free_cat
Glory
urbaNRoots
Sri
Hapless_Hans
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The English youngsters with bizarre double surnames thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The English youngsters with bizarre double surnames thread

Post by RealGunner Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Yea at this point it seems to be a fashion trend rather than anything else.

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The English youngsters with bizarre double surnames thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The English youngsters with bizarre double surnames thread

Post by CBarca Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Liverpool fullback Trent Alexander-Arnold

Also, Cameron Carter-Vickers is American Smile
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Alexander Arnold is the 2nd biggest talent in our academy after Woodburn.

Will be 100% a starter the second Clyne declines or gets injured.

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Don't call me James wrote:Alexander Arnold is the 2nd biggest talent in our academy after Woodburn.

Will be 100% a starter the second Clyne declines or gets injured.

that's if barca and madrid don't fight over him this window.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:40 pm

I agree with Hames, I too think Terrence Trent D'Arby is an excellent talent
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:I agree with Hames, I too think Terrence Trent D'Arby is an excellent talent
wonder if he is stoke on trent Very Happy
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:37 pm

I think its pretty cool there is a big enough connection to a last name to stack them like that lol.

My last name literally was pulled out of my ancestors(kind of weird calling somebody that) ass when his son needed it before being sent to boot camp for the war against the Russians. I think the only Japanese people who had last names before that were people who went to University in China where they would also force students to make up a name. Probably why I never got bothered when kids would make fun of my last name. Never really took it too serious Laughing

The English youngsters with bizarre double surnames thread - Page 2 Imgur_com

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:25 am

Last name is clearly wang
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Callum Hudson-Odoi Molenation
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Relevant:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/02/keeping-up-with-smith-joneses-no-longer-posh-double-barrelled-surname

Equality is clearly one motivator behind the proliferation of the double barrel. “We wanted to celebrate the fact that we were modern people,” says Ben Eden-Davies, who was Ben Davies before he married Camilla Eden. “As a married couple, we wanted to have a collective identity,” which they now share with their daughter.

But there are other reasons for the surge in popularity of two names. The rise of the blended family, for instance, has triggered a sort of familial reorganisation which has required a familial renaming. I know of people who had single barrels until their parents divorced, and they wanted, retrospectively, to hitch themselves in name to both parents. I know of others who lived single-barrelled until the unnamed parent remarried and belatedly doubled. I know of others still who adopt a second barrel in order to preserve their ethnic or social heritage. (I can relate to this. I have opened discussions in my own family to insert my surname into my children’s names as a sort of invisible middle name, a kind of secret pocket they can tap now and then to check their Italian heritage is safe.) There are some – such as Dawn O’Porter (born Dawn Porter) – who blend their name with a partner’s to create a fresh name, or give their children totally invented last names. And others still who decide which name to give on the toss of a coin.

Btw Kyle Walker Peters has 3 MOTM performances in his 4 starts
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Emile Smith Rowe

Jake Clarke-Salter

Martell Taylor-Crossdale

George Sykes-Kenworthy

Nathaniel Knight-Percival

Aaron Wan-Bissaka
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:15 pm

James Word-Prowse
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Relevant:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/02/keeping-up-with-smith-joneses-no-longer-posh-double-barrelled-surname

Equality is clearly one motivator behind the proliferation of the double barrel. “We wanted to celebrate the fact that we were modern people,” says Ben Eden-Davies, who was Ben Davies before he married Camilla Eden. “As a married couple, we wanted to have a collective identity,” which they now share with their daughter.

But there are other reasons for the surge in popularity of two names. The rise of the blended family, for instance, has triggered a sort of familial reorganisation which has required a familial renaming. I know of people who had single barrels until their parents divorced, and they wanted, retrospectively, to hitch themselves in name to both parents. I know of others who lived single-barrelled until the unnamed parent remarried and belatedly doubled. I know of others still who adopt a second barrel in order to preserve their ethnic or social heritage. (I can relate to this. I have opened discussions in my own family to insert my surname into my children’s names as a sort of invisible middle name, a kind of secret pocket they can tap now and then to check their Italian heritage is safe.) There are some – such as Dawn O’Porter (born Dawn Porter) – who blend their name with a partner’s to create a fresh name, or give their children totally invented last names. And others still who decide which name to give on the toss of a coin.

Btw Kyle Walker Peters has 3 MOTM performances in his 4 starts

Interesting, thanks for linking.
When making this thread I wasn't actually aware these double names were a posh thing in England, historically, as @DagenhamDave did already point out above.

But now I realize it must be quite a thing, since this imbecile upper class Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg's recent forays into the limelight made me remember the classic Monty Python sketch "Upper Class Twit Of The Year"

Here the contestants' names are
Vivian Smith-Smythe-Smith,
Simon Zinc-Trumpet-Harris,
Nigel Incubator-Jones,
Gervaise Brook-Hampster,
Oliver St. John-Mollusc

so clearly silly double names is not a new thing in England, and my hypothesis that these names were a product of some kind of heritage protectionism in new and diverse relationships isn't quite accurate.
Safe to say there's also an element of wannabe-poshness involved?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 am

In the article some choose to forgo the hyphen due to it's posh implications, choosing a simple space instead
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:13 am

Remember last year when Tottenham replaced Kyle Walker with Kyle Walker-Peters rofl
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:30 am

You'll be glad to know Hans i don't even have a middle name Molenation
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:18 am

What is middle name supposed to be? In my country generally its father's name.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:56 am

Serious questions; what is the purpose of a middle name, and what happens when two people both with double-barrel surnames marry each other?
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:14 am

What is the purpose of a first name? It's all the same, middle names are just part of your name. You pick it for your child the same way you pick their first name, and it becomes their full name: First Middle Last.

In most Latin cultures you usually have 3 or 4 names: first, middle, father's last name and mother's last name.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:05 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:In the article some choose to forgo the hyphen due to it's posh implications, choosing a simple space instead

As evidenced in the Arsenal squad, where this is Ainsley Maitland-Niles (hyphen) and Emile Smith Rowe (no hyphen).

Anyway, more names for Hans' list:

Morgan Gibbs-White
Taylor Harwood-Bellis
Nathan Wood-Gordon
Armstrong Oko-Flex
Ian Poveda-Ocampo
Vontae Daley-Campbell
J'Neil Lloyd-Bennett
Tyreece John-Jules
Luca Ashby-Hammond

Last edited by Jay29 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:10 am

I think with middle name, Mole meant a second first name, right?

In that case, the middle name is of course choosen by the parents like the first first name, often to remember/honour some grandparent or uncle/aunt.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:12 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:I think with middle name, Mole meant a second first name, right?

In that case, the middle name is of course choosen by the parents like the first first name, often to remember/honour some grandparent or uncle/aunt.

Correct.

I just have my first name and my surname hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 am

Jay29 wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:In the article some choose to forgo the hyphen due to it's posh implications, choosing a simple space instead

As evidenced in the Arsenal squad, where this is Ainsley Maitland-Niles (hyphen) and Emile Smith Rowe (no hyphen).

Anyway, more names for Hans' list:

Morgan Gibbs-White
Taylor Harwood-Bellis
Nathan Wood-Gordon
Armstrong Oko-Flex
Ian Poveda-Ocampo

Holy hell

I swear Öko-Flex is the name of an electricity tariff product I once had choosen from my electricity company. Öko signifying Ecological i.e. from renewable sources and Flex 'flexibility' meaning you could cancel the tariff monthly or so
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:18 am

Hyphen thing is weird though.

Even when people actually have middle names in the way Hans just described the hyphens don't actually exist.

So this is some other pompous nonsense Evil or Very Mad
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:I think with middle name, Mole meant a second first name, right?

Correct.

I just have my first name and my surname hmm

Maybe you could officially make "Mole" as your second first name?
Assuming that is not your actual first name already
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:20 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Hyphen thing is weird though.

Even when people actually have middle names in the way Hans just described the hyphens don't actually exist.

So this is some other pompous nonsense Evil or Very Mad

But the hyphens signify the equal connection of family names (husband and wife) to one new family name, nothing to do with first or middle name? Or are the posh double surname formed in a different way?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next