iftikhar
Nishankly
nj
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

GK & Defence Thread Empty GK & Defence Thread

Post by nj Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:27 am

This is the 1st of the 3 threads we said we would create (the others 2 to come being Midfield & Attack).

Defence for us is an area with many uncertainties.

---RB seems to be the only position where we dont need new faces: we already have england's n°1 rb GJ, and Kelly who can pressure him for the starting spot (plus the promising Flanno).

---At LB we definitly need a new player who will directly slot in the starting line-up (Konch & Insua will leave, Aurelio should also leave imo, but i wont be too upset if he stays as a squad player. and then we have the youngs Flanno & Robbo, 18 & 17 respectively: still have plenty of time to develop, for now they can stay as rotaion players/reserve, or go on loan).
Who would be your choice for the new face? (mine is Cissokho).

---But what about CB now?
-It seems like everybody is accepting that the coming season will be Carra's last as starter, but wouldnt that be one season too many? (as he will be 34 in a few months...).
-Is Skrtel good enough to start each one of our games?
-As talented as he is, should we sell the glass man that is Agger, so we can have found to bring in someone who will be a starter?
And who should be that new player?
Cahill?
Jones? Rumour seems to show that hes the one we are after. But hes only 19...
Is he that better than Kelly at CB? or what about the other defender who's also 19 who came with so much hype: Wilson? (heard hes about to be loaned back to Rangers. how do you rate him?).
then there is Wisdom who looks also very promising, lets see how he will develop. and finally Ayala, but this one is unlucky not to be british i would say
Wink

As for GK: we have 1 who is in the worlds top 5, Reina and wo committed recently, not much else to say tbh.
And instead of spending money on an old cover who will even never play (Doni?...), lets just let that bench spot to one of our young, homegrown GK.

Discuss
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

GK & Defence Thread Empty Re: GK & Defence Thread

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:00 am

There are a lot of rumours that Gulacsi will go out on loan this season, and hence the interest for a second choice keeper (First Friedel and then Doni). Brad Jones will probably be off too...probably the most useless purchase we will make, but you never know with injuries.

We are also favourites to land the beast which is Phil Jones.. GET IN

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:07 am

Flanno and Robinson -

They should stay at Melwood and continue to develop, I don't want another Insua out of any them. No pressure and more hard work.

LB -
1.New LB
2.Aurelio

Considering Aurelio won't be playing that much, He will stay fit for maximum 5 months this year. So a new LB is the ONE of the main priorities this summer.
A fit Aurelio as back up is just fine.

CB- Agger has resumed his recovery from Injury whilst he is on a Holiday.
Class but made of Glass. "The Dan Agger Effect". Enough said.

Kyrigiakos's contract is expiring in the summer. There seem to be no news or any sign of intent from Liverpool to renew it.Lets see where this goes. He has played his part. If he leaves, I will be satisfied with what he has done of Liverpool.

Skrtel - Reliable, Solid. Could concede penalties with all the love he makes in the penalty box.

Carragher- Going to be 34 as Nj said earlier is this thread. We need somebody to fill in the major void that will be left when he retires. Cahill rumors seemed to have died down. Jones looks the right guy to 'replace' him.

RB- Hmmm, I would rotate Kelly and Johnson. Kelly is more complete ie his defending is miles better than Glen but Glen adds that extra spark in attack while leaving wide gaps that get exploited by wingers.
No need for new faces here. Rotation and everyone is happy except Glen Very Happy

As for the Youth -

CB- We have Wisdom, Mind you he is a starlet, Great things are expected from this lad. Captain of the U19 England team.

Sama and Regan are still too young. Regan is known for his aerial ability and has scored lots of goals this campaign.

LB- Robinson
RB- Flano - both have been discussed earlier

LB - Brad Smith is an unfamiliar name but one to remember, He has been selected in the U17 England squad. While Tom king has been selected by U17 Australia.

CB/CDM - Conor Coady. He has a Gerrard like shot, Can play CB or CDM. Currently takes Penalties for the youth team. He is the future.

Now GK - Reina - Didn't have the best of season last year, But hey? Which one of our players had? Will be looking to improve and hopefully can turn out to be a legend for us.

Jones- Looks set to leave for a championship club.

Second choice - We lost out on Friedal but Doni looks set to complete his transfer and as Iftikhar made a brilliant point, He can be stop gap until Gulacsi matures.

Gulacsi- Big things are expected from this lad. Lets see if he goes on Loan this year.
Hansen - Third choice. Has made some appearances on the bench, not off it Very Happy

Tyrell Belford and Jamie Stephens are the other young GK's both have been a part of U17 project.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:21 am

GK: Reina is awesome. Yes, he is somewhat susceptible in the air but even then he is one of the best keepers around. With his fitness record, playing in 90% of the matches since debut, there can be hardly any concern for back-up. It seems we are on course to sign Doni (who in my view is worse than Brad Jones or Diego Cavalieri) but I would have preferred the youngsters getting some games.

CB: Carragher can’t be an automatic choice any more, Kyrgiakos will leave and Wilson has already been sent on loan. That leaves us with Skrtel (who can be erratic at times), Agger (who is immensely talented & injury-prone) and Ayala (who has barely featured for senior team) for primary partnership. While Jones might be immensely talented it’s doubtful if he is mature enough to marshal our back-line. IMO, Skrtel-Agger is still our preferred CB-partnership with Carragher & Jones being rotations.

RB/RWB: With Glen & Kelly fighting for regular spot and the likes of Darby & Flanagan as back-up, this position seems well covered. If the Jones signing goes through it will tie Kelly at right-flank.

LB/LWB: this is THE key area for improvement. Apart from Aurelio (who has sublime skill and a crooked leg) there is no genuine LB/LWB. While Glen, Kelly, Flanagan, Robinson or even Agger can be drafted for extremities, a quality LB/LWB is essential. Be it Enrique, Cissokho or Clichy; we need a proven (& with strong fitness) to cover for 30 games each season.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:26 am

iftikhar wrote:
While Jones might be immensely talented it’s doubtful if he is mature enough to marshal our back-line. IMO, Skrtel-Agger is still our preferred CB-partnership with Carragher & Jones being rotations.

from the very few ive seen from Jones (i admit, only few games & yt vids Embarassed ) he already looks, if not as good as Skrtel, already better.

he looks to be the real deal tbh.

so if he came, imo that would mean Agger is sold,
and given that i dont see Carra benched, i could see a Carra-Jones all english partnership: the leadership & experience + the youth & talent.
(with Skrtel on bench)
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:32 am

Let's not get carried away. Skrtel is better than Jones. Jones definitely can be better, though.

Look's like Jones will take either Carragher or Agger's spot.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:50 am

Now since we have lost Jones to United Sad

Who would you at CB if you were boss?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 am

GK: Reina, Doni?
RB: Johnson, Kelly
CB: Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, New CB?
LB: New LB, Aurelio, Johnson, Agger

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

GK & Defence Thread Empty Jamie Carragher

Post by TheRedStag Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:52 am

From reading some of the posts in this section it seems a lot of ye guys don't see Carragher as a starter this season.

I think ye're nuts. Carragher has to be a starter!

He is still by far our best defender.

We need his leadership and organisational skills on the pitch. If we are to get a new CB, playing along side Jamie for a season is what he needs.

TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:32 am

He's still very good at defending - not sure if among our 2 best CBs, though - but it's his limited on-the-ball skills that put me off a little. Too many long balls.

Thinking of it, I'd rather start Skrtel & Agger than him before one of these guys.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:05 am

Sorry Carra should have been slowly phased out from last season.Atleast it should be done next season.He is past his best and should be behind Agger and Skrtel.And if we buy a CB he will probably be 4th choice.

Also i dont think Carra was our best CB at any stage of his career apart from a couple of season in 2006-07& 2007-08.But thats just my opinion.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:35 pm

I think, from the purely defending point of view...Carra is still the best CB we have. Yes, he lacks pace and makes mistakes sometimes, but he prevents shit load of goals with last ditch defending and blocking.

HOWEVER, his hoofing is a concern, especially when AC is on the pitch, and it gets annoying sometimes (though he got better at it towards end of the season).....He's still a very good player, and a top bloke as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:09 am

He'll be rotated. He's getting past his peak, we need to stop playing him depending on him all the time, or else we'll feel it when he retires. He's a legend though. Love him. Very Happy
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:48 am

The Skrtel-Agger partnership will never be our answer imo.

Carragher may be a hoofer but the extra assurance he gives us in defence cannot be overlooked.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:57 am

Irish_Catalan_Scouser wrote:The Skrtel-Agger partnership will never be our answer imo.

Carragher may be a hoofer but the extra assurance he gives us in defence cannot be overlooked.

Agger and Skrtel is a better pair than Agger and Carra IMO.Carra is bit slow nowadays to suit the way we play.Ideally i would prefer a CB better than Skrtel in air to be bought in to pair Agger.

Whatever happens Skrtel and Carra should only be our last choice and be paired in desperate times.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:59 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
Irish_Catalan_Scouser wrote:The Skrtel-Agger partnership will never be our answer imo.

Agger and Skrtel is a better pair than Agger and Carra IMO.Carra is bit slow nowadays to suit the way we play.Ideally i would prefer a CB better than Skrtel in air to be bought in to pair Agger.

Whatever happens Skrtel and Carra should only be our last choice and be paired in desperate times.

Are you serious. Under Kenny they have performed very well as a partnership.

Kept a good few clean sheets, and comfortably at that.

I honestly think people need to realise sooner rather than later that Agger's injury problems are most likely not going away.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:24 am

Irish_Catalan_Scouser wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:

I honestly think people need to realise sooner rather than later that Agger's injury problems are most likely not going away.

The problem is neither of them are good enough to bring the ball out of defense.They inevitably hoof the ball bypassing the midfield when under pressure.They did it plenty of times under Kenny too carra in particular.We should always have a ball playing defender all the time.Also Agger is our best defender and whenever he played last season we looked far more assured than when he wasnt playing.

As for his injury problems he is apparently having special treatment to overcome his injury woes.Hopefully both Gerrard and Agger have injury free seasons.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:31 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:

The problem is neither of them are good enough to bring the ball out of defense.They inevitably hoof the ball bypassing the midfield when under pressure.They did it plenty of times under Kenny too carra in particular.We should always have a ball playing defender all the time.Also Agger is our best defender and whenever he played last season we looked far more assured than when he wasnt playing.

As for his injury problems he is apparently having special treatment to overcome his injury woes.Hopefully both Gerrard and Agger have injury free seasons.

OK I think we place different levels of importance on certain attributes of our defenders.

For me, if a CB can play the ball out of defence well it's a bonus. I don't care that much if they hoof as long as they do their jobs and get a clean sheet.

Yes, if we are in need of a goal and we keep hoofing it, it can be extremely frustrating. But I still maintain that the primary job of the CB is to stop goals not to help create them.

Carragher brings so much to the party, other CB could dream of.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 am

OK I think we place different levels of importance on certain attributes of our defenders.

For me, if a CB can play the ball out of defence well it's a bonus. I don't care that much if they hoof as long as they do their jobs and get a clean sheet.

Yes, if we are in need of a goal and we keep hoofing it, it can be extremely frustrating. But I still maintain that the primary job of the CB is to stop goals not to help create them.

Carragher brings so much to the party, other CB could dream of.

Almost every big team in Europe has a ball playing defender.Ferdinand Carvalho Luiz Lucio Pique Kompany.So its just not my preference.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 am

I think Skrtel actually brings the ball out of defense. Not as good as Agger, but he definitely isn't a hoofer. However, with Skrtel, you either get a WORLD CLASS game (towards end of the season) or absolute DISASTER (when Carroll literally tore him to shreds in SJP). Still a solid 3rd choice....I wonder what will happen to Agger in summer. will be interesting

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 am

How long till Ayala or Wilson can make the grade (if at all)!!! I think a new CB will, for sure, mean end of Agger (pitty, another talented player with glass-limbs).
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:52 pm

iftikhar wrote:How long till Ayala or Wilson can make the grade (if at all)!!! I think a new CB will, for sure, mean end of Agger (pitty, another talented player with glass-limbs).

I dont know much about Wilson haven't seen a lot of him at all.

I have seen Ayala on numerous occasions including a reserve game Liverpool played in Ireland which I went to. I have always been impressed with him and hope he can do it for us at the highest level.

Only Kenny will decide if they are ready. Hopefully he'll get a couple of appearances this season. Even in the Carling cup or something.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:21 am

GJ signs contract extension.

fantastic news!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/johnson-signs-reds-extension
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:36 am

Sepi wrote:I think Skrtel actually brings the ball out of defense. Not as good as Agger, but he definitely isn't a hoofer. However, with Skrtel, you either get a WORLD CLASS game (towards end of the season) or absolute DISASTER (when Carroll literally tore him to shreds in SJP). Still a solid 3rd choice....I wonder what will happen to Agger in summer. will be interesting

Skrtel didn't have one bad game under Kenny when his confidence was high. All his bad games were under Roy. I believe we'll build our defence around Martin. Jamie is getting passed it whilte DAgger has too many injury problems. Watch Skrtel closely. He hardly puts a foot wrong and can play a full season.

nj wrote:GJ signs contract extension.

fantastic news!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/johnson-signs-reds-extension

Great news indeed! I was actually wondering what would happen with Johnson w. Kelly and Flanno coming up. Spurs were intrested in him (GJ.) Great to see he stays! bounce
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:28 pm

GK & Defence Thread 11845410

now what happens to him??
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team