlier than Scholes.

Yes. My point is that zidane said that scholes was the best midfielder of his generation but seeing as zidane was from the same generation as scholes and we all know that zidane>>>>scholes, we can´t cant what footballers says as facts..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:23 am

Arquitecto wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
jibers wrote:I will put out my points and relay them, here goes.

They were/are both the playmakers for their respective teams. Xavi is the controlling MF paymaker so he never has to be incisive and Barcelona play through the middle so he gets to see most of the ball and distribute the ball. He is not an incisive playmaker like say Ozil (he was in 08/09, but that is a different story). Barcelona has shown that it can function without Xavi, albeit without as much fluidity but Guardiola has put a system there in place. The incisive playmaker in Barcelona is Messi as he is further up the pitch and is theit most direct player.

Scholes at the apex of his career opearated at a more advanced role beside keane and with united playing through the wings and less centrally, Scholes was both uniteds incisive and controlling playmaker. United are a counter attacking team and so Scholes and Xavis roles were completely different. Again, Scholes bad tackling could be highlighted but is Xaviss any better? Scholes tackles he was mostly caught out because of how united play and we never had suffivient cover at the back. Xavi had the lowest tackling rate in the whole of europe last year. That gives you some idea. In the final third, there is no competiton, xavi also has more time on the ball than scholes ever did. As an attacking threat, no comparison really. Scholes is as good at passing, he had better long range passing, he was a more attcking threat but Xavi is more patient which for me is one of the most important aspects of being a CM, but that is a result of the teams they play for more than anything else.

For me Scholes will always be the best CM in the last decade. The man is undderated because he is english. had he been called, carlos quinteros, he would be called the most gifted player of his time. Also with Barcelonas success, the trend of big powerful cms are dying out at the highest level, so Xavi is now seen as the benchmark. There is a reason why all of scholes peers thought he was the best. I'm sorry barca fans, Scholes for me will always be superioir. Scholes can do everythiong Xavi can, xavi can't do everything scholes can.

All I will say is Xavi at the Emirates.
No one player has gone to Emirates or Highbury and completely played Arsenal off the park like Xavi did in the 09-10 season.
Scholes has never done that.Scholes simply cant do everything Xavi can.If so wheres the proof.
Name the big European games that Scholes has completely and utterly dominated the midfield and set the tempo in.
They both did things the other cant.
Xavi was never the goalscorer Scholes was and though you may believe so Scholes was never ever the midfield orchestrator Xavi is.

I'll save my opinions for later.

But you know my views on why I feel Xavi's performance against Germany is better.

One of the greatest midfield performances in the history of the beautiful game.

It cemented my idolization for the maestro.

I personally happen to also think the emirates game was more dominating. I don't think I've ever seen such a performance from a center midfielder as amazing as that one. It was simply beautiful.

Or...beautifully simple?

Ohhhhh that was good. I set that one up real nice.

Oh but yeah Xavi's better.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by AttacanteBG Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 am

Since most of Xavi supporters in this thread are saying that Scholes was great shooter of the ball, just watch this video and his incredible passing.
AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4