Raptorgunner
Firenze
McAgger
47 posters

Page 11 of 31 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 31  Next

Go down

True Detective || HBO - Page 11 Empty Re: True Detective || HBO

Post by ExtremistEnigma Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:02 am

Decent finale. Cinematography and acting once again takes the cake. McConaughey. :bow:

So many questions left unanswered though...

What about Marty's daughter probable sexual abuse or atleast the imagery as a child that led to her being a slut eventually?
What about Tuttles?
No mention of Yellow King, spirals or the satanist cult throughout the episode.
No *bleep* given to Gilbough and Papania.

Sloppy writing imo.

ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:55 am

Finale was amazing. They saved the best for last imo.

That end fight was dope. Errol was a beast, thought Rust was finished.

I did keep waiting for them to explain the connection with Martys daughter and the dolls she posed, but whatever.

Woodys performance will be underrated a bit with McConaughey, but he was awesome.

Last 10-15 minutes showed why MM can't be touched right now, killed it
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:50 am

WOW that was f*ckin amazing. McConaughey absolutely destroyed it in the last 15 minutes. And like Dmize said poor Harrelson will go unnoticed because of that but he was fantastic as well. MM is going to win an Emmy, there's absolutely no way they can snub him.

Obviously the cinematography was out of this world as per usual. The setting, though, my god that was the most perfect set for Carcosa. That well-like dome at the end with the hole in the ceiling was the best possible place to end the killer.

The Yellow King, spirals and satanic bs has already been explained a million times over the 7 episodes, the Yellow King was a always a symbol of darkness not an actual person or what have you.

But yeah they did leave some stuff unanswered. Specially the arc with Marty's daughter like already been mentioned.

So could've been slightly better from the writing aspect, but everything else was near perfect. 9/10 finale for me.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Amazing finale :bow: The acting was out of this world from both McConaughey and Harrelson. Errol was a damn monster wow. Man I thought both Marty and Rust were goners after Marty got axed on the chest. What a series this has been. Take a bow True Detective, take a bow.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:40 pm

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto-looks-back-on-season-1/1

Read the entire thing. It's good.

Can you tell me anything at all about season 2?

Nic Pizzolatto: Okay. This is really early, but I'll tell you (it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:What about Marty's daughter probable sexual abuse or atleast the imagery as a child that led to her being a slut eventually?

Lol what proof is there she got sexually abused as a child? She grew up with a bad crowd and suffered from inattention as Marty said and thus became a problem child. There are hundreds of sluts all around the world who were not sexually abused or anything. Some people writing long posts on the internet does not mean that the 'theory' is correct. I lolled so hard at 'Maggie is the Yellow King' theory, that theory is just as right as Audrey having a history of sexual abuse is. That doll formation was simply nothing but a foreshadowing/symbolism like this was.

Spoiler:

That did not mean that the birds were a part of the cult, did it? Just plain symbolism/foreshadowing like the teddy bear in Breaking Bad.

What about Tuttles?

"We didn't get em all, Marty,"

"We ain't going to. This isn't that kind of world."

Billy Lee Tuttle died on 2010 and nothing more happened to the rest of the family as one Tuttle is a Senator and used his political power to smooth out things. Besides there is no conclusive proof to arrest anyone else.

No mention of Yellow King, spirals or the satanist cult throughout the episode.

What is there to mention anymore?

No *bleep* given to Gilbough and Papania.

This show was about Marty and Rust. Gilbough and Papania are minor characters and they did have a significant role in the finale.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Great finale. they didn't try to use action and fake elements to create false excitation. Finale stayed loyal to the show.

and that final scene between MM and WH....that acting....

Now seeing what a performer MM is i can't wait for Interstellar.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:40 pm

That was a very satisfying conclusion. Can't wait to buy this on Blu-Ray, best thing to ever grace TV alongside Band of Brothers.

Here's a good, short read that a friend of mine shared with me, don't know if it was taken from an article or something from the creator or what;

For me as a storyteller, I want to follow the characters and the story through what they organically demand. And it would have been the easiest thing in the world to kill one or both of these guys. I even had an idea where something more mysterious happened to them, where they vanished into the unknown and Gilbough and Papania had to clean up the mess and nobody knows what happens to them. Or it could have gone full blown supernatural. But I think both of those things would have been easy, and they would have denied the sort of realist questions the show had been asking all along. To retreat to the supernatural, or to take the easy dramatic route of killing a character in order to achieve an emotional response from the audience, I thought would have been a disservice to the story. What was more interesting to me is that both these men are left in a place of deliverance, a place where even Cohle might be able to acknowledge the possibility of grace in the world. Because one way both men were alike in their failures was that neither man could admit the possibility of grace. I don't mean that in a religious sense. Where we leave Cohle, this man hasn't made a 180 change or anything like that. He's moved maybe 5 degrees on the meter, but the optimistic metaphor he makes at the end, it's not sentimental; it's purely based on physics. Considering what these characters had been through, it seemed hard to me to work out a way where they both live and they both exit the show to live better lives beyond the boundaries of these eight episodes. Now they are going to go on and live forever beyond the margins of the show, and our sense, at least, is they haven't changed in any black to white way, but there is a sense that they have been delivered from the heart of darkness. They did not avert their eyes, whatever their failings as men. And that when they exit, they are in a different place."

and I completely agree Woody Harrleson was absolutely incredible too.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:14 pm

That was wonderful Proud
That last moment between Rust and Marty was absolutely amazing Proud

The way that I see Rust breaking out and crying at the end is just a point of "no more" for Rust. He has taken in all these years of violence that he saw. All the hatred and darkness in this world that he witnessed and absorbed, plus his complex perception of life and his choice to not "fall into despair" and not to see things the way others around him saw it. That especially, his choice not to do so. In this episode he talked about choice with Marty and said everybody has a choice. So deep down somewhere he knows that he could've also lived a normal, average Joe life and could've had friends and could've enjoyed parties and social gathering and stuff like that. And despite him being the way he is, there's always a choice right in there somewhere. That choice to follow the path of faith. And he didn't chose that path. And now as I said, all this stuff that has been in his head and that he absorbed he just couldn't handle anymore and just let out. That was his saturation point. The image that he told Marty about him seeing and feeling the love of his daughter in the "darker place" was just an expression for that. Remember that vision of his daughter being in a much darker place was already in his head. He told that to the two detectives in one of the earlier episodes. He said something more or less like "The doctor said that she didn't feel any pain... She was in this dark place and then just slipped into this darker place. How peaceful is that. What a great way to go out."
So yeah that's how I see it Very Happy

And

There was one line in particular I loved. When Marty and Rust talked about the stars. How Rust always used to look up and tell stories to himself. As he looked up to the sky, Marty concluded it with a strong line: "I know we ain't in Alaska, but it appears to me the dark has a lot more territory."
That right there, just folded up everything (content, story, themes) of this show in one sentence and laid it right there in the most calm and soothing voice. :bow:
That ending was very strong and emotional.

Anyway what more...
The fighting scene :bow:
Errol who stuck that knife right into Rust's gut and lifting him into the air. :bow:
The way Marty saved Rust from dying by arriving in time and the way Rust saved Marty when Errol was about to kill Marty off. :bow:
The carcosa scenery was just epic Proud

All in all, it was a wonderful end to the story. Yes, a very interesting arc was left unanswered in Marty's daughter's case, which is quite weird because it seemed important in the context of the show. But anyway, I won't allow that to put a dent on one of the most significant and amazing seasons I've ever saw.

True Detective, Marty and Rust, season 1.
Peace out. Thumbs up
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:51 pm

I thought yesss its true MM is so screwed, But he ends up saving WD's ass. Not bad.

But wouldn't have minded MM dying what does he now have in his life to live for?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:55 pm

The image you posted M99.. that didn't happen actually lol.. those were Rust's hallucinations.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 pm

Well, I enjoyed it, but they left a bunch of loose ends, so either it was purposeful misdirection. When I think of it, maybe it's satire of other detective dramas and the crazy route they take.

Overall, the first 4 episodes were perfects, the last four weren't.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 pm

The last four episodes were better imo, 5 being the best of all 8. The visuals in this series is the best in any show, ever. I have never seen anything like it. The cinematographer, gary fukunaga, and Nic Pizzolatto really made the most of this. The fact that it was made on film probably made gave it the gothic look that made it so unique.
Also I don't really think there is loose ends, just because everything isn't served on a platter.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:00 pm

so no  major twists  as some said , story very linear
How many theories written uselessly, I remember someone said even on Maggie :lol:or those painting of Harty's son..

I think it's right so , history absolutely realistic but not for this not compelling
and this is a great merit. Pizzolatto didn't want to overdo but he chose to follow to a real context  not causing boredom, it would have been easier to vilify the story with some fanciful twists but not so real..
I agree Woody Harrelsson absolutely underrated, a bit obscured by the presence of McGOATghey but he was amazing too
TBH and I say it with nostalgia, it will be difficult to image a similar partnership in future
I was convinced Ruggie would be dead after that hit by Erroll and instead he could live and the final has been much touching, unusual for the introvert Ruggie
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 pm

Nothing is served at all. They very deliberately inserted the daughter into the arc, then pull her out without explanation. So that's one loose end. That combined with the fact that after all this, they just decide to forget about the remaining two killers strikes me as a mid-season change of direction. Just a bit too neat.

None of the iconography is explained either, Carcossa, Black Stars, Five Men, Yellow King, Antlers, not even to the point where you can extrapolate meaning. They just left it, and later used it to augment the setting, rather than play a significant plot role.

Just grouping everything under the category Symbolism doesn't work. The daughter throwing the Tiara up into the tree, that dreamlike sequence, that's something you can label as symbolic. Just like the birds, and the dark tornado vacuum you see at the end. The rest are repeated motifs with very little pay off.

Just to be clear, I loved the series. I think, once the acting can be matched, next season will be better, because they'll have a better idea of time and how to integrate everything given the constraints.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:47 pm

That was absolutely fantastic. Perfect ending. This show really is one of the greatest to ever come out.

If it wasn't clear before, then it should have become clear at the end that the story wasn't about the actual case but how the characters perceive it. How they come through and what they do. It was story telling. An amazing amazing way of story telling.

None of the theories actually came right but I am glad. This ending is better than it would have been if Maggie was behind the murders. There was nothing supernatural about it nor something so fake like Rust giving a F5 to Childress after a tombstone.

Last 15 minutes should alone give MM an Emmy or anything else they can. But forget the awards. Nothing could do justice to the brilliant acting all around in this show.

I am so going to miss this.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:21 am

pretty good interview with the director where he gives his thoughts on fan theories, unanswered questions, etc

http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/true-detective-finale-director-cary-fukunaga-interview.html?mid=twitter_vulture

True Detective finale bagged a series high of 3.5 million viewers Sunday at 9 PM — a 50% spike from the crime anthology’s premiere of 2.3 million. With an average gross audience of 11 million viewers season to date, True Detective becomes HBO’s most-watched freshman series since Six Feet Under’s 11.4 million viewers in 2001. wrote:

Really hope they can attract some elite talent for Season 2. Will be very hard to top.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:22 am

Skyler and Lauri y0lo
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:28 am

HBO 2 GO apparently stopped working during this finale and people freaked the frak out Laughing....blew up twitter about it. I found that hilarious personally.

As for the show, loved it. Excellent stuff the whole way through.

I need to find theme song for this show. Fantastic track.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:42 am

McLewis wrote:HBO 2 GO apparently stopped working during this finale and people freaked the frak out Laughing....blew up twitter about it. I found that hilarious personally.

As for the show, loved it. Excellent stuff the whole way through.

I need to find theme song for this show. Fantastic track.

been listening to it for weeks;

Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:59 am

This song is old of 2003 but no one knew it before of this series  hmm really surprising
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:21 pm

"Far From Any Road" - The Handsome Family
Been a regular on my playlist since last week.

Le Samourai wrote:Well, I enjoyed it, but they left a bunch of loose ends, so either it was purposeful misdirection. When I think of it, maybe it's satire of other detective dramas and the crazy route they take.

Overall, the first 4 episodes were perfects, the last four weren't.
Episode 5 was the best hmm
Along with 8 and 4 not far behind.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Robespierre wrote:This song is old of 2003 but no one knew it  before of  this series  hmm really surprising

No wonder I like it Proud

Large chunks of my media library are from the early Noughties.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:10 pm

Some lines from the finale :

"I strike you as more of a talker or doer, Steve?"

"L'chaim, fatass."

"Look, as sentient meat, however illusory our identities are, we craft those identities by making value judgments. Everybody judges, all the time."

"We didn't get 'em all."
Yeah, and we ain't gonna get 'em all. That ain't what kind of world
it is."

"I could feel my definitions fading."
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:12 pm

when they were going through Errol's lair/Carcosa, the atmosphere really translated to the viewer well, at least in my case, It was really tense and claustrophobic.

I really liked this part too, it was funny

Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Carcosa was brilliant.
M99
M99
Forum Legend