Post by Nishankly Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:58 am

+ Man went on to do an armed robbery, I mean come on son

Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

The Racism Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The Racism Thread

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:23 am

Found wrote:
Lord Awesome wrote:Insane how he (Rittenhouse) is labeled a hero. A real stark contrast to what happened to Jacob Blake and yeah this is basically yet another example of white privileges still running rampant from the base level to the top in America.

I don’t think he’s a hero but fact of the matter is he had as much right to be there as the protesters, who apparently seem to consist largely of sex offenders and domestic abusers.
Once you accept he had a right to be there, and a right to be armed with a weapon (legally despite whatever you think about it morally), then there’s no argument against him left.
He did show objectively outstanding composure, like a prime Pendu firing penaldos in top corner with each shot.
Yeah, but the problem here isn't whether he had the right to defend himself or not but rather would this guy still even be here, alive, to defend his case had he been born with a darker pigmentation while holding a rifle in front of law enforcement.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:21 am

Nishankly wrote:+ Man went on to do an armed robbery, I mean come on son

in a logical sense, just because a person went on to do a dodgy, spur of the moment armed robbery doesn't mean they are guilty of a murder conviction... just wanted to point that out, not defending OJ

just wanted to feel the pulse on GL, and if there is anyone with some non-conventional views on the case... i know majority probably believes he was guilty of it though. For me, what tells a lot is how he didn't do shit to "pursue the actual killers" like he said he would after the verdict.

But i'm more interested in unpacking the racial tensions of the entire situation and possible conspiracies (even if OJ did it).
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:42 pm

George Floyd’s four-year-old great-niece shot in her bed during ‘targeted attack’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/george-floyd-great-niece-shot-injured-b1987005.html

Holy fuck. The US is such a fucked place.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:37 pm

If this had happened to a 4-year old white girl in the more affluent parts of Houston, the Houston PD would have a near unlimited amount of suspects.

But because it happened to a 4-year old black girl.....no suspects found.

Color me shocked and surprised.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:15 pm

Justice done....for once.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:44 pm

Great news
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:30 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/simonjedge/status/1487396097685348358?t=rMMgUvNg_lf2uwNIoKksTQ&s=08

Stumbled into this thread. A good reminder this doesn't only happen in the US
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:54 pm

Thanks for sharing that. I had never heard of this event (the shooting, not the bombings), but it all sounds very familiar.

The victim would've passed for white at most here in the US and Latino at absolutely worst, but never Middle Eastern. That is a truly egregious amount of racial profiling and character assassination from the Met Police.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:11 pm

I've been following the Ukraine War through the lens of how it's impacting people of color trying to flee the fighting.

There seems to be a lot of confusion and chaos around just what is happening for POC attempting to flee the fighting.

The most consistent reports appear to be that the Ukrainian government are conscripting all men (foreign and domestic) of fighting age, preventing them from leaving the country while allowing women and children to leave.

The problem I've been running into is that none of this is verified by government resources. Can't even find verification via the press. It's all just videos posted. No locations given and no timestamps so that hinders the ability to put all of this into context.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:16 pm

It looks like this is the best way out for Nigerians stuck in Ukraine:

My question is....how do they get to the Romanian border if they're encountering difficulties just leaving the cities by train?
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:23 pm

And this from the Ghanaian Ministry of Information:

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Racism Thread - Page 16 Empty wrong thread booop dee doo

Post by Nishankly Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:25 pm

Okay, read the thread Wink
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:28 pm

Sorry wrong thread but no one ever sticks to the point here. Read the entire thread

Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:10 am

Big yikes 😬

An ugly side of the conflict for sure, and one nit getting enough attention
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:10 am

Jesus Christ @Nishankly some of them aren't even subtle with the racism Laughing

These sentiments are fairly common in European countries after a catastrophe. They believe this should be happening to lesser people in shitty countries, not them Laughing Many Germans were making comments like these after last year's floods.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:36 am

My instinctive suspicion would've been racist, as well, but since I've talked to some incredibly culturally awkward people from that region of Europe before, I won't rule out the possibility that he simply assumed he might garner more sympathy and attention from foreign viewers by pointing out that there are blonde/blue eyed people among the civilians being killed.

I'm by no means an expert on Ukraine, but I do know that a lot of Ukrainians find those features particularly attractive or indicating of high status. I'm not going to tells stories of anecdotal evidence, but that's been the impression I've gotten from talking to people from Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova and Romania. Blonde, blue eyed people are often expected to be more successful and charming, and as silly as that may sound, that's the cultural view. Would love to hear the perspectives of our members from that part of the world on this.

I don't agree with it, but it seems more accurate to view it as a conservative perspective on social values, rather than something that exists for the sake of racial exclusivity or stigma. I'm not saying that the guy in the video absolutely isn't racist, he might be, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt since I know from experience that some people from the same cultural sphere are quite socially handicapped outside of their region, unless they're familiar with foreign norms.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:45 am

It's the whole thread Thimmy, not just the Ukrainian guy (Who seems to have a Georgian name btw Laughing )

Journalists, politicians, academics, etc..are openly tell us this war is different because the victims are white and civilized Laughing
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:57 am

Ah, that's a good point. I also do think Putin raised a good point in his claim that the "the west is an empire of liars" - pointing towards the un-written agreement Boris Yeltsin had on behalf of Russia with several world leaders during the mid 90s, where the majority of the non-Russian participants promised that they wouldn't attempt to influence the territories east of Germany. An agreement they absolutely didn't uphold. Of course, that doesn't justify what Putin is doing at all, but the western Justice League isn't exactly made up of heroes either.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:58 am

Thimmy wrote:My instinctive suspicion would've been racist, as well, but since I've talked to some incredibly culturally awkward people from that region of Europe before, I won't rule out the possibility that he simply assumed he might garner more sympathy and attention from foreign viewers by pointing out that there are blonde/blue eyed people among the civilians being killed.

I'm by no means an expert on Ukraine, but I do know that a lot of Ukrainians find those features particularly attractive or indicating of high status. I'm not going to tells stories of anecdotal evidence, but that's been the impression I've gotten from talking to people from Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova and Romania. Blonde, blue eyed people are often expected to be more successful and charming, and as silly as that may sound, that's the cultural view. Would love to hear the perspectives of our members from that part of the world on this.

I don't agree with it, but it seems more accurate to view it as a conservative perspective on social values, rather than something that exists for the sake of racial exclusivity or stigma. I'm not saying that the guy in the video absolutely isn't racist, he might be, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt since I know from experience that some people from the same cultural sphere are quite socially handicapped outside of their region, unless they're familiar with foreign norms.

Disagree, Thimmy but that post literally made me tear up about the world right now. You call it culturally awkward when it is obvious they feel they are superiors to never "deserve" any hardship, your entire post essentially says "Hey you are neither blue eyed or blonde haired so fuck off and best of luck and also I understand why you struggle because of my culture but you deserve no part of this but adjust to the hate yea?".

It is racist, it does not fucking matter if as you said "but I do know that a lot of Ukrainians find those features particularly attractive or indicating of high status" that's good to hear since it is racist to other white people for a start before the 4 billion come into the picture.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:06 am

None of those people I've talked to had blonde hair or blue eyes themselves, they just had an awkward obsession for those features. You can call it what you want, but I think there's a notable difference between their cultural view and what we would typically classify as racism. I don't agree with it, but it's not my culture, and there are several other things in their cultures that I don't agree with. Caste-like views such as those tend to be much more prominent in developing countries, as I'm sure you're aware of.

The culturally awkward part is more about how they convey their thoughts and intentions in English to people outside of their own culture. From my personal experience, it has a tendency to come out in the worst way possible, and it doesn't always reflect what they intend to say.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:14 am

Thimmy wrote: Caste-like views such as those tend to be much more prominent in developing countries, as I'm sure you're aware of.

Extremely easy to say, have you been to India in the past 45 years or spoken personally to more than 5 people or are you regurgitating what you've read or seen in Western media? But if this is way you structure these posts, that actually helps me understand your stance on Ukrainian culture.

Last edited by Nishankly on Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:19 am

Again, I called out non white countries being racist in the other thread as well, it is just the way you tried to justify, that warranted this kind of response from me.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:27 am

Nishankly wrote:
Thimmy wrote: Caste-like views such as those tend to be much more prominent in developing countries, as I'm sure you're aware of.

Extremely easy to say, have you been to India in the past 45 years or spoken personally to more than 5 people or are you regurgitating what you've read or seen in Western media? But if this is way you structure these posts, that actually helps me understand your stance on Ukrainian culture.

I've never been to India.

What am I trying to justify?
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:36 am

Wtf the third guy. With just one sentence i know his opinion on everything Laughing

Funny to hear the french bourgeois-intelligentsia call ukrainian people "intellectuals" usually they shit on everybody whose not french/british/dutch/german/swiss. That's why they take time to present ukrainians as "same as us" it may not look like it but they are trying (and failing) to be open minded...

Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:39 am

Thimmy wrote:Ah, that's a good point. I also do think Putin raised a good point in his claim that the "the west is an empire of liars" - pointing towards the un-written agreement Boris Yeltsin had on behalf of Russia with several world leaders during the mid 90s, where the majority of the non-Russian participants promised that they wouldn't attempt to influence the territories east of Germany. An agreement they absolutely didn't uphold. Of course, that doesn't justify what Putin is doing at all, but the western Justice League isn't exactly made up of heroes either.

Checking Russian power, whether preemptively or reactively, has been a recurring theme in Western foreign policy for two centuries. I think we underestimate the extent to which this has affected the consciousness of the Russian elite and their perception of the west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War

Throwback to when France and the UK, two countries who have colonized half the planet, waged one of the bloodiest and most pointless wars because Russia "upset the balance of power" by occupying two Ottoman vassal states. Laughing
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next