Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
urbaNRoots
Sina
Jay29
43 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by mani88 Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:52 am

Eman wrote:
What he *wants* to do is win without spending huge sums so that clubs see what he's trying to do, understand why he's doing it, and follow his lead. However, if he fails, he will have ruined our club's chances of success for no reason at all. I truly hope that he does it for the good of us 1st of all but the EPL as well and can go down as a hero for it, and as I said I respect him more for having these values which I agree with; if nobody looks at the big picture Economics of what is happening then England will become a laughing stock...but I am very worried for us all the same.

Leicester just did that about 4 months ago.
We should not spend to spend but if there are obvious deficiencies they should be rectified either from within or by buying somone. We obviously dont have internal solutions so the holes need to be plugged.
Now what quality material you plug the holes with is the issue. You just want to do "NOT TOO BAD" or GOOD or SPECTACULAR.

If there is a world class player available then the selling team will not think who they sell to but what would they earn. If Norwich or Crystal Palace pay more they will get the player and we will be left with players who no body is willing to take due to being untested or inexperienced or whatever the reason may be.

mani88
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by 6unner Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:56 am

Eman wrote:
But if we do the exact same thing that everyone else does just because they do it, we're sacrificing the principles that make us different.

Yea it would be a sacrifice to actually challenge for the EPL tittle or even the CL. When only Arsenal would except an FA cup in exchange once or twice a decade.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:52 pm

mani88 wrote:
Eman wrote:
What he *wants* to do is win without spending huge sums so that clubs see what he's trying to do, understand why he's doing it, and follow his lead. However, if he fails, he will have ruined our club's chances of success for no reason at all. I truly hope that he does it for the good of us 1st of all but the EPL as well and can go down as a hero for it, and as I said I respect him more for having these values which I agree with; if nobody looks at the big picture Economics of what is happening then England will become a laughing stock...but I am very worried for us all the same.

Leicester just did that about 4 months ago.
We should not spend to spend but if there are obvious deficiencies they should be rectified either from within or by buying somone. We obviously dont have internal solutions so the holes need to be plugged.
Now what quality material you plug the holes with is the issue. You just want to do "NOT TOO BAD" or GOOD or SPECTACULAR.

If there is a world class player available then the selling team will not think who they sell to but what would they earn. If Norwich or Crystal Palace pay more they will get the player and we will be left with players who no body is willing to take due to being untested or inexperienced or whatever the reason may be.

If a player is actually good enough to play for us and knows we're interested, they won't sign a deal at Norwich or Palace until they know we're not signing them. A world class player would simply never join those teams. A club's pull is a very important factor - mid table teams are not our competition in the market; we can get the same players for half of what they can because their teams will often understand that their player will be unsettled if they don't let them join Arsenal.

Also I don't get this 'plugging holes' argument a lot of you are making. We have Giroud, Welbeck, Akpom, Walcott who can all play striker. Obviously we need someone better than them, but we have the numbers. The issue is quality, not quantity like it so often was in the past. The signing of a marquee, world class striker is not a formality.
6unner wrote:
Eman wrote:
But if we do the exact same thing that everyone else does just because they do it, we're sacrificing the principles that make us different.

Yea it would be a sacrifice to actually challenge for the EPL tittle or even the CL. When only Arsenal would except an FA cup in exchange once or twice a decade.

I literally said I want us to spend money, just not ridiculous money for the sake of it. On a striker we do need to pay a ridiculous amount, but if we go too overboard and pay 60mil for a Lacazette for example, we'll set a bad precedent that will hurt us in future transfers like we see at Man City, Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea for example where they have to pay 47.5mil for Stones, 100mil for Pogba, 30mil for Sane or 60+mil for Koulibaly. Everyone knows they have money so they're getting bled dry every time they go to market even on players that aren't in 'expensive' positions like striker. If we act really cheap and have that reputation, clubs will know they can't screw us.

Again, everyone's coming at me like I said I don't want us to spend. I've said I do in every comment. I'm just not screaming bloody murder every time Wenger opens his mouth Neutral
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Everyone knows they have money so they're getting bled dry every time they go to market even on players that aren't in 'expensive' positions like striker. If we act really cheap and have that reputation, clubs will know they can't screw us.

Not coming at you here but the problem with this is that everyone already knows that Arsenal have a lot of spending power, probably from the moment we signed Ozil for £42.5mil. Unless they really need the sale no club is going to willingly drop their asking price when we come in for their players.

Things like value are relative, anyway. I don't think any of those clubs you mentioned feel like they've been screwed in a deal because a) they can afford those prices and b) they'll make the money back. We as fans might think the money is too much but it's just how things are. The club either has to adapt to that or it needs to be more creative with its transers. At the moment, it's not doing either.

Again, everyone's coming at me like I said I don't want us to spend. I've said I do in every comment. I'm just not screaming bloody murder every time Wenger opens his mouth

People are a bit riled up at the moment. Not many are really willing to entertain what Wenger says about the market because he contradicts himself and actions are far more telling. Fair play for supporting him but it's kinda wrong place wrong time unfortunately.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:48 pm

on whether Alexis can play in long-term as central striker…
I think so, yes. I think it is worth it to try as he has the quality to go behind. Honestly he did not have the most convincing game [against Liverpool] - he is one of them who is not completely ready physically. We did not dominate the game as much as we would have liked in midfield and he suffered a little bit from that as well. But on the flanks he uses a lot of energy by chasing back and I would like to use his energy sometimes a bit more efficiently by going behind the defenders as he is a good finisher. He has played centre forward at Barcelona.

on whether he needs to sign another forward to help Alexis…
I believe a club like ours is focused on giving chances to the players we develop in our own club. We have a few strikers who have a chance, if we find the right players we buy. But if you ask people 'give me names', you see that it is not that easy - look at a club like Real Madrid, who have they bought? Up front, it is very difficult.

on other options up front…
It is an important season for Theo, because last year he had a difficult period. He can play as a striker and his numbers are excellent when he plays up front, we have Giroud, Alexis, Walcott, Akpom and Sanogo who is still here but is injured at the moment - the players we buy have to be better. Alexis and Walcott have pace, our game is linked with the speed of passing and the speed of movement and you need two."

Kill me already. Neutral
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:46 pm

lmfao man named Sanogo as an option

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:55 pm

"Joel Campbell having medical at Sporting Lisbon. He will join on season-long loan."
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:01 am

Good for him.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:04 am

Hope he leaves permanently. We are ruining his career.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:38 am

Saying Alexis and Sanogo could be strikers for us at a time like this is just :facepalm: - this will only upset everyone even more. It's as though he's entertaining the possibility of us not buying a striker, which would essentially be giving up on the entire season after week 1.

Campbell is absolute class. I hope he doesn't leave...if we're playing Theo and Alexis as our strikers then our wings look a little weak Arsene :brickwall:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:31 am

It's awful if Campbell is loaned. What on earth is Wenger aiming for? Give him a shot now if you're not signing attacking players. Or sell him and apply funds to another purchase. But a loan!?

:facepalm:
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:51 am

urbaNRoots wrote:- look at a club like Real Madrid, who have they bought? Up front, it is very difficult.

Sanogo counts but Morata doesn't? Thanks for that pearl, Wanker.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:24 am

Yeah, not the most convincing comment from Wenger there. "Look at Real Madrid - who have they brought?" Morata, of course. "give me names - you see that it's not easy", well how about:

Batshuayi
Ibrahimovic
Gameiro
Higuain
Lacazette
Icardi
Lukaku

...four of which actually did move to big clubs.

But whatever, I had a feeling a forward wouldn't arrive the first time he bigged up his current options.

Also, Campbell's pending departure: would be a massive shame. He's one of the few wingers at the club that actually performed last season when he had the opportunity, but now he's getting shafted while Walcott and Chamberlain get yet another chance. It's sad but it's just as well he leaves because the manager clearly doesn't rate him and he deserves better than the way he's being treated.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:01 am

Chumlum wrote:It's awful if Campbell is loaned. What on earth is Wenger aiming for? Give him a shot now if you're not signing attacking players. Or sell him and apply funds to another purchase. But a loan!?

:facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Not only this guy knows how to play football unlike Ox and Theo but Arsene loans him when an injury to Theo and Ox could leave us very thin in this position
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:29 pm

I suppose if there's one good thing that could come of Campbell leaving its the posibility of Gnabry getting more first team games.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Feel like giving up on everything.

20th August. Still haggling on Mustafi's price while no sign of a striker coming in.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:56 pm

If Schweini was 33 or something, I'd tempt him with an offer as a coach at Arsenal. But at 31 he probably wants to play more.

But then we couldn't even tempt Arteta to stay.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Wenger confirms Takuma Asano has not got work permit. Will be loaned to Germany or France

Wenger on why Asano hasn't got work permit - "because he didn't cost £50m"
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Lmfaoooooo
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:17 pm

RealGunner wrote:Wenger confirms Takuma Asano has not got work permit. Will be loaned to Germany or France

in the same vein:

Wenger on signing Flamini for free in 2013: "I'm just sorry he didn't cost £25m."
Wenger on signing Holding for £2.5m today: "I'm just sorry he didn't cost £55m."
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 pm

RealGunner wrote:Wenger confirms Takuma Asano has not got work permit. Will be loaned to Germany or France

It's kind of true though, the work permit rule is advantaging big name and big money signings and accordingly disadvantaging smaller clubs and those trying to make bargains and sign lesser known prospects.

It's a joke and should be scrapped.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:21 pm

Wenger says he "hopes Mustafi will be done". Also said we are struggling to find the players we need.

Probably because they all moved already.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:40 pm

Lacazette is finished too apparently because, even if Arsenal were to up the bid to what Aulas wants, they don't have time to find a proper replacement.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Did Lacazette score 5 goals in 2 matches so far lmao?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Mustafi :bow:

Glad Arsene confirmed it.

Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding and Mertesacker would be 4 quality CBs.

Now a forward ffs
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Yeah Holding was good today. Your central defense overall is top class.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next