CBarca
Adit
Myesyats
40 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Donald Trump watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Donald Trump watch

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Can you expand a bit on that hans? Not sure what you mean. The senate seems like by far the more democratic of the 2. It doesn't matter that it doesn't represent the percentage of people, it represents each state. And it actually generates "middle of the road" centrist politicians like Susan Collins that are willing to reach across the aisle, unlike the gerrymandered house. (That gets reelected every 2 years so lobbyists have an unduly influence over). The US senate is a way better upper house than the House of Lords, for instance.

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:32 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Can you expand a bit on that hans? Not sure what you mean. The senate seems like by far the more democratic of the 2. It doesn't matter that it doesn't represent the percentage of people, it represents each state.

This is what I mean. Why is this never questioned by Americans?

It represents each state, and each state has the same vote.
But the states are grossly different in populations size. How is this not recognized as a problem in representation?

Basically a bunch of hillbilly morons like Orrin Hatch or Chuck Grassley are deciding for millions of smart Californians and New Yorkians.. and then you wonder how you end up with a guy like Kavanaugh being confirmed?

Everyone should have a vote, of course. But the way it is, the vote of midwestern rural voters has up to 50, IN WORDS: FIFTY, times the weight of a Californian or a NYC voter.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:Can you expand a bit on that hans? Not sure what you mean. The senate seems like by far the more democratic of the 2. It doesn't matter that it doesn't represent the percentage of people, it represents each state.

This is what I mean. Why is this never questioned by Americans?

It represents each state, and each state has the same vote.
But the states are grossly different in populations size. How is this not recognized as a problem in representation?

Basically a bunch of hillbilly morons like Orrin Hatch or Chuck Grassley are deciding for millions of smart Californians and New Yorkians.. and then you wonder how you end up with a guy like Kavanaugh being confirmed?

Everyone should have a vote, of course. But the way it is, the vote of midwestern rural voters has up to 50, IN WORDS: FIFTY, times the weight of a Californian or a NYC voter.

I have no idea why a lot Americans think it's undemocratic to not have each state have the same influence.

I think it's absolutely mental that each state has the same amount of senators. Basically punishing people for not living in a noon-populated area.

That way of democracy is ancient and it should be majorly reformed imo.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:32 pm

It's a system of checks and balances. The lower house is by population and the upper house by States. It is supposed to prevent populist measures that would hurt the under-represented in the house, otherwise you would simply have majority-rule. This would be completely lost if the number of senators would also be awarded by population.

That being said I agree it's a bit crazy that a state with the population the size of California only gets 2 senators, but that may be an argument for splitting up California as clearly it has gotten too big for a state administration. In the past Massachussetts was split for this reason (it previously included most of the Northeast).
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Considering a democracy is a majority rule I really can't see the problem in that
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:22 pm

Luckily the US is a republic and not a pure democracy, with protections built in against majority rule. In a majority rule society the rights of religious, ethnic and economic minorities would be easily swept aside (and while you could argue that this does in fact happen, it would be worse without the institutions that prevent it). The US government was designed to prevent the "tyranny of the majority".
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:32 pm

No countries are direct democracies. Think Switzerland is the closest.

US is a representative democracy. Just like most other countries in western civilisation. They just haven’t adapted to modern times.

You majority rule might be bad. But if anything I think the current minority rule is even worse. How can 45% of the voters have effect in the rest? And that seem fair.

It’s funny how your argument against majority rule is that the minorities in religion and ethnic would be swept aside. Isn’t that still what’s happening exactly because a minority can rule?
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Freeza wrote:No countries are direct democracies. Think Switzerland is the closest.

US is a representative democracy. Just like most other countries in western civilisation. They just haven’t adapted to modern times.

You majority rule might be bad. But if anything I think the current minority rule is even worse. How can 45% of the voters have effect in the rest? And that seem fair.

It’s funny how your argument against majority rule is that the minorities in religion and ethnic would be swept aside. Isn’t that still what’s happening exactly because a minority can rule?
am i right in thinking that switzerland are the only country thats never been at war.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:02 pm

yes
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:12 pm

RealGunner wrote:yes
tbh thats a sad stat for the human race.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Since 1840’s at least
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:15 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Luckily the US is a republic and not a pure democracy, with protections built in against majority rule. In a majority rule society the rights of religious, ethnic and economic minorities would be easily swept aside (and while you could argue that this does in fact happen, it would be worse without the institutions that prevent it). The US government was designed to prevent the "tyranny of the majority".

But that's what you have constitutional rights for. You can define things that can't be superseded by a majority vote, like human rights including minority rights.
So that's a non-argument tbh
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:47 pm

Haven't read through this entire set of posts but on the Kanye thing, he's admitted to being diagnosed with bi-polar but doesn't take meds. And TBH if you're manic as much as he seems to be you wouldn't want to, feels great especially when the other half of your life is depression. All of his "controversial" stuff are classic symptoms of bi-polar mania.

People are calling the sending the troops to the border an election tactic, I see it as a distraction to Trumps attempts to define me out of existence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/24/trump-administration-gender-transgender-united-nations

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/18052306/apple-google-facebook-pushback-trump-transgender-policy-title-ix
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:59 pm

It's $200m in wasteful spending as well as taking these troops away from their families for the Holidays, all because of 5000 people fleeing widespread corruption and gang/cartel violence?

And before our resident conservatives pipe in, yes Mexico's deal was quite generous and it's Southern regions are quite safer than the cartel-ridden North. Those Southern regions are also closer to the countries these folks are trying to escape from, leaving them vulnerable to potential retaliation from the gangs they are fleeing from.

The sad thing is that I don't think my country is as safe as it seems. These people will have targets on their backs if some whacked out militia doesn't take matters into their own hands at the border first.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:14 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:Luckily the US is a republic and not a pure democracy, with protections built in against majority rule. In a majority rule society the rights of religious, ethnic and economic minorities would be easily swept aside (and while you could argue that this does in fact happen, it would be worse without the institutions that prevent it). The US government was designed to prevent the "tyranny of the majority".

But that's what you have constitutional rights for. You can define things that can't be superseded by a majority vote, like human rights including minority rights.
So that's a non-argument tbh
The constitution is a 250 year old document that Americans are too afraid to change. It cannot be relied on to be always applicable to the modern world.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:09 am

Ehh we've changed it. 15 times if you go by the amendments. Even more if you go by the changes made to interpret those amendments differently.

It's certain amendments, primarily those that reside within the Bill of Rights, that we are too afraid to change. Ironically, those are the ones we need to change the most. Like I said earlier, the 2nd amendment is the 1 amendment that needs the most updating. The fear around changing it is manufactured by the gun lobby.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:31 pm

With the midterms tomorrow, I'm making this thread the overall US politics thread.

As Trump is (unfortunately) a huge part of US politics, I would imagine quite a few of the topics in this thread will still revolve around him.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:44 pm

McLewis wrote:Ehh we've changed it. 15 times if you go by the amendments. Even more if you go by the changes made to interpret those amendments differently.

It's certain amendments, primarily those that reside within the Bill of Rights, that we are too afraid to change. Ironically, those are the ones we need to change the most. Like I said earlier, the 2nd amendment is the 1 amendment that needs the most updating. The fear around changing it is manufactured by the gun lobby.
do you think more people would be for changing the 2nd amendment than against if it was put to a brexit style vote.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 pm

Unique wrote:
McLewis wrote:Ehh we've changed it. 15 times if you go by the amendments. Even more if you go by the changes made to interpret those amendments differently.

do you think more people would be for changing the 2nd amendment than against if it was put to a brexit style vote.

Given that Democrats/Liberals outnumber Republicans/Conservatives here, yes I believe that could happen. What gives me overall pause though is that the gun lobby would still find a way to exert influence and turn things in their favor. They've done this regardless of who has the majority or who has the political power in Washington.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Unique wrote:

Think it would be like 70/30 for changing it tbh. To some extent. Like banning auto and semi automatic weapons. Getting good background checks for all gun purchases. Refusing domestic abusers etc.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:55 pm

McLewis wrote:
Unique wrote:

Given that Democrats/Liberals outnumber Republicans/Conservatives here, yes I believe that could happen. What gives me overall pause though is that the gun lobby would still find a way to exert influence and turn things in their favor. They've done this regardless of who has the majority or who has the political power in Washington.
i saw one of michael moores documentarys before and it talked about the NRA and tbh i was shocked about how much power they have. its like a gun club can take on the government.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Freeza wrote:
Unique wrote:

Think it would be like 70/30 for changing it tbh. To some extent. Like banning auto and semi automatic weapons. Getting good background checks for all gun purchases. Refusing domestic abusers etc.

You don't need to change the 2nd amendment to do all that. You only need representatives that aren't corrupt.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Unique wrote:
McLewis wrote:
Unique wrote: do you think more people would be for changing the 2nd amendment than against if it was put to a brexit style vote.

i saw one of michael moores documentarys before and it talked about the NRA and tbh i was shocked about how much power they have. its like a gun club can take on the government.

It's a huge industry, and they've built up a very determined and effective lobby with the NRA and they're pouring loads of money onto (mostly Republican) candidates and representatives.
It's a problem of money in politics, of corruption, basically.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 pm

soooo no one cares abouts Trumps campaign to remove my rights?

good to know.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:37 pm

Bellabong wrote:soooo no one cares abouts Trumps campaign to remove my rights?

good to know.

Why do you think that? Because noone has posted about it? That would be a wrong conclusion to draw
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 pm

Bellabong wrote:soooo no one cares abouts Trumps campaign to remove my rights?

good to know.
go back a few pages and read some of the posts.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next