Who will be the next manager of Manchester United?

+30
BarrileteCosmico
urbaNRoots
Warrior
farfan
Casciavit
Kaladin
CBarca
zenmaster
FennecFox7
S
futbol_bill
Glory
80s_Stallone
rincon
Firenze
Lucifer
zigra
Collblanc
Robespierre
M99
Kick
Thimmy
Onyx
Myesyats
BarcaLearning
El Gunner
Art Morte
Unique
The Demon of Carthage
Hapless_Hans
34 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Who will be the next manager of Manchester United?

Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 5 ]
Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 19

Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will be the next manager of Manchester United?

Post by rincon Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:59 pm

I figured it would clearly be Pochettino. Isn't he made for this job? PL proven, in the way out at Spurs, etc.

rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Who will be the next manager of Manchester United? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will be the next manager of Manchester United?

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:29 pm

Meh, honestly at this point I'm not even sure Pochettino would be attracted that much to the Man United job.
The attractivity of this job is going down by the minute, the team has become worse, it's not clear whether the CEO is willing to employ a competent DoF OR if not, back the manager's choices, they are not in CL and reaching CL is an uphill battle at this point.
Man United are still a huge club and crazy rich, but the notion that they are a "Disneyland" for managers, that "can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can't", which Woodward proclaimed to woo top coaches, rings pretty weird and wrong by now.

And while yes, Pochettino is going through a pretty poor spell at the minute with Spurs, he's done a magnificent, consistent job there, and none of their season goals are lost yet.
No, the League Cup is not a season goal Laughing

I don't know exactly what's wrong in the Spurs dressing room, something probably is (Eriksen? the CBs? Aurier beig a moron?), but I wouldn't write off Poch at Spurs just yet.

I could imagine he would want to turn things around at Spurs and finish decently before he leaves, and then when he does better job opportunities should be there for him
He can come to Bayern, for example. I would be surprised if he can't come to Real, too.
He's more than qualified to take over there.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Personally I think the right thing to do would be to give Ole another 2, 3 transfer windows and proper backing.
And I have the feeling Ole will not be sacked soon. A win against Liverpool in next week, and things look very differently.

I think that's the most sensible option, but we both know the fans won't have the patience for that, and I doubt Ole will stay with how things are looking. With their injury list, Pogba being their supposedly most important player, no reliable goalscorer, the relegation zone being 2 points below them, and Liverpool coming up next, there's just too much piled up frustration around the corner for this to have a happy ending, let alone a start to the planned rebuild in the hands of Ole.

I'd be most excited to see Pochettino take over the wheel and witness Firenze explode in anger after endlessly flip-flopping between whether the coach or the players are more responsible for their poor performances. That's not likely to happen, though, considering Tottenham is a superior team and even they are struggling.
Either way, I predict that Firenze will stop or take a break from watching football by the end of this season.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by 80s_Stallone Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Onyx wrote:Allegri

-----------------de Gea
WB----Alderweireld---Maguire---Telles
------MilinkovicS--Vidal--Pogba
------------------Dybala
-----------Werner--------Martial

Mandzukic as rotation.

hmm

6 players that cost over 50m at least. sure
80s_Stallone
80s_Stallone
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Sampdoria

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:56 am

Thimmy wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:Personally I think the right thing to do would be to give Ole another 2, 3 transfer windows and proper backing.
And I have the feeling Ole will not be sacked soon. A win against Liverpool in next week, and things look very differently.

I think that's the most sensible option, but we both know the fans won't have the patience for that, and I doubt Ole will stay with how things are looking. With their injury list, Pogba being their supposedly most important player, no reliable goalscorer, the relegation zone being 2 points below them, and Liverpool coming up next, there's just too much piled up frustration around the corner for this to have a happy ending, let alone a start to the planned rebuild in the hands of Ole.

I'd be most excited to see Pochettino take over the wheel and witness Firenze explode in anger after endlessly flip-flopping between whether the coach or the players are more responsible for their poor performances. That's not likely to happen, though, considering Tottenham is a superior team and even they are struggling.
Either way, I predict that Firenze will stop or take a break from watching football by the end of this season.

I don’t think what the fans think (or do) will have any bearing whatsoever unless it is ofc something extreme. The match going fans are still supportive of Ole I reckon. Its majorly the teenage keyboard warriors of our fanbase who are confused and angry at him and are even willing to take Moaninho back. Laughing after all the misery we suffered under that bleep.

Anyway if Ole has managed to convince them of a plan, then he will be given time regardless whatever happens. Its the next Liverpool game thats the watershed moment for him in that. There's a chance if lose there, he might get the boot. But if he survives that, then he can survive until at least January-February I think provided we somehow fail to win continuously. He will be given funds to make January signings. Also I believe we will see some improvement once Martial and Pogba return to fitness. Bar Herrera this is the team that went on a run last season when OGS first took over. Quality I do believe is still there. It’s the motivation and ofc tactics that’s the problem.

Having said all that, yes preferred pick if he is sacked would be Poch still for me. But not now when he is currently out of gas having taken Spurs so far. Let him refresh for a bit and hopefully Woodward will be booted out by then having failed miserably continuously. Bring a decent interim manager who can keep us afloat. And go for Pochettino in the summer. Otherwise go for the entire Ajax backroom staff including Ten Hag, Overmars and Van Der Sar.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am

I honestly don't see how tactics is the problem, but if you're right, then Ole should definitely be replaced by someone more tactically capable. Drilling a philosophy into a team takes more time than most fans seem to realize, and since Man United are undergoing a rebuild, they should ideally have the best possible manager to create the foundation for years to come. I don't think Pochettino is the right person for that, but he seems to be the most popular one among my Man United supporting friends, as well as fans on the internet. The Ajax backroom staff sounds far more exciting, to me. I also think you badly need a DoF, which that move would be able to solve, but I don't know if that's even in Woodward's plans. I also don't think it's realistic that Ajax would let go of their coach, let alone that group of staff members. I wouldn't want to be the coach of Man United these days, but I think you'd be lucky if Ten Haag is willing.

As for their win streak near the end of last season, it made a massive difference to your midfield and your sustainable performance level that Herrera and Pogba were both present, and the latter decided to compress his tradition of 7-8 good games per league season inside a couple of weeks. Herrera was my personal favorite of that entire season and Luke Shaw was starting to do pretty well also. Right now, your midfield is pure depression, your attack has little to no aerial strength and is too reliant on Rashford bringing the goods despite fewer quality chances being created, and the friggin ever present Ashley Young is filling in for Luke Shaw at right back Laughing The situation is quite different. Ideally, you'd have more quality depth as well, but it doesn't look like you'll have that luxury in the near future, unless that depth is provided by academy players or cheap transfers who come good.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Just to offer a neutral opinion. If you look at the transfers since Ferguson left, their failure hasn’t been for lack of money nor were any of them considered, at the time, run of mill nor flop players. Same goes with coach choice. Both Van Gaal and Mourinho were considered top coaches at the time.

So I think the problem isn’t the coach, it’s the recruitment, specifically Woodward. Club needs a decent general manager with scouting staff and they need a board to recognize how badly this once great club has fallen. They need new management with a plan and an approved budget to support the plan plus a whole lot of patience.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:11 pm

futbol_bill wrote:Same goes with coach choice. Both Van Gaal and Mourinho were considered top coaches at the time.

Former top coaches. Tbf Mourinho didn't do too bad. Finished 2nd, won some cup(s?) and in the end it all fell apart but that's his running theme, no? Van Gaal had most of his success in the 90s and did an ok job for Bayern. His United team wasn't horrible either.
Both of them still competent I guess but not really at the top of their game anymore.

I do agree that their are other problems within the club though.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:22 pm

futbol_bill wrote:Just to offer a neutral opinion. If you look at the transfers since Ferguson left, their failure hasn’t been for lack of money nor were any of them considered, at the time, run of mill nor flop players. Same goes with coach choice. Both Van Gaal and Mourinho were considered top coaches at the time.

So I think the problem isn’t the coach, it’s the recruitment, specifically Woodward. Club needs a decent general manager with scouting staff and they need a board to recognize how badly this once great club has fallen. They need new management with a plan and an approved budget to support the plan plus a whole lot of patience.

This is what I've been saying all along, but from what I can tell, the popular opinion seems to be that Ole's incompetence influences everything from man management to tactics and player pulling power, and Pochettino would supposedly solve all of that. And I guess those are fair conclusions to make, considering he's a "no name" outside of his legend status at the club as a player. I don't see the rationale in it, but they might as well try something different and see if it works Razz
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:06 am

I dont think barring well a few deluded idiots, no one is blaming Ole alone in this. He is to be blamed surely. But for a sensible United fan (rare to find I know), Solksjaer would be down in the firing line.

It is clear as a day where the problem lies with United. I mean 4 managers have come and the one constant that's been there during all of their time is the bald midget who calls the shots on transfers.

But yea it is in the hypothetical scenario that the leaches will continue holding their positions and nothing will happen regarding that farcical DoF appointment, I am asking for someone like Poch.
He knows how to do well under asshole CEOs. Buying no bloody player he took Spurs to a CL final. He will improve the young players and will once again make us competitive. More than anything, he is gettable for us right now.
Or even someone like Eddie Howe woudnt be a bad option under our current predicament.

If the impossible happens and if by some miracle Woodward decides to step down then Hag, Nagelsmann etc are exciting options. But how much they will want take over the job is the tough question.

Thimmy wrote:I honestly don't see how tactics is the problem, but if you're right, then Ole should definitely be replaced by someone more tactically capable. Drilling a philosophy into a team takes more time than most fans seem to realize, and since Man United are undergoing a rebuild, they should ideally have the best possible manager to create the foundation for years to come. .

I dont know. There must be something there. But its too hard to see right now on the pitch.
May be its because of the piss poor quality players, we are not getting to see any evidence of a decent tactic. May be will improve. But could be a tad too late by then.  

Thing is I am clutching at straws as well. Want Ole to succeed bad. But everyone's telling me he is not good enough. So you know. Slowly coming around.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Well, the tactics aren't working. There's clearly an imbalance in the team, and I'm not so sure any tactics can fix that. It would've been great if the team had been set up to score more goals, but who would be scoring those goals? Rashford? 4 goals this season, two from penalties. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. United's most recent signings have looked positive, but the rest of the team is so underwhelming and it's still suffering from the incompetence of past signings, like Fred who looks like an early version of Lassana Diarra, minus the technique and stamina. A few replacements in midfield an attack, and the team would be able to play more on the front foot, provided key players don't get injured, of course.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:39 pm

80s_Stallone wrote:
Onyx wrote:Allegri

-----------------de Gea
WB----Alderweireld---Maguire---Telles
------MilinkovicS--Vidal--Pogba
------------------Dybala
-----------Werner--------Martial

Mandzukic as rotation.

hmm

6 players that cost over 50m at least.  sure

It's certainly a massive change, but a 150-200m investment is an acceptable amount nowdays.

Buy:

Alderweireld - potentially on a free next summer, contract expiring
Vidal is 32 - 20-25m
Telles - 35m release clause
Dybala - 60m
Milinkovic-Savic - 60m
Werner 50m
Mandzukic - 10m

Out:

Matic - 15m
Smalling - 15m
Bailly - 20m
Fred - 15m
Alexis - 20m

Net roughly 150m. 200m if the big names cost 10-20m more.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:38 am

Even if clubs agree to those prices, why would any of these players want to join Man Utd? Mandzukic is the only one I see coming and maybe Alderweireld, the rest like Dybala would want CL football? Werner will probably get offers from the likes of Bayern where he'll go 100% if its a choice between that and Man Utd.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Dybala was close to joining last summer, it seems like they still have enough to attract top players. They have the ability to spend and if Allegri joined, that would be another reason imo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:56 pm

Mauricio Pochettino wants to become the next manager of Manchester United. (Source: MEN)
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:44 pm

of course he does

biggest club in the world

welcome Poch :bow:

snubbed Bayern, Arsenal and Madrid (since we all know Zidane is gone next summer)

Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:22 pm

He snubbed/will snub Bayern and Madrid because he's going to be under immense pressure to win silverware every year.

At Man United, he will more or less have same objectives to achieve as he had at Spurs. 4th-6th place and a decent cup run.

So a perfect situation for him to be in as a manager given his resume.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Tottenham are a better overall team, so I’d be interested to see if he can pull that off with the likes of Rashford and Martial providing the goals, Mata/McTominay and Pogba setting up the goals. I hope it happens. If Poch can secure a top 4 spot without bringing in substantial replacements, that would certainly establish him as a top, top manager.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:39 pm

S wrote:He snubbed/will snub Bayern and Madrid because he's going to be under immense pressure to win silverware every year.

At Man United, he will more or less have same objectives to achieve as he had at Spurs. 4th-6th place and a decent cup run.

Exactly, Man United is a midtable team, the expectations will be low. Lol.

I actually feel for Ole to an extent. All the players that he has brought in have been excellent buys. The problem is with players like Lingard, Lindelof, Young, now Shaw.. Replace those players and Man U are in the top 4 easily. I mean those players have lost points for the team with awful individual performances.. don't get me started on lingard.. he is a league one level player..
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 pm

S wrote:He snubbed/will snub Bayern and Madrid because he's going to be under immense pressure to win silverware every year.

Laughing
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:01 pm

the MEN is an absolute rag. Fake news. It's like Mundo Deportivo claiming someone wants to join Barca.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:07 am

hmm
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by zenmaster Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:04 am

^ Maybe Arsenal.
zenmaster
zenmaster
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:43 pm

FOH

Pressure at Bayern??? they walk that mickey mouse league year in year out lol. Even a dunce could win that league blindfolded for the year.

Bayern would be the much safer job. Nice bait though.

United are the biggest club in the world and finishing top 4 in the PL is harder than winning trophies in Spain and Germany. He's under the most pressure here.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Like I alluded to in the other thread, the top 3-5 spots in the PL look quite open, from what I can tell. The teams that have traditionally occupied those spots have yet to adequately transition from a once competitive, aging team to a younger team with a similar level of ability to compete for the top spots. If anyone should be under pressure, it’s the people who are responsible for managing both incoming and outgoing transfers.

I don’t believe the market for reliable players with top talent has ever been as complex as it is right now. Ironically, the solution to building a competitive team no longer seems to rest solely on economic muscle, but on having a sufficient budget, and the right people to decide where to spend it. It’s an unthankful job, and the manager often gets credit for the work of the DoFs, scouts, and sometimes even the club CEO - the magic of «god given man management talent that transcends all logic» - but an elite scouting network is absolutely necessary in today’s football, where cash flow alone doesn’t necessarily equal success anymore.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Two years later, same question..

Zidane?
Rodgers?
Solskjaer to stay on?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next