M99
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Firenze
Myesyats
Robespierre
43 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

EURO 2020 Final:  England - Italy - Page 15 Empty Re: EURO 2020 Final: England - Italy

Post by El Gunner Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:22 pm

Trashford's penalty was easily the worst... that's what you get for wanting to stunt too much. Saka and Sanshit were just nervous taking theirs... you can understand that, they're still young and have the hopes of the country hanging on them in Wembley

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

EURO 2020 Final:  England - Italy - Page 15 Empty Re: EURO 2020 Final: England - Italy

Post by Robespierre Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:22 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Italy were the better side overall and deserved it imo.

Congrats to Robes and all the other Italians on here.

Firenze wrote:Overall deserved for Italy

dominated most of the game, even if their goal was kinda flukey and they didnt have much in the way of actual chances, clearly the better team

congrats, Robes!

I'd have written same ( I already imaged to do it after 1st half )

Honestly it'd be very easy ( believe me ) making fun of English "community" after it but I can't do it here because I consider all the English GL posters as likeable Very Happy

A bit sorry for you , seriously . I had already seen Italy victory in 2006

Last edited by Robespierre on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:24 pm

Warrior wrote:
Superstone Mariomintsch wrote:Sterling's aware he has really poor penalty record. He's not that conceitful.

I guess it would be better for Philips or Shaw to take the penalty as they're mainstay who played well in the team, so would be more confident. Grealish maybe didn't want to take it as well

Unthinkable for me, a pro player refusing to take a penalty, even more so in Euro final. A childhood dream

Even if my record was shit i would take my shot happily

I also would take it happily. But Sterling's not the first one who's like that, though. Maybe they trust their teammates more than themselves
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Dortmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:24 pm

Video going viral with eng fans beating up random people including children at the airport , so awful Sad
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:24 pm

El Gunner wrote:Trashford's penalty was easily the worst... that's what you get for wanting to stunt too much. Saka and Sanshit were just nervous taking theirs... you can understand that, they're still young and have the hopes of the country hanging on them in Wembley

i guess southgate will be looking at that england didnt even need to play to bring it upto pk they had more arsenal than italy to win. not just in fisrt 11 but also in bench.

they only started coming out it seems at the very end of 90 mins and in ET.

also that sub that gareth made to bring players for pk prep was a bad thing because i think everyone is correct when it comes to more senior more experience players taking pk first than the young ones

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:25 pm

Best player of tournament I don't know but it's okay
Rather many discussions on banner when it was easy , now it's clear : Donnarumma
Seriously, at the end no one had a GK of his level at Euro. Noone as Italy...

Last edited by Robespierre on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:25 pm

Italy
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
farfan wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Not sure why people are criticising Rashford.

He did everything right and just got a little unlucky.

Saka and Sancho penalties were terrible, basically everything you're literally taught not to do.

He should've just picked a side and cunted it in like all great players do. These little feints players do rarely work and often result in a mishit or telegraphed shot.

Just look at some of the greatest penalty takers of all time (Shearer, Zidane, Ronaldo, Zlatan, etc...). They take the penalty as if the GK isn't there.

Sure but criticising him over two penalties which were about as bad as penalties get and literally what your taught not to do is just weird to me.

I don't think it's fair to criticize any player regarding missing PKs unless they freaking sky it.

In this case, I feel that both Rashford and Sancho were more nervous than usual, and that's purely on Southgate (statistically, subbing in penalty takers works less than doing nothing).
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:27 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Not sure why people are criticising Rashford.

He did everything right and just got a little unlucky.

Saka and Sancho penalties were terrible, basically everything you're literally taught not to do.

That obnoxious, Pogba-esque run up to the ball, and then he misses the goal. Unlucky? Perhaps, but I was watching the match together with 4 mates, 3 Man United fans, 3 of us predicted that he would miss - and we were right Thumbs up
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:28 pm

Robespierre wrote:Best player of tournament I don't know but it's okay
Rather many discussions on banner when it was easy , now it's clear : Donnarumma

I think Pickford had a great tournament as well. He kept England in the match with some excellent saves and in the penalties as well. Fully justified his place.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:28 pm

Sure but blaming Rashford over the others when it's clearly the best penalty by far is just ludicrous.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:28 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Italy were the better side overall and deserved it imo.

Congrats to Robes and all the other Italians on here.

Firenze wrote:Overall deserved for Italy

dominated most of the game, even if their goal was kinda flukey and they didnt have much in the way of actual chances, clearly the better team

congrats, Robes!

I'd have written same ( I already imaged to do it after 1st half )

Honestly it'd be very easy ( believe me ) making fun of English "community" after it but I can't do it here because I consider all the English GL posters as likeable Very Happy

A bit sorry for you , seriously . I had already seen Italy victory in 2006

In a way, there're some similarities between this and the 2006 victory. Losing early in the final to win it in penalty shootout. Italy also won the semifinal in extra time that time.
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:28 pm

Message is in response to Spencer to be clear.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:32 pm

Rashford penalty was bad it ended on the post. He waited on Donnarumma to commit and lost his focus in the process

In fact all 3 penalties missed were bad but the players who took them don't deserve the blame imo
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:33 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:

I think Pickford had a great tournament as well. He kept England in the match with some excellent saves and in the penalties as well. Fully justified his place.

Yes, ok , but except for the Euro he's average.
Donnarumma was top class before and he confirmed it. Next Buffon.
He's probably the real Italian star.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 pm

proud of italy. after wc qualy shambles in 2018 under ventura ... and italy still missed a lot of good players back home ... mainly nicolo zaniolo...
italy played ET 3 times (austria, spain, england) played with so called old slow CBs as portrayed by foreign medias.

this team is very resilient. there will im sure down the line some changes and buildup but should one of chelini and bonucci retire from NT ... im more than convinced that gianluca mancini and alessandro bastoni can cover that without problems.

and im counting on zaniolo to make a comeback to this squad and even moise kean as long as he keeps up good relation with mancini is welcome

this italy started with so many saying that italy hasnt even played against top teams .... and was made so much mockery

Last edited by Jesp on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Look at Southgate. This is going to follow Saka for the rest of his life, unless he gets another chance. I pray he won't be defined as the player who missed in the final.

I have so many regrets about this game. Taking the early lead, but doing nothing for the rest if game. Defending in a 5-4-1 as Italy took control. I recognise we don't have Italy's quality in midfield, but to play so much of the game without the ball was so risky and disappointing.

It's such a familiar situation for us. When the game gets tough, can we rely on our technique? Do we have the courage to play? This team is better than most that have come before, but it's still a problem. But I guesa you can only do so much with Rice and Phillips.

Southgate now has to find a way to make England a better attacking team. Not just take more risks, but finding a balance of attackers, using zone 14 more, and so on. We don't have to play pretty football. Just more ambitous football.

As for the pens, I hate the stutter run up. I don't know if the stats support me but my feeling is it results in more misses in these shootouts. At least, it never inspires confidence in me.

Southgate just said the order was his decision. The nost riskiest decision he's made and it backfired horribly

Last edited by Jay29 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:35 pm

Still in too much disbelief to give my thoughts but:

Blaming one penalty or another is pointless unless one skys it to which I still dont see how some do it.

Rashford is a great penalty taker and has come in important moments but tried to be cute with a guy who's been saving penalties literally since he was 16 in top-flight football.

Being in front of 90k roaring English hopefuls doesnt help. He's still a baby.

Penalties are potluck shot anyway even if the odds were against Italy given the two in a row record and all their best penalty takers out.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstone Mariomintsch Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:35 pm

Jesp wrote:
El Gunner wrote:Trashford's penalty was easily the worst... that's what you get for wanting to stunt too much. Saka and Sanshit were just nervous taking theirs... you can understand that, they're still young and have the hopes of the country hanging on them in Wembley

i guess southgate will be looking at that england didnt even need to play to bring it upto pk they had more arsenal than italy to win. not just in fisrt 11 but also in bench.

they only started coming out it seems at the very end of 90 mins and in ET.

also that sub that gareth made to bring players for pk prep was a bad thing because i think everyone is correct when it comes to more senior more experience players taking pk first than the young ones

Southgate is the opposite of Hjulmand. He's like Pep who's reluctant to sub many players, always have to have a spare sub in the end. Penalty shootout is more about luck though. If Rashford scored there we might have different discussion. Like LVG subbing Krul in 2014. But, putting Saka as the 5th kicker is certainly a terrible decision.
Superstone Mariomintsch
Superstone Mariomintsch
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:37 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Message is in response to Spencer to be clear.

As I said, I don't think it's fair to criticize Rashford, Sancho, Saka, Belotti, or Jorginho for missing their pens. At that stage, it's a crapshoot and a game of nerves.

Yet, maybe if Rashford or Sanch played more of the match, they would have had that extra bit of concentration that would help them score the pen. In this case, I would blae Southgate for doing something that is statistically (according to Bein) worse for the team taking the PKs.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:37 pm

Pickford was better today in penalties given he is considerably small than Rupeerumma, way less talented and had way less pressure.

Bless him and I hope he recovers.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:37 pm

You criticise Rashford's PK but side stepped both Sancho's and Saka's effort who actually hit it much worse (mid height pks are perfect for goalies)?

Anyway, to all the British lads here, tough loss gents. Honestly a tough one to swallow.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:37 pm

Jay29 wrote:Look at Southgate. This is going to follow Saka for the rest of his life, unless he gets another chance. I pray he won't be defined as the player who missed in the final.

I have so many regrets about this game. Taking the early lead, but doing nothing for the rest if game. Defending in a 5-4-1 as Italy took control. I recognise we don't have Italy's quality in midfield, but to play so much of the game without the ball was so risky and disappointing.

It's such a familiar situation for us. When the game gets tough, can we rely on our technique? Do we have the courage to play? This team is better than most that have come before, but it's still a problem. But I guesa you can only do so much with Rice and Phillips.

Southgate now has to find a way to make England a better attacking team. Not just take more risks, but finding a balance of attackers, using zone 14 more, and so on. We don't have to play pretty football. Just more ambitous football.

As for the pens, I hate the stutter run up. I don't know if the stats support me but my feeling is it results in more misses in these shootouts. At least, it never inspires confidence in me.

southgate i cant remember ever in this tournament played this team to its absolute strength. i get that he had more safety first mindset but not playing to their best ability given players at his disposal...

i dont remember ever england having this much of quality and depth ever ...

i felt so bad for saka when he just got in tears thats not fair for him for his age to be in that position really it broke me a little seeing like that.
he is amazing player he is one of my fav EPL player andi hope he wins something important in club level soon to forget this and come stronger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:38 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

Yes, ok , but except for the Euro he's average.
Donnarumma was top class before and he confirmed it. Next Buffon.
He's probably the real Italian star.

I know you are just rubbing that last part in Laughing
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:38 pm

Jorginho is great at penalties but does miss at crucial times as the Carling Cup final for Saari's Chelsea is an example.

He is like Balotelli who relies on one particular trick that if seen, will be saved given they take very light penalties at a very low velocity.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:39 pm

Congratulations to Spencer too as Ive witnessed his love for Serie A teams for a decade in the UCL and know how much he wanted this. I still remember celebrating with in GL chat,that Hamsik goal in the UCL group stage where they scored in the final minutes.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:40 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Rashford and Sancho literally had 1 job...

I disagree. Southgate didn't give them any meaningful minutes the whole tournament then they were introduced in the last 2 minutes to shoot penalties, both also very young. Most of the footballers convert their pens 9/10 times in training. They weren't warm, didn't feel like a proper part of the team, insecure. I mean why were n3, n4 and n5 so young? Doesn't make sense. Also, what were Sterling and the other senior members doing? It's easy to blame the two.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next