I want to get into soccer/football/futbol? (whichever name you prefer)

+23
hrealmadrid
timzink
Blue
RedOranje
Raptorgunner
spanky
Albiceleste
BarrileteCosmico
FennecFox7
Rebaño Sagrado
RealGunner
abetelle
Donuts
ioilersrock448
DeletedUser#1
Onyx
Juveman17
Forza
Be/\/ceCALI
CBarca
schrutebucks
Real Kandahar
Uncle Jozy
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I want to get into soccer/football/futbol? (whichever name you prefer) Empty I want to get into soccer/football/futbol? (whichever name you prefer)

Post by Uncle Jozy Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 am

live/born in the USA and I've always wanted to become a fan of a football club specifically in the european region but I don't know how. I would have considered following an MLS club despite their lack of talent/class compared to europe but there isn't a club to support in my state (Florida). So I thought I may as well go for a european club to watch. I was hoping to follow a club in the EPL because it supposedly the most entertaining league to watch. But I want to follow a club preferably in the mid table rather than being a fair-weather/band wagon fan or another word I had learn from a few english friends that follow the EPL "glory hunter". I don't see any fun in following a team only because they are good or won the league/title. I rather go through the journey of a lower/average team compete against the bigger clubs in hopes to one day winning something. The problem now is that I have pretty bad internet connection so I can't watch a team through it and I don't know any TV package/channel that is willing to follow/broadcast the mid table/smaller clubs on TV.

Anyone have any suggestions with my problem or am I doomed to only being able to watch top teams on TV Sad

Sorry if this is in the wrong section

Uncle Jozy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

I want to get into soccer/football/futbol? (whichever name you prefer) Empty Re: I want to get into soccer/football/futbol? (whichever name you prefer)

Post by Real Kandahar Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 am

Try to watch the following teams, you will Enjoy their football and not necessarily be known as bandwagon because they are a 6-7/10 team!

Tottenham (England)

Atletico Madrid (Spain)

Inter (Italy)

Dortmund (Germany)
Real Kandahar
Real Kandahar
Banned (Temporary)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

I want to get into soccer/football/futbol? (whichever name you prefer) Empty Re: I want to get into soccer/football/futbol? (whichever name you prefer)

Post by schrutebucks Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:04 am

Enjoy European football, no question. However, I would say that if they're within touching distance (so to speak) of either, don't neglect the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers or Orlando City SC. There's nothing like going to see some live action whenever given the opportunity, even if it doesn't come with the MLS stamp.
schrutebucks
schrutebucks
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:04 am

Your want to follow a mid table team is respectable, BUT what I advise is simply watching football, find a couple teams you like, continue watching them...

Whatever team you enjoy watching the most, start watching all their matches and go from there.

There is no rhyme or reason to finding a team to support, just watch the sport you love and eventually you'll find a team you love too. Good luck.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:05 am

the only way to become a true fan is to watch as many clubs in as many top leagues as you can.. you will find one you grow to love over time. I don't recommend just picking a team immediately without watching the sport for a while.

watch as much football and as many teams as you can, and you will find one yourself, man!

welcome to the forum, bro
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:06 am

Welcome!

"EPL because it supposedly the most entertaining league to watch"

Let's just say that this statement is very debatable, but anyway...

"rather than being a fair-weather/band wagon fan or another word I had learn from a few english friends that follow the EPL "glory hunter""

This is an admirable idea though. Thumbs up

From what you described, your solution may be to follow Liverpool - a club that is considered a top EPL team by most broadcasters, but sits in the upper-mid table. Same goes for Tottenham, although they don't have the history of Liverpool.

But if I may say so, a better idea is to watch as many teams as possible from the highest quality leagues [La Liga (Spain), Serie A (Italy), Bundesliga (Germany), EPL] and see which teams and players you like. Nobody will call you a bandwagoner if you like a top club, but watch them regularly and enjoy watching them. The bandwagoner term is used to describe people who only support a club because it is trendy to do so. There's no shame in supporting a big club if you have legit reasons.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:06 am

CBarca wrote:Your want to follow a mid table team is respectable, BUT what I advise is simply watching football, find a couple teams you like, continue watching them...

Whatever team you enjoy watching the most, start watching all their matches and go from there.

There is no rhyme or reason to finding a team to support, just watch the sport you love and eventually you'll find a team you love too. Good luck.

damnit!! I want to get into soccer/football/futbol? (whichever name you prefer) 2276801876 Clubber

he's right though.
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:06 am

Become a Reggina fans they show those games on ESPN every week Laughing

But in all honesty if you want to support a quality mid-table club in England go for either Everton, Swansea,or Newcastle.

Since I hate the EPL I suggest a team either in Italy or Germany. Some quality mid table teams in both leagues would be Udinese, Catania, Inter (Laughing), and Sampdoria. In Germany you could support Schalke (not really mid-table), Hannover, Hamburg, and Werder Bremen.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:06 am

There's nothing wrong with supporting a big team.

A glory hunter imo isn't someone who supports a big club or a club who wins. To me it's someone who keeps switching which club they support. Like e.g. swapping to a club who wins, then when they start losing, supporting another club who's winning at the time etc.

If you pick any team and support it, whether it's a big/small team, then there's nothing wrong.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:09 am

If you want to suffer every single year, to the point that you don't give a f*ck anymore, start supporting Liverpool :bow:

a lot of goals, a lot of sexy flicks, but nothing in the end of the season to show for it.

Maple Leafs of soccer.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by ioilersrock448 Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:09 am

If you want to follow a md table team, I would suggest Hannover 96. A very nice team to watch play, they have incredible heart and passion but the skill isn't always there.

Out of curiosity what channels do you have that show games?
ioilersrock448
ioilersrock448
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:11 am

Just don't pick Arsenal, unless you like to settle for 4th place and consider it a trophy.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 am

I take whatever I said back. ROMA is the club for you! They have a partnership with Disney Orlando, which they just recently visited during Christmas. They also make trips to Fenway Park and are owned by the same owners of Liverpool and the Biston Red Sofks. Trust me when I say this Roma is the club for you. I think everyone on this forum can agree with this.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by abetelle Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 am

Harry Redknapp wrote:If you want to suffer every single year, to the point that you don't give a f*ck anymore, start supporting Liverpool :bow:

a lot of goals, a lot of sexy flicks, but nothing in the end of the season to show for it.

Maple Leafs of soccer.

This is very recent. Liverpool was the greatest of the English clubs until 2005 or so. And they will come back.

abetelle
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Levante

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 am

Just watch football on tv whenever u have time. You will end up supporting someone in the end. You can't pick a team. The team picks you
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by abetelle Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:22 am

juveman17 wrote:I take whatever I said back. ROMA is the club for you! They have a partnership with Disney Orlando, which they just recently visited during Christmas. They also make trips to Fenway Park and are owned by the same owners of Liverpool and the Biston Red Sofks. Trust me when I say this Roma is the club for you. I think everyone on this forum can agree with this.

Roma looks to be leveraging their U.S. connection, and the owners are not sports dummies. Good choice.

abetelle
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:22 am

Donuts wrote:Just don't pick Arsenal, unless you like to settle for 4th place and consider it a trophy.

Better than Chivas ever will be
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jozy Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:26 am

ioilersrock448 wrote:If you want to follow a md table team, I would suggest Hannover 96. A very nice team to watch play, they have incredible heart and passion but the skill isn't always there.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I can see with what some of you mean about just trying to watch as many games as I can so I could eventually fall in love with a team. Liverpool seems like a good suggestion and I have SIF Saurez and love him /bowdown (For those of you who play fifa 13 lol) But the bold in ioilersrock448 post is my biggest problem. I currently have no channel to watch teams and strictly go to my friends house since 1. We are best friends and lives right next to me. 2. Has internet that is so amazing that even I fell unworthy to use. So I use his PC to watch several games. What I want is to be able to do if I ever fall in love with a team for example Liverpool. How will I be able to watch them play and all their matches consistently and preferably live? The only channels I can actually is those ESPN channels but they rarely broadcast EPL/Serie A/Bundesliga/Liga BBVA/Ligue 1. So basically how will I be able to watch a team I fall in love with in the U.S with my horrible connection. I have Direct TV by the way.

Thanks for the help so far anyway guys, looks like I came to the right place to discuss football/soccer/futbol Smile

PS: I know about the rules of the game, Champions League, and the basics from each league around Europe in case any of you were wondering.

Edit: AS Roma also sounds like a very good suggestion, although I know he didn't light it up yesterday and comes off from the bench/sub sometimes, Michael Bradly is one of my favorite players in the USMNT :wub: Not that the team I'll follow has to have a Nat/Yankie in it anyway but AS Roma is a good suggestion Thumbs up
Thanks juveman17 :bow:

Last edited by Uncle Jozy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 am; edited 2 times in total

Uncle Jozy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:27 am

Yea Roma is only continuing to expand its influence in the US so really man you should support Roma. Perfect club for you.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:29 am

Don't tell him who to support Laughing RG is right, you don't pick the club, the club picks you.

Welcome to the forum mate. It's a family here Proud
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:29 am

And with Direct Tv you could get BeIn sports to watch Serie A. I cannot stress this enough, Roma is the club for you.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 am

Donuts wrote:Just don't pick Arsenal, unless you like to settle for 4th place and consider it a trophy.

Pretty much this, and its called soccer bro
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 am

Uncle Jozy wrote:
ioilersrock448 wrote:If you want to follow a md table team, I would suggest Hannover 96. A very nice team to watch play, they have incredible heart and passion but the skill isn't always there.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I can see with what some of you mean about just trying to watch as many games as I can so I could eventually fall in love with a team. Liverpool seems like a good suggestion and I have SIF Saurez and love him /bowdown (For those of you who play fifa 13 lol) But the bold in ioilersrock448 post is my biggest problem. I currently have no channel to watch teams and strictly go to my friends house since 1. We are best friends and lives right next to me. 2. Has internet that is so amazing that even I fell unworthy to use. So I use his PC to watch several games. What I want is to be able to do if I ever fall in love with a team for example Liverpool. How will I be able to watch them play and all their matches consistently and preferably live? The only channels I can actually is those ESPN channels but they rarely broadcast EPL/Serie A/Bundesliga/Liga BBVA/Ligue 1. So basically how will I be able to watch a team I fall in love with in the U.S with my horrible connection. I have Direct TV by the way.

Thanks for the help so far anyway guys, looks like I came to the right place to discuss football/soccer/futbol Smile

PS: I know about the rules of the game, Champions League, and the basics from each league around Europe in case any of you were wondering.

Edit: AS Roma also sounds like a very good suggestion, although I know he didn't light it up yesterday and comes off from the bench/sub sometimes, Michael Bradly is one of my favorite players in the USMNT :wub: Not that the team I'll follow has to have a Nat/Yankie in it anyway but AS Roma is a good suggestion Thumbs up

Try to get beIN Sports

I live in Dallas and it works fantastic at the place where I go watch games

Don't listen to these guys telling you to support "A" or "B' team. You start supporting a team because you like them, not because other people do

It's the same way in american football, baseball, basketball, etc

Last edited by Giggity5313 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 am

RealGunner wrote:

Better than Chivas ever will be
:fishing:

anywho Smile
For someone in the U.S it's better to support EPL or atleast easier to, they have so much coverage on television, I hear BEIN sports is the only station that has rights to Seria A and La Liga, and they mostly show La Liga, whereas FOX and espn etc, which most cable providers already offer, show EPL.
I hear many rumors of Florida pushing for a team, Beckham and others supporting it so maybe you will have a home team to support in due time.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by abetelle Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:33 am

There are some strange people that call it Calcio. LOL

abetelle
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next