+5
DuringTheWar
6unner
Raptorgunner
RealGunner
Jay29
9 posters

Go down

Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves Empty Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves

Post by Jay29 Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:03 pm

The general feeling after that game is more bemusement than elation that we've actually won a game of football. Such was the state of our performance that after Podolski scored that last minute winner, instead of celebrating like mad I was wondering how the hell Anderlecht let us win.

That's how Arsenal are right now. Far from their best, yet still peddling crap about how the results haven't justified the performances, every game is a struggle; a struggle to create chances and score goals, a struggle to keep them out the other end. Even against this Anderlecht side, full of young players, we didn't look convincing at all.

There was little intensity to Arsenal's play. As usual, there was a lack of penetration and a lack of impetus being shown by the players. Ramsey and Wilshere in midfield were completely ineffectual, not covering the defence and winning the ball back, and not creating chances going forward despite being self-dubbed box-to-box midfielders. Cazorla, too, had a quiet game, rarely getting on the ball in dangerous positions. Only Alexis looked like he had any good ideas as to how to create something, but that's not enough. Welbeck didn't have a single shot all game, thanks to terrible service.

At the back, we looked far from convincing. A young right back and make shift centre half, plus a young keeper, meant we lacked authority. Martinez may have been untested for most of the game, but when Anderlecht got their decision making right in the final third and produced something dangerous, we couldn't deal with it. A simple ball into the box and yet both are players in there decided to mark the same player. Anderlecht could have and should have killed us off; we allowed runners into our box, players to run at us and get balls in and players to get shots away. Is it any wonder we can't keep the goals out anymore?

After they went ahead, we weren't galvanised at all. It was just more of the same. Wenger, as always, brings on some fresh legs several minutes too late – surely he must be able to see that his team was being ineffective much earlier than 73 minutes – but there were too few players showing the necessary urgency.

That we somehow scored twice and won the game barely papers off the massive cracks in the team. We don't look with it at all. We can't defend and are letting in too many sloppy goals, and we can't create good enough chances to score at the other end. I say this after every game. It's not getting better.

So I'll repeat myself. Something needs to change to get this side performing better again. Change the personnel, the set-up, the way we play, whatever. I'm just fed up of watching crap every week from players who shouldn't be producing crap. Undoubtedly Wenger will come out and say how we had spirit and whatnot but in my mind this is going to be a false dawn and not the springboard with which we get our shit together. Nothing about our performance convinces me that we're going to be better in the next game.

It was an important win. We just need to win our two remaining home games and we should be through. But I'm not happy at all with just about beating Anderlecht.

Sunderland and Burnley to come. If we don't win those two games...

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves Empty Re: Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves

Post by RealGunner Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Lmao I am not even mad.

The performance was disgusting. Typical of a team lacking confidence and charisma. Nothing we tried came off and players started losing interest. We honestly gave up till the last 10 minutes. But Thought the subs changed the game slightly like it did against Hull.

Wilshere was horrible. Ramsey looks rusty and once again, played in a position he is not good at. Cazorla was very disappointing. Basically the team overall were shit in general, nevermind singling out people.

Thought even gibbs looked tired but at least he came out with a goal :bow:
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves Empty Re: Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Did you guys see how sanchez was shaking his head at full time, embarrassed and look at Wenger, useless.

rofl
Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves B0lGuIICIAEixzY

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Absolutely terrible team, No fight, very slow, can’t pass, no creativity, very weak. 3 more years of Wenger. :facepalm:

4-1-4-1 formation. :facepalm:

Jack and Ramsey. :facepalm:

Wenger. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

mertesacker.:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 pm

I keep telling myself to be happy about a last minute win.

Just can not get over the first 89 minutes of the match. Relieved about the win, Sad for Anderlecht and the loss and outraged that we are still playing like crap every match. Unless things change drastically and quick. I just do not see us staying in the top 4.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 pm

RealGunner wrote: Ramsey looks rusty and once again, played in a position he is not good at.:

Does everyone agree with this? I don't see how ramsey isn't able to play the role that's asked of him, I think hes just in a bad form.
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:43 pm

I think that there has been several occasions that people have commented on these boards in regards to Ramsey and Wilshere being on the pitch at the same time. It just does not work. Although they are slightly different players their best position is the same position on the pitch. When they are out at the same time spacing and movement is messed up for the entire midfield. In form our not both of them on the pitch just does not work. It is the same with Ozill and Cazoral, Neither of the 2 of them are true left or right wingers. Their best position is in the center of the midfield dictating the play watching over the entire pitch and making the splitting passes that only those two can consistently produce.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 pm

His current role encourages him to complicate things a bit, I feel. At the same time, he's not doing the simple thing well; wayward passing, shots not hitting the target, not looking as dynamic as he was last season or even the season before, not getting into goalscoring positions as often.

Don't know why his form has declined so much. Being in a slightly different role shouldn't effect his ability to play simple sideways passes or get shots on target.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 pm

I was actually laughing all the way through the second half. We couldn't have been any more horrible tbh.

I guess I should say credit to that we stuck in for as long and found the goals in the last few minutes, but honestly if we keep playing this crap we're on about atm then what exactly is the use somebody tell me?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:57 pm

This was us today.

Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves QRmvpGk
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:19 am

DuringTheWar wrote:
RealGunner wrote: Ramsey looks rusty and once again, played in a position he is not good at.:

Does everyone agree with this? I don't see how ramsey isn't able to play the role that's asked of him, I think hes just in a bad form.

It's not just about today's performance. It's been like that all season since Wenger started playing 4-1-4-1 and trying to fit in Wilshere, Ramsey and Ozil together. Ramsey's game suffers immensely due to this. He isn't a CAM. He is a goalscorer but that doesn't mean he should be playing close to the striker and support him. He exploits space running from deep. Like Lampard or Yaya used to/still do. Also he was great at starting the play from deep when linking with Arteta. Where we clicked so well at times last year.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:38 am

RealGunner wrote:
DuringTheWar wrote:

It's not just about today's performance. It's been like that all season since Wenger started playing 4-1-4-1 and trying to fit in Wilshere, Ramsey and Ozil together. Ramsey's game suffers immensely due to this. He isn't a CAM. He is a goalscorer but that doesn't mean he should be playing close to the striker and support him. He exploits space running from deep. Like Lampard or Yaya used to/still do. Also he was great at starting the play from deep when linking with Arteta. Where we clicked so well at times last year.

I think I agree with GoonerJay. He is doing simple things wrong, little to do with his position. I would reserve judgement about whether he can play in this position or not until he sorts himself out.
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:12 am

Re-watching the first half and I noticed that, bizarrely, we don't play enough risky passes in midfield when the opposing team are making it difficult to play through there. We pick the safer option almost every time.

It's a bit odd for a team that has some very good passers. Flamini takes the safety first option most of the time, but also Wilshere and Ramsey do, too. Some examples:

Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves F004_zpsab298670

Wilshere goes backwards here, but couldn't he have dinked it forward? The ball to Cazorla is difficult because of the player in front of him, but the potential passes to Ramsey and Welbeck look viable. Not to mention Gibbs out wide.

Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves F006_zps77cb103e

Ramsey this time. Surely, he can pass to Wilshere there. Wilshere's in good space. He can drive the team forward from there. But Ramsey passes to Welbeck out wide instead.

Anderlecht 1 - 2 Arsenal: Anderlecht should be ashamed of themselves F007_zps39e6fc89

Flamini can swing that out towards Cazorla. Instead he passes two yards sideways to Wilshere.

Might just be a confidence thing. I'll have to look at some other games to see if it's a regular feature of the way we play.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:51 am

Paul Merson was saying this at HT talkfest: players didn't look like they want the ball. This is in line with the mentality issue in your post, Jay.

I think it's coming down to confidence as well. We are severely lacking that.

Ramsey: he's not keeping things simple any more; that was when he started to shine, when he was moved deeper and not used as a CAM or on RW. Also, since pre-season, I have a feeling that he's trying too hard to replicate his goals and assists - putting too much pressure on himself to deliver MOTM performances and create things. He has to start doing the basics right again and believe that the quality of players like Sanchez and Walcott will deliver ahead of him.

The most beast way of lining up for me would be to push both Jack and Aaron deep, play Özil as CAM and Theo-Welbeck-Sanchez ahead. Arteta/Flamini/Cazorla/Ox/Rosicky is excellent depth to have. This will work, if Wenger and the fans stop heaping expectations on Jack/Aaron to deliver in the final third and the two of them build an understanding of alternating with going forward and staying back. With their work rates, they can definitely shield the back line between them. And we will finally see in the attack, what we have been wanting to see since we spent 50m€ on Özil and then some more for Alexis and Welbeck.

But if they keep doing the same thing, then this situation isn't going to improve anytime soon.

We had a good season last year. We had a good formula and a base to build on. We had clear weaknesses to address - a DM, a CB, a RB, pacy forwards. Instead, we have managed to take a circuitous and laborious route of switching formations and regressing - all because we want Jack and Aaron to perform together on the pitch.

Three steps forward, two steps back - the story of Wenger's Arsenal.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Wenger will not change his formation, Wenger remains stubborn Literally no game plan or tactics. Ramsey was rushed back too soon imo, and things will only get worse as long as Wenger in charge Arsenal.

Which planet is he from, the same quotes almost every game... the same guy who said Arsenal and Chelsea on same level. Surprised
AW: “We kept going and managed to score 2 good goals because we had spirit.” rofl
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:54 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:Wenger will not change his formation, Wenger remains stubborn Literally no game plan or tactics. Ramsey was rushed back too soon imo, and things will only get worse as long as Wenger in charge Arsenal.

Which planet is he from, the same quotes almost every game... the same guy who said Arsenal and Chelsea on same level. Surprised
AW: “We kept going and managed to score 2 good goals because we had spirit.” rofl

He is right about that part. We've been playing some shitty football lately but we have been scoring late goals which is always positive.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Per Mertesacker admits Arsenal's 'confidence is shot' and he is 'struggling' after Germany's World Cup triumph

Or maybe your are just not good enouph?

http://www.independent.co.uk/topic/Arsenal

Sanchez shaking his head, what guy...we are very lucky to have this guy. :bow:
https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/9313BCD7181136808157344129024_37a1bd0f95c.0.0.16503752093059763593.mp4?versionId=NbqySWcE_N0RLZooaxODuMNC4C8PwDw2
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:48 pm

What's your beef with Mertesacker now? He's the only *bleep* defender of half-arsed quality we have right now. And don't say Koscielny - that guy has his hare brained moments even when he isn't injured.

Don't blame the defenders for the shortcomings of the midfield as a unit. We did well defensively last year because (a) the midfield did it's job, and (b) we had a stable *bleep* defense and not rotating the back four every bloody game. When you do that, you can't expect the one constant in that perma-changing back line to have world class performance.

Dude, I get it, we are playing shit. I am not happy about it either. But stop witch hunting individuals. You can't blame everything on one person - be it Per or Jack or Wenger.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Sri, everything is ass up atm.
We're not getting preferred results.
We're playing bad.
Injuries.

But at the top of it all is Wenger and his stubborness. So I wouldn't say it is an injustice to call him out.
And also, I get your point about our midfield being in shambles, but it's also true that our trustworthy CBs of last year, Per and Kos, have been underwhelming this season so far and it's only fair to point that out.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 pm

My only point is that it is unjust to pin in this on any individual players.

The Wenger part I can understand, even if I don't fully endorse it (yet). But I don't believe in witch hunting individuals.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:04 pm

Good result. Woeful performance.

Probably one of the worst displays I think I've seen from Arsenal. Certainly one of the most boring.

It's actually reached a stage now where I don't enjoy watching us play. I'm not excited to see our games at the minute. I'm more nervous about how we'll mess up. It's a shame it's reached this stage.

The defence was all over the place (what's new) and we had to rely on Martinez on more than one occasion. Flamini continues to be all effort, no ability.

We're suffering at the moment from a number of things: poor tactics, a lack of required quality in certain positions, a hefty injury list and a lack of confidence.

We have to make major improvements in the coming fixtures.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down