Transdniestria - Moldova's de facto champions

+2
McAgger
vata
6 posters

Go down

Transdniestria - Moldova's de facto champions Empty Transdniestria - Moldova's de facto champions

Post by vata Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi All,

I remember both England and Scotland playing the might of Moldova over the years.

Anyway, the interesting interaction between politics and football rears its head in Moldova, where their champions come from an area of the country that wants to become independent. So i was thinking are there any comparable cases? ie. where a team has been so dominant in a league that they do not feel technically part of, ie through identity, passport etc? Here is much of the info i base this question on:

futbolgrad.com/sheriff-tiraspol-moldovas-de-facto-conquerors/

Or even perhaps, sides who are heavily politicised representations of countries or beliefs outside their borders. Too many questions?

Anyway, hope a few are interested!

Cheers
Vata

vata
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Transdniestria - Moldova's de facto champions Empty Re: Transdniestria - Moldova's de facto champions

Post by McAgger Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Barcelona comes to mind. Catalonia have been trying to get their independence for ages and Barca have dominated Spanish football after Madrid.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Transdniestria - Moldova's de facto champions Empty Re: Transdniestria - Moldova's de facto champions

Post by Art Morte Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 pm

I understand that there are countries where a part of the country might want independence, but I don't see how football would have anything to do with it.

Btw, Moldova is tiny, is it really a good idea to divide it even further lol?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:48 am

Transdniestria it's de facto independent actually. You have to cross a border to get into it from Moldavia. They are just not recognised internationally.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by vata Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 am

yeah, de facto as opposed to de jure. The article above explains the whole situation pretty well...

vata
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:04 am

I guess the only comparable situation is that of Barça. However, the club itself doesn't lead the independence process. Don't know if Sheriff does lead it.

However, Catalonia and Transdniestria are very different. We are a proper country, while they are a mob owned "country" (russian satellite). As everywhere, I support people's self determination, so if they feel they should become independent or part of Russia, I'm ok with that, though.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:44 am

The a-league has a New Zealand team in it
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Well Kiev was Champion when Ukraine declared independence in late 80's. Also, the break-up of Yugoslavia started with a match brawl involving Zagreb & Red Star.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down