Raptorgunner
urbaNRoots
SamuelJayC
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Arsenal v Bayern Munich Preview Empty Arsenal v Bayern Munich Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Arsenal v Bayern Munich, Tuesday 19th February 7.45pm, Champions League last 16, Emirates Stadium, ITV1

Arsenal v Bayern Munich Preview 60

Arsenal enter decisive period in season following cup exit

Saturday's fixture with Blackburn Rovers at the Emirates represented, in the eyes of most, Arsenal's one remaining opportunity to win a trophy in the current campaign. So when Arsène Wenger opted to rest the majority of his first-team, there were sceptical looks from fans and media alike. After the game, in which Colin Kazim-Richards' second-half strike dumped the Gunners out of the FA Cup, that scepticism grew.

"We had 11 internationals on the pitch at the start of the game," a defiant Wenger roared back at his post-match press conference. The manager had a very valid point. Those who began in place of the regular stars - Diaby, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Rosicky - have all represented their countries.

That Arsenal had 28 attempts on goal, 71% possession and 16 corners suggests, in truth, Wenger's men were a little unfortunate. When a side is this dominant in a game, they are often victorious. The worry for the Frenchman now, is that the next visitors to the Emirates are a side who have enjoyed similar statistics all season long - Bayern Munich.

Germans head to London in immaculate form

When Bayern Munich lost to Chelsea in their own back yard in last year's Champions League final, questions were asked. How would the German giants recover from such a defeat? Psychologists surrounding the club insisted the loss would "lead to depression." Yet, the opposite has happened.

Bayern have made the best ever start to a Bundesliga season. No side has ever held an 18 point lead after 21 games. No side has ever won the title before April 26th, but that's a stat that will, in all likeliness, be re-written this spring. The records don't stop there, either. Manuel Neuer has only conceded 7 Bundesliga goals this season; if he concedes 13 or less in the final 13 fixtures, Bayern will hold the greatest ever defensive record - this without Holger Badstuber, their number one centre-half. 20 points is the largest-ever title-winning margin, achieved by Bayern in 1973 - another record under severe threat.

FCB fans at the Allianz Arena sang "We're going to be champions in March" during the recent 4-0 win against Schalke, but coach Jupp Heynckes is more cautious. "We can't allow ourselves to be distracted from our path and will keep playing like that until we can't even be caught in theory," the 67-year old insisted.

Last meeting: Wenger's side exit competition

The last time Arsenal met Bayern Munich was in 8 years ago; March 2005. Thierry Henry's excellent finish past Oliver Kahn, following a fine assist from Ashley Cole, couldn't stop the Gunners exiting the Champions League following a 3-1 loss in Germany in the first leg.

Arsenal XI: Lehmann; Lauren Toure Senderos Cole; Ljungberg Flamini Vieira Reyes; Bergkamp Henry.

Bayern XI: Kahn; Sagnol Lucio Kovac Lizarazu; Salihamidzic Demichelis Ballack Deisler; Guerrero Pizarro.

Form Guide; Last four games

Arsenal

Arsenal 0-1 Blackburn
Sunderland 0-1 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-0 Stoke
Arsenal 2-2 Liverpool

Bayern Munich

Wolfsburg 0-2 Bayern
Bayern 4-0 Schalke
Mainz 0-3 Bayern
Stuttgart 0-2 Bayern

Match Facts

* There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 8 of Arsenal's last 10 games in the Champions League.

* Bayern Munich have won their last 11 games in all competitions, keeping 10 clean sheets.

* Bayern won all three Champions League group games at home, scoring 12 goals in the process.

* Bayern overall record against English teams is: W13 D13 L10; away from home it is: W2 D7 L6.

Team News:

Arsenal

Koscielny (calf) spent this morning in the gym & there is "uncertainty" over his availability. Monreal (ineligible) & Gibbs (thigh) are out.

Koscielny & Cazorla are one booking away from a suspension.

Bayern Munich

Badstuber (knee), Pizarro (ill) & Boateng (suspension) are out, but Martinez is back in the squad.

Dante, Martinez & Schweinsteiger are one booking away from a suspension.

Arsenal v Bayern Munich Preview AbEhEL9aps

Arsenal subs: Mannone, Jenkinson, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rosicky, Gervinho, Giroud

Bayern subs: Starke, Tymoshchuk, Rafinha, Gustavo, Shaqiri, Robben, Gómez

Pre-match views:

Arsène Wenger

"The game of the week is now the Champions League - you cannot compare the FA Cup to the Champions League. We focus on that - it is the best way. Everyone would like to be in our position - in England only two teams have qualified for the Champions League last 16. I don't know why we should not cope with that. What is important is that we focus on the quality of our game. It is played over 180 minutes, I have enough experience to know that. The first 90 are on Tuesday night and we have to put in our head that we have 180 minutes to qualify and not rush our game. We must play at our best and with belief. I believe in our quality. The fact is that in the last 11 games in the Premier League we have lost two, so we are on a good run overall."

Jupp Heynckes

"Over the years, they have been selling their best players and these other teams get in top world stars, so I don't think it is fair to blame Arsene Wenger for that. Arsenal have a lot of tradition and great history, and they stand for attractive football. Take away the game against Blackburn - they are fifth in the league and they have played a lot of positive football in the Champions League. Arsenal are a very good team, especially going into attack. We have to stand very tight in defence and then work our way forward. I do think that, if we play to our very top level, we can win here."

Mikel Arteta

"This is one of those games that everyone is ready to play - it is a pleasure to play for this club at this level. We have a great chance, we’re playing a good team but we are a very good team as well. We are very positive and can't wait for it to come and to give a good performance. It gives you extra motivation because you are facing top players and a top club and you want to show how good you are. “In the last few big games we have missed the first 20 to 25 minutes and gave the opposition probably too much respect. We want to face a different scenario on Tuesday and get into the game and show that we want to win it. It's massive to start well because if you do then you have a great chance of winning the big games. We know we have to face them from the off."

Bastian Schweinsteiger

"Of course the days of Tony Adams, Thierry Henry, have gone and maybe they are pining for those days, but still they have Wilshere - he was out for a long time but he is very difficult to play against. They are not the typical English team, they have Cazorla in there and they are very technical, but I don't know why they have not won trophies because they have the quality to win. Arsenal are one of the top ten teams in Europe."

Last edited by Samuelj29060 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 13 times in total
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Arsenal v Bayern Munich Preview Empty Re: Arsenal v Bayern Munich Preview

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:07 pm

If Koscielny won't make it I think we should play Coquelin at LB if possible. Need Sagna at RB, even if arguably out of form he's the best option to play against Ribery. Pretty sure Wenger knows that Ribery is "the main man" in Bayern's attack and we need Sagna's experience and quality against him, cause if you stop him you'll have a 50% better chance of getting a result but if you don't then this game will be hell.

So Sagna - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Vermaelen, if everyone fit but if Koscielny can't make it, Sagna - Mertesacker - Vermaelen - Coquelin.

Can't think of better options unless we play a 3 man backline with Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen. Actually it wouldn't be even that bad:

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Vermaelen
Coquelin Diaby Arteta Wilshere Ramsey
Cazorla
Walcott

or

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Vermaelen
Coquelin Cazorla Arteta Wilshere Ramsey
Walcott Giroud/Podolski

hmm
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Great preview Sam.

I just hope its a good game, dont think we can win, I hope we at least score.

--------------------------Szczesny
Coquelin----Sagna--------Mertesacker--------Vermaelen
---------------------Arteta-------Ramsey------------------
--------------------------Wilshere-----------------------------
Walcott------------------ Podolski-----------------Cazorla
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:17 pm

LOL clean sheet? good luck. I just hope we have some shots on target.

"It is vital to keep a clean sheet," the Frenchman told reporters on Monday morning. "Nil nil is not a disaster at home, but of course we will try to score goals."
"We are fully focused on tomorrow's game," he continued. "You cannot compare the FA Cup with the Champions League.

"We must focus on our own quality and we have to put into our heads that we have 180 minutes to qualify. We have a way to play that everyone in the team knows. We must play with a positive mentality.

“Everyone would like to be in our position - in England only two teams have qualified for the Champions League [last 16]. I don't know why we should not cope with that.

"We know what is important; it's not what people [say], it's what we do on the pitch."

"We are very positive," he told reporters. "They are a great team, but we are a great team. We are prepared."

Arteta also spoke about making up for Saturday's inept performance against Blackburn, before stressing the importance of opening the scoring.

"We have a great chance tomorrow to put that down," he added. "We want to show we are ready to win this game.

"If you score first, you have a great chance of winning these big games."
"He has been tremendous and has shown his character. He is a big winner."
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Arsenal v Bayern Munich Preview Brace-yourselves

It's about to get real.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:51 pm

I fear Bayern scoring early ... i guess we are going to play the counter
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:32 pm

That Bayern bench is a piss take Laughing

Spoiler:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Arsenal 3-2 Bayern

Second tie: hopefully a 1-1 or 2-2
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Wenger"We have to put it in our head that we have 180 minutes to qualify and not to rush our game.

"If I listen to the questions, we are not favourites but I trust our quality, our spirit and our mental strength.

Are we ever going to see this? hmm

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:56 pm

This shows how much Wenger's players have let him down. The man is on the verge of losing it, I have never seen Wenger so pissed off.
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Julias he has been let down all season and he had good chance to get some players but he chose not too.

I cant never fee sorry for a man who collects 7.5m a year and complains about other EPL players being over paid.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:36 pm

I don't know why but I have a good feeling about tomorrow. There's no reason why I should, all logic dictates there shouldn't be, but that's how football is sometimes. Loosing to Blackburn almost makes it better. Bayern couldn't be riding any higher right now and we are about as low as we have been in 16 years.

I say the gods of luck and chance rule in our favor tomorrow.

Last edited by VendettaRed07 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Wenger so angry in press conference. Can't see him taking another season of it if i'm honest.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:51 pm

As a fan, I'd rather go into these games with a sense of excitement and anticipation, rather than fear. It's game like this that actually make the Champions League worth playing in and I'm looking forward to playing such a great team.

Bayern's record does warrant fear, but I don't foresee this being the slaughter most are thinking it will be. We'll probably be playing predominantly on the counter attack and I think that would suit us because we have the pace to do so. Wilshere and Cazorla, for example, are quicker than Martinez and Schweinsteiger and might be able to get in behind. If they do, there could be room behind both fullbacks, particularly Alaba on the left, who will spend a lot of the game pushing up the pitch.

Moreover, chances are Bayern are going to playing a high line and looking to press us heavily, so if Walcott does play down the middle, he might get some joy, especially if he isolates van Buyten.

Bayern's threat is obvious and our own make-shift backline are going to have to play extremely well to shut them out, but these are the nights where miracles can occur.

I believe we can get a good result if we play without fear and to our maximum. Ultimately, all I really want is a memorable night of European football; even if we end up losing or drawing, I'd still be pleased if we really made a good go of it.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 pm

One of your best Preview Sam!

I am excited about this match in a way. Bayern are like our older brother in term of playing style and philosophy. In a better term, they are a superior version of us. They have been excellent this season in nearly every department.

However we should also be learning from them how to get to this stage. They were defeated at home in the CL final and lost out the league title to bundesliga. But they rebuilt their side without actually changing their core, something we are suspect of. They learnt from their mistakes and now they are better than they ever were.

In terms of the actual game. We go as underdogs over the two legs which is obvious. But that doesn't mean we can't win. Football is unpredictable and we do have players who on their day can beat the best. We shouldn't go in feeling they are better than us even though they are, but we should go in with a mentality which beat Barcelona 2 years ago or which beat Milan in the 2nd leg at home.

I think Arsene will play the side which has been getting the points in the league recently. But he can also go for Walcott upfront with an extra midfielder in Ramsey which will actually be a good idea considering their own midfielders are one of the best in the world. Ball retention would be the key and Ramsey is in decent form and has an engine which we need.

but that would mean Cazorla at RW and seeing his lack of tracking back, it can become costly since Alba would have a very easy game on the left flank along with Ribery. This means that to nullify that threat, Arsene can either play Ramsey there which none of us want, or he can go with Theo there which would probably make more sense. But that would then mean we play total counter attacking football.

That is probably the game plan. We are faster than them, that's our strongest point. We have a quicker midfield and a quicker attack against their CB's specially.

In the end i hope our team tries hard and make us proud.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks for compliments as always guys Thumbs up

Edited the preview to say:

Players who will miss 2nd leg if booked on Tuesday: Cazorla, Koscielny, Dante, Martínez & Schweinsteiger.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCARTTS Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:00 am

I've lost hope with Atsenal.

Anyway, as for this cruncher, we simply have to avoid losing!
SUPERCARTTS
SUPERCARTTS
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 am

Szczesny
Sagna Mert Kos Verm
Ramsey Wilshere Cazorla
walcott Giroud Podolski

This is the lineup that I would like to see.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:19 am

---------------Szczesny-------------------

Sagna---Mert---Koscielny---Vermaelen

-----------Ramsey-----Arteta-------------

Cazorla--------Wilshere----------Podolski

-----------------Walcott------------------

I think this would give us the best chance of getting a result.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:01 am

Good luck Laughing
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by mani88 Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 am

Great Preview Sam as usual

Szczesny
Sagna Koscielny Mertesacker Vermaelen
..................Wishere Arteta............
.......................Cazorla.....................
Walcott............Giroud............Podolski

Walcott wide would shut the free run of thier LB a bit. When In possession I would sway cazorla to the left to compliment Podolski and asking Wilshere to make those run in the box and letting Vermaelen stay at the back.

....................Szczseny
........Koscielny Mertesacker Vermaelen
...........................Arteta...................
Sagna..............Wilshere..............Cazorla
Walcott...........Giroud..........podolski
mani88
mani88
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:55 am

Fantastic preview Sam

Lads will make us proud tonight

Giroud may not start?
wish atleast that means no hopeful crossing into the box

plus Theo can force them deeper or they risk being exposed
maybe more space to work in middle but it aint Reading we are playin
Santi if starts on right he can drag Alaba out of position and we should make sure we can exploit that

Ramsey' Hard work and Passing ability can make huge difference
but in end it is how our defence performs that decides our fate
as Arsene said nil nil aint disaster at Home Razz

Hope Kos makes it
this is just when opponent feel overconfident that you should bring them back down to earth
Come on Arsenal Heart
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Apparently Laurent Koscielny has been passed fit to play after a major fitness scare according to John Cross.

Also Arsenal likely line up according to Mirror: Szczesny; Sagna, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen; Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey; Cazorla, Podolski, Walcott.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:02 pm

If that's our line up who will u play up front, podolski or Walcott? I can't help but see it as a risk if it's walcott
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:If that's our line up who will u play up front, podolski or Walcott? I can't help but see it as a risk if it's walcott

I think it's like this:

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Vermaelen
Arteta Wilshere
Ramsey Cazorla Podolski
Walcott
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down