M99
Freeza
Great Leader Sprucenuce
22 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

The Witcher TV series  - Page 7 Empty Re: The Witcher TV series

Post by Freeza Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Myesyats wrote:Yeah i don't think it breaks the immersiveness that much particularly since it's a fantasy show. Its an ongoing discussion about certain roles and the looks that come with it, race and skin color included. Now, if they cast Tom Hanks as Obama i'd have an issue but in a fantasy setting I don't really care tbh.

It makes sense to have more racial diversity in Fantasy, which has generally been a very white genre imo.

All fantasy is political in its very nature, so I don't know why there shouldn't be politics in it. LOTR had huge amounts of politics. Same with Harry Potter. Same with Star Wars.

I liked how
Spoiler:

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Thimmy wrote:Are you implying that I’m racist? If so, go fuck yourself.

I'm not, I am genuinely asking if it does since you singled out Vilgefortz but not Yennefer (though you getting so angry and defensive tells a lot). Personally, I don't care at all if the actors play the part well. Yennefer has been amazing, others like Fringilla had too little screen time for me to actually form an opinion.

M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Freeza wrote:
Myesyats wrote:Yeah i don't think it breaks the immersiveness that much particularly since it's a fantasy show. Its an ongoing discussion about certain roles and the looks that come with it, race and skin color included. Now, if they cast Tom Hanks as Obama i'd have an issue but in a fantasy setting I don't really care tbh.

It makes sense to have more racial diversity in Fantasy, which has generally been a very white genre imo.

All fantasy is political in its very nature, so I don't know why there shouldn't be politics in it. LOTR had huge amounts of politics. Same with Harry Potter. Same with Star Wars.

I liked how
Spoiler:

Very good point.

dont read until you've watched ep 3:
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:04 pm

M99 wrote:
Thimmy wrote:Are you implying that I’m racist? If so, go fuck yourself.

I'm not, I am genuinely asking if it does since you singled out Vilgefortz but not Yennefer (though you getting so angry and defensive tells a lot). Personally, I don't care at all if the  actors play the part well. Yennefer has been amazing, others like Fringilla had too little screen time for me to actually form an opinion.

I thought to myself while writing that, that someone would probably read the comment and somehow interpret nothing but racism, and I can’t be bothered to reply to such simple-mindedness. That has nothing to do with my point. I «singled out» Vildefortz because he appeared in the episode I happened to be watching while writing it. I already mentioned that there’s a black person in every group and faction, and that’s okay, in a sense - might as well go all the way, if racial diversity is on the agenda.

I’m not going to summarize all of the characters that don’t fit the book’s descriptions of them. I’m pretty sure you claimed to have read the books, and you clearly don’t mind, so it would be pointless even if I had bothered to do so. Clearly, the three of you don’t mind this, and that’s good for you. I’m not trying to convince you of otherwise. I already said that I enjoy the show, but I do have some issues with it, mostly in regard to it’s interpretations of the books - which is both very good and wildly off the mark at the same time.

As for racial diversity in fantasy, why not? As long as the source material doesn’t suggest a lack thereof. Fringilla Vigo is specifically described as pale, green-eyed, gracious. The racism or discrimination that you guys are referring to, has nothing to do with her skin color. I’m not singling her out, don’t care enough to list all of the characters that appear differently in the show.

Freeza: I never said that there shouldn’t be politics in this show or any other show, for that matter scratch I’m specifically referring to the creator’s personal politics. If you can ignore it, then that’s probably for the best.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:30 pm

I don’t see a problem with the show rubber inserting her own personal humane beliefs into a fantasy story. Especially when her “personal politics” is that there should be more than one look of humans in the world.

It offers something unique to the story and I think it fits well. It offers something to the race relations in high fantasy that’s rarely seen because most of the popular material is written by white men from a different time.

Best case scenario of someone infusing personal political beliefs and discussion into a story is how Lindelof handled this season of Watchmen where he basically made the best show about race since The Wire. A true masterpiece.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Thimmy wrote:I can’t help but mind the politics a little bit, despite trying my best not to care. I’m now looking at the tall, particularly handsome and muscular, Vilgefortz, who in the show appears to be a slender, Indian man of average height. I know most people won’t care about such details, but fuck man Laughing

Battle of Sodden Hill:

That was immersion breaking, the actor portraying him not so much
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:41 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Thimmy wrote:I can’t help but mind the politics a little bit, despite trying my best not to care. I’m now looking at the tall, particularly handsome and muscular, Vilgefortz, who in the show appears to be a slender, Indian man of average height. I know most people won’t care about such details, but fuck man Laughing

Battle of Sodden Hill:

That was immersion breaking, the actor portraying him not so much

Spoiler:
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:29 pm

The thing is, I don't think it felt forced. It felt like an organic part of the show that was always meant to be that way. I get that you read the books and you already have a mental image of some characters, but I don't think it took away from the story at all. It wasn't anything I thought worth mentioning until I saw some comments online. And for the vast majority of viewers who will not have that mental image I can't imagine it will bother them at all.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Finished it. Sorry but I did not love it like you all did. Think a lot of what critics said are true. pls dont flame me

Spoiler:

I really hope it improves. Bojack had a meh first season and ended up being one of Netflix's best shows. There is a lot of room for improvement, that is for sure.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks for summing up some of the things that weren’t great about the show. I have more gripes, but I think I’d just annoy people on here if I list them all. We’re all honky dory here. Overall, the entertainment value was higher than I had expected it to be.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:54 pm

For anyone confused about the timeline.

timeline chart:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:22 pm

I get criticism related to confusing timelines but I also understand they wanted to introduce the characters in s01 so I'll allow it. But to say its a D&D with multi-million budget is dumb. It should be 90% at least, the audience scored it correctly. Critics can feck off.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:55 am

Finally finished it, can't really complain tbh. The choices for Yen, Ciri and Geralt were inspired.

All 3 were amazing.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:59 am

M99 wrote:For anyone confused about the timeline.

timeline chart:
this chart confused me more than the series
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:06 am

M99 wrote:Finished it. Sorry but I did not love it like you all did. Think a lot of what critics said are true. pls dont flame me

Spoiler:

I really hope it improves. Bojack had a meh first season and ended up being one of Netflix's best shows. There is a lot of room for improvement, that is for sure.

Spoiler:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Got seriously hooked, on ep 6 right now. Its phenomenal.

ep 6:

A lot of the criticism sounds like trying really hard to be nitpicky. But I get that, you can't appeal to 100% of the audience, its impossible.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:05 pm

I had to pause and rewind a couple times during ep 6, it was so good. I feel like my life is almost complete.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:48 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
M99 wrote:Finished it. Sorry but I did not love it like you all did. Think a lot of what critics said are true. pls dont flame me

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Agree with this entirely.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Agree with this entirely.

Thing is, I totally get that they needed development. But the majority of Ciri/Yennefer parts just bored me.It may be a necessity but it was not of good enough quality.

Myesyats wrote:Got seriously hooked, on ep 6 right now. Its phenomenal.

ep 6:

A lot of the criticism sounds like trying really hard to be nitpicky. But I get that, you can't appeal to 100% of the audience, its impossible.

Spoiler:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:46 pm

I had the same impression, so it’s not just you. It’s not a big deal, but I giggled a little bit when I saw it. Thought it looked a bit tacky.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:19 pm

I liked the Yen backstory stuff tbh, Ciri stuff less so and would have liked different stuff focused on.

Also the CGI for most of the Monsters were bad.

Also to be clear i have quite a lot of issues with the show i just enjoyed enough where i don't think bringing up is all that important.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I liked the Yen backstory stuff tbh, Ciri stuff less so and would have liked different stuff focused on.

Also to be clear i have quite a lot of issues with the show i just enjoyed enough where i don't think bringing up is all that important.

I agree that some of those issues aren’t substantial enough that they detract too much from the overall entertainment value of the show, but I still think they’re worth pointing out for the sake of discussion.

But yeah, Ciri’s part was quite underwhelming and it disappointed me that they compressed and skipped SO much content from the Forest of Death. I suppose it makes sense considering the short length and possibly time restraints of the first season, but the little story they left her with wasn’t very exciting to watch. Looks like they cut Milva’s introduction from the story entirely, and
Spoiler:
scratch
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:31 pm

I have just wrapped up the first season and I liked it.

I thought HC was a fantastic choice for Geralt. I wish I could say the same for Yennefer.

The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm

I think the actress for Yennefer did a fantastic job honestly, my issues and most of them are minor with the show are lore and character changing related.

Rather than they are casting related, at least when it comes to the main cast. I didn't particularly like
Spoiler:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Thimmy wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I liked the Yen backstory stuff tbh, Ciri stuff less so and would have liked different stuff focused on.

I agree that some of those issues aren’t substantial enough that they detract too much from the overall entertainment value of the show, but I still think they’re worth pointing out for the sake of discussion.

But yeah, Ciri’s part was quite underwhelming and it disappointed me that they compressed and skipped SO much content from the Forest of Death. I suppose it makes sense considering the short length and possibly time restraints of the first season, but the little story they left her with wasn’t very exciting to watch. Looks like they cut Milva’s introduction from the story entirely, and
Spoiler:
scratch

Spoiler:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 pm

Meh, I think some of the critics don't really watch a lot of shows which generally tend to be very shoddy. You rarely get a true 90%+ show and this is definitely one.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next